PDA

View Full Version : What a great day of college basketball

cptnflash
01-19-2013, 11:36 PM
It got off to a slow start with UNC-CH/Md and then the Gators absolutely demolishing a decent Missouri team. But the Syracuse/Louisville game was awesome, Michigan St / Ohio St was great until that inexplicable final heave by Shannon Scott, and then there was the nearly religious experience of Butler/Gonzaga at Hinkle Fieldhouse (my initial reaction was that Roosevelt Jones' shot was after the buzzer, but I'm happy that I was wrong).

There is nothing else in sports that compares to a matchup of two great college basketball teams.

matt1
01-19-2013, 11:38 PM
What a day... I watched it from start to finish, except for a two hour or so break that just happened to make me miss the L'ville-'Cuse game.

g-money
01-20-2013, 01:20 AM
Yeah, on a day in which there was no football to be seen, college basketball definitely put its best foot forward. Some absolutely great games. Can't wait to see L'ville and 'Cuse join the ACC.

Also: With Duke not in action it was a good chance for me to take my Duke blue-colored glasses off for the day, and my goodness there are a lot of good teams out there this season. I'd say there are at least 10 teams that have a legitimate shot at cutting down the nets on April 8.

cptnflash
01-20-2013, 01:43 AM
Also: With Duke not in action it was a good chance for me to take my Duke blue-colored glasses off for the day, and my goodness there are a lot of good teams out there this season. I'd say there are at least 10 teams that have a legitimate shot at cutting down the nets on April 8.

Totally agree - my only serious rooting interest of the day was the standard anti-UNC/CH endeavor, and that was over very quickly. After that, it was just appreciation for great games and great players. It was liberating in a way, to not really care who won and just be able to endulge in great college basketball. One of the most enjoyable days of fandom I can remember.

And yes, there are a number of teams that can cut down the nets in Atlanta this year. Besides us, I think the scariest teams (barring injury of course) are Florida, Syracuse, Michigan and Kansas. I would not want any of them slipping to a #2 seed and winding up in our bracket (I'm indulging in optimism here and envisioning a win at Miami next Wednesday, followed by Ryan Kelly's return within the next few weeks, the combination of which would secure a #1 seed for us IMO). To me the next tier after that is Louisville, Indiana, and Minnesota. After that, I think everyone else is a long shot.

jimsumner
01-20-2013, 12:22 PM
It got off to a slow start with UNC-CH/Md and then the Gators absolutely demolishing a decent Missouri team. But the Syracuse/Louisville game was awesome, Michigan St / Ohio St was great until that inexplicable final heave by Shannon Scott, and then there was the nearly religious experience of Butler/Gonzaga at Hinkle Fieldhouse (my initial reaction was that Roosevelt Jones' shot was after the buzzer, but I'm happy that I was wrong).

There is nothing else in sports that compares to a matchup of two great college basketball teams.

Although lacking national implications, the VT-Wake game went down to the wire.

Viriginia-FSU? Not so much.

And Cincy-Marquette went OT.

So, yes it was a neat day for college hoops without the complications of a Duke game.

g-money
01-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Totally agree - my only serious rooting interest of the day was the standard anti-UNC/CH endeavor, and that was over very quickly. After that, it was just appreciation for great games and great players. It was liberating in a way, to not really care who won and just be able to endulge in great college basketball. One of the most enjoyable days of fandom I can remember.

And yes, there are a number of teams that can cut down the nets in Atlanta this year. Besides us, I think the scariest teams (barring injury of course) are Florida, Syracuse, Michigan and Kansas. I would not want any of them slipping to a #2 seed and winding up in our bracket (I'm indulging in optimism here and envisioning a win at Miami next Wednesday, followed by Ryan Kelly's return within the next few weeks, the combination of which would secure a #1 seed for us IMO). To me the next tier after that is Louisville, Indiana, and Minnesota. After that, I think everyone else is a long shot.

How about Butler and Gonzaga, cptnflash? Butler's been knocking on the door for the past few years, and Gonzaga almost beat Butler @Butler last night. With the lack of a dominant high major, my sense is that this could be the year that a mid-major (I use that term loosely with these teams) finally makes it over the hump. Which would be terrific - as long as it's not at Duke's expense...

cptnflash
01-20-2013, 01:57 PM
How about Butler and Gonzaga, cptnflash? Butler's been knocking on the door for the past few years, and Gonzaga almost beat Butler @Butler last night. With the lack of a dominant high major, my sense is that this could be the year that a mid-major (I use that term loosely with these teams) finally makes it over the hump. Which would be terrific - as long as it's not at Duke's expense...

Among the so called mid-majors, I would call Gonzaga and VCU long shots, and everyone else (including Butler) a "no shot". Despite my immense respect for Brad Stevens, I don't think he has the horses this year.