PDA

View Full Version : Cuse Fan here

Arctic Orange
01-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Man, I havent been on this site since 2005 I think. It was an awesome site back then, I was glad to see it up and running still and better than ever.

So we are headed to the ACC. Bringing a few teams with us, Pitt, ND and Lville, and happily leaving UCONN where they belong. It took a few days to soak in, but it seems like everyone is pretty excited for the move. I think its great for our up and coming football program, and our basketball team will fit right into your historic conference.

We travel hard, and have a lot of Cuse fans in the NC area. I feel like its next to impossible to get tickets inside Cameron tho eh?

Hoping that we actually get some home games against you in the Carrier Dome (for some reason I see this game being played at MSG) and I cant wait for the first Cameron Indoor game.

How do you guys feel about the additions? How do you think we will match up against Duke?

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Man, I havent been on this site since 2005 I think. It was an awesome site back then, I was glad to see it up and running still and better than ever.

So we are headed to the ACC. Bringing a few teams with us, Pitt and Lville, and happily leaving UCONN where they belong. It took a few days to soak in, but it seems like everyone is pretty excited for the move. I think its great for our up and coming football program, and our basketball team will fit right into your historic conference.

We travel hard, and have a lot of Cuse fans in the NC area. I feel like its next to impossible to get tickets inside Cameron tho eh?

Hoping that we actually get some home games against you in the Carrier Dome (for some reason I see this game being played at MSG) and I cant wait for the first Cameron Indoor game.

How do you guys feel about the additions? How do you think we will match up against Duke?
Well, you guys bring another fairly respectable coach to the conference. :D Actually, It didn't hit me until just now that we will have the #1 and #2 wins leaders coaching against each regularly for at least a few years!

Welcome to the ACC!

hurleyfor3
01-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Welcome aboard!

I think a lot of us wanted Syracuse during the mid-2000s expansion, assuming expansion was inevitable. I certainly did.

Tickets to games at Cameron aren't necessarily easy, but are easier than people think. (Most sporting events are this way.) We don't have great memories of the Who-Needs-Air-Conditioning-In-Upstate-New-York Dome, but that's not because of the Cuse. :|

K and Boeheim obviously have a very close relationship nowadays, and I think you're going to find a lot of mutual respect among fanbases. However I think Boeheim is plotting to make sure K never gets the "most wins at one school" record. And might be trying to outlast K for the overall wins record. :eek:

timmy c
01-22-2013, 02:48 PM

So we are headed to the ACC. Bringing a few teams with us, Pitt, ND and Lville, and happily leaving UCONN where they belong. It took a few days to soak in, but it seems like everyone is pretty excited for the move. I think its great for our up and coming football program, and our basketball team will fit right into your historic conference.

Arctic Orange, Welcome!

Looking forward to some epic battles in the near future against cuse and boehiem.
Any news on how Gbinije has adjusted?

Olympic Fan
01-22-2013, 03:02 PM
Don't know if it's widely known, but Boeheim payed his last college basketball game against Duke in Raleigh.

March 12, 1966 -- Duke beat Syracuse 91-81 in the East Regional title game in Reynolds Colisem. Duke, normally a man-to-man team in that era, used a 1-3-1 zone to stifle Syracuse star Dave Bing (later the mayor of Detroit). Boeheim had some success from the corner. His shooting kept the game close. The zone was the brainchild of Duke assistant Chuck Daly, the later Hall f Fame coach.

K and Boeheim are friends, which is why they've played just twice (since K was at Duke ... don't know about Army):

in December of 1989, the Cuse beat Duke 78-76 in the old ACC/BigEast Challenge in Greensboro
in March of 1998, Duke routed Syracuse 80-67 in the NCAA Sweet 16 in the TropicanaDome in St. Pete, Fla.

Odd .. all our all-time meetings (2-2 split) have been on neutral courts. Syracuse has never played in Durham. Duke's only trip to Syracuse was for the 2000 East Regional -- when Duke lost to Florida in the Sweet 16.

wilko
01-22-2013, 03:08 PM
The ACC has worked very very hard in recent years to abandon its focus on actual basketball skill, fundamentals and famed finesse. It has been with replaced with athletes who happen to play basketball and use their physical skills to play a form basketbrawl.

I think you'll find it about the same as the Big East Ball for the most part. The biggest curve will be learning the Neuroses of each Fanbase.

I'm kind of excited for the new teams. JB and RP in Cameron, whats not to love? I think you guys are great additions to the ACC. Welcome.

Arctic Orange
01-22-2013, 03:09 PM
Well, you guys bring another fairly respectable coach to the conference. :D Actually, It didn't hit me until just now that we will have the #1 and #2 wins leaders coaching against each regularly for at least a few years!

