View Full Version : Canes beat the Heels, IC Melts Down, redux

-jk
01-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Miami by 9.

-jk

burnspbesq
01-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Schadenfreudelicious!

And...the State women lead Carolina at the half. If the Wuffettes can close the deal, this will be a fine evening indeed.

Bob Green
01-10-2013, 08:55 PM
If DBR conducted a MOTM poll for this game, there is no doubt Kenny Kadji would win.

gofurman
01-10-2013, 08:59 PM
If DBR conducted a MOTM poll for this game, there is no doubt Kenny Kadji would win.

Miami is looking better - Kadji, Larkin, Scott are a good trio. Give them Johnson in the middle and they are a formidable team.

*Note - how come they get to know that Johnson is out for 6-8 weeks and we get 'indefinite"....

noworries
01-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Just went to IC for the first time...man that's entertaining!

hudlow
01-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Who's Ol' Roy gonna throw under the bus this time?

duketaylor
01-10-2013, 09:02 PM
unc simply sucks. Bad coaching. Terrible defense. Not a good team, yet they have talent. IC should be in meltdown and calling for a coaching change, IMO. Ugly team for a unc team with talent.

cptnflash
01-10-2013, 09:12 PM
Pomeroy has Miami as the 2nd best team in the ACC, ahead of State, UNC, Maryland, and all the other overrated media darlings. He basically had this game as a toss-up since UNC was at home - very glad to see Miami win the toss!

roywhite
01-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Dexter Strickland, the invisible man?

ESPN Boxscore (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=330100153)

How's this for a stat line?
26 minutes 0-1 FG 0-0 FT 0 points 0 rebounds 0 assists 0 steals 0 turnovers 0 fouls

gwwilburn
01-10-2013, 09:17 PM

26 minutes 0-1 FG 0-0 FT 0 points 0 rebounds 0 assists 0 steals 0 turnovers 0 fouls

If I'm not mistaken, the 1 FG attempt was an air ball.

Newton_14
01-10-2013, 09:28 PM

Good catch Roy. UNC had 8 free throw attempts. That means no low post game, and no slashers. Which in turn means you better be filling it up from 3 land. That stat: 6-15.

Which is a good percentage but not nearly enough attempts. You can't win like that. Roy also stuck with a rotation of 8 guys getting at least 12 minutes and 2 more guys including Jackson Simmons getting burn. A classic case of "we have met the enemy and he is us"

Unless injuries force him to change his rotation, like what happened late in the 2010 debacle when he finally put Henson inside, Roy is going to go down in flames playing two bigs, and trying to score with fast breaks and post play. Recipe for disaster with this group. He has a rook PG, and SG that can't shoot, post players that can't post up, and PJ Hairston. The lone bright spot is Bullock who is trying his best to make the transition from supporting cast role player to star and leader.

Were it not for the rat comment, I might actually feel sorry for Bullock, but no dice. When he and Hairston are hot from outside, they will win. The defense is not that bad. They held Miami to 8 assists and forced 12 turnovers, and gave up a respectable 69 points. They just cannot score.

Beautiful ain't it?:cool:

scottdude8
01-10-2013, 09:33 PM
The difference between Coach K and Roy, in a nutshell: when UNC has a down year talent wise, they completely implode and are lucky to make the tournament. When Duke has a down year talent wise (just to be clear, all relatively speaking), Duke still makes it to the Sweet 16.

Roy can only win with superior talent. K wins by getting the best out of the talent he has (which normally isn't too shabby itself).

Roy is a recruiter. K is a coach.

That is all.

sporthenry
01-10-2013, 09:35 PM
Pomeroy has Miami as the 2nd best team in the ACC, ahead of State, UNC, Maryland, and all the other overrated media darlings. He basically had this game as a toss-up since UNC was at home - very glad to see Miami win the toss!

But how much of that was with Reggie. I think some here expected Miami to give Duke a run for its money in the ACC before Reggie went down.

Kedsy
01-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Just went to IC for the first time...man that's entertaining!

Yeah, pretty funny stuff. I never go over there, but I did just now to see the wreckage. My favorite thread title: "Will UNC win an ACC game?"

dyedwab
01-10-2013, 09:43 PM

It really is unclear how a guy, especially a guard can play that many minutes, and, at least statistically speaking, appear as if he never played.

loran16
01-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Good catch Roy. UNC had 8 free throw attempts. That means no low post game, and no slashers. Which in turn means you better be filling it up from 3 land. That stat: 6-15.

Which is a good percentage but not nearly enough attempts. You can't win like that. Roy also stuck with a rotation of 8 guys getting at least 12 minutes and 2 more guys including Jackson Simmons getting burn. A classic case of "we have met the enemy and he is us"

Unless injuries force him to change his rotation, like what happened late in the 2010 debacle when he finally put Henson inside, Roy is going to go down in flames playing two bigs, and trying to score with fast breaks and post play. Recipe for disaster with this group. He has a rook PG, and SG that can't shoot, post players that can't post up, and PJ Hairston. The lone bright spot is Bullock who is trying his best to make the transition from supporting cast role player to star and leader.

Were it not for the rat comment, I might actually feel sorry for Bullock, but no dice. When he and Hairston are hot from outside, they will win. The defense is not that bad. They held Miami to 8 assists and forced 12 turnovers, and gave up a respectable 69 points. They just cannot score.

