PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke at Miami (Jan 23, 2013) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

JBDuke
01-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Put your pre-game and in-game thoughts here.

gep
01-20-2013, 10:41 PM
I see this game as a "must" (all lower case, not all upper case) win. And, I'm nervous, nonetheless... especially on the road. :cool:

DukieInBrasil
01-20-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm looking for Rasheed to follow up his strong 2nd half performance from the GT game and be the piece of the puzzle that Miami can't solve.
Larkin vs Cook: slight edge to Duke, they score and shoot about the same, but Quinn is a better distributor.
Scott vs Curry: edge to Curry, Seth is shooting lights out and is crafty. Scott is a better rebounder and distributor though.
McKinney-Jones vs Sulaimon: slight edge Duke. These guys are very similar, and though TMJ is a 5th year veteran, i'm hoping the freshman RS will really have a big-time game.
Kadji vs Jefferson (Hairston/Murphy): edge Miami. Kadji can be really hard to defend, but is somewhat erratic. I expect him to be fully dialed in and play well.
Gamble vs Mason: edge Duke. Mason has just played much better than Gamble so far. Still he's big and strong and it's conceivable that he could play Mason to a draw if Miami's D doubles MP II and forces him to give up the ball. Mason is a much more prolific rebounder and almost triples JG's scoring.
Duke is much deeper, so our bench production will likely be a factor in our favor.
Despite having so many individual match-ups and the bench and coaching factors in our favor, i still don't predict this to be an easy win for Duke, although Duke certainly could win by double figures if they come out of the gates playing like they did in the 2nd half vs GT. If the 1st half vs GT team comes out in the first half, this Miami team could certainly bury us.
If the teams were in fact totally equal and home-court advantage was factored in, would the motivation to play to keep the (assuming we get it) #1 ranking yield greater dividends than motivation to beat the #1 team on your home court? I think option B.

gofurman
01-20-2013, 11:10 PM
I'm looking for Rasheed to follow up his strong 2nd half performance from the GT game and be the piece of the puzzle that Miami can't solve.
Larkin vs Cook: slight edge to Duke, they score and shoot about the same, but Quinn is a better distributor.
Scott vs Curry: edge to Curry, Seth is shooting lights out and is crafty. Scott is a better rebounder and distributor though.
McKinney-Jones vs Sulaimon: slight edge Duke. These guys are very similar, and though TMJ is a 5th year veteran, i'm hoping the freshman RS will really have a big-time game.
Kadji vs Jefferson (Hairston/Murphy): edge Miami. Kadji can be really hard to defend, but is somewhat erratic. I expect him to be fully dialed in and play well.
Gamble vs Mason: edge Duke. Mason has just played much better than Gamble so far. Still he's big and strong and it's conceivable that he could play Mason to a draw if Miami's D doubles MP II and forces him to give up the ball. Mason is a much more prolific rebounder and almost triples JG's scoring.
Duke is much deeper, so our bench production will likely be a factor in our favor.
Despite having so many individual match-ups and the bench and coaching factors in our favor, i still don't predict this to be an easy win for Duke, although Duke certainly could win by double figures if they come out of the gates playing like they did in the 2nd half vs GT. If the 1st half vs GT team comes out in the first half, this Miami team could certainly bury us.
If the teams were in fact totally equal and home-court advantage was factored in, would the motivation to play to keep the (assuming we get it) #1 ranking yield greater dividends than motivation to beat the #1 team on your home court? I think option B.

I can only hope you are right. This game scares me for some reason. Miami has it going - esp considering they are without RJ. Curry may be playing lights out but Durand Scott is a nasty athlete and could give Curry fits. I could see Scott being the kind of guy that really bothers our man CUrry - Scott is a 6'5 Senior who I think can leap pretty well. Thats a tough assignment on both ends for Curry - even if it is just Curry trying to shoot over Scott thats a better defender than most teams put on Curry. And you are right with Kadji - he is the closest thing to a 'Ryan Kelly' out there. A little more athletic with a little less shot but a good mid-range shooter at 6'10 or 6'11. Dangerous for the same reasons Ryan Kelly is. Ill agree with Mason over Gamble and Cook over Larkin though Larkin is legitimate. I might give the edge to T Jones over Suliamon - Jones is a 5th year senior playing at home vs Duke. He will be amped and isnt a lightweight. Long term Suliamon is better but at this stage? Not so sure.

At miami - and you know it will be jumping - this is a very tough game. Miami is the only team to actually win at Chapel Hill and they beat Michigan State (though that was with RJ).

And, with the exception of Larkin at PG, the entire Miami starting lineup is comprised of Seniors I am pretty sure. Thats very rare these days as we know. Actually, had Ryan been playing this would have been about the most Senior-laden ACC game.

I agree on your assumption that coming in as number 1 ranked team doesnt help Duke - that just gets all the Miami crowd in the stands.

Kedsy
01-20-2013, 11:11 PM

I think these are the key matchups. Miami has a huge edge with Kadji, but we have a huge edge with Mason. If, as you suggest, Gamble plays Mason to a draw, then I think we lose unless our PFs also play Kadji to a draw. Fortunately, I don't expect Gamble to play Mason to a draw, but I suppose you never know.

Personally, I don't think the #1 ranking will come into play much, if at all, from a motivation standpoint. Playing a game with major repercussions on the ACC standings should be enough motivation. Miami, of course, will also have the usual get-up-for-Duke motivation. Most of Duke players remember Miami beating us at Duke last year, and that could motivate as well.

Kedsy
01-20-2013, 11:22 PM
This game scares me for some reason.

For some reason? Probably because Miami is a really good team playing at home with four seniors and two juniors among their top 7 minute-getters (5 seniors once Johnson comes back). They're #20 in Pomeroy, #17 in Sagarin, and #5 in the RPI. In my mind, they should be every bit as tough as NC State was (#26 Pomeroy, #22 Sagarin, #12 RPI), if not tougher, although perhaps not when they're not at full strength. Although of course we're not at full strength either. We can definitely win the game, but I'm not sure we should be a favorite.

gofurman
01-20-2013, 11:27 PM
For some reason? Probably because Miami is a really good team playing at home with four seniors and two juniors among their top 7 minute-getters (5 seniors once Johnson comes back). They're #20 in Pomeroy, #17 in Sagarin, and #5 in the RPI. In my mind, they should be every bit as tough as NC State was (#26 Pomeroy, #22 Sagarin, #12 RPI), if not tougher, although perhaps not when they're not at full strength. Although of course we're not at full strength either. We can definitely win the game, but I'm not sure we should be a favorite.

Well, the reason I put it like that is I was responding to 'DukieinBrasil' who gave just about every edge to us in his analyis. I see it more like you. I dont think either team should be favored by more than 4 or 5 points in this one...at the most. Put it this way, I would love for Duke to win this one but I was looking at the schedule and doing the math to figure we can still win the conference even if we lose (the fact that I went to do that math is telling). I think its a 50/50 game for us at best down in Miami.

ice-9
01-21-2013, 12:43 AM
As I previously wrote about in the Ryan Kelly vigil and as DukieinBrasil pointed out, Miami is a good match-up for us even without Ryan. We are better at every position and I'd still rather have Amile than Kadji on my team. We should win. That said, I'm still very nervous about this game, and here's why...

- We're still a team trying to find its identity without Ryan

- Miami has a bunch of seniors and home court. This will also only be our second true road game -- and we lost the first one

- Seth's unbelievable shooting kept us close to NC State and was the reason we eventually blew out Georgia Tech. What if he goes cold against Miami? Will Mason and Rasheed play well enough to carry the scoring load?

