PDA

View Full Version : Upset alert: Indiana v Wisconsin

FerryFor50
01-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Indiana is down by 10 at home against Wisconsin, who have been playing really well lately.

Under 10 remaining in the 2nd half...

WiJoe
01-15-2013, 10:48 PM
Indiana is down by 10 at home against Wisconsin, who have been playing really well lately.

Under 10 remaining in the 2nd half...

geez. ya jinxed it!

-bdbd
01-15-2013, 10:57 PM
Wisconsin is up 56-53 at Indiana with 3:06 to play.

58-53, now under 2 minutes. Wisc with the ball.

sporthenry
01-15-2013, 11:00 PM
This will be pretty big. Granted Indiana has more chances to get good wins and Duke without Kelly might struggle but it seems a #1 seed will be pretty open.

FerryFor50
01-15-2013, 11:00 PM
Wisconsin up by 6 with 53 seconds and the back end of a 1 and 1 left. Playing great defense...

El_Diablo
01-15-2013, 11:01 PM
Zeller FGA: 8-8 in the first half, 0-6 in the second half. Wow.

EDIT: I'm one step ahead of you, ESPN!

FerryFor50
01-15-2013, 11:02 PM
Zeller FGA: 8-8 in the first half, 0-6 in the second half. Wow.

I feel like he was so much better last year.... seems like he regressed.

FerryFor50
01-15-2013, 11:05 PM
How apropos is the name "Bruesewitz" (pronounced bruise-o-witz) for a tough Wisconsin team?

FerryFor50
01-15-2013, 11:09 PM
Wisconsin wins by 5. Poetic justice, since I don't think Indiana should have catapulted over Duke in the rankings anyway. :)

throatybeard
01-15-2013, 11:09 PM
64-59, UW. In Bloomington no less.

-bdbd
01-15-2013, 11:11 PM
And just like that, Duke is #2 again. Now, if we could only beat that #1 Louisville team.... Oh, wait.... :rolleyes:

FerryFor50
01-15-2013, 11:13 PM
And just like that, Duke is #2 again. Now, if we could only beat that #1 Louisville team.... Oh, wait.... :rolleyes:

What's funny is, you hear "oh Duke beat Louisville without Deng" (whose importance is a bit overrated IMO). Then you hear the same people say "Duke's loss to State without Ryan Kelly still counts the same."

Ah well. All that counts is where they finish.

licc85
01-15-2013, 11:18 PM
Man, what's going on with Indiana? Hard to explain that kind of loss on your home floor, even against a good Wisconsin squad, when you were supposed to be THE dominant team in the country coming into the season. Seems like the Hoosiers have a lot of trouble scoring against teams with good, defensive minded head coaches. Time to start the overrated chants?

CDu
01-15-2013, 11:31 PM
What's funny is, you hear "oh Duke beat Louisville without Deng" (whose importance is a bit overrated IMO). Then you hear the same people say "Duke's loss to State without Ryan Kelly still counts the same."

To be fair, some folks on this board are doing the exact opposite (wanting to count the Louisville win and discount the State loss), which is just as silly.

Jderf
01-15-2013, 11:45 PM

To be fair, some folks on this board are doing the exact opposite (wanting to count the Louisville win and discount the State loss), which is just as silly.

Good ol' fashioned confirmation bias. A consistent inconsistency if ever there was one.

licc85
01-16-2013, 12:58 AM

In 4 Big East games thus far, Dieng has averaged an impressive 11.3 points, 14.3 rebounds, and 2.5 blocks. I think it's fair to say that had they been at full strength when we played them, they would have been a different team with Dieng in the mix. Louisville deserves to be #1 right now in my opinion. They are the best defensive team in the country, their 1 loss was a better loss than ours, and we are clearly not as good without Ryan Kelly.

roywhite
01-16-2013, 07:14 AM
11 straight wins for Wisconsin in games vs Indiana; 5 straight at Bloomington.

