PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to UNC, next PG recruit

JasonEvans
01-22-2013, 01:06 PM
I dunno what Roy is selling over there but he seems to be landing a PG every year!

First, in 2012, he got Marcus Paige. Paige was a solid top 30 recruit.
Next, in the class of 2013, he landed Nate Britt. Not an elite prospect, but the consensus is that he is a top 75 recruit.
And now, just yesterday, he got a commitment (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/8867062/joel-berry-commits-unc-tar-heels-coach-says) from 2014 PG Joel Berry. Most everyone has him ranked in the top 15 in the country.

I will say this, I have to wonder if part of what attracted Berry was the fact that Paige is not blowing anyone away thus far, perhaps indicating that it will be much easier for Berry to get playing time right away in Chapel Hill.

-Jason "Roy needs elite PGs who play at a fast pace to make his system work -- so Berry was a tremendously important recruit for him" Evans

uh_no
01-22-2013, 01:18 PM
I dunno what Roy is selling over there but he seems to be landing a PG every year!

First, in 2012, he got Marcus Paige. Paige was a solid top 30 recruit.
Next, in the class of 2013, he landed Nate Britt. Not an elite prospect, but the consensus is that he is a top 75 recruit.
And now, just yesterday, he got a commitment (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/8867062/joel-berry-commits-unc-tar-heels-coach-says) from 2014 PG Joel Berry. Most everyone has him ranked in the top 15 in the country.

I will say this, I have to wonder if part of what attracted Berry was the fact that Paige is not blowing anyone away thus far, perhaps indicating that it will be much easier for Berry to get playing time right away in Chapel Hill.

-Jason "Roy needs elite PGs who play at a fast pace to make his system work -- so Berry was a tremendously important recruit for him" Evans

I hear swahili is a popular major.

moonpie23
01-22-2013, 01:31 PM
Nataka kwenda kwa sababu i don UNC 't kuwa kuhudhuria darasa na i ' ve been aliiambia tutakuwa na taji la kitaifa kila mwaka kabla i kwenda NBA na kupata mamilioni ya dola.

AncientPsychicT
01-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Nataka kwenda kwa sababu i don UNC 't kuwa kuhudhuria darasa na i ' ve been aliiambia tutakuwa na taji la kitaifa kila mwaka kabla i kwenda NBA na kupata mamilioni ya dola.

Oh, na mimi kupata kufanya chochote mimi nataka na wasichana kwa sababu utawala hajali. Kisha nikasikia Humtumikia mvinyo na jibini katika kila mchezo nyumbani. Funzo!

:eek: :cool:

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-22-2013, 01:54 PM
I wonder what the Over/Under is on number of PGs Ol' Roy recruits over or throws under the bus through, say, 2016. :D

timmy c
01-22-2013, 01:57 PM
I hear swahili is a popular major.

Ol' "lion king" Roy says, "Hakuna Matata!"

wilko
01-22-2013, 02:01 PM
I think I found Roys pitch--
Hes hitting them with a version of the Nigerian Prince Scam letter

alteran
01-22-2013, 02:22 PM
I think I found Roys pitch--
Hes hitting them with a version of the Nigerian Prince Scam letter

Heelo Mr. Joel Berry,

My name is Roy William. I am Minister of Offense from poor nation of Chappel heel. We have many problem lately, many more than even Haiti.

As current minister of Offense I can make many offer. We have, well, only one degrees to offer you, but after former Govenor Ricky Martin "investigate," I can promises smooth sailing thorough diploma mill program.

And FREE PARKING!

Please sign this leter of incent todays!11!!!

Thanks you,
Roy William

UrinalCake
01-22-2013, 02:37 PM
I'm enjoying this thread and the heavy dose of sarcasm that comes with it. I think the ideal scenario for us is for Roy to keep bringing in guys who are ranked in the 20-50 range. Not good enough to be elite, yet good enough to take up scholarships and possibly prevent other guys from coming.