I think we can count on Mason, but Rasheed is a freshman who had one good game after a series of below-par ones (relatively speaking). We'll have to see, but Rasheed is going to be key. If he plays well and Mason and Seth play close to what they average, we should be OK.

mo.st.dukie
01-21-2013, 01:00 AM

Yep, just like last Saturday this is another game that Duke could easily lose even if Ryan Kelly was 100% healthy. Even if you don't factor in how good Miami actually is just the fact that it is a road conference game is something to be concerned about no matter how good or bad the opponent appears. It certainly wouldn't be the end of the world if we lost. The 2010 team lost 3 games in January, all on the road and had lost 4 out of 5 "true road games" through January which of course led everybody to claim how overrated Duke was because they couldn't win on the road. Duke will have to play very well to pull out a win.

licc85
01-21-2013, 01:08 AM
This is definitely a very losable game . . . and frankly, it would not be a huge surprise if Miami came out motivated with hot shooting and took us down. Obviously, if we play the way we did in the 2nd half against GTech, we win, but if we play that way, I'm pretty sure we win against just about anyone. I mean, jeez, Seth hit 4 threes in the half, you can't come back from that. It should be a very very close game against a team that is playing great at the moment. I wouldn't call it a "must win," though. I think we're far from the team that we will be 10 games from now, and this, in my opinion, is the toughest game we have left on our conference schedule, especially since I expect the team to be vastly improved by the next time we play against Miami on 3/2, and perhaps slightly improved with a chance of RK against NC State on 2/7. (both home games) So even if we lose, it only gets easier from here. Plus, I don't see Miami running through the ACC with only 1 or 2 losses, so we'd still be very much in the race for the conference title, although we would have much less wiggle room.

gumbomoop
01-21-2013, 02:13 AM
I have been high on Miami since preseason, thinking them the most likely to challenge for a spot in the ACC's top 4, with NCSt, Duke, and UNC. I posted a couple of times wondering why, preseason, they weren't considered clearly superior to FSU.

Seems I underrated them anyway, given how they've played thus far without Reggie in their 4 ACC games. Maybe it's fair to say they win ugly? Three out of 3 road wins, even against mostly mediocre competition, is noteworthy. If they beat Duke, they hold down #1 in conference, and play a slightly easier ACC schedule than Duke after Wed's game. Specifically, they do not during the remainder of the season visit either Md, UVa, or UNC, and play NCSt only once, in that case in Raleigh. Beat Duke, and Miami becomes co-favorite with Duke and NCSt win ACC reg season. Maybe even favorite, depending on Reggie's return.

Miami has played more games without Reggie than has Duke without Ryan, so Larranaga has had more time/games than K to recalibrate his rotation. Miami essentially plays a 6-man rotation, trying to steal a few minutes to relieve an inconsistent but improving Julian Gamble and the experienced and very dangerous Kenny Kadji. I expect Gamble to be fired up, fierce, ready to play Mason tough. Miami rotates 4 solid if inconsistent players on the perimeter. Trey McKinney Jones takes about 1/2 his shots from 3-land, hitting 41% out there, whereas Rion Brown takes nearly 60% of his shots from 3-land, while sinking but 22% of these.

For once, Duke's current 7-man rotation is actually deeper than the opponent's. Miami's really pretty limited, especially inside, so Marshall might get a few minutes against whomever Larranaga sticks in there for a minute or so to relieve Gamble or Kadji. Foul trouble for any of Mason, Gamble, Kadji would be game-altering.

Bob Green
01-21-2013, 07:22 AM
Our on ball defensive pressure against Miami's guards will be key. The 'Canes can be sloppy with the ball. In their 68-59 win over Carolina, Larkin turned the ball over four times, while McKinney-Jones turned it over five times. Beyond the raw numbers, I watched this game and Miami looked out of sync in their halfcourt offense until the last 8 minutes or so of the game when they knocked down multiple 3 PT FGs. Quinn Cook needs to turn up the heat on Shane Larkin to prevent Miami from playing comfortable. Rasheed Sulaimon's length and lateral quickness (I really enjoy typing that) is another advantage for Duke.

The major advantage Miami has over Duke is Mr. Kenny Kadji. Kadji is a talented ball player who can hurt you inside and out. Our power forward platoon of Hairston/Jefferson/Murphy must contain Kadji. A strong game from Jefferson on the offensive glass could result in some foul trouble for Kadji. Speaking of foul trouble, Mason Plumlee must avoid it. This is a game where the absence of Ryan Kelly could be our Achilles Heel.

While Mason Plumlee will have the advantage in his match-up against Julian Gamble, Gamble is going to put his body on Mason so it will be important for Mason to finish through physical contact, something he has struggled with in ACC play.

So my factors for victory are: 1) on ball pressure by Cook on Larkin; 2) contain Kenny Kadji; 3) Mason Plumlee finishing through physical contact.

CDu
01-21-2013, 10:35 AM
It'll be an interesting game, as each team is missing a key senior frontcourt player. We have more overall talent, but Miami is very experienced and well-coached. Here's how I see the matchups.

C (Mason vs Julian Gamble): Miami is replacing Reggie Johnson with Julian Gamble. Gamble is tall (6'10") and can finish an uncontested layup/dunk. But beyond that, he doesn't bring much to the table. Mason needs to win this matchup decisively. He has to be a big presence on offense, while also not allowing Gamble easy putback chances when their guards drive.

PF (Jefferson/Hairston vs Kenny Kadji): Kadji is a bit like Kelly on offense in that he likes to play outside in. He's not as good a shooter as Kelly, but he's a better post scorer. He's also a better rebounder (he's probably 15-20 pounds heavier than Kelly). This is not a good matchup for Jefferson, because Kadji is strong enough to post Jefferson up, and good enough from the perimeter to stretch Jefferson out. It'll be tough for Jefferson to guard Kadji without fouling, especially if Kadji posts up. It's actually a reasonable matchup for Hairston though. Kadji isn't quick or explosive, which means he probably won't blow Hairston away athletically. So maybe, between the two of our guys, we can do an adequate job on Kadji. The key to this matchup is simply not to lose it too badly.

Wing (Curry vs Trey McKinney-Jones): Technically, McKinney-Jones plays SF for the 'Canes, but I'd expect him to guard Curry. I don't see the 'Canes wanting to waste the energy of their better guards chasing Curry. Plus, McKinney-Jones is big and can be physical. On the other end, I think Curry is best suited to defend McKinney-Jones, because McKinney-Jones is best suited as a shooter and isn't terribly effective off the dribble. This is a matchup that we have to win decisively.

Wing (Sulaimon/Thornton vs Durand Scott): Scott is a 6'5", strong, combo guard who can create his own shot or distribute off the dribble. He's streaky as an outside shooter, and streaky overall. When he's on, he's as tough a cover as there is in the league. But he can disappear at times and decision-making can be an issue for him. This is another position where we just need to keep it close and not let Scott go off.

PG (Cook vs Shane Larkin): Larkin is a quick playmaker/shooter who can struggle against physical contact. He is good off the dribble and can set up others, and he's a terrific shooter. If Cook can stay with Larkin, he can eliminate Larkin's effectiveness (Larkin isn't a superb passer - just a capable one who excels off the dribble). This is probably the closest matchup on the floor, but it's one that we very much need to win.

Bench: Rion Brown is the only player of note off of Miami's bench. He's big and athletic, and subs in for both McKinney-Jones and Scott. Brown fancies himself a 3pt shooter, but he's pretty bad at it. Hopefully he feels the need to shoot (and miss) a bunch of 3s. Aside from Brown, the 'Canes rotate a slew of warm bodies in the post. None are of note offensively or defensively.

It'll come down to us winning the matchups that favor us and limiting the matchups that favor Miami. Very winnable game, even without Kelly.

tele
01-21-2013, 04:02 PM
I like Duke's chances in this game because of their depth.

roywhite
01-21-2013, 05:48 PM
Miami 78 -- Duke 74 from 2/5/2012 (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=20120205)

Some things have changed, but it is interesting to see the contributions of Reggie Johnson (which were huge), Kenny Kadje 4-5 from 3-pt, and Larkin playing 38 minutes.

