PDA

View Full Version : MBB: North Carolina at Florida State

davekay1971
01-12-2013, 02:30 PM
These two teams look beyond awful after the exhibition Duke and State just put on.

I heard Blue Steel is wearing body armor just in case Roy needs to take the scholarship guys to the locker room early. But, no worries, it's Alexander Julian body armor.

TruBlu
01-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Snaer needs to pretend he's playing against Duke.

Come on, FSU.

davekay1971
01-12-2013, 02:55 PM
In Snaer's defense, there is no way he can play 40 minutes against this halfhearted Carolina defense and still pretend he's competing against Duke.

Duvall
01-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Playing on the road gets a lot easier when there's no vocal crowd for the refs to appease.

CDu
01-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Wow. Snaer really did his best to lose that game for FSU. He's a terrific defender, but he's really limited offensively.

Both of these teams are pretty bad. It's telling when Jackson Simmons is a productive member of the rotation.

davekay1971
01-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Bad game for FSU. They looked awful. I'll give credit to Hairston for a good game, but FSU lost that more than UNC winning it.

cptnflash
01-12-2013, 06:24 PM
FSU took a 72-69 lead with 4:17 to play, and then didn't score another point the rest of the game. UNC closed on an 8-0 run to win by five. Exactly the kind of come-from-behind, confidence-building, road win that I was hoping they wouldn't get. Oh well... just wasn't our day.

cbarry
01-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Bad game for FSU. They looked awful. I'll give credit to Hairston for a good game, but FSU lost that more than UNC winning it.
The PJ Hairston that played today was the same PJ I saw earn the MVP of the NC Pro-Am last summer. The guy has incredible range, but also loves to take it to the hoop. In the summer league, he must have had as many dunks as 3-pointers. I have always wondered why Roy didn't play him more. He IS a streaky player, but he is definitely one of their top 3 players.

PJ is pretty good natured, too-- He was able to laugh it off when I ribbed him after a particularly poor shooting night in the summer league. I told him he had a good jump shot, to which he responded "Thanks". Then I asked him why he left it home tonight. I told him he can shoot like that (poorly!) against Duke anytime.

Newton_14
01-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Wow. Snaer really did his best to lose that game for FSU. He's a terrific defender, but he's really limited offensively.

Both of these teams are pretty bad. It's telling when Jackson Simmons is a productive member of the rotation.

Agree. Jackson Simmons is UNC's best big? Who knew?;)

I only saw the last 5 minutes of the game, and like others opined it was miles away from the level of competition we saw in our game with State. Two putrid teams.

oldnavy
01-13-2013, 08:49 AM
Agree. Jackson Simmons is UNC's best big? Who knew?;)

I only saw the last 5 minutes of the game, and like others opined it was miles away from the level of competition we saw in our game with State. Two putrid teams.

I watched the whole thing. I cannot believe that FSU gave up as many boards and second chance points to UNC as they did. UNC had 14 offensive boards, FSU had 18 DEFENSIVE boards. UNC had 34 defensive boards. THAT was the whole game right there. If FSU had even been "bad" on the defensive boards they would have won this game going away.

It was an ugly game compared to the Duke NCSU game.

I will be fit for a straight jacket if NCSU rolls over for UNC this year as they always seem to do.

davekay1971
01-13-2013, 09:13 AM
I watched the whole thing. I cannot believe that FSU gave up as many boards and second chance points to UNC as they did. UNC had 14 offensive boards, FSU had 18 DEFENSIVE boards. UNC had 34 defensive boards. THAT was the whole game right there. If FSU had even been "bad" on the defensive boards they would have won this game going away.

I will be fit for a straight jacket if NCSU rolls over for UNC this year as they always seem to do.

I've already threatened my NCSU friends with bodily harm if their team engages in the annual ritual of playing their worst for the Tarheels. But I have to think the NCSU players are going to be brimming with confidence playing the Heels, and out to prove that they are currently the better team.

roywhite
01-13-2013, 09:25 AM

Seminoles definitely miss the Old Sarge -- Bernard James.
He gave them rebounding, defense, toughness, and maturity -- all of which are currently in short supply in Seminole land.

CDu
01-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Seminoles definitely miss the Old Sarge -- Bernard James.
He gave them rebounding, defense, toughness, and maturity -- all of which are currently in short supply in Seminole land.

Losing James definitely hurt them more than I think the experts realized. It also didn't help that they lost both of his backups, either. The 'Noles always had at least one huge defensive/rebounding presence on the floor last year (often two). This year? Their best options are two undersized PFs (White and Shannon), and their centers don't give them much of anything.

It also didn't help that they lost their starting backcourt. So not only do they not have a defensive presence inside, but their veteran leadership and ballhandling on the perimeter is gone, too.

Their best returning player (Snaer) is a great defender and good-but-streaky shooter, but not much else. Aside from him, they have a talented Amile Jefferson clone in White, a rugged but undersized role player in Shannon, and some talented but very green youngsters. They have no post presence and no leadership from the PG position. That's a recipe for a bad team.