PDA

View Full Version : Coach K on MD to B1G

g-money
01-15-2013, 11:58 PM
I spotted this blog post on cnnsi and thought it would be worth linking to:

http://tracking.si.com/2013/01/15/mike-krzyzewski-rips-realignment/?eref=sircrc

Quote of note:

"And in Maryland’s case, (the ACC is) the only conference they’ve known. And they’re right in the middle of the ACC. And now their fans, they don’t have a place. They’re outsiders. They really are outsiders. What price? What price is paid for that?”

Media types being media types (present company excepted), the cnnsi writer goes on to use that quote to stir the pot a bit, but I find it to be spot on. College Park is going to be a lonely outpost in B1G country.

OldSchool
01-16-2013, 12:04 AM
I have absolutely zero sympathy for their fans. Z E R O

OldPhiKap
01-16-2013, 07:19 AM
If they thought they were in Alaska before . . . .

I too lack sympathy for their fans. Worst in the conference by far. B'bye.

roywhite
01-16-2013, 07:25 AM
Terp fans were the worst bunch in our conference. I guess they'll have to establish their reputation in the B1G.

Not much in the way of established rivalries for them in their new conference. They played Penn State in football for a number of years, and have a 1-35 record.

OldPhiKap
01-16-2013, 07:29 AM
Terp fans were the worst bunch in our conference. I guess they'll have to establish their reputation in the B1G.

Not much in the way of established rivalries for them in their new conference. They played Penn State in football for a number of years, and have a 1-35 record.

Wait until Indiana discovers that they are established bitter rivals with the Twerps already. Hot pennies for all!

JNort
01-16-2013, 10:23 AM
Well there is one good thing for Maryland fans... They still get to hear "Not our rivals" every year. So they get to feel right at home like they never left. :cool:

Reilly
01-16-2013, 10:35 AM
So to recap:

- those who knew them best for 50+ years are happy to see them leave
- those who they are joining could not care less about them and greet their arrival with a yawn at best
- their alum football coach Friedgen who brought them some glory says he flies a GT flag over his house
- their football coach Ross left them to win a national championship with a conference rival
- their alum b'ball coach is more known for his inferiority complex, and not recruiting, than his championship
- their transcendent players (Bias, Lucas) often recalled for their troubles rather than their stellar play
- their fanbase known for vulgarity, profanity, inferiority, rioting, and lawlessness.

At least they have Len Elmore.

OldPhiKap
01-16-2013, 10:38 AM
So to recap:

- those who knew them best for 50+ years are happy to see them leave
- those who they are joining could not care less about them and greet their arrival with a yawn at best
- their alum football coach Friedgen who brought them some glory says he flies a GT flag over his house
- their football coach Ross left them to win a national championship with a conference rival
- their alum b'ball coach is more known for his inferiority complex, and not recruiting, than his championship
- their transcendent players (Bias, Lucas) often recalled for their troubles rather than their stellar play
- their fanbase known for vulgarity, profanity, inferiority, rioting, and lawlessness.

Excellent recap.

The only thing they ever had going for them was Ol' Lefty D. -- and he was a Duke man.

killerleft
01-16-2013, 10:50 AM
Excellent recap.

The only thing they ever had going for them was Ol' Lefty D. -- and he was a Duke man.

And Lefty's not happy with the move, of course. Quoted in November:

Lefty Driesell: ”I think it’s a sad day. You know, I played in the first ACC tournament when I was playing at Duke and I’ve always loved the ACC. I coached in it for 17 years, did announcing in it for two years. It’s a great league. … I think it’s a terrible decision [to move]. You tell me one thing that’s good about it. Besides money, what’s one thing? … I’m an old timer. I’m 80 years old. College athletics used to be for the students, not for the business people.”

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/20/lefty-driesell-not-on-board-with-marylands-move-to-the-big-ten/

Matches
01-16-2013, 11:17 AM

I have some sympathy for their former great players, who just went from bring local celebrities to being near-total unknowns. No more VIP treatment at the ACC Tourney for those guys.