Carolina has done this all year. They're 138th in effective FG%, 111th in Turnover %, 33rd in Offensive Rebounding, and 319th in getting to the Free Throw Line. They do not go to the line. Ever.

nmduke2001
01-10-2013, 09:44 PM
Thread:Will someone please tell me what Coach Williams needs to change?

sagegrouse
01-10-2013, 10:07 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the 1 FG attempt was an air ball.

Not only did he not draw iron (FGs, FTs) but he also didn't even draw skin (fouls, TOs, steals).

sagegrouse

Wander
01-10-2013, 10:09 PM

I will repeat my assertion that every single UNC guard since 2009 has been significantly overrated (except Kendall Marshall).

JasonEvans
01-10-2013, 10:14 PM
While IC is always fun on a night like this. I decided to do all of you a favor by combing Twitter for the best and brightest.

@clubtrillion If someone asks how UNC's season is going, all that really needs to be said is, "Dexter Strickland ruined a 26 trillion with an air ball."

@jonathanganz Sat next to 4 UNC fans tonight as they watched Tar Heels lose to Miami at home. My birthday is complete before it starts.

@SethDavisHoops The Tar Heels have missed out on the NCAA tournament three times in the last 37 years. I'd say a fourth is more likely than not.
@SethDavisHoops Hard to overstate how big this game is for North Carolina's psyche. If you can't beat the Canes at home without their best player...rut roh.

@JordanBrenner I think one thing we've learned over the last decade is that when UNC falls, they fall hard.

@joshwgoodson Time to go to Inside Carolina *grabs popcorn*

@ArmstrongWTVD: Game after game Carolina shows absolutely zero awareness of who the shooters are on the opposing team

-Jason "this is fun!" Evans

cptnflash
01-10-2013, 10:17 PM
Watching UNC lose is like skiing untracked powder... no matter how many times I do it, it just never gets old.

pamtar
01-10-2013, 10:18 PM

Did I miss something? Are you saying I have a new reason to hate a UNC player. Please inform! :D

roywhite
01-10-2013, 10:21 PM
I will repeat my assertion that every single UNC guard since 2009 has been significantly overrated (except Kendall Marshall).

Yeah, Ole Roy has relied on good PG play and one or two studs down low. Doesn't have the guards and down low he's got Just Mediocre McAdoo.

Wander
01-10-2013, 10:22 PM
Not to ruin the fun, but the saddest part about all this?

Clemson does not play at UNC this year. :(

devildeac
01-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Who's Ol' Roy gonna throw under the bus this time?

A few more games like this and the bus may look like this:

Or this:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSifcO5DQJDvviBlzPzpLBCsYM6sbgZv rMWjtfXH1lc7cqBvBESZV8FsWbW

cptnflash
01-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Not to ruin the fun, but the saddest part about all this?

Clemson does not play at UNC this year. :(

So unfair. They missed out on 2010 too. Hopefully there will be plenty more woeful Tar Heel teams in the future and that streak will eventually be broken.

pamtar
01-10-2013, 10:27 PM
unc4corners wrote:

I really wonder what Roy's record would be at (fill in the blank college) and would he be a "Hall of Fame" coach then?
I believe he's a HOF because of being at Kansas and UNC. No one would ever know his name if he was at some other school.

---------------------------------------------

That's a good point. He has never really built a program. He himself admitted that he has stolen all his coaching philosophy from Dean Smith and others. Roy, as a coach, has no fundamentals that he developed. He began his career as a coach that could sell a fantastic history and tradition (at KU) not one that built a program from the ground up.

So he has no pride when the chips are down and against him because he hardly has had to face that adversity and lack of respect. He's in essence a spoiled coach and a product of nepotism.

Dayum.

Newton_14
01-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Did I miss something? Are you saying I have a new reason to hate a UNC player. Please inform! :D

In the summer prior to their Freshman year, the UNC Freshman of Barnes, Kendall Marshall, and Bullock, along with Duke Freshman Kyrie Irving were shown on a video talking about the upcoming season and razzing each other about the Duke/UNC Rivalry. It was mostly kids having fun, until Bullock decides to say "Coach K looks like a rat". Not Bullock's best moment...

JasonEvans
01-10-2013, 10:50 PM
Thread:Will someone please tell me what Coach Williams needs to change?

More from IC --

Well the high ball screen is such an innovation that Miami just invented on Tuesday. You can't expect ol' Roy to devise a defense for it in two days.

Roy said he'd never wear his suit again if they lost.
He better have a large closet.

CBI here we come.

Ol' Roy looks lost. You know, retirement is not all that bad.

chaosmage
01-10-2013, 10:57 PM
If someone has a commentary about K's coaching style (since I haven't been around that long on here), do we basically tell them to get the hell out of the board? The way UNX fans (I use that term VERY loosely) go off on anyone who simply calls Roy out on the obvious is staggering? The biggest disagreement that I've seen us about K is the bench or playing certain players. And when we do disagree, it's primarily civil. It gets NASTY over there.

But they talk about us being the Evil Empire. Sheesh.

