PDA

View Full Version : CBS Scouting report: How to Beat Duke

NM Duke Fan
01-17-2013, 09:08 PM
For each team, we will talk to four or five coaches who played them this season, and get in-depth insight into each title threat.

Primary Weakness:

“I think it’s their bench. Their bench didn’t scare us at all. Outside of Thornton, who I think is their best defender, I don’t think their bench is very good at all. They’re only playing to get the starters a rest; they’re not playing them to play them. Bench will catch up to them.”

“Those guys are used to playing long minutes, so I don’t think it’s the bench. Their biggest weakness is defensively. They try to hide the fact by taking you out of your offense. They deny, they pressure. But you can break them down.”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/21570168/scouting-title-contenders-duke-blue-devils

ns7
01-17-2013, 10:08 PM
For each team, we will talk to four or five coaches who played them this season, and get in-depth insight into each title threat.

Primary Weakness:

“I think it’s their bench. Their bench didn’t scare us at all. Outside of Thornton, who I think is their best defender, I don’t think their bench is very good at all. They’re only playing to get the starters a rest; they’re not playing them to play them. Bench will catch up to them.”

“Those guys are used to playing long minutes, so I don’t think it’s the bench. Their biggest weakness is defensively. They try to hide the fact by taking you out of your offense. They deny, they pressure. But you can break them down.”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/21570168/scouting-title-contenders-duke-blue-devils

They guy who said defense is either lazy/way off or is NC State's coach. Duke's defense has been elite with Ryan Kelly this season. Now defense may be an issue moving forward without Kelly, as seen by NC State's performance recently, but that is yet to be established as a pattern and can't be said with certainty.

FerryFor50
01-17-2013, 10:24 PM
I can see why those coaches all lost - they really don't understand this duke team. They act like this is the same 3 pt shot happy team....

superdave
01-17-2013, 11:15 PM
My scouting report to beat Duke -

1. Look for quick transition buckets.
2. Crash the offensive boards.
3. Rotate a defender over to Mason when he takes his second dribble.
4. Play Seth physically.

cptnflash
01-18-2013, 12:12 AM

4. Play Seth physically.

Exactly the way NC State beat us. Spot on.

licc85
01-18-2013, 01:12 AM

4. Play Seth physically.

You forgot "Hope Ryan Kelly is injured"

lotusland
01-18-2013, 08:36 AM

4. Play Seth physically.

Very interesting article. A point that was repeated "don't turn the ball over" seems obvious but highlights how much better Duke plays on both ends when they force turnovers.

Mike Corey
01-18-2013, 09:49 AM

4. Play Seth physically.

Coach, you probably shouldn't broadcast for the rest of the world to see. ;)

pfrduke
01-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Very interesting article. A point that was repeated "don't turn the ball over" seems obvious but highlights how much better Duke plays on both ends when they force turnovers.

Interestingly enough, this season our forcing of turnovers has had almost no correlation with offensive efficiency. We've had very high efficiency in very low turnover games (e.g., Temple - TO% of 14.6, efficiency of 131.7) and vice versa (e.g., Georgia Tech - TO% of 29.3, efficiency of 102; Elon - TO% of 24.4, efficiency of 109 (still high, but our 5th lowest on the season in our 4th best performance in terms of forcing turnovers)).

killerleft
01-18-2013, 10:14 AM
You forgot "Hope Ryan Kelly is injured"

Pretty simple. The other things have been proven not to work so far.

JNort
01-18-2013, 10:15 AM

I doubt that cause that's about how every Duke team does. Is it nice to have someone on the bench you know you can rely on? YES! It looks as if Amile is becoming that guy if he keeps up his play and goes back to bench type of minutes when Ryan comes back. A good bench player is someone who has a specific role and applies it positively when they are called upon.

I partially agree with this, BUT wait for before you hit the negative comment button! Yes our defensive rating are good but not because we have talented defenders or play good one on one. Our defense is is good as long as we keep other teams out of their offense just like the coach said. Whoever is at point is supposed to play pressure in your face on the guy with the ball in his hand while the other two wing guys play ball denial.

