PDA

View Full Version : CJ Leslie saves guy in wheelchair

boyce
01-17-2013, 10:15 AM
I don't know if anybody else noted this at the end of the State game, but there was a guy in a wheelchair rushing the court.

Apparently, he was near getting trampled, and CJ Leslie bailed him out. Sweet story:

http://tinyurl.com/bhhcd2b

Jderf
01-17-2013, 12:53 PM
I don't know if anybody else noted this at the end of the State game, but there was a guy in a wheelchair rushing the court.

Apparently, he was near getting trampled, and CJ Leslie bailed him out. Sweet story:

I did see that story a few days ago. It seemed strange that no one around here seemed to be talking about it. Definitely bumped Leslie up a few notches in my book.

It reminds me about a story from a year or two back where Jamie Dixon (Pitt Coach) stopped on the side of the highway when he spotted an overturned vehicle and helped pull the trapped passengers from the car. Some people just have that instinct. I, for one, will be happy to have him in the conference.

Duvall
01-17-2013, 12:54 PM
Good for Leslie, but this just underscores why fans shouldn't be on the court in the first place.

DukieInKansas
01-17-2013, 01:24 PM
It was mentioned, with a link, in the front page article on 1/13/13 titled More Thoughts on Duke-State. http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=46250

There was also a story on Good Morning America on Tuesday of this week - I was leaving the house so I didn't get to watch it so I need to go search that out.

I remember seeing the wheelchair head out onto court and it worried me - even Dickie V commented on it. I'm glad someone was looking out for the young man.

mkline09
01-17-2013, 02:08 PM
I know I'm a curmudgeon from time to time but I thought the story got way too much attention from the media, local and national. The real story was Leslie saving this poor kid from getting trampled and he very well could have. It underscores the whole you probably shouldn't rush the court thing but being a college student once upon a time, I get the thrill of doing something stupid. Many of us partook in stupidity in college I bet few ended up on the Today show saying, hey look at that stupid thing I did and almost got hurt doing. Rushing the court was just stupid for anyone, not just the young man in the wheel chair. Had he gotten hurt it would have been lawsuits and nightmares for NC State. Because Leslie essentially saved him it became a feel good story but still seemed to offer too much attention for my taste for a stupid act. Publicizing one stupid act and giving it lots of attention only encourages others to do stupid acts. Rush the court in a wheel chair, fine, being made a hero for it, I think is a it much.

Channing
01-17-2013, 02:09 PM
I started a thread about this that got merged into the NCSU postgame thread, although my post was a little more focused on how anyone could have let that kid get on the court in the first place. It was a miracle the kid wasn't seriously injured.

CameronBornAndBred
01-17-2013, 02:11 PM
I know I'm a curmudgeon from time to time but I thought the story got way too much attention from the media, local and national. The real story was Leslie saving this poor kid from getting trampled and he very well could have. It underscores the whole you probably shouldn't rush the court thing but being a college student once upon a time, I get the thrill of doing something stupid. Many of us partook in stupidity in college I bet few ended up on the Today show saying, hey look at that stupid thing I did and almost got hurt doing. Rushing the court was just stupid for anyone, not just the young man in the wheel chair. Had he gotten hurt it would have been lawsuits and nightmares for NC State. Because Leslie essentially saved him it became a feel good story but still seemed to offer too much attention for my taste for a stupid act. Publicizing one stupid act and giving it lots of attention only encourages others to do stupid acts. Rush the court in a wheel chair, fine, being made a hero for it, I think is a it much.

I don't mind it, I think it's a nice feel good story that had a happy outcome, and I'll take that over the other stories that have been in the news lately.

mkline09
01-17-2013, 02:23 PM

I don't mind it, I think it's a nice feel good story that had a happy outcome, and I'll take that over the other stories that have been in the news lately.

Ha I've had that and I have to admit it suits me. And I would agree with you regarding that this story is better than most on the news.

MCFinARL
01-17-2013, 04:05 PM

Yeah, the whole rushing the court thing is pretty scary. Apparently last night the UMd fans rushed the court after beating NC State--I saw an interview with Alex Len on the news in which he said a couple of people--total strangers, jumped on his back--and later saw a story reporting that eventually he was knocked over. In this case, no harm was done, but it could have ended otherwise, for Len or for one of the foolish fans who jumped on him.

-bdbd
01-17-2013, 05:46 PM

Yes, saw this linked in another string earlier in the week. But my main reaction as the TV announcers pointed out the kid in the wheelchair (on live TV) at the head of the throng, waiting to take the court was just, "This is not going to end well..." :rolleyes: Kinda funny that doing something so incredibly stupid/dangerous actually lands one on tv, doing an interview. HA! At least the (wheelchair) kid had the minimal sense about it, during the interview, to appear kinda sheepish about the whole thing.

Only at State.

All that said, it IS fair to give props to Leslie for seeing what was going on and reacting quickly. Hopefully the school does something to prevent this sort of dangerous situation in the future. :) Also kinda funny that State rushes the court on Sat., only to be rushed upon 4 days later at College Park! At least last night the Terp fans, reportedly, had the (minimal) good sense not to have any wheelchair-bound kids leading the charge...

oldnavy
01-17-2013, 07:17 PM
I've been trying to understand why Maryland would rush the court after beating NCSU.

I think I have it. Maryland rushed the court because they beat NCSU, NCSU beat Duke, therefore Maryland beat Duke. It is the only thing I can come up with.

MCFinARL
01-17-2013, 11:30 PM
I've been trying to understand why Maryland would rush the court after beating NCSU.

I think I have it. Maryland rushed the court because they beat NCSU, NCSU beat Duke, therefore Maryland beat Duke. It is the only thing I can come up with.

That's a plausible explanation. It's also possible that the nature of the win--by one point on a last-second tip-in--had something to do with it.