Not sure if I got that across the way it should've been, but I hope you get the idea and can give me an answer.

cptnflash
01-10-2013, 10:59 PM
Amidst all of our (fully justified) celebrating, I should point out... if Ryan is out for longer than the widely hoped for (but unconfirmed by anyone associated with Duke) 2-4 weeks, Miami is more than capable of winning the ACC. Pomeroy had them at 13-5 in the league before they won tonight.

Newton_14
01-10-2013, 11:06 PM
If someone has a commentary about K's coaching style (since I haven't been around that long on here), do we basically tell them to get the hell out of the board? The way UNX fans (I use that term VERY loosely) go off on anyone who simply calls Roy out on the obvious is staggering? The biggest disagreement that I've seen us about K is the bench or playing certain players. And when we do disagree, it's primarily civil. It gets NASTY over there.

But they talk about us being the Evil Empire. Sheesh.

Not sure if I got that across the way it should've been, but I hope you get the idea and can give me an answer.

In short, this board is moderated a tad bit differently than IC. You can find the posting rules and guidelines in one of the sticky threads at the top of page 1 of the forum. If you have not read them already, I would encourage you to do so. http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?21833-Decorum-amp-Posting-Guidelines-(Please-read-before-posting!)

IC is pretty much an anything goes type forum. They only kick out opposing fans that have differing views than them.:)

sporthenry
01-10-2013, 11:20 PM
In short, this board is moderated a tad bit differently than IC. You can find the posting rules and guidelines in one of the sticky threads at the top of page 1 of the forum. If you have not read them already, I would encourage you to do so. http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?21833-Decorum-amp-Posting-Guidelines-(Please-read-before-posting!)

IC is pretty much an anything goes type forum. They only kick out opposing fans that have differing views than them.:)

To be fair, isn't TDD pretty similar to IC. Perhaps not as bad but it can get pretty ugly over there with chicken little stuff and the like.

-bdbd
01-10-2013, 11:28 PM
And they will stay angry until something happens to snap them out of it, like a Duke loss. But then they'd be angry about NCSU's success. This is fun.
Seriously, given the back-loaded schedule they have, this NC@ch team is in very real danger of not making the NCAAT.
They are 10-5 now, travelling to FSU next, then hosting MD. After hosting GT they will go over to Raleigh for a thrashing. Imagine you're NC heading into late Feb. and you badly need another 4 victories to make the Dance. Where will you find them among:
Sat, Feb 23 vs#20 North Carolina State 4:00 PM ET
Thu, Feb 28 @Clemson 7:00 PM ET
Sun, Mar 3 vsFlorida State 2:00 PM ET
Wed, Mar 6 @Maryland 7:00 PM ET
Sat, Mar 9 vs#1 Duke 9:00 PM ET
And looking at a 5-7 seed in the ACCT...

:confused:
-------------------------------------------------------------------

2012-13 North Carolina Tar Heels Full Schedule
DATE OPPONENT RESULT/TIME RECORD/TICKETS
Fri, Nov 9 vsGardner-Webb W76-59 1-0 (0-0)
Sun, Nov 11 vsFlorida Atlantic W80-56 2-0 (0-0)
Fri, Nov 16 @Long Beach State W78-63 3-0 (0-0)
Mon, Nov 19 vsMississippi State* W95-49 4-0 (0-0)
Tue, Nov 20 vsButler* L82-71 4-1 (0-0)
Wed, Nov 21 @Chaminade W112-70 5-1 (0-0)
Tue, Nov 27 @#1 Indiana L83-59 5-2 (0-0)
Sat, Dec 1 vsUAB W102-84 6-2 (0-0)
Sat, Dec 8 vsEast Tennessee State W78-55 7-2 (0-0)
Sat, Dec 15 vsEast Carolina W93-87 8-2 (0-0)
Wed, Dec 19 @Texas L85-67 8-3 (0-0)
Sat, Dec 22 vsMcNeese State W97-63 9-3 (0-0)
Sat, Dec 29 vs#20 UNLV W79-73 10-3 (0-0)
Sun, Jan 6 @Virginia L61-52 10-4 (0-1)
Thu, Jan 10 vsMiami (FL) L68-59 10-5 (0-2)
Sat, Jan 12 @Florida State 2:00 PM ET Conversation| Tickets
Sat, Jan 19 vsMaryland 12:00 PM ET Conversation| Tickets
Wed, Jan 23 vsGeorgia Tech 9:00 PM ET Conversation| Tickets
Sat, Jan 26 @#20 North Carolina State 7:00 PM ET Conversation| Tickets
Tue, Jan 29 @Boston College 9:00 PM ET Conversation| Tickets
Sat, Feb 2 vsVirginia Tech 12:00 PM ET Conversation| Tickets
Tue, Feb 5 vsWake Forest 7:00 PM ET Conversation| Tickets
Sat, Feb 9 @Miami (FL) 2:00 PM ET Conversation| Tickets
Wed, Feb 13 @#1 Duke 9:00 PM ET Conversation| Tickets
Sat, Feb 16 vsVirginia 12:00 PM ET Conversation| Tickets
Tue, Feb 19 @Georgia Tech 9:00 PM ET Conversation| Tickets
Sat, Feb 23 vs#20 North Carolina State 4:00 PM ET Conversation| Tickets
Thu, Feb 28 @Clemson 7:00 PM ET Conversation| Tickets
Sun, Mar 3 vsFlorida State 2:00 PM ET CBS Conversation| Tickets
Wed, Mar 6 @Maryland 7:00 PM ET Conversation| Tickets
Sat, Mar 9 vs#1 Duke 9:00 PM ET Conversation| Tickets