Welcome to the ACC!

My wifes friend invited another girl (we will call her jane, as I forgot her name) over to our house saturday night. Jane said her father was roomates at West Point with K. I thought that was pretty cool.

I've always had a great amount of respect for Coach K. Great teams, great graduation rates, great records. Thats what its all about. I love the relationship between him and JB

scottdude8
01-22-2013, 03:21 PM
I actually wrote a column (http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/acc-had-make-additions) about the addition of 'Cuse when it was announced a year and half ago. While I think, in general, most ACC fans would prefer the conference stay the same in order to maintain tradition, getting a team like Syracuse was the optimal solution. The fact was if the ACC didn't expand, it would have been left out in the cold in the shifting college landscape—but by getting a team like Syracuse it not only secured its relevance long into the future, but did so in a common-sense manner. The ACC is maintaining its East Coast geographical location (for the most part, Notre Dame obviously changed that) and is staying in the eastern time zone (which Coach K himself emphasized as of paramount importance in conference realignment) while adding quality athletic and academic institutions to its ranks.

In short, I don't think anyone would say that conference realignment is ideal. But that being said, since we had to expand, getting 'Cuse was just about as well as we could do.

Arctic Orange
01-22-2013, 04:08 PM
I actually wrote a column (http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/acc-had-make-additions) about the addition of 'Cuse when it was announced a year and half ago. While I think, in general, most ACC fans would prefer the conference stay the same in order to maintain tradition, getting a team like Syracuse was the optimal solution. The fact was if the ACC didn't expand, it would have been left out in the cold in the shifting college landscape—but by getting a team like Syracuse it not only secured its relevance long into the future, but did so in a common-sense manner. The ACC is maintaining its East Coast geographical location (for the most part, Notre Dame obviously changed that) and is staying in the eastern time zone (which Coach K himself emphasized as of paramount importance in conference realignment) while adding quality athletic and academic institutions to its ranks.

In short, I don't think anyone would say that conference realignment is ideal. But that being said, since we had to expand, getting 'Cuse was just about as well as we could do.

Agree 100% with everything you said

brevity
01-22-2013, 04:34 PM
Man, I havent been on this site since 2005 I think.

Welcome to DBR. It's funny... I haven't paid attention to Syracuse since about 2005. You guys still play some zone?

IBleedBlue
01-22-2013, 04:52 PM
I am looking forward to see Syracuse zone stiffle Roy William's offense..which is usually very big man based and not very shooting based...without good shooters, it's going to be very hard for them to crack the S's zone..

gus
01-22-2013, 04:57 PM
We don't have great memories of the Who-Needs-Air-Conditioning-In-Upstate-New-York Dome...

I'm going to guess that you're class of 2005 or later?

Arctic Orange
01-22-2013, 06:34 PM
Arctic Orange, Welcome!

Looking forward to some epic battles in the near future against cuse and boehiem.
Any news on how Gbinije has adjusted?

I havent heard anything about Gbinije's progress since he has been at SU. Right now we are wondering if he is going to have to play any minutes at PG next year. What was the story with him leaving Duke? Playing time? I figure it couldnt be anything bad, as I'm sure JB and K had a few conversations before the transfer. JB wouldnt have taken him if he was hearing bad things from K

Newton_14
01-22-2013, 10:37 PM
I havent heard anything about Gbinije's progress since he has been at SU. Right now we are wondering if he is going to have to play any minutes at PG next year. What was the story with him leaving Duke? Playing time? I figure it couldnt be anything bad, as I'm sure JB and K had a few conversations before the transfer. JB wouldnt have taken him if he was hearing bad things from K

I'll join the others is saying a great big welcome to the site. We enjoy having rational opposing fans here to bring different perspectives. I have mad respect for Boeheim, and always pulled for you guys in the Big East battles with Georgetown and the rest. I love Mullin and Walter Berry from back in the day. I am anti-expansion, but recognize the current landscape demands it for Football to avoid being left behind. I think we are adding the absolute best schools we could have gotten. I wanted no part of UConn or Rutgers. Getting you guys, Pitt, Notre Dame, and Louisville is as about as well we could have done really.

Regarding Gbinije, we loved the guy. I personally feel he was pressured a bit by family members to make the move based on playing time. Had it been solely up to him, I feel he likely would have stuck it out. He actually could have earned a few more minutes last season had he embraced the role of defensive stopper, but apparently he seemed reluctant to grab that role. Plus, he was always going to be competing with Murphy, plus Rasheed was already signed, and we were heavy into Amile also, so PT was going to be based on battling like heck against several guys. Great kid though, and I hope he has a solid career with you guys. Given that Hood came on board and Jabari signed, I think Silent G made the right decision for him in the end.

