PDA

View Full Version : Just to twist the knife on UNC's season so far

FerryFor50
01-14-2013, 02:58 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130114/ucla-travis-wear/?sct=hp_wr_a4&eref=sihp

My favorite excerpt:

Yes, this is the same Travis Wear who was mostly stapled to the bench in Chapel Hill (along with twin brother, David, also now on this UCLA team) in 2009-10 as North Carolina went to the NIT riding Tyler Zeller, Ed Davis and Deon Thompson in the frontcourt. In related news, this season's Tar Heels are dying for competent frontcourt scoring.

rsvman
01-14-2013, 03:25 PM
Tasty, to be sure, but.....

Don't know if you noticed, but UNC beat Florida State AT Fla St on Saturday, a feat that has been devilishly difficult for our own team over the past few years, as you probably recall.

Reports of the demise of the UNC basketball program may be slightly premature and a little exaggerated.

Duvall
01-14-2013, 03:31 PM

Don't know if you noticed, but UNC beat Florida State AT Fla St on Saturday, a feat that has been devilishly difficult for our own team over the past few years, as you probably recall.

And yet that same feat was eminently manageable this year for powerhouse programs like Mercer (167 in Kenpom) and South Alabama (195 in Kenpom). The 2013 edition of FSU should not be mistaken for worldbeaters.

Reports of the demise of the UNC basketball program may be slightly premature and a little exaggerated.

Well sure - it's January.

FerryFor50
01-14-2013, 03:32 PM

Hey, I take good news when I can get it.

:)

rsvman
01-14-2013, 03:36 PM
And yet that same feat was eminently manageable this year for powerhouse programs like Mercer (167 in Kenpom) and South Alabama (195 in Kenpom). The 2013 edition of FSU should not be mistaken for worldbeaters.

Point well taken.

Still, I'd wager that a lot of people on this board fully expected a TarHeel loss in that game.

oldnavy
01-14-2013, 04:01 PM
Well I watched the game and was underwhelmed by both FSU and UNC. I am not saying UNCs season is anywhere near over, but if they couldn't have beaten the FSU team that played Saturday, then they would be in a major world of hurt. This is not the same FSU team of the past couple of years.

Olympic Fan
01-14-2013, 04:20 PM
Yes, this is the same Travis Wear who was mostly stapled to the bench in Chapel Hill (along with twin brother, David, also now on this UCLA team) in 2009-10 as North Carolina went to the NIT riding Tyler Zeller, Ed Davis and Deon Thompson in the frontcourt. In related news, this season's Tar Heels are dying for competent frontcourt scoring

Look, I'm as happy to bash Ol'Roy as anybody else, but Andy Glockner's comment about the Wears and their time at UNC is pure balderdash (I'd use a stronger word, but the DBR filter would call the w-word).

How many ways is it wrong?

Well, let's start with what's right -- Dean Thompson was UNC's key frontcourt starter in 2010.

Maybe that's because he was the only one who was healthy for all 37 games.

Ed Davis did start the first 23 games -- but then he was hurt and missed the last two months of the season. Even if he wasn't, is Glockner suggesting that a freshman Wear should have started ahead of Davis, who was only a first-round NBA draft pick that spring?

Then there is Zeller, who was hurt in preseason and barely able to play all year. BOTH Wears started more games than Zeller (who actually never started). Injuries aside, Zeller also became a first-round draft pick (which I suspect Travis Wear never will be).

On top of that, both Wear brothers were injured over the course of the season. Travis missed most of February and was hobbled all of March with an ankle injury. David had a torn labrum in his hip and missed almost all of the second half of the season.

UNC had a lot of problems in 2010 -- one of them being Roy's instance in play freshman John Henson out of position at small forward for much of the year; another was the incompetent playmaking of Larry Drew (now starting at UCLA) -- but sitting the crippled wear brothers behind first-round picks Ed Davis and Tyler Zeller wasn't one of them.

The dig might have a point if Roy had run the Wears off after their injury-plagued freshman seasons, but he didn't -- he was devastated and angry when the left (without giving him a hint that they were unhappy). I'm sure Roy would have loved to have them this season. But can you blame him that he doesn't have them?

The Wear brothers were a very minor part of UNC's 2010 meltdown ... playing them more -- even before their injuries couldn't mave helped. Look at it this way -- both Wear brothers started and played major minutes for UCLA last season. How did that work out? Seems like UCLA finished 19-14 and didn't even qualify for the NIT.

If Glockner wanted to do a story about how well Travis Wear is (finally!) playing in his fourth collegiate season, that's fine. But it's pretty idiotic to resort to some revisionist history to try and create a story that wasn't there.

MartyClark
01-14-2013, 04:27 PM
I was at the Colorado-UCLA game on Saturday. Travis Wear had a career high 23 points against the Buffs. He's not an All American but he's pretty good. He hit a lot of shots with a good Colorado freshman guarding him well.

