PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie Irving- NBA All-Star

DBFAN
01-17-2013, 01:08 AM
So I just read where Irving is trailing Rondo and Williams in All Star voting, so he is hoping to be picked as a reserve. Now while I would like to argue with those who feel that Rondo and Williams deserve it more than him, it is not the point of the thread. My question is about Byron Scott. Although I believe that it is probably coming from the right place, I thing he gets a little derogatory when talking about his PG

ex

"I don't know what his chances are, and I don't know if I think he should make it," Scott said Wednesday. "It's all predicated on how your team is doing, as well. If you're playing great, if your team is playing pretty good, then you have a better chance.

"Obviously, recordwise, we're not there. So I think that's a reflection on the players as well. Chance of him making it? Probably 40-60."

Why couldn't he just say I don't know if he makes it, he's worked hard all year, we will just have to wait and see

This is not the first time this year he has said some things I thought were a little too much. But like I said I am sure there is a method to it, just comes across odd to me

niveklaen
01-17-2013, 06:42 AM
I would not give Byron Scott too hard of a time. He is almost certainly under orders from Cleveland's management. Under the new CBA, Kyrie will be eligible for a higher 'max' offer if he makes the all star team than if he does not. They have to play down his chances in order to save money.

of course, stuff like this is why guys keep leaving them...

jipops
01-17-2013, 08:50 AM
I see no issue with Byron's comments. This is only Kyrie's second year in the league. He will have many, many, many all-star appearances in his career. If I could pick, I would rather see Kyrie in the playoffs (obviously not going to happen this year) than in an all-star game.

He'll probably be picked as a reserve this season anyways.

COYS
01-17-2013, 09:58 AM
I see no issue with Byron's comments. This is only Kyrie's second year in the league. He will have many, many, many all-star appearances in his career. If I could pick, I would rather see Kyrie in the playoffs (obviously not going to happen this year) than in an all-star game.

He'll probably be picked as a reserve this season anyways.

Kyrie has two big weaknesses right now. The first is his distribution. He needs to increase his assist rate just a little bit to become a little less Iverson and a little more Paul (even though Iverson was a better distributor than he often gets credit for being). It is true that part of the issue with his assist is his teammates. However, there are enough players capable of scoring that Kyrie needs to find better ways to get them involved.

The second area is his defense, which is still below average.

As you say, he's in his second year and he'll get better in these areas. Actually, Kevin Durant had similar knocks against him early in his career. His defense was bad and he had a low assist rate, even for a small forward. However, the past two years he's improved his assist rate and his defense has become much better. This is not to say that Kyrie will achieve what Durant has achieved (although he might). However, if he wants to get there, he DOES have room for improvement. While personally I think Kyrie is already better than D-Will, one could certainly make the argument that Rondo's defense gives him the edge over Kyrie. And I wouldn't complain if D-Will got voted ahead of him, either. My bet is that falling short of being an All Star will only give Kyrie more motivation to improve. There's no doubt he makes plenty of All Star games in the future (provided he stays healthy).

DBFAN
01-17-2013, 03:24 PM
And while we are talking about Duke players and the all star game how us it that Deng and Boozer (especially with the month he has had) not getting any love from the media. Boozer's numbers are ridiculous over the last month and Deng has been great all year not to mention his stellar D

greybeard
01-17-2013, 03:38 PM
This is about "the show" and he has to be in the top three in the league when it comes to that. All but one phrase in Scott's remarks were to the effect that the kid didn't have a meaningful chance given how our team has played, and the impact that records have on selection. I think that the phrase did not belong there, don't know if the language used was intended given the tenor of everything else said, and that the tone was otherwise just right--hey, it's just the way it is, no complaints.

JNort
01-18-2013, 10:48 AM
Kyrie has two big weaknesses right now. The first is his distribution. He needs to increase his assist rate just a little bit to become a little less Iverson and a little more Paul (even though Iverson was a better distributor than he often gets credit for being). It is true that part of the issue with his assist is his teammates. However, there are enough players capable of scoring that Kyrie needs to find better ways to get them involved.

The second area is his defense, which is still below average.

