PDA

View Full Version : Chris Collins mentioned for USC job

SoCalDukeFan
01-15-2013, 07:36 PM
I posted a link to an article listing possible head coaches at USC. Chris Collins' name is on the list.

Chris has been at Duke for 13 years, it says. I assume he makes a comfortable salary. I would guess that he wants to become a head coach.
At what point do you stay too long as an assistant?

Obviously when the season ends there will be many more vacancies and his name should be mentioned many more times.

Same probably applies to Wojo. I would also think that at some point Jeff Capel will resurface as a head coach.

Lastly, I am positive these are GREAT assistants for Coach K and Duke.

SoCal

cptnflash
01-15-2013, 07:43 PM
I posted a link to an article listing possible head coaches at USC. Chris Collins' name is on the list.

Chris has been at Duke for 13 years, it says. I assume he makes a comfortable salary. I would guess that he wants to become a head coach.

When you're an assistant to one of the greatest coaches of all time, I think the point at which you've remained an assistant for too long is when you're still an assistant after he retires.

Tappan Zee Devil
01-15-2013, 08:35 PM
When you're an assistant to one of the greatest coaches of all time, I think the point at which you've remained an assistant for too long is when you're still an assistant after he retires.

No, it is when you are there for so long that people stop considering you as a viable head coach candidate.

burnspbesq
01-15-2013, 08:43 PM
USC shouldn't be a bad job. The school is smack in the middle of one of the deepest HS talent pools in the country. You can sell decent academics and a huge and influential alumni network that takes care of its own ("Trojan Family" sounds like an empty cliche, but it really isn't). You've got an awesome facility (If Cameron ever burns down or collapses, Duke should just borrow the architectural drawings and engineering specs for the Galen Center).

All that said, it historically has been a job that eats coaches and spits them out like a wood-chipper.

Caveat emptor.

Kedsy
01-15-2013, 10:34 PM

Chris will be a head coach, and in the not too distant future, but I believe he's pretty picky about what jobs he'd accept. I doubt he'd seriously consider leaving Duke mid-season.

WiJoe
01-15-2013, 10:36 PM
posted it where?

better chance of YOU taking the job than Chris. Nonsense. Don't know where you saw it, but Mark Whicker, the Orange County Register columnist, is, I believe, a kerlina "grad".

Obviously when the season ends there will be many more vacancies and his name should be mentioned many more times.

Same probably applies to Wojo. I would also think that at some point Jeff Capel will resurface as a head coach.

SoCal

roywhite
01-15-2013, 10:41 PM

SoCal

Just my opinion, but I think Coach K has reached the point with Wojo and Collins where he is not going to actively "kick them out of the nest". He's got great assistants, they've been through all sorts of things with him including international competition, his own career may not go all that much longer, and he wants to have the best staff that he can to finish up his tenure.

For future development and consideration for the Duke HC job, Wojo and Collins IMO need to have good head coaching experience elsewhere. But they too have a comfort level with their current positions.

Who knows? maybe both Wojo and Collins will go elsewhere within the next year or two. But no sure thing IMO.

-jk
01-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Regardless of USC's merits (or lack thereof), would Chris want to go head-to-head with Johnny two or three times a year? They spent six or seven years together under K as coaches, and I think Johnny might even have been an asst for a year when Chris played (but that's a fuzzy memory).

-jk

Kedsy
01-15-2013, 10:48 PM
Regardless of USC's merits (or lack thereof), would Chris want to go head-to-head with Johnny two or three times a year? They spent six or seven years together under K as coaches, and I think Johnny might even have been an asst for a year when Chris played (but that's a fuzzy memory).

-jk

I don't think that would necessarily stop Chris from taking a job he wanted. I'm just not sure USC is that job.

-bdbd
01-15-2013, 10:49 PM
I recall many years ago that another Duke assistant was reportedly offered the HC position at USC and he turned it down. It was never acknowledged in public, but I think it was Amaker (could have been Dawkins). And the rumored explanation for him turning it down was that USC had tried to low-ball him on the money (and they had a history of doing that to new HC's there). Given that these guys are among the highest paid in the Assistant Coaching ranks, no doubt making more $$$ than many HC's, I really believe that it'd need to be the "right" opportunity to lure any of them away from Durham. It is a shame b/c, strictly from a selfish perspective, if one of them might be Duke's next HC, then I'd prefer that he enter the job having been "the man" at least once somewhere else before taking on that responsibility here.
:)

sagegrouse
01-15-2013, 10:56 PM

-jk

I am confused by some of the posts above. My first point, or principle, is that "basketball is a business." Head coaches make more than assistants and also have the "psychic income" of running the program. I am willing to assume that Chris and Wojo are paid more than most mid-major head coaches. But if they get offers to run a major program with a reasonable chance to succeed or a mid-major program with a big-time record (Butler or Gonzaga), I believe they will leave. And in the process of leaving, negotiate a salary that is far better than what they are making at Duke (that's called "leverage").

K's wishes don't matter much; but in fact, he will support whatever they decide; moreover, they have been at Duke so long there is a shelf-life issue IMHO (where the H is silent). Anyway, see the first point.

Are there programs in the BCS conferences (a useful anachronism) that they would turn down. Hmmm.... Probably a few, but I am reluctant to name the schools -- because it has as much to do with the AD and President as with the recent W's and L's of the program. And I don't pretend to know which AD's would be awful bosses.

Not does it matter whether they will compete against Dawkins or other member so the Duke family. See the first point.

sagegrouse

tommy
01-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Here are some of the names I've seen mentioned: Dave Rice of UNLV, Steve Fisher of San Diego State, Randy Bennett of St. Mary's, Dan Monson of Long Beach St., Steve Alford of New Mexico.

Here are a couple of other intriguing names though:

ex-Lakers coach Mike Brown. Loves living in LA, obviously the NBA pedigree including coaching LeBron, would probably do pretty well in the living room.

Mark Gottfried. He's already proven that he can recruit. Sheesh, look at what he's doing at State. The former UCLA assistant is thought to be enthusiastic about returning to LA.

I know this is a sidebar to this thread, but I definitely think the firing of O'Neill was a shot across the bow by Pat Haden, aimed between Lane Kiffin's eyes. Message: win and win big, and do it within the rules; don't embarrass the university, or I WILL make a change, and I am not afraid to do it in the middle of a season if I need to. Watch yourself, young buck.

hurleyfor3
01-16-2013, 06:35 PM
Here are some of the names I've seen mentioned: Dave Rice of UNLV, Steve Fisher of San Diego State, Randy Bennett of St. Mary's, Dan Monson of Long Beach St., Steve Alford of New Mexico.

Steve Fisher wouldn't be a long-term solution for anyone, and is probably the opposite of the image usc's athletic department wants to cultivate right now.

The other guys I could see, especially Alford if UNM finishes strongly.