Faustus
01-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Oh, and add this as well - they're not really 10-5. One win is against Division II (or III?) Chaminade, which does not count in NCAA Tournament consideration. Their current record is essentially 9-5. Just thought I'd toss that out there.... :)

miramar
01-11-2013, 12:33 AM
Oh, and add this as well - they're not really 10-5. One win is against Division II (or III?) Chaminade, which does not count in NCAA Tournament consideration. Their current record is essentially 9-5. Just thought I'd toss that out there.... :)

When you have victories against the likes of Gardner Webb, East Tennessee State, and FAU, you need to start racking up some quality wins. So far UNC's only impressive win is UNLV, so ol' Roy needs to right this ship in a hurry.

Bruce Pearl had an interesting comment at the half that UNC only scores in transition and early in the shot clock. When the shot clock starts running down they seem out of sync and end up taking some pretty lousy shots.

Olympic Fan
01-11-2013, 12:52 AM
Faustus is right -- in the NCAAs eyes they are 9-5 ... the Chaminade win doesn't count.

Their resume is very shaky. On the plus side, they don'tyhave any bad losses (Texas and Virginia are barely outside the top 150 in the RPI ... but both were on the road).

On the other hand, their only top 100 win is the home victory over UNLV.

Something has to change or they are not going to make the NCAA field.

They have to go to Florida State Saturday ... they could easily be 0-3.

Now, the 1997 Tar Heels reached the Final Fourater starting 0-3 in the ACC (and coming just couple of Ish Benjamen turnovers from goin g 0-4). That team has Antwan Jamison, Ed Cota and Vince Carter. While thios team since has a chance to salvage the season, it ain't going to win the ACC or make it to the Final Four.

BigWayne
01-11-2013, 12:57 AM
If UNC loses at FSU Saturday, which I expect they will, I predict they will go 8-10 in the ACC. They will lose at VA, FSU, and MD. They will get swept by Miami, Duke, and NCSU. Then they will pick up the 10th loss at either GT or Clemson in late Feb. This would put them at 17-13 with a losing conference record going into the ACCT. They would have to at least get to the final and maybe have to win the ACCT to make the NCAAT.

A-Tex Devil
01-11-2013, 01:05 AM
Faustus is right -- in the NCAAs eyes they are 9-5 ... the Chaminade win doesn't count.

Their resume is very shaky. On the plus side, they don'tyhave any bad losses (Texas and Virginia are barely outside the top 150 in the RPI ... but both were on the road).

On the other hand, their only top 100 win is the home victory over UNLV.

Something has to change or they are not going to make the NCAA field.

They have to go to Florida State Saturday ... they could easily be 0-3.

Now, the 1997 Tar Heels reached the Final Fourater starting 0-3 in the ACC (and coming just couple of Ish Benjamen turnovers from goin g 0-4). That team has Antwan Jamison, Ed Cota and Vince Carter. While thios team since has a chance to salvage the season, it ain't going to win the ACC or make it to the Final Four.

I went to the Texas-WVU game last night. Texas is a bad loss until they prove otherwise. I was also at the UNC-Texas game and was stunned that Texas won so easily. Texas is *praying* that UNC starts winning as it is the only thing on its resume.

Reisen
01-11-2013, 01:37 AM
To be fair, isn't TDD pretty similar to IC. Perhaps not as bad but it can get pretty ugly over there with chicken little stuff and the like.

I have frequented IC for a long, long time. Like 14 years, going back to when it was UNCBasketball.com.

I have also frequented a number of college basketball forums over the years, including TDD, Syracuse boards, Georgetown boards, Arizona boards, Kansas boards, etc.

I've never seen one like IC. For better or for worse, it's entertaining.

bludev
01-11-2013, 01:51 AM
I watched the beginning of the game and there seemed to be many, many empty seats in the Dome tonight. I seriously can't believe that many fans have given up on them already ... anyone else notice this and/or know of an explanation ?

Indoor66
01-11-2013, 07:39 AM
I watched the beginning of the game and there seemed to be many, many empty seats in the Dome tonight. I seriously can't believe that many fans have given up on them already ... anyone else notice this and/or know of an explanation ?

Easy explanatiobn: Front Runner Fans.

OldPhiKap
01-11-2013, 07:52 AM

I have it on good authority that the Brie delivery was held up in traffic, and that the Chardonnay was still chilling.

superdave
01-11-2013, 07:52 AM

Was Dexter just running from 3-point line to 3-point line? That is awesome. May he have many more nights like this one.

I think it's time for Roy to take the Coaching Emergency Kit off the wall, break the glass and read the instructions on how to take the rims off for the next practice. That's his go to.

And if that doesnt work, recriminations!!

Super "Spare the Haitians, Roy" Dave

roywhite
01-11-2013, 08:10 AM
Was Dexter just running from 3-point line to 3-point line? That is awesome. May he have many more nights like this one.I think it's time for Roy to take the Coaching Emergency Kit off the wall, break the glass and read the instructions on how to take the rims off for the next practice. That's his go to.

And if that doesnt work, recriminations!!