-bdbd
01-22-2013, 11:58 PM
Welcome to the ACC!

Welcome Arctic Orange! Please plan to post here often - we welcome fans of other teams, especially those of teams we really respect, like The Orange! (as long as the tone stays civil) :rolleyes:

Best thing about Rosenrosen's (bolded) statement is that NEITHER of those winningest coaches ever had (or will have) any connection to the Dump on the Bump (a.k.a. Chapel Hill)!

Arctic, I used to live near Syracuse in Rochester - wonderful place, extremely nice people, but it was just that damn 9-month winter that ultimately drove me away!! I did make it to the Dome for some great FB and BB games, and can't wait to see Duke playing there again. As others have pointed out, K and JB are great friends, and Boeheim actually is on K's USA Basketball Olympic staff I believe. To that end, on those rare occasions that you see Duke switch to a zone you'll probably recognize aspects of it...since they probably originated from your coach.

I expect that Syracuse's presence will really change the dynamic in ACC basketball, as this has been, for the most part over the last ten years, a two-horse race in the ACC -- Duke versus the Forces of Darkness from Chapel Hill. Every once in a while MD or NC State (just called "State" around here) might pop up and be good for a year or two, but it always has come back to those main two schools, just 8 miles apart. With Syracuse and L'ville joining, that "two horse race" appears to be becoming a bit more interesting. Add to that mix that NC State appears to be on the rise - preseason ACC favorite this year (though most here would disagree with that expectation).

But to answer your question, Cameron (CIS) is pretty small, just a bit over 9,000, but we think it is the best environment in college ball today. You CAN get tickets from scalpers or secondary markets (online) for most games, except for maybe the UNC game.

In any event, welcome aboard. Hope to see you back on this site often!!

throatybeard
01-23-2013, 12:09 AM
First year I taught, as a literature TA at NC State (not linguistics), one of my [many] students who was a tad older than me was a Syracuse fan. He chose to live in Durham rather than Raleigh, so I liked that. I'm Grampa Simpson with an onion on my belt.

The main thing I remember was I met with that guy at Brueggers to talk about his paper, but after 8 minutes of that, we just ended up talking basketball.

I wish I still lived in a world where Syracuse were playing WVU and Penn State on the regular, but here we are.

Unlike some people on this board, I welcome all of our new members, because I understand what a complicated creature a research university is. Welcome Syracuse, and welcome the rest.

burnspbesq
01-23-2013, 12:10 AM
And stick around after basketball season ends. Some of us bribe the monitors to look the other way and we turn this into Duke Lacrosse Report in April and May. :cool:

-bdbd
01-23-2013, 12:24 AM
Oh, and I generally would echo Scottdude's comments about feelings towards Conference Realignment. Along Tobacco Road you'll hear a generally disdainful feeling towards it. Recently, Coach K even came out loudly against it on his National Radio show. The ACC has always been very proud of its 50+ year heritage, and success. So the recent defection of MD, while we thought very little of their oft-rioting, obscenity-chanting, bottle-throwing fans, was particularly traumatic for us.

But, since Football is driving all of this, it is imperative that the conference get its collective FB act together ASAP.

* Note: The disdain for realignment has NOTHING to do with Syracuse in particular, but mostly to do with the loss of traditions, history, rivalries, etc. For example, until just a few years ago all ACC teams played each other twice a season in BB, so there was no "unbalanced scheduling" issues, and you were sure to play your historic rivals at least twice every season, once at their p[lace and once at yours. (Many Terp fans claimed that the loss of the 2 games a year with their "rivals" at Duke was part of what made them receptive to bailing on the ACC.)

A final question: who do you see developing as Syracuse's main rival in this new ACC going forward? BC? Pitt?

OldPhiKap
01-23-2013, 08:10 AM
Welcome (back) Arctic Orange, I look forward to your insight on Syracyuse and joining the ACC in general.

Y'all have a great program and great coach. Look forward to seeing Jim B. in Cameron, and in road games at your place. Looks like a great atmosphere.

Three things you need to know about the ACC:

1. Zone defenses were banned in 2009. Sorry, can't play them.
2. "Y'all" is a third person plural pronoun, not a singular one. If it an especially large group, "all y'all" is acceptable.
3. We don't really love grits, but just eat them to annoy visitors and because Momma made them when we were young'uns. (And if someone says something bad about my Mamma's grits, there's fixin' to be some thumpin' right directly).

Welcome to the board! OPK

TruBlu
01-23-2013, 08:58 AM
3. We don't really love grits, but just eat them to annoy visitors and because Momma made them when we were young'uns. (And if someone says something bad about my Mamma's grits, there's fixin' to be some thumpin' right directly).