Well check that - I have sympathy for their former great players except for Len Elmore. Because to heck with that guy. :)

davekay1971
01-16-2013, 12:00 PM
For a long time I had good feelings toward Maryland. I grew up in Silver Spring, ate at Ledo's Pizza in College Park as often as my parents could be talked into it, and some of my early basketball memories involve Greg Manning, Albert King, and Buck Williams, and, of course, Lefty. It took Gary Williams and the Maryland fans awhile to erode that inborn goodwill...but by 2001 they'd managed to become the only ACC team, besides UNC, that I truly despise.

Good riddance to them and their fans.

-bdbd
01-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Living in the DC area we are, of course, surrounded by Terp fans (though here in Northern VA it is more VPI than MD or UVA fans). The DC media is chalk full of MD Journalism School grads. No shortage of positive spin for MD in the local media, unfortunately.

While I too have been frequently disgusted by the terrible fan behavior out of College Park - and, more to the point, the school's leadership allowing/encouraging it - I have been mostly just plain surprised at how much the fans just accepted the move. Yes, there were initially a number of blog posts and letters-to-the-editor cries about the announcement, but after the first two weeks you just really didn't hear anything more in the media here about it. Interestingly, I've not noticed any uptick, yet, in coverage of things related to the Big10 either.

Were I a MD grad/fan, I think I'd still be protesting and withdrawing my contributions to the school, etc. I wouldn't be silent. But they have generally seemed to roll over, and most posts that you did see after the first day or two were defending the move and disparaging the ACC. Kinda funny, actually, some posters that I recognized as vociferous ACC supporters in previous times are suddenly complaining about the ACC and "excited" to be joining a "real conference."

My answer is always, "good luck with that MD-Nebraska rivalry... call out the riot police!" And I like to ask this question: "How enthused will you "still" be the first time you have to travel to Wisconsin for a FB game and are down by 35 at halftime?" :rolleyes:

Class of '94
01-16-2013, 12:50 PM

I too lack sympathy for their fans. Worst in the conference by far. B'bye.

I'm actually disappointed that MD chose to leave the conference eventhough I am not a big fan of many of their fans and alumni. It's a real shame that MD's administration is choosing money over rivalries and tradition. I guess they think it's more important to be richer "outsiders" in the Big than remain in the ACC. It's sad imo; and as bitter as this sounds, I hope none of the ACC schools (especially the charter members like Duke and Carolina) play MD in any sport again unless it's in a preseason or postseason tournament where they are forced to.

I hope the ACC creates a successful channel (as the reports are coming out that the ACC is seriously exploring that avenue) and continues to improve in football (imo the BIG in football has not been more impressive than the ACC within the last several years) to the point where MD financially regrets the move to the BIG.

capitolhill
01-16-2013, 12:56 PM

Good for you. I don't think Terp fans are asking for sympathy, though. Most that I know are excited about the change.

Let's see...Maryland leaves the ACC, and the ACC picks up Louisville.

At the moment, Louisville has a better basketball program than Maryland, and some tradition as well. However, Louisville is *not* a better school by a long shot.

Another way to look at it: the Big Ten could have picked up Louisville, but they didn't.

sagegrouse
01-16-2013, 01:30 PM
Living in the DC area we are, of course, surrounded by Terp fans (though here in Northern VA it is more VPI than MD or UVA fans). The DC media is chalk full of MD Journalism School grads. No shortage of positive spin for MD in the local media, unfortunately.

This is a response "in jest." "The DC media is [chock] full of MD Journalism School grads," you say.

So I went to the bios of the best-known sports columnists at the WaPo and found: Amherst (Tom Boswell), Stanford (Sally Jenkins), the "real USC" (Jason Reid), Duke (you know who, plus Barry Svrluga), Kansas (Tracee Hamilton), Fresno State (Mike Wise), and, YESSIREE!, one Maryland graduate -- the great NORMAN CHAD!

Says Norm on many occasions, "Did I get an education. No. I went to the Unviersity of Maryland. All I got were parking tickets."

sagegrouse

nyesq83
01-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Good for you. I don't think Terp fans are asking for sympathy, though. Most that I know are excited about the change.

Let's see...Maryland leaves the ACC, and the ACC picks up Louisville.