Super "Spare the Haitians, Roy" Dave

Maybe a new boxscore designation?
DNP -- Player's decision

wilko
01-11-2013, 08:12 AM
I think it's time for Roy to take the Coaching Emergency Kit off the wall, break the glass and read the instructions on how to take the rims off for the next practice. That's his go to.

Roy must be feeling pretty boxed in right now...
Its not like can tag-up with Steve Robinson on the sideline and walk away for some unspecified "treatment" for a while...
Oh the karma over K's back would be most bitter to swallow indeed.....

Hes pretty much stuck and has to keep taking it.

On a more serious note.. I hope Roy is managing his stress levels. Its generally seen as a trigger for poor health and after the summer HE had... well. I wish the man no illness just a long and happy retirement...

Wait a minute... If Williams retires they might make a run @ Brad Stevens before we are ready to offer him....
errr uhhh... can I change it to "I wish Roy limited middling success until K retires?"

slower
01-11-2013, 08:40 AM
DNP -- Player's decision

POTY so far!

MChambers
01-11-2013, 08:54 AM
UNC is now #67 in Sagarin (although 54 in the predictor category).

Better news for UNC fans in Pomeroy: UNC is #52, and it is well balanced, with with its offensive efficiency at #53 and its defensive efficiency at #58.

UrinalCake
01-11-2013, 09:52 AM
In the summer prior to their Freshman year, the UNC Freshman of Barnes, Kendall Marshall, and Bullock, along with Duke Freshman Kyrie Irving were shown on a video talking about the upcoming season and razzing each other about the Duke/UNC Rivalry. It was mostly kids having fun, until Bullock decides to say "Coach K looks like a rat". Not Bullock's best moment...

He also said that he was going to own Singler. Even his teammates were trying to get him to shut up. Everyone else in the video was engaging in good-natured ribbing but he took it way too far and too personally. Then a couple days later, after the first video had gotten out, they were interviewed for another video and he just kept going with it, even though some of the UNC staff (public relations people perhaps) had told him to cool it.

I get that he was just a kid and has matured since then, but I still use it as a reason to hate him.

CDu
01-11-2013, 09:53 AM

Clearly Strickland was not the guy Bullock was referring to when he said some of his teammates were "playing for stats."

jdj4duke
01-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Two comments from the IC thread "Kendall says it best" will help explain to anyone still puzzled by what many believe is the apparent lack of outcry from the UNC faithful about the recent (to put it mildly) academic questions over yonder:

"Listen people, TRUE fans will be there through thick annd thin, through championships and NIT runs. To say you are "embarrassed" to be a fan of a team means you are a fair weathered fan. I am not embarrassed. I may be disappointed with this season, but I will absolutely never be embarrassed to be a Heels fan unless something severe off the court were to happen that would embarrass the university."

And then this
"I AM A TAR HEEL, and I will never be embarrassed because of that.

I may get disappointed in things that go on at the University, like the academic mess in the AFAM department, and yes, I wish we would win every game, but those are things 100% out of my control, and therefore I never have embarrassment over the occurences (sic)."

Now granted these are from a sports chat board and not from an English or History or some such forum, but it's pretty dadgum amusing to see the vociferous attacks and simultaneous defense of the basketball team performance, and the willful ignorance of what appears to most of the civilized universe to be egregious academic and athletic fraud. My favorite though has to be in the second quote- basically I didn't do it, so therefore it doesn't exist or has no impact on me.

So, at least for these two fellows, there was a bit of a mess in the AFAM department, but since they were not directly involved and had no control over it, it's the old "move along now nothing to see here." I just wonder for the first guy quoted, what might occur off the court that would in fact rise to the level of embarrassing behavior. Clearly nothing so far.

Kdogg
01-11-2013, 10:37 AM

Here's the video links.

First: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arv-P1UyCyQ

Second: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QfKjcZenGo - "The Apology"

Unlike some players I give him a pass. He's from rural NC and unlike most players that go to Duke and UNC, he literally grew up with the rivalry. Of course I can not see a high school Ryan Kelly making those type of comments toward UNC.

COYS
01-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Here's the video links.

First: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arv-P1UyCyQ

Second: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QfKjcZenGo - "The Apology"

Unlike some players I give him a pass. He's from rural NC and unlike most players that go to Duke and UNC, he literally grew up with the rivalry. Of course I can not see a high school Ryan Kelly making those type of comments toward UNC.

I give him a pass, too. I feel bad for kids who grow up in the spotlight when everything they say is forever enshrined on youtube. There are no free passes. Lord knows I make off color jokes all the time that I pray never end up on the internet. While it wasn't a particularly nice comment, Reggie was only playing off of Kyrie and the other guys. Maybe it crossed a line, but it was in jest. He also doesn't strike me as being particularly punkish on the court, either. Plus, he apologized.

I'd also like to add that as long as Reggie continues to lead his team to an NIT appearance, he will be one of my favorite non-Duke players =).

moonpie23
01-11-2013, 10:51 AM
the digital footprint is a new challenge for parents.........

mdj
01-11-2013, 11:00 AM

I wonder if anybody keeps club trillionaire records? I would think 26 trillion would have to be real close to the record. To think one lousy air ball may have cost Dexter his place in history.

devildeac
01-11-2013, 11:02 AM

They were attending the night school Swahili classes;).