Gotta correct OPK a little. We do love our grits! Add butter, red-eye gravy, and bacon; then the grits taste just like butter, red-eye gravy, and bacon. Note: If you are doing any home repairs, grits also make some pretty good spackling for sheet rock. (Just keep the pets away.)

Welcome to the board, and welcome to the ACC!

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-23-2013, 10:15 AM
Welcome (back) Arctic Orange, I look forward to your insight on Syracyuse and joining the ACC in general.

Y'all have a great program and great coach. Look forward to seeing Jim B. in Cameron, and in road games at your place. Looks like a great atmosphere.

Three things you need to know about the ACC:

1. Zone defenses were banned in 2009. Sorry, can't play them.
2. "Y'all" is a third person plural pronoun, not a singular one. If it an especially large group, "all y'all" is acceptable.

Welcome to the board! OPK
I'm with you on most of this, but about the grits... I have to ask if you've had them properly prepared... so creamy and very slightly sweet with butter made from unturned milk. Can be sublime.

As they say in New Orleans, Bonjour, y'all! Welcome to our neighborhood!

UrinalCake
01-23-2013, 12:45 PM
Regarding boeheim and the career wins record - coming into this season K was 40 wins ahead of him. Assuming they both win 30 games per season for the rest of their careers, Boeheim would have to coach about a season and a half after K retires to catch him. K is three years younger, but there's also the possibility he could move into a role with the National team. Not trying to start any rumors here, but it doesn't seem unreasonable that he could take over Jerry Colangelo's spot down the road. So even though K's not going anywhere any time soon, it's also not entirely out if the realm of possibility that Boeheim could ultimately catch him.

Arctic Orange
01-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Oh, and I generally would echo Scottdude's comments about feelings towards Conference Realignment. Along Tobacco Road you'll hear a generally disdainful feeling towards it. Recently, Coach K even came out loudly against it on his National Radio show. The ACC has always been very proud of its 50+ year heritage, and success. So the recent defection of MD, while we thought very little of their oft-rioting, obscenity-chanting, bottle-throwing fans, was particularly traumatic for us.

But, since Football is driving all of this, it is imperative that the conference get its collective FB act together ASAP.

* Note: The disdain for realignment has NOTHING to do with Syracuse in particular, but mostly to do with the loss of traditions, history, rivalries, etc. For example, until just a few years ago all ACC teams played each other twice a season in BB, so there was no "unbalanced scheduling" issues, and you were sure to play your historic rivals at least twice every season, once at their p[lace and once at yours. (Many Terp fans claimed that the loss of the 2 games a year with their "rivals" at Duke was part of what made them receptive to bailing on the ACC.)

A final question: who do you see developing as Syracuse's main rival in this new ACC going forward? BC? Pitt?

We have some history with BC, and we always play Pitt hard and physical, so I could see that growing into something more. Man, it kills me. I loved our rivalries within the big east. I really hate that football money ruined a great basketball conference, but I'm glad we were lucky enough to be picked up by such a great all around conference. It would great to see Wake, NC state, Gtech and Maryland get back up to where they were in the early 2000s. (I wouldnt mind UNC playing at the level of Holy Cross tho)

ForkFondler
01-23-2013, 03:25 PM
We have some history with BC, and we always play Pitt hard and physical, so I could see that growing into something more. Man, it kills me. I loved our rivalries within the big east. I really hate that football money ruined a great basketball conference, but I'm glad we were lucky enough to be picked up by such a great all around conference. It would great to see Wake, NC state, Gtech and Maryland get back up to where they were in the early 2000s. (I wouldnt mind UNC playing at the level of Holy Cross tho)

Perhaps you haven't heard that in 2014 Maryland is leaving and Notre Dame and Louisville are coming. Also, still room for one more. So, welcome to the new ACC where Carolina can still GTH.

Arctic Orange
01-23-2013, 04:29 PM
Perhaps you haven't heard that in 2014 Maryland is leaving and Notre Dame and Louisville are coming. Also, still room for one more. So, welcome to the new ACC where Carolina can still GTH.

Chalk that whole post up to me trying to work, and post on msg boards at the same time lol. Idk how Lville and ND slipped my mind.

Johnboy
01-23-2013, 04:55 PM
I'll join the others is saying a great big welcome to the site. We enjoy having rational opposing fans here to bring different perspectives. I have mad respect for Boeheim, and always pulled for you guys in the Big East battles with Georgetown and the rest. I love Mullin and Walter Berry from back in the day.

You loved them so much you forgot where they played in college? ;-)

throatybeard
01-23-2013, 05:12 PM

Second person.