PDA

View Full Version : GT hires Ted Roof as DC

jimsumner
01-09-2013, 05:50 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8829464/georgia-tech-yellow-jackets-hire-ted-roof-defensive-coordinator

juise
01-09-2013, 05:57 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8829464/georgia-tech-yellow-jackets-hire-ted-roof-defensive-coordinator

Roof's hiring cannot become official until Georgia Tech has completed a background check, which likely will not occur until next week, according to the school's release.

Better double check the accuracy of your resume, Ted. ;)

(Yes, I know O'Leary's resume fraud didn't get caught by GT, but I would think they would be more sensitive to it after George got busted.)

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-09-2013, 06:12 PM
I'm happy for Coach Roof. He's made a positive difference as the DC at Penn State.... and his other stops along the way. He's also a great recruiter. Being able to go back to his alma mater (which is need of improvement on defense) is a great opportunity for him and his family.

ChrisP
01-09-2013, 08:42 PM
I wonder how many readers here realize that he was the DC for Auburn's National Championship team a few years back. The man can definitely coach him some D! Best of luck to Coach Roof.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-09-2013, 08:49 PM
I wonder how many readers here realize that he was the DC for Auburn's National Championship team a few years back. The man can definitely coach him some D! Best of luck to Coach Roof.
Yes indeed, Ted went to Auburn after raising up the quality of D at Minnesota. His timing for leaving Auburn was excellent.

roywhite
01-10-2013, 07:34 AM
I'm happy for Coach Roof. He's made a positive difference as the DC at Penn State.... and his other stops along the way. He's also a great recruiter. Being able to go back to his alma mater (which is need of improvement on defense) is a great opportunity for him and his family.

Penn State fans were apprehensive about Roof coming on as the defensive co-ordinator. However, he did an excellent job, and accomplished a lot with a defense lacking depth following sanctions and transfers. Wish him well. The Penn State staff still has a strong Duke connection, with Head Coach Bill O'Brien, and assistant coaches Mac McWhorter, John Strollo, and Charles London (who also played at Duke) all having coached at Duke.

ns7
01-10-2013, 10:05 PM
Yes indeed, Ted went to Auburn after raising up the quality of D at Minnesota. His timing for leaving Auburn was excellent.

Roof was essentially fired from Auburn. I originally thought he was the problem with the Auburn defense, but obviously that went all the way to the top.

Roof is a great recruiter but an average coach. GT has a terrible recruiter but brilliant head coach in Paul Johnson, so this could conceivably work for them. However, their defense has repeatedly been their downfall so let's see what Roof does there.

OldPhiKap
01-11-2013, 08:45 AM
Good luck Coach Roof, on all but one game a year!

Seemed like a nice guy, and whatever the results he is part of the family.