As you say, he's in his second year and he'll get better in these areas. Actually, Kevin Durant had similar knocks against him early in his career. His defense was bad and he had a low assist rate, even for a small forward. However, the past two years he's improved his assist rate and his defense has become much better. This is not to say that Kyrie will achieve what Durant has achieved (although he might). However, if he wants to get there, he DOES have room for improvement. While personally I think Kyrie is already better than D-Will, one could certainly make the argument that Rondo's defense gives him the edge over Kyrie. And I wouldn't complain if D-Will got voted ahead of him, either. My bet is that falling short of being an All Star will only give Kyrie more motivation to improve. There's no doubt he makes plenty of All Star games in the future (provided he stays healthy).

Honestly I think his biggest weakness isn't one he has much control over and that is how much hype he gets for what he does. ESPN almost never mentions him! The big game he had with the facemask... yeah got like a 15 to 20 second mention on SportsCenter. John Wall and D Rose were marketed like crazy.

_Gary
01-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Honestly I think his biggest weakness isn't one he has much control over and that is how much hype he gets for what he does. ESPN almost never mentions him! The big game he had with the facemask... yeah got like a 15 to 20 second mention on SportsCenter. John Wall and D Rose were marketed like crazy.

I tend to agree with this. Because of where he's playing (on a very poor Cleveland squad) the needed hype just isn't there. Kyrie is an incredible talent, and he's clutch in the 4th quarter where he can absolutely take over a game like only the best players can. If he's left off the All-Star roster is will be a pity, imho. He deserves it, and I think a very solid argument can be made that neither Rondo nor Williams are more deserving, this year, than Kyrie. Please note I didn't say they were less deserving either. I'm just saying right now, if I had to take one point guard in the East to start a team with, I'd take Kyrie and I'm betting many others would do the same. Especially with Rose being out.

JNort
01-18-2013, 11:54 AM
I tend to agree with this. Because of where he's playing (on a very poor Cleveland squad) the needed hype just isn't there. Kyrie is an incredible talent, and he's clutch in the 4th quarter where he can absolutely take over a game like only the best players can. If he's left off the All-Star roster is will be a pity, imho. He deserves it, and I think a very solid argument can be made that neither Rondo nor Williams are more deserving, this year, than Kyrie. Please note I didn't say they were less deserving either. I'm just saying right now, if I had to take one point guard in the East to start a team with, I'd take Kyrie and I'm betting many others would do the same. Especially with Rose being out.

Well Rondo deserves a spot imo but Williams has been very lack luster this year.

DukieinSoCal
01-24-2013, 08:23 PM
Congrats to Kyrie being selected as a reserve on the East all-star squad. Pretty tough competition at PG this year but this is well-deserved and hopefully the first of many all-star selections.
:D

Well Rondo deserves a spot imo but Williams has been very lack luster this year.

roywhite
01-24-2013, 08:25 PM
Congrats to Kyrie being selected as a reserve on the East all-star squad. Pretty tough competition at PG this year but this is well-deserved and hopefully the first of many all-star selections.
:D

Luol Deng was also named to the All-Star roster, his second appearance.

http://espn.go.com/nba/allstar2013/story/_/id/8878380/2013-nba-all-star-game-san-antonio-spurs-chicago-bulls-get-two-reserves

Durham Thunder
01-24-2013, 09:14 PM
If you can put up 40 as the Phantom of the Opera, you are the best point guard in the east.

CajunDevil
01-25-2013, 08:43 AM
If you can put up 40 as the Phantom of the Opera, you are the best point guard in the east.

Totally agree that Kyrie is the best point guard in the East and is deserving of being named an All-Star. CP3 is the only other pg that is on the same level as Kyrie, imho. What is scary is that he's only 20, playing with absolutely no proven NBA talent and still a top 2 PG. What is truly baffling is his control of the ball... I can't remember a player I've seen who can do what he can do with a ball in his hands. Amazing

Billy Dat
01-25-2013, 09:14 AM
The following tweet illuminates an amazing fact:

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons
Damn, that Under-21 All-Stars list is insane: Kobe, LeBron, Magic, Shaq, Isiah, KG, Kyrie. Nice company for Kyrie.

