PDA

View Full Version : Wahoos beat the Heels, IC Melts Down

FerryFor50
01-06-2013, 09:37 PM
49-45 with 6:30 to play

cptnflash
01-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Bullock with a huge 3 to make it a one possession game at the final media timeout. He's UNC's best player by a mile. McAdoo getting more and more exposed every game - he's been awful in this one.

FerryFor50
01-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Bullock with a huge 3 to make it a one possession game at the final media timeout. He's UNC's best player by a mile. McAdoo getting more and more exposed every game - he's been awful in this one.

He's kind of soft. Should have entered the draft last year, because he's just costing himself money.

licc85
01-06-2013, 09:47 PM
He's kind of soft. Should have entered the draft last year, because he's just costing himself money.

He costed himself money when he decided to play for a horrible coach who can't change the style he plays to play to his best players' strengths. Roy can't do anything without a gifted point guard.

I went to the NCAAM page on ESPN to check on this game and couldn't find it on the scoreboard at the top of the page, and then I realized they only show teams in the top 25 in that space. hahaha :)

chaosmage
01-06-2013, 09:52 PM
Almost amusing, and yet sad all at once. With some of the people I've had to deal with in my time as a Duke fan, I have to say that reading the meltdown is fun :-)

cptnflash
01-06-2013, 09:52 PM
He costed himself money when he decided to play for a horrible coach who can't change the style he plays to play to his best players' strengths. Roy can't do anything without a gifted point guard.

I went to the NCAAM page on ESPN to check on this game and couldn't find it on the scoreboard at the top of the page, and then I realized they only show teams in the top 25 in that space. hahaha :)

UVa with a 7 point lead and the ball, just over a minute left. That should just about do it!

licc85
01-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Almost amusing, and yet sad all at once. With some of the people I've had to deal with in my time as a Duke fan, I have to say that reading the meltdown is fun :-)

Just went over there and took a look, I think this says it all:

"We get beat by 30 by Duke and State both games"

Even if we were terrible, I don't think I'd ever admit that. Wow.

They are also absolutely crushing their senior, Dexter Strickland. Ouch.

FerryFor50
01-06-2013, 09:58 PM

Apparently this game result is all Karl Hess's fault.

Les Grossman
01-06-2013, 09:59 PM
hahahaha:p

FerryFor50
01-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Insult to injury - down by 10 with 7 seconds, Tokoto has to shoot FTs.

cptnflash
01-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Wa-Hoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

sporthenry
Oof for UNC. UVa might be for real esp. with Evans getting healthier. Perhaps they'll supplant UNC at the top.

miramar
Carolina can't hit threes or free throws and UVa goes on a 10-1 run.

Carolina needs to cancel all away games for the rest of the season.

FerryFor50
01-06-2013, 10:01 PM
Also, what does it say about how down UNC is this year that UVA doesn't rush the court after their first home win against UNC in 5 tries?

licc85
01-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Also, what does it say about how down UNC is this year that UVA doesn't rush the court after their first home win against UNC in 5 tries?

Honestly, it would be kind of sad to see a team rush the court after beating a team outside the top 25. This wasn't an upset by any means.

chaosmage
01-06-2013, 10:03 PM

Probably because Daniel Ewing did not get a technical, Coach K's lack of scheduling away games (there is a whole thread about this), and therefore Jay Williams is the worst announcer ever.

Makes no sense to me either ;-)

FerryFor50
01-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Honestly, it would be kind of sad to see a team rush the court after beating a team outside the top 25. This wasn't an upset by any means.

I know. That was the point - UNC isn't a big win anymore.

arnie
01-06-2013, 10:04 PM
hahahaha:p

And nobody tries to rush the floor - beating the Holes ho hum

Ggallagher
01-06-2013, 10:05 PM

And Roy didn't even bother to pull his starters out of the gym to avoid a floor rush - guess even he knows they're not worthy of being rushed.
Isn't that nice? :)

loran16
For the record guys, this wasn't an upset. Virginia was favored by 3 in Vegas and by 5 in Pomeroy. And this is despite Pomeroy having UNC as a top 30 team.