At the moment, Louisville has a better basketball program than Maryland, and some tradition as well. However, Louisville is *not* a better school by a long shot.

Another way to look at it: the Big Ten could have picked up Louisville, but they didn't.

Um, Louisville just manhandled Florida in a bowl game...and UL has a wee bit more than "some" tradition.

Louisville has been to 17 bowl games, amassing a record of 8–8–1. Louisville attended a bowl each season from 1998–2006.

The Cardinals have won two NCAA championships (1980, 1986) and been to nine Final Fours (6th all time) in 38 NCAA tournament appearances (5th all time) while compiling 64 tournament wins (6th all time).

Lauderdevil
01-16-2013, 02:30 PM
The Cardinals have won two NCAA championships (1980, 1986) and been to nine Final Fours (6th all time) in 38 NCAA tournament appearances (5th all time) while compiling 64 tournament wins (6th all time).

And of course Louisville is number one in the nation right now, a distinction that Maryland has never accomplished in its history (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323596204578243890239589854.html?K EYWORDS=louisville).

Kedsy
01-16-2013, 02:36 PM
Louisville is not reputed to be as strong an academic institution as Maryland. As sports franchises go, the ACC got a pretty decent deal trading Louisville for Maryland. However, a big part of the ACC mystique is tradition, so I'm quite sad to see Maryland go. Having said, that I haven't lost any sleep over it.

hurleyfor3
01-16-2013, 02:42 PM

In Big 10 terms, they're now somewhere around Nova Scotia. Maybe Prince Edward Island.

RC73
01-16-2013, 04:46 PM
With no offense to any Canadian, I'd suggest Newfoundland. MD is going to be the butt of many jokes in the near future.

NSDukeFan
01-16-2013, 09:31 PM
In Big 10 terms, they're now somewhere around Nova Scotia. Maybe Prince Edward Island.

That's a great place to be. (;

ForkFondler
01-16-2013, 09:37 PM
With no offense to any Canadian, I'd suggest Newfoundland. MD is going to be the butt of many jokes in the near future.

Noooooooo, Newfoundland is Rutgers.

roywhite
01-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Noooooooo, Newfoundland is Rutgers.

And, now that the Terps are leaving, who will be our new "Alaska"?

Paging Boeheim, Jim Boeheim, your barbecue is ready.

weezie
01-16-2013, 09:50 PM

Reilly, my boy, I think you mean they'll ALWAYS have Elmore.
Think the Big Twelvety will offer dear Len a contract to do color at the twerp games next year?
Could we possibly be witnessing the end of the Elmore era? :eek:

OldPhiKap
01-16-2013, 09:57 PM
Has Len opined on the move? I would be curious to know.

The good news for me is, I love the song Terrapin Station but hate the twerps. Glad it will be easier to disassociate the two again.

roywhite
01-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Reilly, my boy, I think you mean they'll ALWAYS have Elmore.
Think the Big Twelvety will offer dear Len a contract to do color at the twerp games next year?
Could we possibly be witnessing the end of the Elmore era? :eek:

Yeah, "Purdue gets all the calls" just doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?

Do those B1G teams even know what "Terping" is?

hurleyfor3
01-16-2013, 10:16 PM

They have Illinois fans, who are in the Wake Forest zone when it comes to having a far higher perception of their program's stature than its record indicates.

OldPhiKap
01-16-2013, 10:24 PM
Yeah, "Purdue gets all the calls" just doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?

Can you see someone in college park getting in Gene Keady's face back in the day?

Heh.

The good news is, whether Md is in the conference or not -- we will still get all the calls.

devildeac
01-19-2013, 05:11 PM
No surprise here. Read today in the Raleigh N&O that the Maryland AG filed a suit against the ACC yesterday claiming the $50M exit fee is unenforceable.

ricks68
01-19-2013, 06:17 PM
I guess the ACC could always put a lien on MD if the ACC wins the suit and the Terps are broke.:rolleyes:

ricks

TKG
01-19-2013, 06:26 PM
The good news for me is, I love the song Terrapin Station but hate the twerps. Glad it will be easier to disassociate the two again.