Changing subjects, Tony Parker got a few minutes. I can see that he has some potential but he is a bit slow and also struggled to contain his emotions when he disagreed with the call. He ended up getting a flagrant foul and, it looked like, an earful from Howland. Muhammed is a stud.

oldnavy
01-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Yes, this is the same Travis Wear who was mostly stapled to the bench in Chapel Hill (along with twin brother, David, also now on this UCLA team) in 2009-10 as North Carolina went to the NIT riding Tyler Zeller, Ed Davis and Deon Thompson in the frontcourt. In related news, this season's Tar Heels are dying for competent frontcourt scoring

Look, I'm as happy to bash Ol'Roy as anybody else, but Andy Glockner's comment about the Wears and their time at UNC is pure balderdash (I'd use a stronger word, but the DBR filter would call the w-word).

Well, let's start with what's right -- Dean Thompson was UNC's key frontcourt starter in 2010.

Ed Davis did start the first 23 games -- but then he was hurt and missed the last two months of the season. Even if he wasn't, is Glockner suggesting that a freshman Wear should have started ahead of Davis, who was only a first-round NBA draft pick that spring?

Then there is Zeller, who was hurt in preseason and barely able to play all year. BOTH Wears started more games than Zeller (who actually never started). Injuries aside, Zeller also became a first-round draft pick (which I suspect Travis Wear never will be).

On top of that, both Wear brothers were injured over the course of the season. Travis missed most of February and was hobbled all of March with an ankle injury. David had a torn labrum in his hip and missed almost all of the second half of the season.

UNC had a lot of problems in 2010 -- one of them being Roy's instance in play freshman John Henson out of position at small forward for much of the year; another was the incompetent playmaking of Larry Drew (now starting at UCLA) -- but sitting the crippled wear brothers behind first-round picks Ed Davis and Tyler Zeller wasn't one of them.

The dig might have a point if Roy had run the Wears off after their injury-plagued freshman seasons, but he didn't -- he was devastated and angry when the left (without giving him a hint that they were unhappy). I'm sure Roy would have loved to have them this season. But can you blame him that he doesn't have them?

The Wear brothers were a very minor part of UNC's 2010 meltdown ... playing them more -- even before their injuries couldn't mave helped. Look at it this way -- both Wear brothers started and played major minutes for UCLA last season. How did that work out? Seems like UCLA finished 19-14 and didn't even qualify for the NIT.

If Glockner wanted to do a story about how well Travis Wear is (finally!) playing in his fourth collegiate season, that's fine. But it's pretty idiotic to resort to some revisionist history to try and create a story that wasn't there.

Great points all around... but I don't know about you but I am starting to feel weird defending Ol Roy... I think I will just stop and let the hounds have him!

wilko
01-14-2013, 05:13 PM
Point well taken.

Still, I'd wager that a lot of people on this board fully expected a TarHeel loss in that game.

I want UNC to lose EVERY game..

TruBlu
01-14-2013, 05:29 PM
UNC not even in "others receiving votes" this week. Probably a week or two late, but it is really good to see them finally getting their proper recognition.

weezie
01-14-2013, 05:45 PM
...I don't know about you but I am starting to feel weird defending Ol Roy... I think I will just stop and let the hounds have him!

But as the front page said, he did manage to finish second at the NIT! We can at least stand up for him in that regard.

El_Diablo
01-14-2013, 05:47 PM

Exactly. They were not "stapled to the bench" by any means. Both Wears played over 10 minutes per game as freshmen, which if anything was too much, considering the front-court depth on that team (three future NBA first-rounders, plus Thompson).

Furthermore, by saying "none of this makes total sense" (that the Wears didn't get much playing time as UNC freshmen but are starting to flourish now at UCLA), Glockner also appears to overlook the simple fact that college players tend to get better over time. The Wears are redshirt juniors now, not the freshmen who were still adjusting to the college game in 2009-2010. It would only fail to make sense if they were playing less at UCLA, or playing worse.

brevity
01-14-2013, 05:52 PM
But it's pretty idiotic to resort to some revisionist history to try and create a story that wasn't there.

Sportswriters have fed their families in recent years by twisting history to reflect an anti-Duke sentiment. I see nothing wrong with them doing the same to Carolina, and do not share your desire to correct them.

It has long been my belief that everyone is free to hate Duke, provided that they hate Carolina as well. It disturbs me to no end that Carolina has approximately the same success (sometimes more, sometimes less) but is far less resented. As the Michael Jordan goodwill subsides a little more each year, making him less of a vital legend and more of "that old basketball guy that played crappy golf and baseball, lost a ton of money gambling, gained some weight, and is the sucky owner of the Bobcats."

A plague on both our houses! Sports fans, let the hate flow through you. Duke's fans can grow a thick skin. Will Carolina's?