Wander
01-11-2013, 11:37 AM
I wonder if anybody keeps club trillionaire records? I would think 26 trillion would have to be real close to the record. To think one lousy air ball may have cost Dexter his place in history.

Oh my god. Thank you for causing me to look up what a trillion was. New favorite stat. And yes, I imagine 26 trillion would be historically bad.

mr. synellinden
01-11-2013, 11:43 AM

That was my exact first thought - that a 26 trillion would have to be highest ever. I'd love to know what the "record" is. I've seen trillions in the low teens, but nothing in the 20s. I almost think a 26 trilliion marred by one air ball is even more ignominious.

EDIT:

Doing some research, I found this (http://basketbawful.blogspot.com/2007/07/word-of-day-one-trillion.html) on trillions. Apparently, Duhon once had a 10 trillion, but the highest trillion referenced here is a 12 trillion by Damon Jones. But this is from 2007 - so more research is necessary.

FURTHER EDIT:

More research (http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/23/keeping-score-after-an-unproductive-minute-one-of-the-trillions/): Kenny Walker once had a 12 trillion also. There are only NBA stats - using college games it seems it would be almost impossible to research.

Jarhead
01-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Oh my god. Thank you for causing me to look up what a trillion was. New favorite stat. And yes, I imagine 26 trillion would be historically bad.

Perhaps even hysterically bad.3110

blazindw
01-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Everyone who has ever played basketball knows the unwritten golden rule: Avoid The Trillion. Even if you come in the last 20 seconds of the game, you try to foul, turnover, chuck up a shot, anything. To almost score a 26 trillion is probably the most hilarious stat line I've ever seen. Even funnier than Jerome Bettis' 5 carry, 1 yard, 3 TD performance.

FerryFor50
01-11-2013, 12:21 PM

Did Dexter pull a Kobe on the Heels?

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/may/15/sports/la-sp-0516-plaschke-20100516

MarkD83
01-11-2013, 12:52 PM
DNP -- Player's decision

I have to call IT. The coffee I just spewed all over my computer may have ruined it.

MarkD83
01-11-2013, 12:58 PM
I give him a pass, too. I feel bad for kids who grow up in the spotlight when everything they say is forever enshrined on youtube. There are no free passes. Lord knows I make off color jokes all the time that I pray never end up on the internet. While it wasn't a particularly nice comment, Reggie was only playing off of Kyrie and the other guys. Maybe it crossed a line, but it was in jest. He also doesn't strike me as being particularly punkish on the court, either. Plus, he apologized.

I'd also like to add that as long as Reggie continues to lead his team to an NIT appearance, he will be one of my favorite non-Duke players =).

Ethics 101: Don't say anything that you would be embarassed to see live on forever on the internet. Saying some comments once is a pass, but if somone gives you advice to tone it down and you ignore the advice then you don't get another free pass.

Orange&BlackSheep
01-11-2013, 12:59 PM

I keep counting (what would have been) 10 zeros with 26 in front of it. Isn't that 260,000,000,000 which is 260 Billion?

I did not do well in my one math class in college.

Orange&BlackSheep

Wander
01-11-2013, 01:04 PM

I keep counting (what would have been) 10 zeros with 26 in front of it. Isn't that 260,000,000,000 which is 260 Billion?

I did not do well in my one math class in college.

Orange&BlackSheep

Blocks and offensive rebounds

rsvman
01-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Orange and Black Sheep's matematical acumen seems intact to me, despite his insistence that he didn't do well on his one math class in college.

Somebody's gonna need to 'splain where the "trillion with a T" came from.

rsvman
01-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Oh. And now I see that Wander answered the question before I posted. Oops.

ricks68
01-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Orange and Black Sheep's matematical acumen seems intact to me, despite his insistence that he didn't do well on his one math class in college.

Somebody's gonna need to 'splain where the "trillion with a T" came from.

billion from bi = 2
trillion from tri = 3
quadrillion from quad = 4
etc.

Or, did you just set me up? :confused:

ricks

ricks68
01-11-2013, 02:02 PM
billion from bi = 2
trillion from tri = 3
quadrillion from quad = 4
etc.

Or, did you just set me up? :confused:

ricks

I guess I don't read so well either, and set myself up.

ricks

newclasspack
01-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Roy must be feeling pretty boxed in right now...
Its not like can tag-up with Steve Robinson on the sideline and walk away for some unspecified "treatment" for a while...
Oh the karma over K's back would be most bitter to swallow indeed.....

Hes pretty much stuck and has to keep taking it.

On a more serious note.. I hope Roy is managing his stress levels. Its generally seen as a trigger for poor health and after the summer HE had... well. I wish the man no illness just a long and happy retirement...

Wait a minute... If Williams retires they might make a run @ Brad Stevens before we are ready to offer him....
errr uhhh... can I change it to "I wish Roy limited middling success until K retires?"Unc only hires UNC alums and Hubert Davis is the coach in waiting over there. Besides i thought you guys were gonna make a run at the Other Rivers

Tom B.
01-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Blocks and offensive rebounds

Stat sheets typically also have columns for three-point field goals made and attempted, so Dexter's line (but for the airball) actually would be a 2.6 quadrillion.

Apparently, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKIpCPS-oZc) was the advice that Roy gave to Dexter just before sending him into the game.

camion
01-11-2013, 04:05 PM
But then there are the intangibles.