I like the matchup of Quinn vs Larkin, and I'm encouraged about Amile's capability to defend Kadje. Amile can move well enough and is long enough to defend small forwards on the perimeter, so I think he can get out on Kadje and contest his outside game. As others have noted, he needs to do this without getting into foul trouble.

Kedsy
01-21-2013, 06:05 PM
I like the matchup of Quinn vs Larkin, and I'm encouraged about Amile's capability to defend Kadje. Amile can move well enough and is long enough to defend small forwards on the perimeter, so I think he can get out on Kadje and contest his outside game. As others have noted, he needs to do this without getting into foul trouble.

The issue is Kadji is listed at 242 lbs and Amile at only 195.

dcar1985
01-21-2013, 09:32 PM
The issue is Kadji is listed at 242 lbs and Amile at only 195.

Shouldn't matter much on the perimeter...if no one rotates on D and we let Kadje drive free to the basket then we've got bigger problems.

We'll need Amile and Josh to play smart in the post though...try to deny entry passes, play the angles.

Newton_14
01-21-2013, 09:54 PM
Kadji killed us last year, just flat out killed us, mostly from 3 land as was mentioned. We could have withstood the heroics of Reggie had we contained Kadji. He hit tough 3's too. We have to take that away this time, and Mason should be able to shut down Gamble. We need to turn Miami into a jump shooting team and shutdown their bigs. Easier said than done of course, but doable.

On offense, we need to limit turnovers, and feed the beast inside early an often. Get Mason touches from the start and force Miami to guard. I think Mason can get Gamble or Kadji in foul trouble if we get him the ball in the right spots, and Mason is aggressive and smart. With the extra rest, we should get the All-ACC version of Seth. Let those two set the tone early, and allow Rasheed and Quinn to take advantage of the openings that should create.

As I noted in the revised Phase thread posting, I am anxious to see what new looks we see from K in this game on offense. I missed the Daily DBR on the radio today, but K hinted Friday that there would be some revamping going on with the extra practices the off-weekend provided, to try to remake "the new team" sans Ryan Kelly. Not sure how he will play it, but I suspect whatever he puts in, will be geared toward Mason and Seth being the focal points of the offense. If so, it make take some pressure off of Rasheed to help him loosen up. Rasheed played really well against Tech. We need that to continue.

DukeWarhead
01-21-2013, 11:43 PM
We can definitely win the game, but I'm not sure we should be a favorite.

Were are currently the #1 team in the nation. We have no choice but to be the favorite, road game or not.

Kedsy
01-22-2013, 12:32 AM
Shouldn't matter much on the perimeter...if no one rotates on D and we let Kadje drive free to the basket then we've got bigger problems.

Obviously we'll see how things go, but if I were Kadji (or Kadji's coach), he's not going to be floating out there on the perimeter. He's got Miami's biggest matchup advantage and a lot of that advantage is using his superior size.

Were are currently the #1 team in the nation. We have no choice but to be the favorite, road game or not.

Well, perhaps that's true if all we care about are the poll voters' opinions. If we're actually using the term "favorite" to signify who has the better chance to win the game, I'm not sure you're right. I don't know what the Las Vegas odds are, but my guess is they won't be more than 2 or 3 points, and even that is probably just because the betting public is moderately clueless. In my opinion they should be pretty close to pick 'em, or possibly Miami should be a slight favorite.

Wander
01-22-2013, 01:23 AM
I don't think there's any way Miami should be a favorite, although I agree the line should be pretty close (2-3 points sounds good to me) and a loss wouldn't be a huge deal. For comparison's sake, Kansas is about a 3 point favorite at Kansas State tomorrow, and those two teams are reasonably close to the level of Duke and Miami respectively.

CDu
01-22-2013, 08:40 AM
Obviously we'll see how things go, but if I were Kadji (or Kadji's coach), he's not going to be floating out there on the perimeter. He's got Miami's biggest matchup advantage and a lot of that advantage is using his superior size.

Kadji has attempted at least 3 three-point shots in all but 3 games this year. In ACC play, he hasn't shot less than 4 of them in a game. He's averaging more 3pt attempts than FT attempts for the season and in ACC play. So I'll be pretty surprised if he doesn't spend a lot of time floating around the perimeter.

Further, I'm not sure if I agree that it's in Miami's best interest to post Kadji up. We talk a lot about how Kelly's presence is beneficial in terms of floor spacing. Well, the same applies to Kadji. By spending more time on the perimeter, he either draws a defender away from the basket (allowing room for drives by Scott and Larkin) or he finds himself wide open for 3 pointers. It also allows him to attack off the dribble, something he's pretty good at doing. And while he has a huge size advantage, the post game is definitely the weaker part of his skill set.

Saratoga2
01-22-2013, 09:05 AM
Kadji has attempted at least 3 three-point shots in all but 3 games this year. In ACC play, he hasn't shot less than 4 of them in a game. He's averaging more 3pt attempts than FT attempts for the season and in ACC play. So I'll be pretty surprised if he doesn't spend a lot of time floating around the perimeter.

Further, I'm not sure if I agree that it's in Miami's best interest to post Kadji up. We talk a lot about how Kelly's presence is beneficial in terms of floor spacing. Well, the same applies to Kadji. By spending more time on the perimeter, he either draws a defender away from the basket (allowing room for drives by Scott and Larkin) or he finds himself wide open for 3 pointers. It also allows him to attack off the dribble, something he's pretty good at doing. And while he has a huge size advantage, the post game is definitely the weaker part of his skill set.

It is a tough assignment, but I think Amile is best equipped to guard Kadji. Amile's length and quickness give him the best chance, however, he must not go for pump fakes and leave his feet or he will foul.

subzero02
01-22-2013, 10:41 PM
It's just wrong for a pre-game/in game thread to slip to page 2 before the game has been played... BTT.
PS. I will be playing close attention to the defense played by our perimeter players... This game will be won by our defense

Newton_14
01-22-2013, 10:50 PM
It's just wrong for a pre-game/in game thread to slip to page 2 before the game has been played... BTT.
PS. I will be playing close attention to the defense played by our perimeter players... This game will be won by our defense

Agree on both points. Keep it on Page 1 people!!

Perimeter defense will be key in this game as well. I know we have focused on offense a lot in our discussions since losing Ryan, but defense is still the Duke staple, and I imagine K has been working just as hard on tweaking the defense sans Ryan as the offense.

FWIW, on the daily DBR today, K stated that with the extra practices over the last week with the gap in the schedule, the "new team" is much better prepared than it was for NC State and Tech. Said we are obviously still not as good as with Ryan, but he expects the team to play better than in the last two games.

He also mentioned that Ryan is progressing, they are still unsure on the timing of his return, but that they expect he does return before the end of the regular season, which was great news.

roywhite
01-23-2013, 07:19 AM
Surprising at this point in the season, but Duke and Miami are the only ACC teams with fewer than 2 losses. This is an important game in the standings.

DukieInBrasil
01-23-2013, 07:59 AM
Surprising at this point in the season, but Duke and Miami are the only ACC teams with fewer than 2 losses. This is an important game in the standings.

let's hope it stays that way after this game!

billy
01-23-2013, 09:35 AM
At miami - and you know it will be jumping -

This is truly not meant to be snarky - I've never thought of Coral Gables as a particularly difficult place to play, having many empty seats (at least in my weak recollection of the past). Is it significantly vamped up or am I just misremembering?

tbyers11
01-23-2013, 09:55 AM
This is truly not meant to be snarky - I've never thought of Coral Gables as a particularly difficult place to play, having many empty seats (at least in my weak recollection of the past). Is it significantly vamped up or am I just misremembering?