This coach just means get them in a one on one situation or create space and that's how you beat the Duke D. It's just a style to mask a weakness like zone defense is also a style to mask a weakness.

Kedsy
01-18-2013, 11:33 AM
"Their biggest weakness is defensively. They try to hide the fact by taking you out of your offense.”

But isn't "taking you out of your offense" the definition of good defense?

I agree with JNort -- they simply mean our individual one-on-one D isn't outstanding. But our team D has been.

JNort
01-18-2013, 11:53 AM

I agree with JNort -- they simply mean our individual one-on-one D isn't outstanding. But our team D has been.

Depending on the defense you run yes. Not all teams try to disrupt like we do, some play good man to man D or play an opportunistic D or zone. Each requires a different philosophy.

That coach was just saying make them plan iso defense and you have a better chance. Had to have been State they have the most player who are good one on one guys (Purvis, Leslie, Brown and Warren)

wilko
01-18-2013, 11:56 AM

That could be a changing dynamic as the season progresses. Amile has bit better movement and is quicker off his feet than Kelly. Amile seems to be prone to making silly fouls, but aside from that - I saw some nice things.

A couple of sequences I recall from last night where Amile fronted the O and then Mason snuck in for the block.
Could be something to build on.

JNort
01-18-2013, 12:07 PM
That could be a changing dynamic as the season progresses. Amile has bit better movement and is quicker off his feet than Kelly. Amile seems to be prone to making silly fouls, but aside from that - I saw some nice things.

A couple of sequences I recall from last night where Amile fronted the O and then Mason snuck in for the block.
Could be something to build on.

Yeah agree here but I feel this is true for almost every freshmen/sophomore post player. Though some of those fouls have been really tick tacky... Otherwise he looks stellar.

Kedsy
01-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Yeah agree here but I feel this is true for almost every freshmen/sophomore post player. Though some of those fouls have been really tick tacky... Otherwise he looks stellar.

I don't know if I'd go that far. I noticed several times last night when he was caught out of position on D. So I'd say his defensive positioning needs work.

JNort
01-18-2013, 12:18 PM
I don't know if I'd go that far. I noticed several times last night when he was caught out of position on D. So I'd say his defensive positioning needs work.

O i'm not denying that just some of those (1 or 2 in State game and 1 or 2 against GT) would be called differently by different refs. He just needs to learn to adjust to the style of play the refs allow in different games as well.

Kedsy
01-18-2013, 12:39 PM
O i'm not denying that just some of those (1 or 2 in State game and 1 or 2 against GT) would be called differently by different refs. He just needs to learn to adjust to the style of play the refs allow in different games as well.

I'm not just talking about his fouls. In the usual course of playing defense, Amile often doesn't position himself in the right place, or he starts in the right place but doesn't adjust properly, or he loses his way and doesn't get back quickly enough. Sometimes it results in a foul, sometimes he makes up for his mistakes with his long arms, sometimes Mason bails him out, and sometimes the other team gets a good scoring opportunity. On defense, at least, I don't personally think Amile looks "stellar" yet. It'll come in time. I don't know if it'll come this season or not.

Newton_14
01-18-2013, 10:58 PM

And that is the key and the thing folks so often miss including the coach that made that comment. K's defense is 100% about team defensive scheme's. 5 guys working as a unit, each with multiple assignments based on reacting to what the opponent is trying to do on offense. Actually defending the man you are assigned to is one very small aspect in the overall scheme. Switching, rotating, flashing, help and recover, denying passing lanes, taking charges, rotating, etc. The one guy whose most important role is defending his man is the point guard who is the tip of the spear. The PG has to be an excellent on ball defender far moreso than the other four guys. The reason teams are so anxious to fast break is so they don't have to face the halfcourt defense, because contrary to that coaches belief, "breaking them down" is just not that easy. (Prior to losing Ryan)

It is very fun to watch when K has one of his better defensive teams like this year prior to Ryan's injury. I am anxious to see how the defense develops over the next few games.