PDA

View Full Version : Terrible News about ESPN's Stuart Scott

tommy
01-14-2013, 11:19 PM
Bad news: Stuart Scott's cancer has returned. I'm not a big fan of his UNC-centric shtick, but he is entertaining and can be funny. But regardless, he's a man, and a sports fan, and part of the rivalry, so it saddens me to read the news. Here's hoping he opens up a can of whoop-arse on the cancer. Again. Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/the-turnstile/espn-stuart-scott-announces-cancer-returned-030452684.html) to the story.

Edouble
01-14-2013, 11:55 PM
Here's hoping he beats his cancer, but is forced to be an inpatient at Duke Hospital.

BlueDevilinNYC
01-15-2013, 09:21 AM
For anybody who uses Twitter (as I'm sure most of you on here do) Stu Scott's handle (@StuartScott) is definitely worth a follow. Had some friendly banter with him before last year's UNC game in Carolina and before Coach K's 903 W. He's a great guy with a big heart and this really is sad news.

Billy Dat
01-15-2013, 09:39 AM
When it keeps coming back in new places, odds against beating it are very long. I hope he's the exception.

rsvman
01-15-2013, 11:21 AM
Terrible news. I know he's a UNC homer, but that seems to be his main flaw.

From the sounds of it, he takes a very positive attitude about the situation, which is to be admired. I feel sure that if I were in his shoes I would not be able to muster the strength to remain upbeat.

I hope he beats it again.

oldnavy
01-15-2013, 06:00 PM
Terrible news. I know he's a UNC homer, but that seems to be his main flaw.

From the sounds of it, he takes a very positive attitude about the situation, which is to be admired. I feel sure that if I were in his shoes I would not be able to muster the strength to remain upbeat.

I hope he beats it again.

I will say a prayer for him not only for his recovery but for his family and comfort for them as well....

Starter
01-15-2013, 06:02 PM
I met Stuart Scott once, at one of the NBA Drafts I went to, and he was a really great dude. Like a previous poster, we joked around about the Duke-UNC thing, and he even said to call him at his office. (I was looking for work in sports at the time.) Add me to the list that hopes he gets better soon.

chrishoke
01-15-2013, 06:37 PM
Add me to the list. Cancer sux. Rivalries be damned.

Edouble
01-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Add me to the list. Cancer sux. Rivalries be damned.

Cancer is everyone's rival.

throatybeard
01-15-2013, 07:28 PM
Poor guy.

I haven't heard much about cancer of the appendix. Is that rarer?

cptnflash
01-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Oh man, this is such a bummer, Stuart Scott is one of the best at ESPN. Has to be one of the top 5 SportsCenter anchors of all time, a true master at his craft. His professionalism in the wake of last year's heartbreaking (for UNC) loss to Duke was unbelievable, he literally had to go on national TV about 1 minute after Rivers hit the shot to win the game. Didn't crack or betray his emotions until the very end of the show an hour later, and even then he did it in a humerous way. Plus, he has one of the best catch phrases ever too - "Cooler than the other side of the pillow!"

Keep fighting Stu, we're all pulling for you!

DukieInKansas
01-15-2013, 08:57 PM
I hate to hear this. Keep on fighting the good fight, Stuart. You have lots of people pulling for you.

Cameron
01-15-2013, 11:50 PM
Plus, he has one of the best catch phrases ever too - "Cooler than the other side of the pillow!"

He really invented that saying? That is cool.

gumbomoop
01-16-2013, 12:49 AM
Poor guy.

I haven't heard much about cancer of the appendix. Is that rarer?

It is rare, but not unknown. Scott's prognosis would originally have depended on the specific variety of the carcinoid as well as its location in the appendix (tip, middle, base).

I join others in hoping Stuart successfully fights this disease.

moonpie23
01-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Just heard him on Mike and Mike......he obliterated the line between sports and life when talking about Lance Armstrongs situation and his contributions to cancer support.

I just took a knife and cut Stuart Scott a MASSIVE piece of slack for all his unc homerism........

gumbomoop
03-11-2014, 02:36 PM
Update on Stuart Scott -

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/12/sports/espn-anchors-private-battle-with-cancer-becomes-a-public-one.html?hpw&rref=sports

Atlanta Duke
03-11-2014, 03:47 PM
Between this and last week's story on Coach Smith rough news for the extended Tar Heel family

Hope for the best for Stuart Scott and his family - cancer is relentless

Great Arthur Ashe quote in the linked NYT story - “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.”

DavidBenAkiva
03-11-2014, 10:03 PM
Update on Stuart Scott -

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/12/sports/espn-anchors-private-battle-with-cancer-becomes-a-public-one.html?hpw&rref=sports

That picture of Stuart Scott in the NYT article - dude is a badass. Beat cancer for Jimmy V, Gloria Borges, my grandmother, and everyone else this terrible disease has taken.

jv001
03-12-2014, 06:54 AM
Beat Cancer and Go Stuart Scott.....GoDuke!!!!!