You are generally correct. However, the place tends to get amped up for Duke and UNC games and all indications are that it will be rocking tonight.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-23-2013, 12:06 PM
You are generally correct. However, the place tends to get amped up for Duke and UNC games and all indications are that it will be rocking tonight.

It will be jumping tonight, its a sellout and there is a lot of hype for the game down here in South Florida. The general feeling is that Miami wont be able to compete with the high revenue public schools in Football a lot of fans are hoping to become a hoops power. Beating Duke and rising in the rankings will be a good jumping off point. Dont worry though I will be there in section 103 in my Duke Blue, trying to drown out the capacity crowd.

jipops
01-23-2013, 12:12 PM
I don't expect us to see us getting much offense going in this one. I think it's going to be an ugly slug-fest and if it isn't that may be because Miami is blowing us out. The Canes are the toughest defensive opponent we will see for the rest of the regular season. Getting a win here would be huge not just for standings but for confidence level of the team while Ryan is out. I think this game is a very big deal.

It should be interesting to see if the time off has benefited our guys us in any way. Will we come out flat or fresh - on defense? I do like the fact that K and the team have had a lot of time to prepare.

CDu
01-23-2013, 01:14 PM
I don't expect us to see us getting much offense going in this one. I think it's going to be an ugly slug-fest and if it isn't that may be because Miami is blowing us out. The Canes are the toughest defensive opponent we will see for the rest of the regular season. Getting a win here would be huge not just for standings but for confidence level of the team while Ryan is out. I think this game is a very big deal.

It should be interesting to see if the time off has benefited our guys us in any way. Will we come out flat or fresh - on defense? I do like the fact that K and the team have had a lot of time to prepare.

Ga Tech has a similar defensive strength (Miami has a defensive efficiency of 86.3; Ga Tech's is close at 86.9). While we struggled in the first half, we blew the doors off them in the second half. So while I agree that we could struggle offensively, we've also shown (in the second half of that Ga Tech game) that we can score against a very tough defense as well.

I totally agree that the game is a big big deal. For one thing, a win would put us back in 1st in the ACC and would give us separation from NC State and the rest of the conference. For another, this is our last really tough road opponent of the season. So winning this one, without Kelly, would be great.

Bob Green
01-23-2013, 05:00 PM
Vegas is looking for a game in the 60s as the over/under is currently sitting at 131 with Duke a three point favorite, which equates to a 67-64 final score. Miami likes to play slow paced but I'm feeling the over tonight. I believe Duke will look to speed up the pace to prevent Miami from playing in their comfort zone.

Quoting oneself is poor form, but I'll sacrifice form to reiterate my three keys to tonight's game:

So my factors for victory are: 1) on ball pressure by Cook on Larkin; 2) contain Kenny Kadji; 3) Mason Plumlee finishing through physical contact.

This is a very important conference game so the guys need to come out focused on the task at hand and take it to the 'Canes.

subzero02
01-23-2013, 06:21 PM
Hopefully Amile and Rasheed handle the road pressure well this time... All eyes on Rasheed's perimeter defense and decision making on offense. ( Don't avoid contact when driving... Make the defense foul you)

mkline09
01-23-2013, 06:40 PM
According to reports Reggie Johnson is playing.

riverside6
01-23-2013, 06:43 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Miami here, starters posted.

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=14573

Jefferson and Sulaimon starting tonight for Duke.

subzero02
01-23-2013, 06:50 PM
According to reports Reggie Johnson is playing.

Where did you hear this?

Bob Green
01-23-2013, 06:53 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Miami here, starters posted.

It is good to see Amile Jefferson in the starting line-up. We need his activity on the offensive glass.

DBFAN
01-23-2013, 06:56 PM
Johnson is def playing, prob not starting but he is playing, even though he was supposedly weeks away from being game ready.

duke4ever19
01-23-2013, 07:05 PM
Johnson is def playing, prob not starting but he is playing, even though he was supposedly weeks away from being game ready.

Why does this not surprise me? :rolleyes:

sporthenry
01-23-2013, 07:06 PM
Wow, Reggie back now and we don't even have a time table on Kelly. Could be an emotional bump but don't see him having a big game.

CDu
01-23-2013, 07:12 PM
Wow, Reggie back now and we don't even have a time table on Kelly. Could be an emotional bump but don't see him having a big game.

He didn't start. I can't imagine he's in great condition right now and will surely be rusty. But if he can even give them a productive 10-12 minutes backing up Kadji and Gamble, that's a huge lift.

BlueDevilBrowns
01-23-2013, 07:13 PM

Yeah, it seems from the outside anyways, that Miami is rushing things a bit bringing him back in tonight. Miami probably realizes if they have any shot at winning the regular season, they need this win tonight.

sporthenry
01-23-2013, 07:16 PM
Terrible call against Curry. Flop and they missed the block right before it.

ChillinDuke
01-23-2013, 07:16 PM
Reggie?

What a slow roll...

- Chillin

CDu
01-23-2013, 07:20 PM
Yeah, it seems from the outside anyways, that Miami is rushing things a bit bringing him back in tonight. Miami probably realizes if they have any shot at winning the regular season, they need this win tonight.

I don't know that I'd say this is a must-win for Miami. I mean, even if they lose, they still control their own destiny for the regular season title. If they win, they'd be in commanding position.

sporthenry
01-23-2013, 07:24 PM
This game hasn't started out well. Duke is going to have to figure out how to score. Miami's offense will figure itself out, going to need Mason to have a very good game which isn't happening too much so far.

sporthenry
01-23-2013, 07:27 PM
Duke on pace for 30 3 point attempts. Offense looking more like the ones of yesteryear.

slower
01-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Honestly, at what point does this just become embarrassing?

cptnflash
01-23-2013, 07:30 PM
I haven't seen shooting this bad since the last time I watched the Tar Heels. So, since Saturday, I guess.

BlueDevilBrowns
4 points wasted by Hairston and Jefferson simply not being strong with the basketball. I like the effort Defensively but the offense is tentative right now.

CDu
Duke on pace for 30 3 point attempts. Offense looking more like the ones of yesteryear.

That is because Miami is REALLY clogging the lane. The 3s are what is open.

grossbus
Make some shots!!!

BlueDevilBrowns
01-23-2013, 07:31 PM

Agreed. Cook, Kelly, and Sulaimon are going to have to attack the basket instead of passing around the 3 point line. Get the Miami bigs in foul trouble and run out on the fast break whenever possible for transition 3's.

Les Grossman
01-23-2013, 07:32 PM
26%%

sporthenry
01-23-2013, 07:32 PM
That is because Miami is REALLY clogging the lane. The 3s are what is open.

That shouldn't matter with a great player on a great team. Mason should be able to score regardless and teams have to be able to score in different ways.

CDu
01-23-2013, 07:36 PM
That shouldn't matter with a great player on a great team. Mason should be able to score regardless and teams have to be able to score in different ways.

First, that's not true. Even a great low-post scorer will struggle against a strong double/triple team and collapsing defense. Second, Mason isn't really a great scorer.

subzero02
Our perimeter defense is pathetic and miami shooting lights out... We have to do more to fight through screens at the top of the key... Looking at you Rasheed...

BlueDevilBrowns
This is starting to remind me of Clemson at Littlejohn 2008 season(I think). NOT GOOD.:(

sporthenry
I can't remember the last time Duke played like this. This game might already be over. Can't remember the last time they were blown out this quickly.

And how many times does Mason give up an uncontested layup from the weak side. He could be a defensive force but half the time, he never leaves his feet.

subzero02
01-23-2013, 07:37 PM
We have to start making our open 3's... They are giving them to us... Kelly where are you?

