PDA

View Full Version : Potential QB transfer

Seattledukie
01-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Jacoby Brissett, who was the #2 QB at Florida this season has decided to transfer. He's listing Duke as one of his schools. I watched the kid play and he's the real deal.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20130106/ARTICLES/130109778

Duke09
01-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Miami recruited him hard in Golden's first season. He could be a good fit with Duke's team.

Jacoby Brissett, who was the #2 QB at Florida this season has decided to transfer. He's listing Duke as one of his schools. I watched the kid play and he's the real deal.

johnb
01-07-2013, 02:59 PM

He'd have to compete for time everywhere--including at Duke--but if he is as good as his resume, then I'd guess he could be spectacular under Coach Cut.

DukeBlueNikeShox
01-07-2013, 04:54 PM

His press conference to announce his decision to attend Florida was classic! It's supposed to be the happiest day of your life...and your mom is sitting behind you crying. She wanted him to go to Miami because she didn't like the Florida coaches and thought it was a bad fit for her son. After he announced, she hugged him, but was crying and told him that he was making a mistake.

Turns out, Mama is always right. Listen to Mama!

Indoor66
01-07-2013, 06:21 PM
His press conference to announce his decision to attend Florida was classic! It's supposed to be the happiest day of your life...and your mom is sitting behind you crying. She wanted him to go to Miami because she didn't like the Florida coaches and thought it was a bad fit for her son. After he announced, she hugged him, but was crying and told him that he was making a mistake.

If Mama ain't happy, nobody's happy.

Jim3k
01-07-2013, 07:29 PM

Mama wanted Miami, but Miami is not on his current list. CBS Sports Story (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21508670/jacoby-brissett-transferring-from-florida). They list: West Virginia, Louisville, Arkansas, Duke and North Carolina State.

So what does Mama want, now?

OldPhiKap
01-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Mama wanted Miami, but Miami is not on his current list. CBS Sports Story (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21508670/jacoby-brissett-transferring-from-florida). They list: West Virginia, Louisville, Arkansas, Duke and North Carolina State.

Mama may have
And Poppa may have
But God bless the child
Who goes To Duuuuuuuuke!

johnb
01-07-2013, 11:01 PM

Sports makes for an interesting college list. I wonder if anyone else in the history of Duke applications has pared it down to exactly that final 5?

matt1
01-07-2013, 11:59 PM
Sports makes for an interesting college list. I wonder if anyone else in the history of Duke applications has pared it down to exactly that final 5?

As someone who is currently going through the process of choosing a college, I get this humor. My top 5 includes Duke, but with four very different schools than his.

-bdbd
01-08-2013, 09:51 AM

Wondering what is the common thread... All but Ark are mid-Atlantic region, which seems odd for a kid from Ocala. Am surprised that Miami isn't on this list. Maybe it is schools who may have QB opportunities or whose coaches are known for strong QB development. At least two of the others are dealing with coaching changes, which seems to help Duke. We'll see. Would love to see his impact under Cut, in Royal Blue!

CameronBornAndBred
01-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Wondering what is the common thread... All but Ark are mid-Atlantic region, which seems odd for a kid from Ocala. Am surprised that Miami isn't on this list. Maybe it is schools who may have QB opportunities or whose coaches are known for strong QB development. At least two of the others are dealing with coaching changes, which seems to help Duke. We'll see. Would love to see his impact under Cut, in Royal Blue!
Well it's not "winning programs". Arkansas only won 4 games.

johnb
01-08-2013, 10:57 AM

In the last 15 years (since he started pre-K), Arkansas gone to 11 bowls and won 8+ games 9 times.

We better hope he's not looking for programs that have historically won more games than they've lost.

I'd guess he is--like most elite football players--looking at coaching staffs, opportunity for PT, the likelihood of a showcase for the NFL, and a team that will be competitive. I'd say that in the year 2013, Duke just might be his best choice, which--given our history--is impressive in itself.

CameronBornAndBred
01-08-2013, 11:30 AM
In the last 15 years (since he started pre-K), Arkansas gone to 11 bowls and won 8+ games 9 times.

We better hope he's not looking for programs that have historically won more games than they've lost.

