PDA

View Full Version : "Stories of Nueroscience and Memory": Live Podcast, Studio 360

greybeard
01-21-2013, 05:53 PM
You might want to check this out, aired on Friday, February 18, 2013. Compelling personal stories reveal what neuroscience can answer about memory distortion, suppression, and the forgotten. The authors are all incredibly knowledgeable, the information imparted in story telling is startling, the stories are wonderfully written, and read. The spectrum is broad. If someone can provide a link, that would be great.

rthomas
01-21-2013, 06:20 PM
A Link would be great.

You might want to check this out, aired on Friday, February 18, 2013. Compelling personal stories reveal what neuroscience can answer about memory distortion, suppression, and the forgotten. The authors are all incredibly knowledgeable, the information imparted in story telling is startling, the stories are wonderfully written, and read. The spectrum is broad. If someone can provide a link, that would be great.

Jarhead
01-21-2013, 07:27 PM
A Link would be great.

It was aired 4 days ago, but here is a link that may help (http://www.studio360.org/2013/jan/18/). There is an 81 minute video for your pleasure. It was easy to find.

greybeard
01-21-2013, 08:36 PM
It was aired 4 days ago, but here is a link that may help (http://www.studio360.org/2013/jan/18/). There is an 81 minute video for your pleasure. It was easy to find.

Thanks. I just searched for Studio 360 and progam/book title--my wife had listened and called it to my attention. Tried copying a like but somehow it didn't work.

there are two personal stories that I found particularly rich and valuable. The last by an Israeli neuroscientist, wose father was a holicost survival but never would stand each year for a national moment to stand as one and remember. I believe iot was the third story, was by a professional story teller/author who was driven to all but get an advanced degree in neuroscience that was driven by her having looked back at all kinds of notes, papers that she had saved, that made scant mention of her mother, and her mother's current and apparent short term memory issues. The author remembered having been disappointed in some of her mother's behaviors, in particular, when she began being way, way late picking her up from school. Her mother had keep her memory issues hidden, or perhaps the author just failed to see them. She talked about them openly with her grown daughter, and mentioned a minor head trauma her doctor thought nothing of but was followed sometime thereafter by short term memory issues that her mother managed to function around. What the author learned about the often unknown effects of minor head trauma, and her journey is quite a story. Actually, they all are.