How do you put a number on those?

newclasspack
01-11-2013, 04:11 PM
But then there are the intangibles.

How do you put a number on those?D. Strickland... Intangibles: 0

wilko
01-11-2013, 04:21 PM
Unc only hires UNC alums and Hubert Davis is the coach in waiting over there. Besides i thought you guys were gonna make a run at the Other Rivers

So far, I have to say I LIKE what Hubert has brought to the staff. I hope he keeps it rolling longer than Matty D did..
I hadnt heard about serious interest from or in Doc to that regard...

Stevens fits the profile to a TEE.
Young - seasoned program builder/recruiter at a small private institution..

newclasspack
01-11-2013, 04:52 PM
So far, I have to say I LIKE what Hubert has brought to the staff. I hope he keeps it rolling longer than Matty D did..
I hadnt heard about serious interest from or in Doc to that regard...

Stevens fits the profile to a TEE.
Young - seasoned program builder/recruiter at a small private institution..You guys would be remiss not to. Doc said he didn't want to coach in teh NBA against his son not that he didn't want to coach period, Spender Rivers is projecting to be a even better prospect than Austin and The would certainly shore up the issue of not getting Athletic black players (though guys did strike gold with next years class in that regard). Also that means More Callie Rivers sitings which i'm never mad at.. even if she is dating Dexter Strickland... which .. how?

davekay1971
01-11-2013, 05:26 PM
You guys would be remiss not to. Doc said he didn't want to coach in teh NBA against his son not that he didn't want to coach period, Spender Rivers is projecting to be a even better prospect than Austin and The would certainly shore up the issue of not getting Athletic black players (though guys did strike gold with next years class in that regard). Also that means More Callie Rivers sitings which i'm never mad at.. even if she is dating Dexter Strickland... which .. how?

I thought we kind of struck gold with that with Quinn Cook, Rasheed Sulaimon, Amile Jefferson (cough cough)...

newclasspack
01-11-2013, 05:43 PM
I thought we kind of struck gold with that with Quinn Cook, Rasheed Sulaimon, Amile Jefferson (cough cough)...Quinn and Amile aren't super athletic. they are athletic enough by D1 standards but Quinn plays excellent in the system and just knows the game. Amile is the same one. Rasheed is a Freak though. I'd hate to see him in the open court on D.

DukieInBrasil
01-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Quinn and Amile aren't super athletic. they are athletic enough by D1 standards but Quinn plays excellent in the system and just knows the game. Amile is the same one. Rasheed is a Freak though. I'd hate to see him in the open court on D.

ncp, i have a friend who is a UNC alum and whined that "Am I really going to have to watch the NIT again? Please don't make me watch the NIT again". I told him that the Heels might not even make the NIT, since you have to finish with a winning record. He said they were 10-4 (actually they're 10-5). I said that UNC was likely to lose both games to Duke and likely to lose both vs NCSU. So, from what i saw from UNC last night, yes i believe they could lose both to State, tho i haven't watched a whole State game this year. Since you know more about State than i do, what do you think State's chances are of taking both from UNC?

wilson
01-11-2013, 06:09 PM
the Heels might not even make the NIT, since you have to finish with a winning record.
As of 2006, when the NCAA purchased the NIT, you no longer have to have a winning record (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Invitation_Tournament#Selection_process) to compete in the NIT. This has been discussed numerous times here.

newclasspack
01-11-2013, 06:12 PM
ncp, i have a friend who is a UNC alum and whined that "Am I really going to have to watch the NIT again? Please don't make me watch the NIT again". I told him that the Heels might not even make the NIT, since you have to finish with a winning record. He said they were 10-4 (actually they're 10-5). I said that UNC was likely to lose both games to Duke and likely to lose both vs NCSU. So, from what i saw from UNC last night, yes i believe they could lose both to State, tho i haven't watched a whole State game this year. Since you know more about State than i do, what do you think State's chances are of taking both from UNC?

Yes but not blow outs and we could catch an L at the Dome.. Just because Roy Hates us. UNC fans may not act like the rivalry isn't real but Roy Makes it a point to let his players know they don't lose to us. so they aren't gonna lay down and die for us it will be a Fight.... That being said. Warren was Recruited By UNC and the next day after his visit committed to us (same thing happened with the '14 Martin Twins this year). Lorenzo Brown Straight does not like UNC. So we aren't gonna come into those games with the thought of hey were are better this year. we will want to dominate.

wilko
01-11-2013, 06:34 PM
The would certainly shore up the issue of not getting Athletic black players (though guys did strike gold with next years class in that regard). ?

I didn't realize there WAS an issue.... In addition to what davekay1971 said; I put Parker and Hood on the list. And Semi is avg like 35 pts a game... So

newclasspack
01-11-2013, 06:38 PM
I didn't realize there WAS an issue.... In addition to what davekay1971 said; I put Parker and Hood on the list. And Semi is avg like 35 pts a game... So
Aren't parker, hood, Semi all apart of next year class?

wilko
01-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Aren't parker, hood, Semi all apart of next year class?

Well they are, but how does the previous statement on perceptions of who we recruit correlate with Doc Rivers as a candidate to replace K. I'm missing something in your statement(s).

