PDA

View Full Version : T.J. Lang (Tony's son)

hurleyfor3
01-09-2013, 04:45 PM
Tony Lang's son has developed into a pretty decent player. Doesn't sound like Coach K is recruiting him too heavily, but several high-profile schools are.

http://highschoolsports.al.com/news/article/-4330909244361297285/mcgill-toolen-junior-tj-lang-flourishing-in-fathers-famous-footsteps/

rtnorthrup
01-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Being from Mobile and also being Duke class of 1994, I have had the pleasure to interact with Antonio on numerous occassions. I can honestly say he is one of the finest human beings you will ever meet. He never takes credit for any of his accomplishments, preferring to praise those who helped him along the way. His wife and children are also wonderful.

I have had the opportunity to see TJ play several times. This year he has really taken his game to another level. One more year of hard work and he will be a legitimate high major DI basketball player.

Tripping William
01-09-2013, 05:08 PM
. . . Tony's fingernails had been 1/8 of an inch longer.

One of my favorite players from my time at Duke.

Lord Ash
01-09-2013, 05:21 PM

*sigh* Thanks for bringing it up:(

Tripping William
01-09-2013, 05:28 PM
*sigh* Thanks for bringing it up:(

. . . that nearly 17 years would be enough time to heal. One would be wrong. I loved that team.

jimsumner
01-09-2013, 05:44 PM
. . . that nearly 17 years would be enough time to heal. One would be wrong. I loved that team.

Even worse. It was almost 19 years ago.

CameronBornAndBred
01-09-2013, 06:06 PM
Has K recruited any past Duke player's kid before (that played for him, not prior)? Are there any former players' kids (boys and girls) growing up now that would be fun to keep track of? It's wild to think that the children of his first class could easily be approaching their 30's now.

Jim3k
01-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Has K recruited any past Duke player's kid before (that played for him, not prior)? Are there any former players' kids (boys and girls) growing up now that would be fun to keep track of? It's wild to think that the children of his first class could easily be approaching their 30's now.

Not a son of one of is own players, but...

In an inexact answer to the question, K did give a scholarship to Clay Buckley, '88-'91 (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/statlines.php?playerid=52), who is the son of Jay Buckley '60-'64 (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/statlines.php?playerid=54). Jay was the starting center on Bubas' teams of that era. (Freshmen were ineligible during Jay's years, so his stat sheet only covers 3 years.) Clay was a reserve during his days as a Blue Devil, but still served as a team captain in '91.

Indoor66
01-09-2013, 07:11 PM

Maybe Coach P should check out Laetner's daughters.

Tripping William
01-09-2013, 07:36 PM

It took me 2 years to quit writhing in agony.

-jk
01-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Not a son of one of is own players, but...

In an inexact answer to the question, K did give a scholarship to Clay Buckley, '88-'91 (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/statlines.php?playerid=52), who is the son of Jay Buckley '60-'64 (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/statlines.php?playerid=54). Jay was the starting center on Bubas' teams of that era. (Freshmen were ineligible during Jay's years, so his stat sheet only covers 3 years.) Clay was a reserve during his days as a Blue Devil, but still served as a team captain in '91.

Don't forget the Melchionis!

-jk

Duke76
01-09-2013, 08:11 PM

and had pretty good seats lower level and i can remember it like yesterday...right wing from my seats...thought he had it,
"one inch here, one inch there" as Al Pacino said..... bout the same in the Georgia Alabama game as well except this time the bad guys get the tip or Bulldogs would have been National champs too.

davekay1971
01-09-2013, 08:58 PM
That team is why Grant Hill is the greatest player in Duke basketball history.

But I loved Tony. Met him a couple times on campus and he couldn't have been a nicer, friendlier person to some random Duke undergrad. He was one of my favorite Duke players, all time, and if his son has the game for it, I'd love to see him in a Duke uniform. If he doesn't come to Duke, all the best to him in his career, because his father is certainly a great representative of my alma mater!

Jim3k
01-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Don't forget the Melchionis!

-jk

I'm pretty sure Lee was Gary's nephew. Bill, from Villanova and the NBA, was Lee's Dad.

grossbus
01-09-2013, 09:47 PM
"If Only . . .
. . . Tony's fingernails had been 1/8 of an inch longer."

every time i see that play, i think he is going to block the shot...

:(

Newton_14
01-09-2013, 10:05 PM

You read my mind. I was going to post the exact same thoughts until I read your post. One of my favorite players and another one of those that had a great reaction when Laettner's shot went in. Beautiful.

Tony was a great player in his own right. Turned into a pretty effective lost post scorer. Alas I can still see him streaking down that court in Charlotte after getting that steal on the pass, and throwing down the thunder dunk to seal Duke's 3rd title in 4 years. The rainbow 3 never happened. A Duke dunk on the other end instead. What could have been.

If his kid is anything like Tony I hope K jumps in and recruits him hard.

Tom B.
01-10-2013, 10:27 AM
and had pretty good seats lower level and i can remember it like yesterday...right wing from my seats...thought he had it,
"one inch here, one inch there" as Al Pacino said..... bout the same in the Georgia Alabama game as well except this time the bad guys get the tip or Bulldogs would have been National champs too.

To this day, I still don't understand how Thurman got that ball over Tony's hand.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kz536jjsAg1qbqupto1_400.jpg

nmduke2001
01-10-2013, 10:43 AM
To this day, I still don't understand how Thurman got that ball over Tony's hand.

70-70 with 55 seconds left when that shot goes in. Even in the picture, it looks like Tony blocks it.

Capel with the ill-advised behind-the-back pass is what I will always remember about that game.

jacone21
01-10-2013, 12:29 PM

Brutal. Just Brutal. I think now I'll go look at some pictures of some girls that broke up with me.

CrazyNotCrazie
01-10-2013, 12:49 PM

Out of curiosity, I checked Thurman's Wiki page to see what he has done since he broke all of our hearts. His career has taken him all over the world, and according to the reputable sources at Wikipedia, "He is also the best player in the history who ever played in Macedonian First League." As a second-generation Macedonian-American, I am curious to get Todd Zafirovski's take on that bold statement.

budwom
01-10-2013, 01:03 PM
I'm pretty sure Lee was Gary's nephew. Bill, from Villanova and the NBA, was Lee's Dad.

nyet. Gary is Lee's dad. Bill is the uncle.

AtlDuke72
01-10-2013, 01:04 PM

Gary was Lee's Dad. Gary, who was a great player at Duke, also played in the NBA for Phoenix before returning to Duke to go to law school. He went on to be President of the Duke Alumni Association. My daughter, who was an undergrad, was working at the Reunion while Lee was being recruited. UNC was also recruiting Lee - she heard Gary say that it "ain't gonna happen" !

rolm
01-10-2013, 01:06 PM
...as the 99 and 2004 loses. The 94 team over achieved and exceeded expectations. Although I was disappointed that we didn't win it when we came so close, it comes no where close to the heart break from the '99 (finals) and 2004 (semis) and that too to Ucon. Now those were truly devestating. I for one will never forgive the referees for the 2004 loss.

Jim3k
01-10-2013, 01:32 PM
nyet. Gary is Lee's dad. Bill is the uncle.

Correction accepted. Mea Culpa.

nyesq83
01-10-2013, 03:20 PM
After suffering through two 10-win seasons, and getting back to the final four after 8 years, we thought there was no way we could lose that game.

And who knew what would happen from 1987 on...