UVA is for real guys - they're a good team and this was at home. And we play them in Charlottesville. So let's not mock the Heels just yet....well anymore than we normally do. If we're not careful, we'll fall to the Hoos as well.

FerryFor50
Probably because Daniel Ewing did not get a technical, Coach K's lack of scheduling away games (there is a whole thread about this), and therefore Jay Williams is the worst announcer ever.

Makes no sense to me either ;-)

I saw the away game thread, too. Along with a post about how none of the wins look all that impressive now. Heh.

FerryFor50
01-06-2013, 10:06 PM
For the record guys, this wasn't an upset. Virginia was favored by 3 in Vegas and by 5 in Pomeroy. And this is despite Pomeroy having UNC as a top 30 team.

UVA is for real guys - they're a good team and this was at home. And we play them in Charlottesville. So let's not mock the Heels just yet....well anymore than we normally do. If we're not careful, we'll fall to the Hoos as well.

Hole mocking is always fair game. :)

Reilly
01-06-2013, 10:07 PM
At least they finally kept a loss to single digits. So that's improvement.

Furniture
01-06-2013, 10:08 PM

I couldnt Find the game either and I had been questioning myself!!!!HAHA!
Thanks

Newton_14
01-06-2013, 10:08 PM
0 and 1 and having no fun. Well done Hoo's. DBR salutes you!

Let this be the first of many more conference losses for the cheaters from the dump on the hump.

cptnflash
01-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Weekends that start with a Duke win and end with a UNC loss are awesome. It doesn't even matter what happens in between!

FerryFor50
01-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Trifecta of dismay for UNC.

1. They lose to UVA
2. Jay Williams calls the game
3. Doh breaks down why they stink

UrinalCake
01-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Trifecta of dismay for UNC.

1. They lose to UVA
2. Jay Williams calls the game
3. Doh breaks down why they stink

This is awesome. Maybe ESPN could switch over to a UCLA game and get some quotes from LDII and the Wears about how the locker room chemistry is awful too.

OldPhiKap
01-06-2013, 10:44 PM
This is awesome. Maybe ESPN could switch over to a UCLA game and get some quotes from LDII and the Wears about how the locker room chemistry is awful too.

Do they hang NIT banners next to the Helms Trophy banners?

uh_no
01-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Do they hang NIT banners next to the Helms Trophy banners?

only for third place finishes

PSurprise
01-06-2013, 11:19 PM
With regards to Jay Bilas' announcing...

"Bilas calls at as he sees it. At times it seems that Jay tries overly hard to come across as pro-UNC and comes across as a blow-hard.

Jay. We suck. We know it. We know you know it too."

IC is ALWAYS there for a smile after a UNC loss. :D

throatybeard
01-07-2013, 12:14 AM
only for third place finishes

noworries
01-07-2013, 12:37 AM

which is certainly a load of trash, as unc didn't get whistled for a foul until under 5 minutes left in the first half...followed by a very loud sarcastic cheer...pretty happy to be at this one

noworries
01-07-2013, 12:38 AM

repeated announcements on the boards during time-outs and an army of security...

licc85
01-07-2013, 12:40 AM
With regards to Jay Bilas' announcing...

"Bilas calls at as he sees it. At times it seems that Jay tries overly hard to come across as pro-UNC and comes across as a blow-hard.

Jay. We suck. We know it. We know you know it too."

IC is ALWAYS there for a smile after a UNC loss. :D

Can we just have a dedicated thread where we post funny quotes from IC? I think everyone here would enjoy that.

gwlaw99
01-07-2013, 02:28 AM
I can't believe how fast they turn on their players, coach, and program. It's embarrassing.

tele
01-07-2013, 04:43 AM
Fun times in Hoo-ville!

TruBlu
01-07-2013, 06:03 AM
Some more UNC decals disappear from vehicles in the Walmart employee parking lots, and a few more UNC sweatshirts/baseball hats get pushed to the back of the single-wide closets. Life is good.