Class of '94
01-22-2013, 03:04 PM
I'm enjoying this thread and the heavy dose of sarcasm that comes with it. I think the ideal scenario for us is for Roy to keep bringing in guys who are ranked in the 20-50 range. Not good enough to be elite, yet good enough to take up scholarships and possibly prevent other guys from coming.

And on a more serious side, I also wonder if this is a sign that Roy is not very comfortable about his PG situation; and he is becoming very anxious and concerned to the point where he is not willing to wait on a elite PG to decide on UNC; but rather choosing to take the first PG that accepts his offer. I know this has been his usual tactic but it seems even more pronounced with his PG situation.

rsvman
01-22-2013, 03:47 PM
I think he's just trying to find guys who can run fast enough to stay in front of the bus with which he's running them over!:p

CrazyNotCrazie
01-22-2013, 03:57 PM
They will also have Stillman White coming back from a mission in a few years, so he will likely end up in Berry's class unless he redshirts a year - I believe he was on scholarship? I don't think he will compete with these guys for minutes, but that will be yet another scholarship devoted to a PG.

UrinalCake
01-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Since we'll be able to play an all-6'8" team (see the Jabari thread for details) maybe Roy wants to play an all-6'0"-ish team with Paige, Britt, Berry, White, and (hopefully not) Tyus jones

timmy c
01-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Since we'll be able to play an all-6'8" team (see the Jabari thread for details) maybe Roy wants to play an all-6'0"-ish team with Paige, Britt, Berry, White, and (hopefully not) Tyus jones

No Tyus, but he could play the much hyped -- 4 out 1 in. :)

gumbomoop
01-22-2013, 05:18 PM
And on a more serious side, I also wonder if this is a sign that Roy is not very comfortable about his PG situation; and he is becoming very anxious and concerned to the point where he is not willing to wait on an elite PG to decide on UNC; but rather choosing to take the first PG that accepts his offer. I know this has been his usual tactic but it seems even more pronounced with his PG situation.

From what I've read and seen , Berry [I]is an elite PG. From what I've seen of Paige, my opinion is that he could become a very good PG at UNC, possibly next season, or in 2014-'15. From what I've read and seen of Britt, he's very good, maybe not elite, but skilled. IMO, both Paige and Britt could become good to very good college PGs. Not of the Felton/Lawson calibre, mind you.

So the issue I see is simply too many PGs by 2014-'15. Assuming no transfers [possible] or early jumps to NBA [unlikely for Paige and Britt, at least until they prove they're college-elite and NBA-ready], the competition for minutes at PG should be serious in CH:

2013-'14 -- (So) Paige, (Fr) Britt
2014-'15 -- (Jr) Paige, (So) Britt, (Fr) Berry
2015-'16 -- (Sr) Paige, (Jr) Britt, (So) Berry

All these guys are PG-sized, so if Roy is going to play 2 [surely not 3] of them togethere, he's going to have shorter-than-ideal-sized PGs-pretending-to-be-combos playing SG for a couple of seasons. Better, perhaps, on O at least, than this season's Paige/Strickland duo have done so far. [Curses upon them, 9F 9F 9F, here's hoping they don't improve.]

roywhite
01-22-2013, 05:25 PM
Roy seems determined not to find himself in his current roster spot....not enough talent at PG or in the post. He's got the PG progression mentioned here, and also has commitments from 2013 bigs Kennedy Meeks and Isaiah Hicks (who may be a combo forward, perhaps more toward the PF).

In the meantime, K is loading up on the intermediate/wing guys.

Another divergence in the makeup of the two rivals.

oldnavy
01-22-2013, 05:32 PM
From what I've read and seen , Berry [I]is an elite PG. From what I've seen of Paige, my opinion is that he could become a very good PG at UNC, possibly next season, or in 2014-'15. From what I've read and seen of Britt, he's very good, maybe not elite, but skilled. IMO, both Paige and Britt could become good to very good college PGs. Not of the Felton/Lawson calibre, mind you.