CDu
01-14-2013, 06:22 PM

FSU this year is not the FSU of past years. They are pretty bad. While it is nice (for UNC) that UNC won that game, I'd hardly call it evidence that UNC is worth anything this year.

AncientPsychicT
01-15-2013, 12:58 AM
FSU this year is not the FSU of past years. They are pretty bad.

Just take a look at some of their awful home losses this year. I mean, Mercer, South Alabama, unc? Ew. :p :cool:

moonpie23
01-15-2013, 10:36 AM
Wow.......brilliant letter to the editor of the Daily Tar Hole.

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2013/01/maybe-its-time-for-roy-to-retire

calling for Roy to be on his way and "hire someone like John Calipari who knows how to win"

BD80
01-15-2013, 11:57 AM
Wow.......brilliant letter to the editor of the Daily Tar Heel.

calling for Roy to be on his way and "hire someone like John Calipari who knows how to win"

The money shot:

"I have always thought Calipari was of questionable ethics and would never fit UNC, but since the Dick Baddour era, we are forever tarnished and that no longer matters. "

You have to commend the logic. This guy may actually have gone to classes at unc

DukeWarhead
01-15-2013, 12:31 PM
I want UNC to lose EVERY game..

Word!

FerryFor50
01-15-2013, 01:21 PM
The money shot:

"I have always thought Calipari was of questionable ethics and would never fit UNC, but since the Dick Baddour era, we are forever tarnished and that no longer matters. "

You have to commend the logic. This guy may actually have gone to classes at unc

"We got caught? Shoot. Might as well go whole hog now!"

sagegrouse
01-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Wow.......brilliant letter to the editor of the Daily Tar Heel.

It is nothing more than the lunatic ravings of the most entitled fan on the face of the earth. In ten years, Roy has two national championships, three FF's, and six elite Eights (counting all above). I believe that is way ahead of Coach Calipari, and Roy is even ahead of K in NCAA tournament results in this period. UNC still trails Duke in winning percentage (83.0 vs. 78.6%) and ACC winning percentage (75.5 vs. 72.1%). And Duke leads 5-2 in ACC championships.

The Front Page has this one right.

sagegrouse

miramar
01-15-2013, 02:28 PM
Carolina fans should remember that they sent four players to the nba last year and that this kind of turnover will produce a big letdown at any school except Kentucky.

It's also not the coach's fault that McAdoo isn't all world as expected, unless you believe that UNC can't develop big men either.

I'm not convinced that Roy can be successful unless he has overwhelming talent or that he can adapt the system to the players, but a little perspective would be in order.

I still remember a few short years ago when a college basketball preseason magazine had a drawing of Roy knocking out Coach K, Ali style, and the comment from a so-called expert that Duke would never recover while Coach K was running the program. I didn't believe that either and I guess I was right to be skeptical since Duke won it all soon after. Unfortunately I also believe that Carolina will be back soon enough.

rsvman
01-15-2013, 02:32 PM
I still remember a few short years ago when a college basketball preseason magazine had a drawing of Roy knocking out Coach K, Ali style, and the comment from a so-called expert that Duke would never recover while Coach K was running the program. I didn't believe that either and I guess I was right to be skeptical since Duke won it all soon after. Unfortunately I also believe that Carolina will be back TOO SOON.

Fixed it for you.

oldnavy
01-15-2013, 05:28 PM
It is nothing more than the lunatic ravings of the most entitled fan on the face of the earth. In ten years, Roy has two national championships, three FF's, and six elite Eights (counting all above). I believe that is way ahead of Coach Calipari, and Roy is even ahead of K in NCAA tournament results in this period. UNC still trails Duke in winning percentage (83.0 vs. 78.6%) and ACC winning percentage (75.5 vs. 72.1%). And Duke leads 5-2 in ACC championships.

The Front Page has this one right.

sagegrouse

Why do you think that the DTH would publish this trash? I think I may write one of my rants on Ol Roy and see if I can get it published just for fun!!

I mean, letters to the editor are simply opinions, but geezz! If this guy had tried to post this here he would have received a nice little note from the mods and a penalty!

Chapel Hill is one very strange place.....

Lunchab1es
01-15-2013, 06:31 PM
Carolina fans should remember that they sent four players to the nba last year and that this kind of turnover will produce a big letdown at any school except Kentucky.

I wouldn't be so sure on that... they are a bubble team this year with no real quality wins (Maryland, their first game, being their most marquee victory to date). :D

throatybeard
01-15-2013, 07:39 PM
FSU this year is not the FSU of past years. They are pretty bad. While it is nice (for UNC) that UNC won that game, I'd hardly call it evidence that UNC is worth anything this year.

I'll console myself with this when Snaer somehow goes off for 38 pts on Groundhog Day and we lose by a possession or two.