PDA

View Full Version : Curry Brothers Scoring Champions!!

Rudy
01-19-2013, 04:29 PM
Thought this deserved its own thread.

Seth's 24 against Ga Tech pushed them ahead of the Persons.

1 -- Tyler and Ben Hansbrough ... 4,485
2 -- Larry and Eddie Bird .... 4,405
3 -- Stephen and Seth Curry ... 4,394

JasonEvans
01-19-2013, 05:06 PM
What about Jon, Brent, Drew, and Scooter Barry?

Brent scored 1307 points
Scooter scored 371
Jon scored 1354
Drew scored 1252

Total - 4284 total points.

Oh... uhhh... nevermind. I really thought 4 guys would have more than that.

-Jason "Cheryl and Reggie Miller are over 5000 career points... so make sure you talk about brothers, not siblings" Evans

Indoor66
01-19-2013, 05:09 PM
What about Jon, Brent, Drew, and Scooter Barry?

Brent scored 1307 points
Scooter scored 371
Jon scored 1354
Drew scored 1252

Total - 4284 total points.

Oh... uhhh... nevermind. I really thought 4 guys would have more than that.

-Jason "Cheryl and Reggie Miller are over 5000 career points... so make sure you talk about brothers, not siblings" Evans

Gee, you are the only person to bring this up. I guess it is not really a problem. :D

brevity
01-19-2013, 06:55 PM
Jason's point about the Miller siblings is valid. Too many of us are looking at this from the perspective of the men's college basketball record books. That's fine and all, but the real perspective is that of the parents. You want to see the Hansbrough parents' blank stares when Dell and Sonya Curry make an unscheduled visit in a few months. (What? Blank stares are the default? And it runs in the family?)

Time to look at the whole picture, people. Which parents can brag the most about their kids' career scoring? Aside from Mr. and Mrs. Chamberlain, that is.

burnspbesq
01-19-2013, 06:55 PM
FWIW, the highest-scoring sister act appears to be the McGee twins, who combined for 4,560 points.

Barring injury, the Ogwumikwes have a good shot at catching them.

MCFinARL
01-19-2013, 07:43 PM
Of course, if only he had been able to play four years instead of three, Pistol Pete Maravich would almost certainly hold the men's record all by himself--with 3667 points in 83 games over three seasons, we could project him to have over 4800 points. Crazy.

JasonEvans
01-19-2013, 11:27 PM
Of course, if only he had been able to play four years instead of three, Pistol Pete Maravich would almost certainly hold the men's record all by himself--with 3667 points in 83 games over three seasons, we could project him to have over 4800 points. Crazy.

The moment I saw this thread, the very first thing I did was look to see if Pistol Pete had a brother who played even a little bit of college hoops. He did have a brother, but as far as I can tell the dude never played any hoops. Sorta hard to believe that could happen in that family. Pete and Press basically lived for basketball.

To see Pete play in college was to see a wonder. He was off the charts. A one man, unstoppable show. He was only slightly worse than that in the NBA. If the NBA had a 3 point line when he played, he would have scored at least 4 or 5 more points per game because he was always bombing away from deep!

-Jason "poetry in motion" Evans

Kedsy
01-19-2013, 11:58 PM
If the NBA had a 3 point line when he played, he would have scored at least 4 or 5 more points per game because he was always bombing away from deep!

Forget the NBA, if the NCAA had a three-point line when he played, Pistol Pete and his brother who never played quite possibly would have had more points than any other duo.

Turtleboy
01-20-2013, 02:04 PM
Forget the NBA, if the NCAA had a three-point line when he played, Pistol Pete and his brother who never played quite possibly would have had more points than any other duo.
"Maravich played before the advent of the three-point line. His long-distance shooting skill thus produced far fewer points than would have been the case in a later era. Years later, former LSU head basketball coach Dale Brown charted every college game Maravich played, taking into consideration all shots he took. Brown calculated that at the NCAA rule of a three-point line at 19-foot (5.8 m), 9-inches from the rim, Maravich would have averaged thirteen 3-point scores per game, lifting the player's career average to 57 points per game."

Cite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Maravich)

Kedsy
01-20-2013, 02:18 PM
"Maravich played before the advent of the three-point line. His long-distance shooting skill thus produced far fewer points than would have been the case in a later era. Years later, former LSU head basketball coach Dale Brown charted every college game Maravich played, taking into consideration all shots he took. Brown calculated that at the NCAA rule of a three-point line at 19-foot (5.8 m), 9-inches from the rim, Maravich would have averaged thirteen 3-point scores per game, lifting the player's career average to 57 points per game."

