PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't DBP post highlight videos after a loss?

UrinalCake
01-14-2013, 09:50 PM
Let me first say that I am a HUGE fan of Duke Blue Planet. If you are a Duke fan and haven't subscribed to their YouTube channel, you need to do so immediately and then slap yourself for not having done it already. Their game highlight videos are so well-done and the player interviews give us a real insight into their personalities. I watch all of their videos, and having Duke at the forefront of the digital media revolution is one more reason why it's great to be a fan.

So my question is, why don't they post highlight videos after a loss? I get that no one likes to lose, but it seems to promote bandwagonning to say that we only want to watch our team when we win. And you can learn just as much after a loss as after a win, arguably more so. Coach K himself has said that losses are the best opportunities for growth. Maybe they don't do player interviews after a loss, that's fine, but at least show us the highlights!

rthomas
01-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Agreed. I have wondered the exact same thing.

Dev11
01-14-2013, 10:32 PM
I bet if you emailed them they have a suitable answer. I believe the site's proprietor is Dave Bradley.

cptnflash
01-14-2013, 11:15 PM
+1000% to this question. Even GoDuke.com posts the highlights of our losses. I too am a HUGE fan of DBP - bringing up the 2010 archive videos makes me cry every time. But I don't get the homerism either. Losses are part of college basketball - they are measuring sticks and learning opportunities. I would love to hear more from our players after a loss, to better understand what they think prevented us from winning and how they plan to get better going forward. Make no mistake, DBP is an awesome product which brings all of us closer to the team we love so much - let's make it even better by providing the same amount of recap and player access regardless of the outcome.

IBleedBlue
01-15-2013, 12:36 AM
I believe two of the main reasons are:
1. Duke Basketball uses this site to portray itself as a media savvy group which is up to speed on new social media (youtube, twitter, facebook etc). So, they want to give the best image possible.
2. They use the content in it to show to the new recruits and in turn let new recruits browse through the current and past videos. So, they don't want videos of lost games.

JNort
01-15-2013, 08:28 AM
1. Duke Basketball uses this site to portray itself as a media savvy group which is up to speed on new social media (youtube, twitter, facebook etc). So, they want to give the best image possible.
2. They use the content in it to show to the new recruits and in turn let new recruits browse through the current and past videos. So, they don't want videos of lost games.

Very well thought out response and not one that I though of. However they could turn a lost game into good content for recruits to see.

1. Show the guys hustling out there and never giving up
2. Interview the players and ask them what they could do to improve or ask what they learned
3. Interview the coaches on how they plan to use the loss a a learning point

Lord Ash
01-15-2013, 09:43 AM
Just a guess, but... lots of people don't want to rehash a loss. We might have good plays, but they are still lost games:( I know I, for one, wouldn't want to watch highlights of a game we lost:( Also I would guess that players are less eager to talk after a loss, although that is just a guess.

fitimi1
01-15-2013, 10:10 AM
I, too, like the new site.

I subscribed to the print publication over a year ago for 2 years. Have not lately received one. Have emailed Dave Bradley and Laura Ann Howard several times and left messages on voice mail about renewing the subscription.

Is it still being published?

timmy c
01-15-2013, 10:13 AM

The Blueprint series is particularly interesting. Last month DBP produced a video that featured highlights from some of the most versatile former players – Hill, Deng, Battier, Dunleavy, and Singler. The timing was significant because the incredibly versatile recruit, Jabari Parker, set to announce later in the week.

The video ( http://youtu.be/0s8-ry5W-MI) ends with Jeff Capel looking into the camera and saying this,
“We love versatile players here at Duke University. We’ve shown throughout history that we can be the most creative with guys that are versatile; to allow them, not only play to their strengths, but to grow. To grow as players and show all they can do on the floor”.
Yeah!

1 24 90
01-15-2013, 10:15 AM

I subscribed to the print publication over a year ago for 2 years. Have not lately received one. Have emailed Dave Bradley and Laura Ann Howard several times and left messages on voice mail about renewing the subscription.

I emailed Dave too and haven't heard back. The last one I received is with Austin's shot on the cover from last season. I guess the print magazine is going the way of the dinosaur. Bummer. I like to have something to refer back to. I didn't buy the Duke preview because it was only available online. I definitely would have bought a printed version. Oh well.

GLTBD
01-15-2013, 11:16 AM

If you find out the answer please post. I too subscribed to the print publication and loved it. My husband has written several articles for the publication (none recently). We see David Bradley in passing at games and functions, but he is so busy I hate to bother him or it slips my mind.

1 24 90
01-15-2013, 01:20 PM
I just received this response from Dave Bradley in reference to the print edition of Duke Blue Planet:

Thanks for the email. Unfortunately, we are no longer offering subscriptions to the magazine. Due to printing costs, the evolution towards up-to-the-minute digital news/videos and the size of our staff, we're no longer able to offer a print subscription service. We will still produce the magazine 3x/year for former players/family and each issue will be longer than in the past (more of a preview/review format). Current subscribers will continue to receive the magazine until their subscription runs out (eight consecutive issues per subscription). Thanks for your interest and if you have any questions let me know. The next issue is at the printer now.

juise
02-07-2013, 12:35 PM
Not exactly highlight videos, but the team discusses bouncing back from losses (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4JsFRHw6zEo#!) and the support they get from former players. Good compromise, I think, between keeping a positive light on the program while shaping a more complete narrative of the season.