OldPhiKap
01-07-2013, 07:39 AM
Can we just have a dedicated thread where we post funny quotes from IC? I think everyone here would enjoy that.

My two favorite right now: the poll on whether their "sturggles" are due to bad coaching or bad players, and the discussion of whether they make the NCAA.

Not a lot of love for Roy this morning.

BD80
01-07-2013, 08:30 AM

Does Google have a translator for tar heel to English?

TKG
01-07-2013, 08:40 AM
Does Google have a translator for tar heel to English?

Would not a Tar Heel to Swahili to English translator be more appropriate? Just asking.........

killerleft
01-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Some more UNC decals disappear from vehicles in the Walmart employee parking lots, and a few more UNC sweatshirts/baseball hats get pushed to the back of the single-wide closets. Life is good.

I remember when there were Duke t-shirts in my single-wide closet. But your point is taken , very well.

UrinalCake
01-07-2013, 09:01 AM
I only caught the last few minutes of the game but some very telling comments on air by Jay Williams. He described how the Tar Heel players weren't communicating at all, they were each just standing around doing their own thing. No leadership whatsoever. The bench players were completely uninvolved as well. Now maybe this isn't entirely fair, as the game was essentially over at that point, but you better believe Coach K would have his guys playing hard up to the buzzer.

This combined with the "playing for stats" comment made by Bullock must have the Tar Heel faithful pretty worried about team chemistry.

miramar
01-07-2013, 09:06 AM
Would not a Tar Heel to Swahili to English translator be more appropriate? Just asking.........

We should ask Tyler. After all, he took Swahili three times and by now he probably reads it better than he does English.

timmy c
01-07-2013, 09:13 AM
0 and 1 and having no fun. Well done Hoo's. DBR salutes you!

Let this be the first of many more conference losses for the cheaters from the dump on the hump.

I hope you are right.

UNC’s next few games will be very revealing.

1/10 – Miami
UNC has several reasons to win this game: Miami is without Reggie Johnson and they are at home. Despite that, if they continue to demonstrate a lack of toughness, they’ll lose.

1/12 @ Florida St.
Both UNC and FSU have been underwhelming this year. This could be part 1 of the grudge match that determines who out-underperforms for the year.

1/19 Maryland
Maryland lost to a young Kentucky team to open their season. Since, they haven’t lost nor have they played anybody of major significance. Best wins: Northwestern, George Mason, and Stony Brook. Alex Len should put up some gaudy numbers against UNC’s front court. Will UNC have enough to counter?

Go 3-0 UVA loss looks like a typical tough road loss in conference. No worries for UNC.
Go 2-1 Probably enough to stay optimistic about a NCAA bid but more work to do.
Go 1-2 Hello bubble watch – Lunardi puts them on outside looking in.
Go 0-3 Go to IC forum, do not pass go, do not collect $200!

DonnyDevil
01-07-2013, 09:38 AM

If you do the whole twitter thing. I have a friend in Lexington who told me about @Dumb_UNC_Quotes on twitter. Points out ridiculous stuff on IC and other famous UNC thoughts.

Billy Dat
01-07-2013, 09:57 AM
They are also absolutely crushing their senior, Dexter Strickland. Ouch.

“I think it's a good pick for him I just hope that that system doesn't change who he is as a player." - Dexter Strickland on Kyrie Irving

How's the Carolina Way working out for you, Dex? You playing fast enough yet? Faster, faster, FASTER DAGGUMIT!!!!!!

BD80
01-07-2013, 01:18 PM

I think it has been well established that those in unc Swahili classes were never actually in Swahili classes - but there was no academic fraud found?

devildeac
01-07-2013, 02:49 PM
I think it has been well established that those in unc Swahili classes were never actually in Swahili classes - but there was no academic fraud found?