And the whistle is screaming terrapin. Think Jerry was referring to the zebras' whistle?

mgtr
01-19-2013, 06:42 PM
No surprise here. Read today in the Raleigh N&O that the Maryland AG filed a suit against the ACC yesterday claiming the $50M exit fee is unenforceable.

OH, I didn't understand the deal. I thought the ACC was paying the Twerps $50 million to leave! :rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
01-19-2013, 06:43 PM

Where is the suit pending?

I guess the ACC could always put a lien on MD if the ACC wins the suit and the Terps are broke.:rolleyes:

ricks

That may leave them with less pennies to throw at the parents of the Hoosier players.

And the whistle is screaming terrapin. Think Jerry was referring to the zebras' whistle?

Jerry makes no choice, soon you will not hear his voice. His job is to shed light, and not to master. (Boop ba boop ba boop bwa bwaaah)

devildeac
01-19-2013, 07:53 PM
Where is the suit pending?

That may leave them with less pennies to throw at the parents of the Hoosier players.

Jerry makes no choice, soon you will not hear his voice. His job is to shed light, and not to master. (Boop ba boop ba boop bwa bwaaah)

The brief paragraph did not state where the suit was filed. Sorry.

OldPhiKap
01-19-2013, 08:02 PM

Thanks, dd. If the ACC already filed suit in NC as I seem to recall, this should be part of the same suit.

Indoor66
01-19-2013, 08:02 PM

Google took me here (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-27/acc-sues-university-of-maryland-for-quitting-conference.html) for a story about the AC suing Maryland. I did not find anything about a counterclaim. It is possible that an answer filed by Md contains a counter claim. The article gives the case citation as: Atlantic Coast Conference v. University of Maryland, 12-10736, State of North Carolina, Guilford County, General Court of Justice, Superior Court Division.

Kdogg
01-19-2013, 08:42 PM
Here's a link to ESPN: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8858267/maryland-attorney-general-files-suit-acc

Doing some thing like this on a Friday afternoon before a holiday is IMHO an underhanded move.

And the kicker from the article: "The attorney general's lawsuit seeks, among other remedies, nearly $157 million in damages."

The water in the MD/DC/Northerb VA must be laced with something.

Newton_14
01-19-2013, 09:18 PM
On Friday afternoon local talk radio, it was stated that since Maryland is refusing to pay the exit fee, the ACC is already with-holding monies the Terps would have gotten otherwise such as I assume, the split from this years bowl earnings. The ACC has already withheld $3 mil+ and counting. Good for them! Terps lose that $50 mil one way or the other it seems.

devildeac
01-19-2013, 09:28 PM
Thanks, dd. If the ACC already filed suit in NC as I seem to recall, this should be part of the same suit.

I do remember that the ACC fired the first volley and it makes sense the suit was filed in NC and the terps would follow. If I see anything more in tomorrow's N&O I will update it here.

devildeac
01-19-2013, 09:31 PM
Here's a link to ESPN: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8858267/maryland-attorney-general-files-suit-acc

Doing some thing like this on a Friday afternoon before a holiday is IMHO an underhanded move.

And the kicker from the article: "The attorney general's lawsuit seeks, among other remedies, nearly $157 million in damages."

The water in the MD/DC/Northerb VA must be laced with something.

$157M? Astounding. Simply astounding.

OldPhiKap
01-19-2013, 10:18 PM
$157M? Astounding. Simply astounding.

Lawyers often follow football -- the best defense is a good offense. If they sue, counterclaim larger.

dalmatians98
01-19-2013, 11:06 PM
My understanding of the Maryland Attorney General's suit against the ACC, filed in Maryland, is that the ACC's exit fee is unenforceable; that a North Carolina court has no jurisdiction to hear a suit against Maryland; and that the attempt to enforce the ACC exit fee violates Maryland's antitrust laws and therefore Maryland is entitled to damages equal to three times the $52.3 million suit against it, or $157 million.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/maryland-attorney-general-files-suit-against-acc-over-53-million-exit-fee-in-move-to-big-10/2013/01/18/11b473b8-61be-11e2-81ef-a2249c1e5b3d_story.html