So the issue I see is simply too many PGs by 2014-'15. Assuming no transfers [possible] or early jumps to NBA [unlikely for Paige and Britt, at least until they prove they're college-elite and NBA-ready], the competition for minutes at PG should be serious in CH:

All these guys are PG-sized, so if Roy is going to play 2 [surely not 3] of them togethere, he's going to have shorter-than-ideal-sized PGs-pretending-to-be-combos playing SG for a couple of seasons. Better, perhaps, on O at least, than this season's Paige/Strickland duo have done so far. [Curses upon them, 9F 9F 9F, here's hoping they don't improve.]

Doesn't it seem counter intuitive to rotate PG's during a game? You would think that you would want continuity and consistency at that spot more so than any other position. Why load up, sounds like a receipe for unhappiness.... let's keep our fingers crossed!

oldnavy
01-22-2013, 05:37 PM
Roy seems determined not to find himself in his current roster spot....not enough talent at PG or in the post. He's got the PG progression mentioned here, and also has commitments from 2013 bigs Kennedy Meeks and Isaiah Hicks (who may be a combo forward, perhaps more toward the PF).

In the meantime, K is loading up on the intermediate/wing guys.

Another divergence in the makeup of the two rivals.

Has anyone seen Kennedy Meeks play? This sounds bad, but I only saw him on the ESPNU signing show, and well.... he "looks" like he would be a better offensive lineman than an 'up and down' the court big in UNC's fast paced system....

Is his appearance deceptive?? He wouldn't be the first kid that looked like he would be slow and wasn't for sure. Just curious.

roywhite
01-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Has anyone seen Kennedy Meeks play? This sounds bad, but I only saw him on the ESPNU signing show, and well.... he "looks" like he would be a better offensive lineman than an 'up and down' the court big in UNC's fast paced system....

Is his appearance deceptive?? He wouldn't be the first kid that looked like he would be slow and wasn't for sure. Just curious.

Sean May says hello from France.

Not just burgers and fries these days (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sean_May_Paris-Levallois_warm-up.JPG)

Monmouth77
01-22-2013, 06:05 PM
Sean May says hello from France.

Not just burgers and fries these days (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sean_May_Paris-Levallois_warm-up.JPG)

Looks like he's eating his fair share of ham and gruyere croissants though.

DukeUsul
01-22-2013, 06:13 PM
Roy must have gotten a call from Ben Howland that he'd be looking for a PG in two years.

TruBlu
01-22-2013, 06:18 PM
No Tyus, but he could play the much hyped -- 4 out 1 in. :)

Or, at the end of games to protect a lead (hopefully not), he could go to the "1 corner offense".

Kdogg
01-22-2013, 07:35 PM
There was a time that UNC would never recruit over a current player. As with a lot of things in college basketball - the times they are a changin.

Newton_14
01-22-2013, 10:05 PM

And don't forget Stillman White will be back as a Soph in the 14-15 Season, so they will have 4 total PG's on the roster with Jr Paige, Soph's White & Britt, and Frosh Berry. That is a a lot of PG's on one squad and all will want to see the court including White who can point to his admirable play in the NCAA Tourney as a Freshman as evidence that he deserves a chance to earn PT. Talk about a logjam....

gumbomoop
01-23-2013, 12:02 AM
And don't forget Stillman White will be back as a Soph in the 14-15 Season, so they will have 4 total PG's on the roster with Jr Paige, Soph's White & Britt, and Frosh Berry. That is a a lot of PG's on one squad and all will want to see the court including White who can point to his admirable play in the NCAA Tourney as a Freshman as evidence that he deserves a chance to earn PT. Talk about a logjam....

Nor can we forget Luke Davis, the transfer from Gardner Webb who's a soph this season. He hasn't played since before Christmas, so either he's injured, in the doghouse, not in the second-team rotation, ineligible, or has decided to transfer to UCLA. If he's still on the team and living his [perfectly understandable] dream, he's logjam-PG #3 in 2013-'14, and battling White for #4-5 in 2014-'15.