I'd guess he is--like most elite football players--looking at coaching staffs, opportunity for PT, the likelihood of a showcase for the NFL, and a team that will be competitive. I'd say that in the year 2013, Duke just might be his best choice, which--given our history--is impressive in itself.
I know...i should have said "team" and not "program". My point was he listed a team that sucked last year, at least on paper.

ricks68
01-08-2013, 11:37 AM
As someone who is currently going through the process of choosing a college, I get this humor. My top 5 includes Duke, but with four very different schools than his.

Welcome to the board. I see that you just joined and that this is your first post. Here's hoping that you get accepted to the college that fits you best.

ricks

Duke09
01-08-2013, 12:18 PM
They are happy with Morris for the upcoming season and then have top ten QB Olsen for the future.

Olympic Fan
01-08-2013, 01:02 PM
I have to say that I'm not very excited about the prospect of this kid taking one of the last scholarships in this class. We have other -- more pressing needs.

Look at it this way. He's going to have to sit out next season.

He'll be a junior in 2014 when our QB depth chart will include two seniors (Boone and Connette), a sophomore (Thomas Sirk) and at least one freshman (Parker Boehme).

Yeah, it would be nice to add a junior to that chart, but unless the kid is a serious upgrade, I'd rather see the ship go to a DT or a LB.

I also happen to believe that Sirk is going to be a star -- a run/pass guy in the mold of Kapernick or Manziel (not saying he's as good as those two guys ... just style). I think adding Brisset in 2014 could seriously impact his development. I think he's the future of this proram -- sharing the job with Boone (and with Connette in some shart-yardage situations) and then being the fulltime starter in 2014-16.

Anyway, I think we are fine at QB for the near future. Now, tell me that a disgruntled Florida DT or LB wants to transfer ... then I'll get excited.

roywhite
01-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Anyway, I think we are fine at QB for the near future. Now, tell me that a disgruntled Florida DT or LB wants to transfer ... then I'll get excited.

Amen. Really need the help on the defensive side of the ball.

By the way, there has been a really good trend with some of the better academic BCS football schools.
Rice, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, and Stanford all had good seasons (varied results, but in general good for each compared to average) and won bowl games.
Let's hope Duke can continue to improve, also.

A-Tex Devil
01-08-2013, 02:57 PM
I know...i should have said "team" and not "program". My point was he listed a team that sucked last year, at least on paper.

Eh.... I think it's tough for any Duke fan to judge too harshly. Not sure Duke would have done any better with Arkansas' schedule.

Setting that aside, normally I'd say those are all schools that should have pretty aggressive passing spread attacks. At Arkansas, Bielema hired Chaney who was at Tennessee, so that offense won't look like Wiscy's at all. Ironically, NC State has Wiscy's old coordinator, so not sure what's up there.

I wonder if this dude was recruited by Wisconsin originally too?

Cutcliffe is certainly more pro-style, but also a QB guru, so I think the connection to Duke is obvious.

sagegrouse
01-08-2013, 03:21 PM

It should be a good place to coach -- only Div I program in the state and everyone supports the team. How did Arkansas end up with Bobby Petrino and his motorcycle (and his girlfriend)? And then follow that up with John L. Smith as the acting HC, who promptly filed for bankruptcy, owing over $25 million?

Bret Bielema of Wisconsin seems to be cut from a different bolt of cloth, although -- with his name -- I dunno.

sagegrouse

Indoor66
01-08-2013, 03:45 PM
How did Arkansas end up with Bobby Petrino and his motorcycle (and his girlfriend)? And then follow that up with John L. Smith as the acting HC, who promptly filed for bankruptcy, owing over $25 million? sagegrouse

That is an easy question to answer. It is Arkansas.

crote
01-08-2013, 07:08 PM
I wonder if this dude was recruited by Wisconsin originally too?

He was, and that seems to be why Arkansas is on his list now. He made an official visit to Wisconsin during his recruitment, so apparently he was pretty serious about the school. Bielema brought assistant Charlie Partridge with him to Arkansas, who has strong Florida recruiting ties. The Hogs also recently named Randy Shannon their linebackers coach, so that's another Florida connection currently in Fayetteville.

As an Arkansas fan and Duke fan, I'd like to see Brissett at either school. Still, to quote a Florida alum friend "He's transferring because he couldn't beat out Jeff Driskell. This is not a Cam Newton behind Timmy Tebow situation."