Cite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Maravich)

Which I beleive would come out to 4731 points for his 3-year career and would top the brother list all by himself (although I guess still trailing the Miller siblings). On the other hand, I'd take anything Dale Brown said with a very large grain of NaCl.

jimsumner
01-20-2013, 02:46 PM
RE: Maravich. If we use the what-would-he-have-done-under-today's-rules metric, then he would have gone to the NBA after his freshman season and none of this matters.

Kedsy
01-20-2013, 03:00 PM
RE: Maravich. If we use the what-would-he-have-done-under-today's-rules metric, then he would have gone to the NBA after his freshman season and none of this matters.

Spoil sport.

vick
01-20-2013, 03:34 PM
On the other hand, I'd take anything Dale Brown said with a very large grain of NaCl.

I'm too young to have seen anything of Maravich other than highlight clips, but this claim, which I have heard before, seems to me to be almost certainly wrong. For his career, Maravich hit 1387 of 3166 FGA for an 0.438 average (while his teammates hit 1612 of their 3119 for a much higher 0.517 average). So Maravich averaged 38 shot attempts per game. Under the very generous assumption that he hit "would be threes" at the same rate as twos (making him an unbelievably terrible inside finisher for a supposed all-time great guard), he would have needed 30 of these shots (13/0.438) to be "threes." Even for a player as...unique as Maravich, I have a hard time imagining more than three-quarters of his shots were beyond the "arc." Under frankly more realistic assumptions about shooting percentages, you wind up getting an even higher proportion needing to be "threes." In short, I just have extreme trouble believing this oft-repeated claim (as you say, it should have a huge grain of salt at best).

lotusland
01-20-2013, 08:32 PM
I wonder how many points will Marshall need to score to put the Plumless bros out front:D:

JasonEvans
01-20-2013, 10:07 PM

Here is a thought -- what if, after Pistol's freshman year with him looking to turn pro, LSU gave his father (the LSU head coach) a new contract. The contract called for payments over the next 3 years of $4 million dollars per year more than what Press was currently making as their head coach. In essence, LSU would be supplementing Press' salary to the tune of what Pete would be making in the NBA if he was playing there instead of staying in school.

-Jason "Would this be an NCAA violation? I doubt it" Evans

Turtleboy
01-21-2013, 09:04 AM
RE: Maravich. If we use the what-would-he-have-done-under-today's-rules metric, then he would have gone to the NBA after his freshman season and none of this matters.None of this matters anyway, but you still shouldn't fight the hypothetical. It's merely an interesting way to look at the way Pete scored his points. No one but you is suggesting anything else.

MCFinARL
01-21-2013, 10:09 AM
I wonder how many points will Marshall need to score to put the Plumless bros out front:D:

Assuming 20 more games this year (which would be, say, three ACC and three NCAA tournament games--number chosen only to make the math easy, not intended to be a prediction), and Mason scoring in those games at his current average of 17.4 points, Marshall would need to add a mere 2,420 points to the 2 he has already to surpass the current Hansbrough record. That should be no problem ;)

Of course if Seth pulls the Currys into the lead, Marshall might need a few more.

[Source--stats on goduke.com, which show, FWIW, Miles with 650 career points and Mason with 769 points at the beginning of this season.]

nocilla
01-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Which I beleive would come out to 4731 points for his 3-year career and would top the brother list all by himself (although I guess still trailing the Miller siblings). On the other hand, I'd take anything Dale Brown said with a very large grain of NaCl.

Also, I think the opposing defenses would have played him a little different with a 3 pt line. They may have been giving him the long 2 as it was a low percentage shot compared to letting him dribble into the lane. Of course one could argue that if the defense had been forced to play him tighter on the perimeter then he would have been even better at getting to the basket. Who knows? He was an extraordinary talent regardless, but I don't think you can accurately translate his scoring with a 3 point line without giving the defense the same opportunity, for better or for worse.

Rudy
01-26-2013, 09:42 PM
2 -- Stephen and Seth Curry ... 4,407
3 --Larry and Eddie Bird .... 4,405

uh_no
01-26-2013, 09:56 PM

calling it now.....79 point effort from curry against wake!

devildeac
01-26-2013, 10:01 PM
calling it now.....79 point effort from curry against wake!

Beer bet on that one?;):rolleyes:

Dang. Wrong thread again:o.

throatybeard
01-27-2013, 01:34 AM
I don't think you can really superimpose the pro culture or 1995-present on the pre-1975 guys. In other words, I think it's a fairly certain thing to say that if DT had had a four year career, he'd have scored a lot of points during the other year

Maravich too.

I'm a fan of Maravich living longer and doing more in hypotheticals of all sorts, because I'm nearing his age at his death. Yikes.