Governor Martin? Did you hack BD80's DBR account and start posting here?:rolleyes:;)

gumbomoop
01-07-2013, 03:11 PM
“I think it's a good pick for him I just hope that that system doesn't change who he is as a player." - Dexter Strickland on Kyrie Irving

How's the Carolina Way working out for you, Dex? You playing fast enough yet? Faster, faster, FASTER DAGGUMIT!!!!!!

A couple of years ago, at least half-seriously, Roy "blamed" Kyrie for Dexter's limitations as a PG. Until Kyrie transferred in to St. Patrick, Dex was to play PG his senior year there.

juise
01-07-2013, 03:17 PM
A couple of years ago, at least half-seriously, Roy "blamed" Kyrie for Dexter's limitations as a PG. Until Kyrie transferred in to St. Patrick, Dex was to play PG his senior year there.

Well, someone has to teach Dexter to play PG. If he didn't learn in high school, where is he supposed to learn? Where could he get this... coaching? Where, I ask you?!!?!?

OldPhiKap
01-07-2013, 03:23 PM
Well, someone has to teach Dexter to play PG. If he didn't learn in high school, where is he supposed to learn? Where could he get this... coaching? Where, I ask you?!!?!?

Quinn has been putting on clinics, maybe Dex aughta skip the next heel game and watch Duke.

Dev11
01-07-2013, 03:38 PM

Well Roy tried, but even by practice #54, Dexter just hadn't gotten it yet.

ScreechTDX1847
01-07-2013, 04:06 PM

Come on...you don't serously believe that. I thought Roy was just joking by the tone of the comment.

MChambers
01-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Come on...you don't serously believe that. I thought Roy was just joking by the tone of the comment.

When I read the comment, it sounded like Williams was serious, in the sense that he genuinely believed that Strickland not planning point guard his senior year in high school had slowed Strickland's development as a point guard. I don't think he truly blamed Irving, if that is what you are questioning.

So I agree that the comment was half serious (or perhaps half mental, in the Yogi Berra sense).

sporthenry
01-07-2013, 04:20 PM
When I read the comment, it sounded like Williams was serious, in the sense that he genuinely believed that Strickland not planning point guard his senior year in high school had slowed Strickland's development as a point guard. I don't think he truly blamed Irving, if that is what you are questioning.

So I agree that the comment was half serious (or perhaps half mental, in the Yogi Berra sense).

http://zagsblog.com/duke/why-roy-williams-is-mad-at-kyrie-irving/

“I’m really mad at Kyrie,” Williams said last week at the Peach Jam. “I don’t like Kyrie. I do laugh at that and say that with tongue in cheek.”

Williams was under the impression that Strickland would play the point his senior year at St. Patrick, but when Irving transferred in from Montclair (N.J.) Kimberley, he played the point and Strickland stayed at the two. The duo led the Celtics to the 2009 New Jersey Tournament of Champions title, their third in four years.

“[St. Patrick coach] Kevin Boyle was going to play Dexter at the point his senior year and Dexter’s never played the point and I thought that’s what he was going to be in college,” Williams said.

“Kyrie goes in and so no longer is Dexter playing the point cause Kyrie’s so great,” Williams added. “I already told Kyrie, ‘You really made me mad. You played the point so Dexter didn’t get to do that and then you went to Duke too so you really made me mad.’

Obviously, he isn't going to blame the kid and be angry at Kyrie. But I think it is safe to say he was disappointed and thought that Dex not playing the PG spot hurt his development. The irony is, the most recent Kyrie articles mentioned how Dex and MKG sort of stunted Kyrie in his Junior year b/c he was timid around them.

CharlestonDevil
01-07-2013, 04:24 PM
http://zagsblog.com/duke/why-roy-williams-is-mad-at-kyrie-irving/

Obviously, he isn't going to blame the kid and be angry at Kyrie. But I think it is safe to say he was disappointed and thought that Dex not playing the PG spot hurt his development. The irony is, the most recent Kyrie articles mentioned how Dex and MKG sort of stunted Kyrie in his Junior year b/c he was timid around them.

Roy throws his own players under the bus all the time. Who are we to say that he wouldn't throw opponents under the bus, particularly a Blue Devil who is a superior point guard in every way.