Les Grossman
01-23-2013, 07:37 PM
Guys all looking tired

CDu
01-23-2013, 07:38 PM
I can't remember the last time Duke played like this. This game might already be over. Can't remember the last time they were blown out this quickly.

And how many times does Mason give up an uncontested layup from the weak side. He could be a defensive force but half the time, he never leaves his feet.

Happened last year against OSU.

Furniture
01-23-2013, 07:38 PM
I can't watch this anymore

Somebody wake me up when it's over.....

slower
01-23-2013, 07:39 PM
Mods are gonna be VERY busy tonight. Watch it, Negative Nellies.

Lulu
01-23-2013, 07:39 PM
This game is OVER. I haven't seen us look this bad in years. Our shots are so bad you'd think the game was fixed. When the game started I was abit irked at the non-calls going on outside, but that's no excuse for how we're playing now. Really mad at this team that they can get this frustrated and not even begin to recover.

I can already see tonights Sportscenter segment where they roll miss-after-miss-after-miss of Duke's shots. Geesh.

Channing
01-23-2013, 07:40 PM
Uggg... What happened to our offense. No fluidity. LOts of bricks. Not a good recipe.

cptnflash
For the first 10 minutes, we were playing well but shooting poorly. Now we're playing poorly too. We've let some unfortunate shooting affect our intensity, and now find ourselves in a hole that will be very hard to climb out of, even if our shooting improves (it almost has to).

IBleedBlue
It's that kind of a night. Miami is putting the hammer down right now. Looks like Miami wants this to be over in the first half itself.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Mercy

arnie
Honestly, at what point does this just become embarrassing?

Growing tired of the Kelly excuse. As bad a performance (so far) in a long time. Not ready to play

BlueandWhite
This game hasn't started out well. Duke is going to have to figure out how to score. Miami's offense will figure itself out, going to need Mason to have a very good game which isn't happening too much so far.

Bottom line is, this team REALLY misses Ryan Kelly. It's been great to see Amile's contributions but we are essentially a one-man front court without Ryan, plus we lose a great outside shooter. With Curry already having an off night, and little inside presence, of course we are losing by 17.

Let's just ignore this game, we are cooked.

ChrisP
And...ANOTHER slow start by the Blue Devils. We are really out of it tonight. Best thing about this game - it's still the first half.

BlueDevilBrowns
The sad thing is that while Miami is playing well, they're not playing "Arizona 2011" good. Duke just looks that bad currently.

Miami's just doin' they're thing, dictating tempo, and playing simply like the best team in the conference right now.

jipops
Unfortunately the time off seems to have hurt us. I was hoping this would be the reverse effect. And our defense is just awful... worse than awful.

sporthenry
01-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Happened last year against OSU.

That game wasn't this bad. That was more OSU playing amazing and shooting 60% from the floor and 3. Duke shot 47% from the floor against tOSU and 20% from 3. Tonight is 20% from floor and 18% from 3.

Luther
01-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Wow, this is the kind of loss that I didn't think would happen this year.

jwillfan
01-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Figures today would be the day I get a happy birthday email from dbr. Ugh.

supbros
Growing tired of the Kelly excuse. As bad a performance (so far) in a long time. Not ready to play

Um it's not an excuse, the guy is hugely important to his team and we're significantly worse without him. Things have gone as badly as they could have in the first half but we just gotta shrug and move on, this is a really tough road game.

burns15
Wow, we might lose by 40

BlueDevilBrowns
01-23-2013, 07:44 PM

Kelly or no Kelly, this performance is unacceptable:mad:

Mabdul Doobakus
01-23-2013, 07:45 PM
It's a good thing I grew up a Miami fan. Otherwise, this would be unwatchable.

Les Grossman
Figures today would be the day I get a happy birthday email from dbr. Ugh. You jinxed us!!

burns15
Even with Kelly, we still would be losing. The way we are playing now, we wouldn't beat anyone. I mean we just scored for the first time in more than 8 minutes

OZ
Geez, I thought I had fallen asleep and it was still the second half of Monday's women's game.

Gthoma2a
The good news that it can't get much worse than this kind of run going against us. This is definitely a rarity.

77devil
01-23-2013, 07:46 PM
No one for Duke has shown the ability to step up their game in Kelly's absence to help fill the void. It's really that simple. Couple that with Seth's nagging injury and it's obvious how vulnerable we are. Ryan come back soon.

cptnflash
01-23-2013, 07:46 PM
We criticize Roy for this all the time, so I'm going to ask... how do we let the opposing team go on a 25-1 run without calling a timeout? The team definitely lacks intensity today, but honestly I have to say it appears Coach K does too.

Philsfan
01-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Now All I can say productive about basketball tonight is "Let's go, Georgia Tech."

Sheesh.

Lulu
01-23-2013, 07:49 PM
I have never wanted to be in the locker room at halftime like I do right now. I suspect half our guys are going to try to sneak back on the bus...

jipops
01-23-2013, 07:49 PM

Well, looks like the latter. And the time off has not been of any benefit. Doesn't look like we came in prepared at all.

arnie
01-23-2013, 07:50 PM
Um it's not an excuse, the guy is hugely important to his team and we're significantly worse without him. Things have gone as badly as they could have in the first half but we just gotta shrug and move on, this is a really tough road game.

Yea, Kelly is the greatest player in the history of the game. Given that apparent fact would think a team could compete 4 on 5 better than this.

sporthenry
We criticize Roy for this all the time, so I'm going to ask... how do we let the opposing team go on a 25-1 run without calling a timeout? The team definitely lacks intensity today, but honestly I have to say it appears Coach K does too.

K did use a time out. There was an official TV timeout at 19-14, K called one at 29-15. Another TV timeout at 32-15. Miami used one at 38-17. So I think K had enough time outs to do whatever.

Les Grossman
what else to say?
Tough night for Jay Wil to do half time commentary
"Its a game of mismatches" etc

slower
On a positive note, our big men are not in foul trouble.

bbosbbos
01-23-2013, 07:51 PM
Very ugly.

And I will not talk about MP2 NPOY any more.

dahntaysdawg
I think that is the major surprise here, with 1 game in 10 days and we weren't able to make any kind of adjustments to the offense? It's kind of sad that one player is the difference between being number 1 and looking like we don't belong in the top 25. No way in duke blue hell we win this game, and I'll call it now, no way we beat Maryland.

dukelifer
Lots to work on. This is mostly mental. Lets see how they respond to this going forward.

loran16
01-23-2013, 07:53 PM
This is a lot of bad luck. Miami is out playing us, but we've missed nearly every open shot, which isn't a testament to Miami, but just a bad cold streak.

At the same time, Miami is getting incredibly lucky. Kadji and Scott are 4-6 from 3...both are 30% shooters. They've hit a lot of contested shots where we've played good D, etc.

This is the confluence of not only Miami barely out playing us, but us getting extremely unlucky (being cold) and them being extremely lucky (them being hot) at hte same time. It sucks, and it's probably insurmountable, but it's not as bad as it looks.

MartyClark
01-23-2013, 07:53 PM
Pretty discouraging. The 2nd half will be a real gut check. I don't think we can win this game but we can certainly end it on a better note.

Has Duke, in recent times, had a bigger half time deficit?

grossbus
01-23-2013, 07:54 PM
" I suspect half our guys are going to try to sneak back on the bus..."

I suspect at least that many never got off the bus in the first place.

CDu
01-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Well, I said going in that we needed to convincingly win the PG, Curry/McKinney-Jones, and C matchups, while not losing the Kadji and Scott matchups too badly.

