PDA

View Full Version : Lousy Fan Front Page Article

oldnavy
01-14-2013, 12:21 PM
I am a long way from being a Ol Roy apologist, but the letter to the editor of TDTH is silly. I am surprise they even published it.

How can you deride your institution regarding ethics and in the same paragraph ask for Calipari to become the coach because you no longer care about ethics?

I really can't see the benefit of TDTH publishing this, makes me shake my head. Is there no standard for letters to the editor?

This board has higher requirements for getting posts on a thread.

I am sure this guy must be an outlyer, but no wonder Ol Roy hates doing his radio show and speaking to his fans!!

Lord Ash
01-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Yeah, that almost feels like a fake... a Carolina fan wanting Cal right after complaining about ethics?

And yeah... hate defending Roy, but that is some resume. Thought there was another NIT in there, but...

Kedsy
01-14-2013, 12:54 PM
I am sure this guy must be an outlyer...

I don't know how much of an outlier he is. I'm sure he's not in the mainstream, but when I checked in at IC the other day, there were a lot of posters calling for Ol' Roy to start his retirement early.

oldnavy
01-14-2013, 01:18 PM
I don't know how much of an outlier he is. I'm sure he's not in the mainstream, but when I checked in at IC the other day, there were a lot of posters calling for Ol' Roy to start his retirement early.

To me that is really unfair. I have been very clear on what I think of Ol Roy and his limitations as a coach and his personality traits, but come on man!!

The guy wins, and he wins a lot. To call for his retirement because the team is having an off year AFTER loosing 4 starters to the NBA is a bit unreasonable IMO.

Look, don't get me wrong, the most discontent and white noise coming out of CH the better, but it really makes the fans look spoiled and ungrateful.

Now if Ol Roy goes 2010 again and starts talking about shooting himself or oppossing fans, or about how his troubles parallel a natural disaster, other silliness, then maybe the talk should start up, but so far this year he has actually held it together better than I thought he would.

Besides, who would they get to replace him that is better??

billy
01-14-2013, 01:23 PM

Living and working amongst the holes, I don't think he is an outlier at all. Even some of the most die-hard fans I know have given up on this year's team (if not Roy). At a party in Chapel Hill on Saturday, a woman told my wife that her family was pulling for State this year because the holes are so bad. My wife congratulated her on UNC's first win in the ACC...

BlueDster
01-14-2013, 01:28 PM
Now if Ol Roy goes 2010 again and starts talking about shooting himself

He did mention in the press conference after the Miami game that he was glad there was so little time before the next game so he wouldn't be tempted to "get out the knives" at home...

JasonEvans
01-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Just so we are clear, UNC has made at least the Elite 8 in 5 of the past 6 years and 6 of the past 8. He has 2 national titles in the past 8 years.

Frankly, they could go 0-for-the-rest-of-this-season and calls for him to retire would be foolish. No team in the land -- none, not even Duke -- has come close to the level of success that Roy has had over the past 8 season. Even vaunted Kentucky under Calipari is nowhere near what Carolina has done under Roy.

Yes, they are struggling this season, but everyone knew this was a rebuilding year after pretty much every significant player on last year's team went to make millions in the NBA. The complaints and hand-wringing in Chapel Hill is just silly.

I hope they do force Roy into retirement, because the odds are excellent they will get someone far, far worse to take over their program once he is gone. Are there any other members of the "Carolina Family" who would make any sense in the job at this point?

-Jason "give it to Phil Ford!!" Evans

Lar77
01-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Yeah, that almost feels like a fake... a Carolina fan wanting Cal right after complaining about ethics?

And yeah... hate defending Roy, but that is some resume. Thought there was another NIT in there, but...

I would be surprised if this wasn't a bit of a poke at Carolina fans fatalism. Bring in Cal? No better than a 4A team?

Roy has proven himself. I'm not a fan of his, and I had to listen to KU fans while I lived in Kansas City, but the guy puts good teams out there and generally gets them to play well. ACC is always a better league with a good UNC and while I love to poke at Roy, I respect him despite some shortcomings. I will still respect him after we sweep them this year. GTHC.