Dev11
01-25-2013, 09:41 AM
The following tweet illuminates an amazing fact:

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons
Damn, that Under-21 All-Stars list is insane: Kobe, LeBron, Magic, Shaq, Isiah, KG, Kyrie. Nice company for Kyrie.

The amazing fact that you are referring to is that Bill Simmons complimented a Duke player in a tweet.

weezie
01-25-2013, 12:21 PM
The amazing fact that you are referring to is that Bill Simmons complimented a Duke player in a tweet.

Simmons was likely pleased by the fact that Kyrie didn't get a chance to become a typically hated Duke player. With more time on Coach K court, who knows?

duke4ever19
01-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Anyone else just see Kyrie take down the Raptors with a long three at the buzzer?

The guy is clutch. A cool customer with the game on the line.

superdave
01-29-2013, 03:09 PM
Kyrie is thought to have (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-130129/nba-best-passer-shooter-defender-point-guard)the most potential amongst PGs in the league.

Two thoughts on this - it's hard to argue that a guy averaging 24+ point per game has potential because he is producing. On the other hand, the Cavs are not winning regularly so that prudction has not turned into playoff contention just yet.

juise
01-29-2013, 03:20 PM
Kyrie is thought to have (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-130129/nba-best-passer-shooter-defender-point-guard)the most potential amongst PGs in the league.

Two thoughts on this - it's hard to argue that a guy averaging 24+ point per game has potential because he is producing. On the other hand, the Cavs are not winning regularly so that prudction has not turned into playoff contention just yet.

I read this earlier and noticed that one of the bloggers agreed with you on that point and chose Jrue Holiday for that reason. My question is: What is meant by potential? The potential to do what? If we are talking about "potential" all-stars, then clearly that ship has sailed for Kyrie. If we are talking about the potential of being one of the best five (three?) PG's ever to play the game, I think Kyrie has that potential. The improvement curve of his game has a distinctly steep upward slope. The kid (at 20) still has enormous potential.

tommy
01-29-2013, 05:21 PM
With Rondo having blown out his knee, the title of this thread should soon be changed to "Kyrie Irving - NBA All-Star Starter at Age 20"

flyingdutchdevil
01-29-2013, 05:46 PM
I read this earlier and noticed that one of the bloggers agreed with you on that point and chose Jrue Holiday for that reason. My question is: What is meant by potential? The potential to do what? If we are talking about "potential" all-stars, then clearly that ship has sailed for Kyrie. If we are talking about the potential of being one of the best five (three?) PG's ever to play the game, I think Kyrie has that potential. The improvement curve of his game has a distinctly steep upward slope. The kid (at 20) still has enormous potential.

Potential is genetic, but there is an easy answer: potential to be great. Chris Paul is already great. Derrick Rose is 95% of the way there (okay, maybe 100% because he won the MVP). Kyrie has the most potential of any guard under the age of 25 to be great.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Kyrie has the potential to be one of the best offensive PGs ever to play the game. IMO, the only thing that will prevent that is his fragile body. His track record of injuries is long, and he's only been in the spotlight for 2.5 years. Also, he plays so hard with so much weaving, turning, and jumping that he often ends up on the floor. He is the next Dwayne Wade in how he uses his body.

Duke76
01-29-2013, 07:52 PM
Potential is genetic, but there is an easy answer: potential to be great. Chris Paul is already great. Derrick Rose is 95% of the way there (okay, maybe 100% because he won the MVP). Kyrie has the most potential of any guard under the age of 25 to be great.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Kyrie has the potential to be one of the best offensive PGs ever to play the game. IMO, the only thing that will prevent that is his fragile body. His track record of injuries is long, and he's only been in the spotlight for 2.5 years. Also, he plays so hard with so much weaving, turning, and jumping that he often ends up on the floor. He is the next Dwayne Wade in how he uses his body.

I agree on the above points but also I will go out of the limb and suggest he has a good shot at being the MVP if he gets enough minutes in the All-Star game.....he's going to dazzle just like last yr...ole Uncle Buck is gonna get buckets from every angle...can't wait