OldPhiKap
01-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Now there's a thread entitled "Why we need Larry Drew right now."

Roy is getting no love -- he either can't coach, or he recruits players that are uncoachable. Tough bind there.

Gonna be REALLY ugly if they lose to Miami at home.

hurleyfor3
01-07-2013, 05:16 PM
If you do the whole twitter thing. I have a friend in Lexington who told me about @Dumb_UNC_Quotes on twitter. Points out ridiculous stuff on IC and other famous UNC thoughts.

You mean to tell me twitter is actually good for something!?

A-Tex Devil
01-07-2013, 05:28 PM
My first reaction to UNC losing was, "So what?". It's a ACC road game, and the ACC is bad enough this year, unfortunately, that UNC should be able to sleep walk to the requisite 10-11 conference wins needed to make the tourney.

But (and maybe this has been covered before), the 4 teams Carolina only plays once in the new 18 game schedule are Wake, Clemson, BC and VaTech. That's probably the 3 worst teams in the conference, and the team, Va Tech, that is currently playing the worst in the conference. UNC gets all of the good teams twice. The schedule isn't helping them at all. I thought I'd find 10-11 easy conference wins on their schedule, and I couldn't do it.

blueduke59
01-07-2013, 06:07 PM
UNC doesn't look as sharp now that they have to attend class

-bdbd
01-07-2013, 07:23 PM
UNC doesn't look as sharp now that they have to attend class

Since WHEN??!

Furniture
01-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Posted yesterday
k is 10 times the "in game" coach that Roy is.
k would have never lost to Virginia with this team.
Roy is the better man but k is the better coach.

broccoflower
Posted: Today
RE: Bash me all you want..
Unfortunately k is 10 times better than every coach. Makes me sick.

Re: Bash me all you want..
I really wish we could see what K would do with this group of guys.

OldPhiKap
01-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Posted yesterday

broccoflower

Don't forget the ubiquitous "Dean would have won that game" meme.

cptnflash
01-07-2013, 07:32 PM
My first reaction to UNC losing was, "So what?". It's a ACC road game, and the ACC is bad enough this year, unfortunately, that UNC should be able to sleep walk to the requisite 10-11 conference wins needed to make the tourney.

But (and maybe this has been covered before), the 4 teams Carolina only plays once in the new 18 game schedule are Wake, Clemson, BC and VaTech. That's probably the 3 worst teams in the conference, and the team, Va Tech, that is currently playing the worst in the conference. UNC gets all of the good teams twice. The schedule isn't helping them at all. I thought I'd find 10-11 easy conference wins on their schedule, and I couldn't do it.

This is an under-appreciated factor. UNC has the toughest conference schedule of any team in the ACC. The first half is actually easier than the second half - if they don't make some serious progress in the next couple weeks, they'll be in real trouble come selection Sunday.

wilko
01-07-2013, 07:37 PM

Lets see...
The bench would be shortened to a 6.5 man rotation with no to little depth.
The "Big" would set screens.
Would play small ball.
Would move w/o the ball.
Would defend as though their lives depended on it.

Newton_14
01-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Lets see...
Would play small ball.
Would move w/o the ball.

And they would likely finish no worse than 2nd or third in the ACC. Roy is playing way too many players, and needs to abandon the 2 bigs lineup with this group to get his best players on the floor. A manager at work who is a UNC guy and IC Premium member always stops by to discuss games with me. He was disgusted this morning. He noted everything you mention above as things they need to do. Joel James and Tokoto need to sit and watch. McAdoo and Johnson need to rotate at the 5, and Bullock needs to play the 4 and be the focus point of the offense. With all their length and athletic ability, there is no reason they cannot be an above average defensive team, and the 3 Ball needs to be the theme of the offense as they need the extra points. He is really down on McAdoo as well. Called him soft, and said he has no low post game and cost himself millions by staying. I did not see the 2nd Half, but he said that UNC ran out to an 8 point lead quickly, then Roy starts subbing in players like crazy, and poof, the lead is gone like magic.