Here's the breakdown so far:
C: Mason (6 pts, 5 reb, 3-9 FG) vs Gamble (4 pts, 7 reb, 3 blk, 2-3 FG)
Curry: 0-7, 0 pts; McKinney-Jones: 3 pts, 3 reb
PG: Larkin (9 pts, 5 reb, 1 ast, 4-8 FG) vs Cook (3 points, 2 ast, 5 reb, 1-8 FG)

Kadji and Scot: 12-14 FG (4-6 3pt), 26 points.

Basically, for everything that we needed to have happen, the opposite has happened so far.

A good portion of it is bad luck for us (missing tons of open looks) and good luck for them (hitting several tough shots). But Miami is outplaying us too. And we're nearing the point where a reversal of luck won't be enough to make the comeback.

Lulu
This is when I start hearing from "friends" I haven't heard from or barely spoken to in years... 98% of this country is just giddy right now. Well, suppose they should be. I'd be laughing my head off if this were the holes I guess.

IBleedBlue
Road game blues...
If we lose, there will be court storming and if we win, everyone will say refs bailed us out... typical road games these days...

Chris Randolph
01-23-2013, 07:56 PM
Truth, not an excuse: not having Ryan Kelly is the one of if not the biggest injury to a Duke team in a long long time, maybe in Coach K's career.

If I'm Coach K, I walk in the locker room and simply tell them that Ryan ain't walking out on that court anytime soon so they better figure it out.

The absence of Ryan Kelly is not an excuse for a lack of fight. And I wish those other 2 seniors would step up and show more emotion and lead!

chaosmage
01-23-2013, 07:57 PM
I have homework for some adv. cert. courses for teaching; I am hoping that I can concentrate enough to do this, because right now it feels like I'm watching some other team.

We're not defending, we're not rotating well, we're moving through molasses on defense, and there are several no-calls that should/shouldn't have been called. But I can't remember a game like this since I started watching Duke (late 80s). The closest I can remember is the Maryland game in the NCAA, and Jay and the boys led a comeback for the ages.

That being said. If Miami keeps hitting these off-the-wall shots, there is no comeback. They hit shots that no one thought would go in, and we can't buy a bucket from Craigslist. If we tighten down the screws, hit our threes, and play with some fire, we can make it respectable and possibly win.

I hope so. My wife is making me watch the game, says I'll turn it back anyway.

I hate it when she's right. :-P

DukeWarhead
01-23-2013, 07:57 PM
Jeez Louise.

Stunned silence.

Les Grossman
01-23-2013, 07:58 PM
is not at the 4 position. Its at the 1.

BlueDevilBrowns
01-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Very ugly.

And I will not talk about MP2 NPOY any more.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems Duke's been sleepwalking through the season since the OSU game. They just don't seem to be playing with intensity for 40 minutes. It's a 15 minute spurt here and there to win games against the GT's and Davidson's of the world but now with Kelly out and conference season started, we're struggling.

Something is "off" with the team right now, IMO, and I don't think it's all about Ryan.

Philadukie
01-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Well, I think we can all agree that was arguably the worst half of basketball in the modern Duke era (I know, some Duke statistics nut will find an example of a worst half somewhere, but whatever).

Here's a question for the sports stats folks. Has another number 1 team in the modern era (let's call it during the 64-team era) scored only 19 points in a half? I can't imagine that's happened. We may have broken a record.

In any case, short of a miracle (and yes, they happen), this game is pretty much over. Next half is about fight and pride. Do we let this continue or do we at least put up a respectable fight?

This clearly isn't the number 1 team (not that any insiders really thought we were without Kelly), but we don't even look like a top-25 team right now. Where do we go from here?

#1Duke
No one for Duke has shown the ability to step up their game in Kelly's absence to help fill the void. It's really that simple. Couple that with Seth's nagging injury and it's obvious how vulnerable we are. Ryan come back soon.

I like Kelly very much. In fact, he has been my favorite player for some years because he brings so much to the game.
BUT, I am tired of hearing about his absence especially on a team that is comprised of players that have been MUCH heralded.
Can't watch a college BB game without the mention of Plumlee and how good he is..... potential player of the year has been said many times. I haven't been overly impressed with his performance in the last 6 games or so... on average.
We have experience and we are rated number one.

One of the marks of a great team is when someone goes out, others pick up the slack.
I can't believe this first half performance.
What's going on??

rsvman
The saddest thing to me is that it seems like they gave up about halfway through the big Miami run.

Looks a lot like the game against Clemson a few years ago.

fisheyes
01-23-2013, 08:00 PM
OK Duke fans:

Which one of you is sitting in the wrong seat, not wearing the right shirt, or have the remote control pointed in the wrong direction?

Come on now!!!

Get with it!!!

CDu
01-23-2013, 08:00 PM
is not at the 4 position. Its at the 1.

That is a big part of it. Cook is getting outplayed badly tonight.

I'd also say that another big difference is at the 5. Teams have adjusted to prevent easy opportunities for Mason inside. He isn't good enough offensively to overcome that. And we haven't figured out how to score without it (unless Curry is raining 3s).

CDu
01-23-2013, 08:01 PM
The saddest thing to me is that it seems like they gave up about halfway through the big Miami run.

I disagree with this. We're still competing. Miami has hit several tough shots in the latter part of that run. It's not a matter of a lack of effort or giving up. Miami is a pretty good team (they beat Michigan St) and they're playing at their ceiling right now, while we're playing at our floor offensively.

loran16
01-23-2013, 08:02 PM
Truth, not an excuse: not having Ryan Kelly is the one of if not the biggest injury to a Duke team in a long long time, maybe in Coach K's career.

If I'm Coach K, I walk in the locker room and simply tell them that Ryan ain't walking out on that court anytime soon so they better figure it out.

The absence of Ryan Kelly is not an excuse for a lack of fight. And I wish those other 2 seniors would step up and show more emotion and lead!

You know, this is nothing to do with "lack of fight". The difference between shots falling and not falling sometimes is not that one day the player has "fight" and another day they "don't." Duke is quite fine in attitude. Sometimes this happens.

You guys need to stop insulting this team and K by implying losing is because of lack of emotion - they're trying! Sometimes this happens.

heyman25
01-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Playing worse than the Duke women in the 2nd half against UCONN. Scream some sense into them Coach K.

BlueDevilBrowns
01-23-2013, 08:04 PM

Looks a lot like the game against Clemson a few years ago.

That's what I said earlier. Very reminiscent of 08 Clemson.

Les Grossman
01-23-2013, 08:04 PM
That is a big part of it. Cook is getting outplayed badly tonight.

I'd also say that another big difference is at the 5. Teams have adjusted to prevent easy opportunities for Mason inside. He isn't good enough offensively to overcome that. And we haven't figured out how to score without it (unless Curry is raining 3s).
When the team is running off TOs and missed shots, and the pg is finding him for the easy dunk and slam. He had that at the beginning of the year.

mapei
01-23-2013, 08:06 PM
You guys need to stop insulting this team and K by implying losing is because of lack of emotion - they're trying! Sometimes this happens.

I actually think sports fans resort to the not-enough-fight-emotion-pride-whatever argument because they find the alternative - that their team just isn't as good as they thought/hoped - is more than they can bear.

slower
I'm afraid this game may leave lasting mental scars (certainly on the fans, but possibly on the players, as well). I hope not, but once your confidence is shot, it can be hard to get back. Honestly, we've been building to something like this for a while (in my mind, at least). Hope the team gets it straightened out soon.

Luther

No one on this thread wants to believe it and it just doesn't even make sense that one player makes this big of an impact but Kelly does. Man I didn't see this coming.....

wavedukefan70s
Reminds me of the Clemson game a while back.

ncexnyc
01-23-2013, 08:07 PM
And I was worried about whether I'd have to decide between a hour or two of the game or a hour or two of Demon's Souls after work tonight. If the second half performance doesn't drastically improve the choice will be a no brainer.

And honestly I'll even watch a loss if the kids can make a game of it in the second half.