MarkD83
01-11-2013, 07:46 PM
This is like the old campfire game "whisper down the lane"...

We went from discussing that UNC is 0 and 2 and headed for the NIT to....Doc Rivers will be the new Duke coach and prevent duek from recruiting unathletic players........Time to move on to another topic.

wilko
01-11-2013, 08:12 PM
This is like the old campfire game "whisper down the lane"...

We went from discussing that UNC is 0 and 2 and headed for the NIT to....Doc Rivers will be the new Duke coach and prevent duek from recruiting unathletic players........Time to move on to another topic.

Yer right I much prefer talking about how UNC is terrible and pining for the good old days under Matt D....

Bob Green
01-11-2013, 08:20 PM
We went from discussing that UNC is 0 and 2 and headed for the NIT to.....

To help get the thread back on topic I will point out that Florida State has opened in Vegas as a two point favorite over Carolina for tomorrow's game. Imagine the panic on IC if Carolina drops to 0-3 on the season.

DukieInBrasil
01-11-2013, 08:23 PM
To help get the thread back on topic I will point out that Florida State has opened in Vegas as a two point favorite over Carolina for tomorrow's game. Imagine the panic on IC if Carolina drops to 0-3 on the season.

can't wait for that to happen! I'm kinda hoping UNC goes 0-16 in conference this year...

Newton_14
01-11-2013, 08:28 PM

If that happens, and it likely will, it will not only be a continuation of the IC meltdown (their servers might blowup), it will likely be the start of the Ol Roy meltdown. I await the quotes with bated breath!

BB guns, massage therapists, it's practice 52 Dexter, etc etc :o

newclasspack
01-11-2013, 08:48 PM
Well they are, but how does the previous statement on perceptions of who we recruit correlate with Doc Rivers as a candidate to replace K. I'm missing something in your statement(s).Well i had a post all prepared for this but i much rather talk about how Someone will drop another 32 one UNC

Nugget
01-11-2013, 09:05 PM
while I'm all for piling on Carolina and having a good laugh at their expense, it may be worth some caution in that the last time Carolina started 0-2 in the ACC (2008-2009) they ended up winning the national title.

newclasspack
01-11-2013, 09:11 PM
while I'm all for piling on Carolina and having a good laugh at their expense, it may be worth some caution in that the last time Carolina started 0-2 in the ACC (2008-2009) they ended up winning the national title.look at that roster though

http://www.tarheeltimes.com/rosterbasketball-2008.aspx

Hansborough, Lawson, Danny Green (who has broken almost every record at UNC)... They were lowkey stacked that year.

Newton_14
01-11-2013, 09:19 PM
while I'm all for piling on Carolina and having a good laugh at their expense, it may be worth some caution in that the last time Carolina started 0-2 in the ACC (2008-2009) they ended up winning the national title.

I don't think it takes a whole lot of effort to recognize this UNC team has no chance in Hades of winning a National Title. This team and season does not even come close to comparing to that 2009 team. The parallels to the 2006 and 2010 teams are far closer than the 2009 team. It is not even close.

UNC 2013 may pull a few upsets against teams they have no business beating like State or Duke, but it will take a minor miracle for them to actually make the tourney. They will likely fall somewhere in between their 2006 and 2010 teams, with the bar closer to 2010 than 2006.

matt1
01-11-2013, 09:23 PM
I am fairly new here, and I get that IC is a humorous Carolina board, but could someone give me the link?

Bob Green
01-11-2013, 09:25 PM
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410

roywhite
01-11-2013, 09:27 PM
I am fairly new here, and I get that IC is a humorous Carolina board, but could someone give me the link?

insidecarolina.com
or northcarolina.scout.com

go to the basketball forum
**or follow Bob Green's link above :)

sagegrouse
01-11-2013, 09:46 PM

to be fair, it is an open forum for UNC fans, that seems to be inhabited by adolescents throughout the state of NC. There is a lot of humor on IC, but very little is intentionally funny.

sage

newclasspack
01-11-2013, 09:50 PM
to be fair, it is an open forum for UNC fans, that seems to be inhabited by adolescents throughout the state of NC. There is a lot of humor on IC, but very little is intentionally funny.

sage

Also there is a lot of other team trolling

matt1
01-11-2013, 10:15 PM
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410
Thanks.

arnie
01-11-2013, 10:20 PM
can't wait for that to happen! I'm kinda hoping UNC goes 0-16 in conference this year...

18 conf games this year. I'll be ok if they go 1-17

Kedsy
01-11-2013, 11:11 PM
18 conf games this year. I'll be ok if they go 1-17

As long as the 1 isn't against us.

newclasspack
01-11-2013, 11:21 PM
As long as the 1 isn't against us.Usually i wouldn't mind if that one came against maryland but one of my friends is on that maryland team this year so eh... i hope they tank this year.. become strong next year only to lose to you and us.

slower
01-12-2013, 08:06 AM
They were lowkey stacked that year.

I think that I'm correctly understanding most of what you say in your posts, but what does "lowkey stacked" mean.

newclasspack
01-12-2013, 08:55 AM
I think that I'm correctly understanding most of what you say in your posts, but what does "lowkey stacked" mean.
the sum of their parts was greater than the individual Pieces.

devildeac
01-12-2013, 09:05 AM
I had forgotten this one: