PDA

View Full Version : First time at a Duke BBall Game Questions

jay040
01-12-2013, 01:17 PM
As a celebration gift for returning from Afghanistan, my wife and parents bought 2 tickets to the Duke vs Georgia Tech on Jan 17th for my dad and I to go to.

This will be my first time to attend a game at Duke, and had a few questions:

How early before a game are fans allowed in? I'd like to see as much of the practice/shoot-around as I can.

Are there any other local pre-game events I should check out?

Thanks for any input...

Native
01-12-2013, 01:38 PM
As a celebration gift for returning from Afghanistan, my wife and parents bought 2 tickets to the Duke vs Georgia Tech on Jan 17th for my dad and I to go to.

This will be my first time to attend a game at Duke, and had a few questions:

How early before a game are fans allowed in? I'd like to see as much of the practice/shoot-around as I can.

Are there any other local pre-game events I should check out?

Thanks for any input...

Doors for non-students open an hour before tip. Come early to campus and make sure you see the Chapel. Come hang out with us in K-Ville! Tents — well, monstrous tarp structures, they're not allowed to have tents for the first week of tenting — went up this week. You can often stay outside after the game and meet the players after the game if you're patient enough.

brevity
01-13-2013, 03:28 PM
Thank you for serving, congratulations on returning, and try not to roll your eyes too visibly when people use words like "battle" and "warrior" when describing a college basketball game.

uh_no
01-13-2013, 03:42 PM
nothing against OP, but perhaps we can make stuff like this a sticky (as the same thread seems to pop up weekly)

TruBlu
01-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Agree with uh no about this being a sticky, again stressing no offense to the OP. Perhaps a "Guide to Cameron for First Time Visitors" with information about the Chapel, door opening policies, parking, things to do on campus, etc., as this seems to be a common request.

But, back to the OP. Thank you for your service! Hope you and your dad have a great time! I would suggest that you review some recent threads on the EK board and the Off Topic board regarding first time visitors, where I am sure you will find some very useful information that might not make it onto this particular thread.

(I would provide links, but I am really terrible at these new-fangled computer thingies. Maybe some of the young-uns on here can help out.)

OldPhiKap
01-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Thank you for your service, and for the sacrifice of your family.

That's really all I need to add. The rest is gravy.

Enjoy the game, enjoy the campus, stay at the Washington Duke if you can swing it.

They have a hall of fame next to Cameron now, not sure when it opens but worth checking out. The Chapel is beautiful as well.

God bless those who serve.

jay040
01-13-2013, 05:17 PM
Thanks everyone,

Starter
01-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Jay -- I would suggest giving the basketball office a call and asking them some of these same questions, explaining where you've been recently. Just to see what happens. Thanks for your service to our country.