CLW
01-23-2013, 08:07 PM
Nightmare for a 1st half. Only prayer is for Miami to be as ICE cold as we were in the 1st half and for Curry to just go OFF.

BlueDevilBrowns
01-23-2013, 08:08 PM
You know, this is nothing to do with "lack of fight". The difference between shots falling and not falling sometimes is not that one day the player has "fight" and another day they "don't." Duke is quite fine in attitude. Sometimes this happens.

I'm not trying to insult the team or Coach K by saying they're sleepwalking and not playing with intensity for a full game. It's just my opinion from watching 25 years of Duke Basketball. I hope I'm wrong because you can fix x's and o's, but you can't fix drive, want-to, heart, and feeling.

dukelifer
01-23-2013, 08:08 PM
Well, I think we can all agree that was arguably the worst half of basketball in the modern Duke era (I know, some Duke statistics nut will find an example of a worst half somewhere, but whatever).

Here's a question for the sports stats folks. Has another number 1 team in the modern era (let's call it during the 64-team era) scored only 19 points in a half? I can't imagine that's happened. We may have broken a record.

In any case, short of a miracle (and yes, they happen), this game is pretty much over. Next half is about fight and pride. Do we let this continue or do we at least put up a respectable fight?

This clearly isn't the number 1 team (not that any insiders really thought we were without Kelly), but we don't even look like a top-25 team right now. Where do we go from here?

Where do we go? To the next game- every game is different- every opponent is different. This performance is mental. Duke got cold- and got tight. Miami got hot and got loose. Duke has to start playing games like they are the underdog- which on the road they will be. They overthink and they start missing. Lots of time to right the ship but where the ship ends up come tourney time is anyone's guess.

Lulu
01-23-2013, 08:09 PM
wow, even less intensity this half. didn't see that coming.

first player who cracks a smile after this should have his scholarship revoked.

moonpie23
2nd half may be worse....

CLW
Holy come out with ZERO emotion/heart Batman!

Les Grossman
the guys on nat'l TV are roasting us. Even Dukie V

sporthenry
I actually think sports fans resort to the not-enough-fight-emotion-pride-whatever argument because they find the alternative - that their team just isn't as good as they thought/hoped - is more than they can bear.

So #1 team in the country that has already beaten UK, Louisville, Minnesota, VCU, and Temple isn't good. Good to know.

rsvman
01-23-2013, 08:10 PM
Sorry, CDu, but I think I was right. And Chris Collins agrees with me.

MartyClark

I don't want to insult this team. I root for them and derive a lot of pleasure, although not tonight, in watching them play. It's not just a matter of shots falling tonight. This just doesn't seem to be a good effort.

sporthenry
Not sure how he didn't take Mason out there either. Mason probably fell hard in the NPOY tonight.

slower
01-23-2013, 08:11 PM
So #1 team in the country that has already beaten UK, Louisville, Minnesota, VCU, and Temple aren't good. Good to know.

As they say, ball don't lie (although I realize that's slightly out of context).

BlueandWhite
01-23-2013, 08:12 PM
When the team is running off TOs and missed shots, and the pg is finding him for the easy dunk and slam. He had that at the beginning of the year.

Play hard, play with pride!! They can still make this close, this game is NOT over yet.

bbosbbos
01-23-2013, 08:13 PM
Go Duke. Play like a Duke team.

Les Grossman
01-23-2013, 08:15 PM
like Murphy

sporthenry
01-23-2013, 08:15 PM
Alex Murphy decided to show up. Hopefully this will be a positive going forward.

Les Grossman
01-23-2013, 08:16 PM
guess that says theres not a lot of driving to the bucket, so far

Gthoma2a
01-23-2013, 08:16 PM
Alex wakes up ready to play and everyone else seems like they have gone to sleep.

BlueDevilBrowns
01-23-2013, 08:17 PM
So I guess by the "lucky vs. unlucky" theory proposed by some, Murphy isn't playing well, he's just "lucky" tonight while everyone else is "unlucky". Is that correct?

moonpie23
01-23-2013, 08:18 PM
this is just hard to fathom......this is like georgetown or the clemson game... ugh....I'm glad i can't see it.....
(uverse out)

CLW
01-23-2013, 08:19 PM
Larkin is just blowing by Cook/Thornton at will. Not really sure he even needs the ball screens that they have been using.

Les Grossman
01-23-2013, 08:21 PM
this is just hard to fathom......this is like georgetown or the clemson game... ugh....I'm glad i can't see it.....
(uverse out)
Reading this thread has to be torture. I'm guessing the mods toss it in the virtual incinerator.

arnie
01-23-2013, 08:21 PM
No one on this thread wants to believe it and it just doesn't even make sense that one player makes this big of an impact but Kelly does. Man I didn't see this coming.....

And I was looking forward to next year. But without Kelly I guess there is no hope!

chaosmage
01-23-2013, 08:25 PM
Sorry. I have homework, and the beauty of living in SoCal where I work is that no one will really notice/care. I turned it off, keeping an eye on the score through ESPN. Family Guy/Big Bang Theory is more fun right now.

From what I've seen, we're keeping even with them via the score. Maybe it'll get closer and be respectable. But, I understand K's feelings. I teach band, and you can only do so much as a coach/teacher. They have to go out and play, and for whatever reason, they aren't. Couldn't tell you what it is.

Furniture
01-23-2013, 08:25 PM
Why are Miami not lining up at free throws?
Disrespect?

DukieInBrasil
01-23-2013, 08:28 PM
Let no one doubt the importance of Ryan Kelly to this team.
They are completely clueless on offense. They can't hit a shot and can't stop Miami from scoring.
Tough road game. Next.

Les Grossman
01-23-2013, 08:29 PM
and they av. 67

UrinalCake
01-23-2013, 08:29 PM
I can't watch the game but with Curry in foul trouble and no Ryan that really doesn't leave us with much offense. Or experience for that matter.

noworries
01-23-2013, 08:31 PM
Sorry. I have homework, and the beauty of living in SoCal where I work is that no one will really notice/care. I turned it off, keeping an eye on the score through ESPN. Family Guy/Big Bang Theory is more fun right now.

From what I've seen, we're keeping even with them via the score. Maybe it'll get closer and be respectable. But, I understand K's feelings. I teach band, and you can only do so much as a coach/teacher. They have to go out and play, and for whatever reason, they aren't. Couldn't tell you what it is.

Same, got homework to do and ain't nobody got time for this crap....at least they were kind enough to leave the one blowout game per year for a night when I got stuff to do...just once every year(unc 2012, st johns 2011, gtown 2010, clemson 2009, etc.)

Furniture
01-23-2013, 08:32 PM
Let's remember that they are only kids. They have have let it get into their heads and can't pull themselves out...

CLW
01-23-2013, 08:33 PM
Murphy playing hard/well. As others have mentioned just Georgetown/Clemson all over again.

CDu
01-23-2013, 08:33 PM
So I guess by the "lucky vs. unlucky" theory proposed by some, Murphy isn't playing well, he's just "lucky" tonight while everyone else is "unlucky". Is that correct?

Nope. Only one of his buckets was lucky. Most of his have been open layups.

striker219
01-23-2013, 08:34 PM
I'm sure some of this is sour grapes, and it certainly wouldn't change anything in the grand scheme of the game, but am I crazy for seeing a reggie johnson foul on both sides of the court on almost every play? Is it just that he's so big that it looks like a foul when there's any kind of contact? Am I hallucinating? It would be fantastic if I were hallucinating.

Feel free to be brutally honest and call me crazy if you need to, I'm dead inside right now so you won't hurt my feelings.

dairedevil
Only Alex and Amile have scored baskets in the 2nd half...