Verga!!!!!!

lotusland
01-27-2013, 10:12 AM
Assuming 20 more games this year (which would be, say, three ACC and three NCAA tournament games--number chosen only to make the math easy, not intended to be a prediction), and Mason scoring in those games at his current average of 17.4 points, Marshall would need to add a mere 2,420 points to the 2 he has already to surpass the current Hansbrough record. That should be no problem ;)

Of course if Seth pulls the Currys into the lead, Marshall might need a few more.

[Source--stats on goduke.com, which show, FWIW, Miles with 650 career points and Mason with 769 points at the beginning of this season.]
Hmm what is the sibling rebound record?

nocilla
01-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Hmm what is the sibling rebound record?

Or the sibling Dunk record. I will go out on a limb and bet the Plumlees have the Duke sibling Dunk record.

DevilWearsPrada
01-30-2013, 09:07 AM

Stephen only played 3 seasons at Davidson before going into the NBA! Tyler and Ben played 4 seasons! I am sure the Bird brothers played 4 seasons also. Does Stephen Curry only playing 3 seasons alter the stats!!! Or show just how good those Curry brothers really are!!!! Seth Greenburg was a real idiot for not offering either Steph or Seth a scholorship!!! So glad he didn't!

SOME People like Salt and Pepper!!! Put a little CURRY on that, please!!!

Rudy
01-31-2013, 08:43 PM
Since I started this I guess I should keep it up. Numbers after the Wake Forest game:

2 -- Stephen and Seth Curry ... 4,428

throatybeard
02-01-2013, 08:43 AM
As a sometime, out-of-region watcher of Mississippi State, I had no idea Ben Hansbrough was so good. I didn't really see his Notre Dame years.

pfrduke
02-01-2013, 10:16 AM
As a sometime, out-of-region watcher of Mississippi State, I had no idea Ben Hansbrough was so good. I didn't really see his Notre Dame years.

He's even getting burn in the NBA for the Pacers, although his minutes over the past month have been much more limited.

Rudy
02-03-2013, 06:11 PM
2 -- Stephen and Seth Curry ... 4,449

Probably two more games to go on top.

BigWayne
02-04-2013, 12:20 PM
2 -- Stephen and Seth Curry ... 4,449

Probably two more games to go on top.
Good chance he does it in the Carolina game, which would be fitting.

1 24 90
02-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Good chance he does it in the Carolina game, which would be fitting.

It would be awesome if he got 37 points this Thursday instead.

Sixthman
02-05-2013, 08:34 AM
Stephen only played 3 seasons at Davidson before going into the NBA! Tyler and Ben played 4 seasons! I am sure the Bird brothers played 4 seasons also. Does Stephen Curry only playing 3 seasons alter the stats!!! Or show just how good those Curry brothers really are!!!! Seth Greenburg was a real idiot for not offering either Steph or Seth a scholorship!!! So glad he didn't!

SOME People like Salt and Pepper!!! Put a little CURRY on that, please!!!

Larry Legend played three years. Went to Indiana freshman year and quit before the season started because he did not like it. He sat out a year and then played three years at Indiana State.

Rudy
02-08-2013, 12:41 AM
Oops. Through NC State. Can't edit the title of the post. Cut and paste too fast.

10 points to take the lead

2 -- Stephen and Seth Curry ... 4,476

DevilWearsPrada
02-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Oops. Through NC State. Can't edit the title of the post. Cut and paste too fast.

Lets Go CURRY TEAM!!!!! Love it when Seth shoots lights out!!!! Those Curry men (Dell, Steph and Seth) have the Shooting Hoops Gene!!!!!

TruBlu
02-08-2013, 02:45 PM
To be honest, Steph has not contributed anything to the Curry Brothers total for several years now. He must be going through a terrible slump!:rolleyes:

mbwalker
02-08-2013, 03:23 PM
To be honest, Steph has not contributed anything to the Curry Brothers total for several years now. He must be going through a terrible slump!:rolleyes:

Steph? Is there a third Curry brother? Or maybe a sister? :D

Lunchab1es
02-10-2013, 09:04 PM

18 points for Curry tonight...victory.:D

rsvman
02-11-2013, 10:02 AM
18 points for Curry tonight...victory.:D

AND........down go the Hansblahblahs!!

CrazyNotCrazie
02-11-2013, 12:22 PM
I apologize if this is discussed elsewhere, but is there a higher record for a group of 3 or more brothers, such as the Plumlees (unlikely to top the Currys) or the Zellers, who could put up big numbers if Cody sticks around and adds to the decent numbers his older two brothers put up?