Bo Ryan > Tom Crean

miramar
01-16-2013, 09:44 AM
"Kentucky avoids back-to-back SEC losses"

I guess that means that it's news when Kentucky wins.

CDu
01-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Man, what's going on with Indiana? Hard to explain that kind of loss on your home floor, even against a good Wisconsin squad, when you were supposed to be THE dominant team in the country coming into the season. Seems like the Hoosiers have a lot of trouble scoring against teams with good, defensive minded head coaches. Time to start the overrated chants?

As you mentioned, Wisconsin is a pretty good team. They're #12 in Pomeroy. They don't play a pretty style, but they can be very difficult defensively. That's a much better loss than, say, losing to Miami at home (like we did last year).

Even the best teams don't win every time out. Indiana is a very good team, but I don't think folks were saying they were THE dominant team. They just happened to be the team most thought was the best. But nobody was predicting they'd go undefeated or anything.

Every team is capable of losing to good opponents in this era of college basketball. We are very unlikely to see a true juggernaut like we used to see in the old days. It's just too hard with the constant turnover of talent.

FerryFor50
01-16-2013, 09:56 AM
In 4 Big East games thus far, Dieng has averaged an impressive 11.3 points, 14.3 rebounds, and 2.5 blocks. I think it's fair to say that had they been at full strength when we played them, they would have been a different team with Dieng in the mix. Louisville deserves to be #1 right now in my opinion. They are the best defensive team in the country, their 1 loss was a better loss than ours, and we are clearly not as good without Ryan Kelly.

They would have been different, for sure. But they also haven't lost a game without Deng in the lineup. And against Kentucky, with an actual front line (unlike the Big East teams L'ville has played), Deng went for 6 pts, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks and 4 fouls, which is what I'd have expected against Plumlee.

rsvman
01-16-2013, 11:58 AM
...... But they also haven't lost a game without Deng in the lineup. .....

Not sure if this is just a typo or something, but clearly they did lose a game without Dieng in the lineup.....they lost to Duke! Remember?

If you meant to say that they haven't lost a game with Dieng in the lineup, that's certainly true. But by the same token, we haven't lost a game with Ryan Kelly in the lineup.

johnb
01-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Not sure if this is just a typo or something, but clearly they did lose a game without Dieng in the lineup.....they lost to Duke! Remember?

If you meant to say that they haven't lost a game with Dieng in the lineup, that's certainly true. But by the same token, we haven't lost a game with Ryan Kelly in the lineup.

True, but their guy is back and our guy is out. If the poll is intended to measure how good a team is <<right now>>, then they probably get the nod. Just read a bit about Dieng, by the way, and he sounds like a terrific guy

FerryFor50
01-16-2013, 12:58 PM

I meant "since the Duke game." I thought that was implied, but I guess not. :)

CDu
01-16-2013, 03:03 PM
They would have been different, for sure. But they also haven't lost a game without Deng in the lineup. And against Kentucky, with an actual front line (unlike the Big East teams L'ville has played), Deng went for 6 pts, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks and 4 fouls, which is what I'd have expected against Plumlee.

They also didn't play an opponent remotely close to as good as Duke without Dieng. So I wouldn't exactly use that as a definitive argument. And the game against us was the first game that Dieng was out, which exacerbated what was already a difficult situation.

I also wouldn't tout Dieng's struggles against Kentucky as evidence that he's not that important, either. That was Dieng's first game back, and he played only 20 minutes off the bench. Putting up 6 points, 7 rebounds, and 2 blocks in 20 minutes (even though he had 4 fouls) in your first game back, playing against a big front line, is pretty impressive.

I think it's silly to suggest that we should discount the absence of Dieng as a factor in our win over Louisville. Dieng is the centerpiece of their defense, a big-time shotchanger and rebounder. He is very important to the Cardinals. And having to play without him, with literally no prep-time (he was hurt the day before we played them), certainly changed the tenor of that game.