PDA

View Full Version : Amile Jefferson

mr. synellinden
01-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Or is it Washington?:D

I had intended to start this thread before the Kelly injury - so up front I'll say this is not in reaction to that.

I'll also say that never before in my almost 30 years as a Duke basketball fan has there been a bigger disconnect between what I see on the floor from a player and how much playing time that player receives. From the very first exhibition game, every time he's been on the floor, I've been extremely impressed with something specific he's done and his overall game. He hustles - he defends and understands defensive positioning - he finishes well, and apparently can use both hands - he can put the ball on the floor and absorb contact - he is emotional - and he has the intangibles announcers and fans love to talk about in cliches: has a nose for the ball, seems to be in the right place at the right time, let's the game come to him, etc. If there is one area of weakness at this point, it is rebounding in traffic - and I think that is due not having enough strength at this point.

I realize we have an extremely talented starting five and they deserve most of the minutes, but I really think Jefferson can and will be much more important and valuable contributor as the season goes on. Obviously with Kelly out, that's more likely. But even when Kelly comes back, I expect to see much more of Jefferson as we get deeper into the ACC season and post-season.

If it were up to me, I'd have Jefferson in the starting lineup, use our full bench more - giving 5-10 minutes a game at least to Marshall, Alex, Josh and Tyler, and try to emphasize our defensive strengths a little more by employing an occasional press or trap. I'd like to see us try to convert more defense into offense and wear teams down with depth. I think our offense will be fine even without Kelly. I am more worried about the impact on defense and rebounding, and I think adding some pressing and trapping could help.

And get well soon, Ryan.

JNort
01-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Or is it Washington?:D

I had intended to start this thread before the Kelly injury - so up front I'll say this is not in reaction to that.

I'll also say that never before in my almost 30 years as a Duke basketball fan has there been a bigger disconnect between what I see on the floor from a player and how much playing time that player receives. From the very first exhibition game, every time he's been on the floor, I've been extremely impressed with something specific he's done and his overall game. He hustles - he defends and understands defensive positioning - he finishes well, and apparently can use both hands - he can put the ball on the floor and absorb contact - he is emotional - and he has the intangibles announcers and fans love to talk about in cliches: has a nose for the ball, seems to be in the right place at the right time, let's the game come to him, etc. If there is one area of weakness at this point, it is rebounding in traffic - and I think that is due not having enough strength at this point.

I realize we have an extremely talented starting five and they deserve most of the minutes, but I really think Jefferson can and will be much more important and valuable contributor as the season goes on. Obviously with Kelly out, that's more likely. But even when Kelly comes back, I expect to see much more of Jefferson as we get deeper into the ACC season and post-season.

If it were up to me, I'd have Jefferson in the starting lineup, use our full bench more - giving 5-10 minutes a game at least to Marshall, Alex, Josh and Tyler, and try to emphasize our defensive strengths a little more by employing an occasional press or trap. I'd like to see us try to convert more defense into offense and wear teams down with depth. I think our offense will be fine even without Kelly. I am more worried about the impact on defense and rebounding, and I think adding some pressing and trapping could help.

And get well soon, Ryan.

This being discussed in the Who starts thread... sorta.