Les Grossman
I could hear the skin slap here in Philly

moonpie23
01-23-2013, 08:36 PM
it's just one of those games folks.....bad start to both halves......effort low and other team hot.....

it's gotta be tough to be down there for the team....

77devil
01-23-2013, 08:37 PM

Exactly right. The lack of effort is appalling.

CDu
01-23-2013, 08:37 PM
I'm sure some of this is sour grapes, and it certainly wouldn't change anything in the grand scheme of the game, but am I crazy for seeing a reggie johnson foul on both sides of the court on almost every play? Is it just that he's so big that it looks like a foul when there's any kind of contact? Am I hallucinating? It would be fantastic if I were hallucinating.

Feel free to be brutally honest and call me crazy if you need to, I'm dead inside right now so you won't hurt my feelings.

Johnson is a bit like Shaq in that there's a foul nearly every time he's involved, but many aren't called. Mason got away with a clear foul on Reggie's first touch, but Reggie is so big that he played through it. Conversely, I thought Mason's last foul could have just as easily been offensive.

gus
01-23-2013, 08:40 PM
Duke's not even getting back on defense.

Practice tomorrow should be fun.

Furniture
01-23-2013, 08:41 PM
Has Curry scored?

CDu
01-23-2013, 08:42 PM
Has Curry scored?

Nope. 0-10.

Channing
I don't know the last time I saw such a selfish game played by Duke. Lots of one or no passes and some contested shot or twisting layup. It's hard to watch...

moonpie23
curry on the milk carton tonight......

FerryFor50
This game... Yeesh.

Figures they'd get Reggie Johnson back for this game. I'm sure that amped up Miami a bit, not to mention the big red target on Duke's back, including the shiny #1 ranking.

Mix in an offense that hasn't really been in sync since Kelly went down and a dash of a regressing Quinn Cook, and you have tonight's travesty.

Nothing to get angry about, really. Just learn and move on, and stay/get healthy!

CLW
01-23-2013, 08:43 PM
Has Curry scored?

Nope. 0/10 I believe. The team has given up and K does NOT look pleased. The next practice is going to be BRUTAL. IF I were a betting man I'd put some $ on the Noles against Miami coming off their high tonight.

sporthenry
01-23-2013, 08:46 PM
I'm hoping the mods will award an extra pitchfork to the hardcore DBR folks who hang to the bitter end without getting a Notification
[glancing up to the top of the screen]

I hope the mods don't go crazy when guys like Dickie V and our own Chris Collins have ripped into us harder. I know the common refrain on this board is to never question their toughness and hustle but that was clearly lacking in this game and I don't think anyone really went over the top.

rsvman
01-23-2013, 08:46 PM
The beauty of it is that even if we lose by 49 points they can only give us one loss tonight.

hudlow
01-23-2013, 08:47 PM
go Yellow Jackets...!

FerryFor50
01-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Man, miami isn't even playing defense all that great. Just flat out missing makeable shots. It's like I'm watching myself play.

Furniture
01-23-2013, 08:48 PM
Is the king wearing no clothes?

El_Diablo
01-23-2013, 08:48 PM
Curry + Cook + Thornton = 1/27 from the field.

uh_no
01-23-2013, 08:49 PM
I'm hoping the mods will award an extra pitchfork to the hardcore DBR folks who hang to the bitter end without getting a Notification
[glancing up to the top of the screen]

Ouch.

Sometimes I see duke lose big and I think it is indicative of weaknesses on the team. I don't think this game is like this. We ran into a steamroller. Anyone remember georgetown 2010? This one is slightly worse, no doubt, but it happens sometimes.....

Just gotta hope for kelly back and that some of the guys get some PT.

I'm not sure we can say "our rebounding did us in" or our offense or defense....it was just everything....and that is what leads me to say "this is not our team"....we've played and beaten too many other really good teams for this to be us.

FerryFor50
Nice shoulder tackle on plumlee with no call. Not that it matters, but still... Insult to injury.

dukelifer
Is the king wearing no clothes?

Nope- Kelly is wearing clothes.

Utley
01-23-2013, 08:50 PM
Just lost it with the Miami floor slap. Miami dead. Karma coming your way.

dukelifer
01-23-2013, 08:51 PM
Curry + Cook + Thornton = 1/27 from the field.

Don't think that will happen often.

dairedevil
01-23-2013, 08:52 PM
I'm just hoping they can score 50 points. Going in, I thought this was a likely loss - but I thought it would be a hard fought, tough game. I don't know when I've seen such a miserable shooting performance. I had high hopes when the first bucket was a 3 by Rasheed. Oh, well....deep sigh.

moonpie23
01-23-2013, 08:53 PM
we broke 50.........sigh.....

gus
01-23-2013, 08:55 PM
watching kelly hop into the huddle was painful.

Les Grossman
Ryan hopping over to the team huddle *on one leg*

FerryFor50
The sequence of an alley oop by kadji, blocked dunk attempt on mason by kadji, then transition 3 by Miami sums this game up in a nutshell.

BlueandWhite
01-23-2013, 08:57 PM
Nope. 0/10 I believe. The team has given up and K does NOT look pleased. The next practice is going to be BRUTAL. IF I were a betting man I'd put some $ on the Noles against Miami coming off their high tonight.

The stat they cited earlier was unbelievable, that Curry, Cook and Thornton are 1-27 from the floor. That is just unbelievable. How can we possibly win when our perimeter shooters are all having off nights, & most of their shots were open looks.

This really ranks with the worst Duke losses of all time. I think however that this game can serve as a watershed for the season, if they get their act together collectively. I would absolutely love to be a fly on the wall at Duke's next few practices.

Furniture
watching kelly hop into the huddle was painful.

My thoughts exactly..

:-(

SupaDave
Ryan hopping over to the team huddle *on one leg*

This I have to agree with. That was not a good sight.

Les Grossman
someone pulled the plug on live stats at half time

captmojo
01-23-2013, 08:59 PM
A great defensive style........none.
Next play.

Chris Randolph
01-23-2013, 09:00 PM

Pretty sure Coach Collins said that Duke was not playing with the right emotion and were not fighting. But ya you're right I don't know what I'm talking about

Lulu
01-23-2013, 09:01 PM
In 18 years, this is the first game I actually stopped watching, decided to just go make dinner for the 2nd half. Looks like nothing changed.
Our players should just be ashamed - hope tonight sinks in.

quahog174
01-23-2013, 09:01 PM
Well at least K hasn't taken all the starters into the locker room by now a la Roy

FerryFor50
01-23-2013, 09:03 PM
One positive... Thornton isn't giving up an easy layup. Use up your fouls!

striker219
01-23-2013, 09:03 PM
Okay, so I'm still watching, and it's still ugly, but I still love this team. Go Duke!

That said, this is way more entertaining than this game, so enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zce-QT7MGSE

CLW
01-23-2013, 09:04 PM
Well we were DOMINATED from start to finish and the team never really put up any fight and the Canes showed out the entire 2nd half and mocked the team with a floor slap. If CIS isn't nuts and the team just doesn't DESTROY Miami in Cameron I'll be disappointed.

#1Duke
01-23-2013, 09:04 PM
Coach K looks AWFUL! I hope he's OK. I never saw him look so bad.

Miami empties the bench on us. I'm beyond sad.

Chris Randolph
01-23-2013, 09:05 PM
Someone stated how this is just "one of those games" where you aren't into it/shots aren't falling/other team plays great. That is what bugs me the most about this game:

This was a BIG game... Miami is in 1st place, we are a game back, had 6 days off before this game and this is how we show up to play. Don't get it. I expect it out of a real young team but we still have 2 seniors and 2 juniors playing out there. Disappointing to say the least.

jipops
01-23-2013, 09:05 PM
The post game thread probably could have been started about an hour ago.

ChillinDuke
01-23-2013, 09:06 PM
Welp...

- Chillin