And lastly, their Shooting Guard needs to stop shooting the ball. Dexter needs to be a slasher.

If roy keeps playing 9 and 10 guys, and refuses to go small, I am not sure they can win enough games to make the tourney... I think they are in trouble.

FerryFor50
01-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Posted yesterday

broccoflower

I never have understood how unc fans think Huck is a "better man" than K. He's a jerk on his pressers and radio show after losses (or whenever questioned) and that whole "aw shucks" act is as fake as they come.

chaosmage
01-07-2013, 08:38 PM

If I remember correctly, there's a thread for that as well. I believe they are blaming K for their scheduling woes and taking the good schedule, leaving them the bad schedule.

Or some such absolving of responsibility.

gumbomoop
01-08-2013, 12:52 AM
Come on...you don't seriously believe that. I thought Roy was just joking by the tone of the comment.

Had I any sense, I'd let the solid responses by MChambers and sporthenry [posts 55 & 56] suffice. Lacking same, however, here's my response.

I'm serious that Roy was half-serious, so that while I do "blame" Roy for "blaming" Kyrie, I do not blame Roy for blaming Kyrie.

Kyrie is definitely to "blame." He's also indirectly to blame.

Roy is blameless.

Indoor66
01-08-2013, 07:32 AM
Had I any sense, I'd let the solid responses by MChambers and sporthenry [posts 55 & 56] suffice. Lacking same, however, here's my response.

I'm serious that Roy was half-serious, so that while I do "blame" Roy for "blaming" Kyrie, I do not blame Roy for blaming Kyrie.

Kyrie is definitely to "blame." He's also indirectly to blame.

Roy is blameless.

Always. As to the rest of the post: ????. :confused:

miramar
01-08-2013, 07:44 AM
Lets see...
Would play small ball.
Would move w/o the ball.

"You know, UCLA looks pretty good right about now."

BD80
01-08-2013, 08:45 AM
... Roy is blameless.

Clueless

Forrest
01-08-2013, 09:02 AM
Praising another football coach, Bear Bryant said "He could take his'n and beat your'n or he could take your'n and beat his'n."

If K had the UNC roster and Roy had the Duke roster - let's say, not just for a game, but for pre-season and in-season practice and a few warm-up games - could UNC-K beat Duke-Roy?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-08-2013, 09:11 AM
Praising another football coach, Bear Bryant said "He could take his'n and beat your'n or he could take your'n and beat his'n."

If K had the UNC roster and Roy had the Duke roster - let's say, not just for a game, but for pre-season and in-season practice and a few warm-up games - could UNC-K beat Duke-Roy?

Ooh, or better, could a K Coached UNC beat a K Coached Duke....

Uh, or something.

Go Duke!

RepoMan
01-08-2013, 09:14 AM

I may be wrong, but I think you got that backwards. Pretty sure Bum Philips said that about Bear Bryant. Great quote in any event.

roywhite
01-08-2013, 09:23 AM
However it is expressed, it appears Ole Roy is totally LOST when he doesn't have his usual lineup which includes talent and size in the post, and a very competent PG who can push the pace.

He tries to fit his system to the players no matter what their strengths and weaknesses.

This 2013 edition of the Heels is on shaky ground -- they could get it together and have a decent season, or they could go south and end up in the NIT.

Dukeblue91
01-08-2013, 09:33 AM
However it is expressed, it appears Ole Roy is totally LOST when he doesn't have his usual lineup which includes talent and size in the post, and a very competent PG who can push the pace.

He tries to fit his system to the players no matter what their strengths and weaknesses.

This 2013 edition of the Heels is on shaky ground -- they could get it together and have a decent season, or they could go south and end up in the NIT.

I'm voting by preference for NIT :D
Besides Duke winning all games, UNC having a losing season is second best in my book.
When Ol Roy doesn't have the talent he likes it really exposes his coaching abilities quit clearly.

sagegrouse
01-08-2013, 09:43 AM

Ooh, or better, could a K Coached UNC beat a K Coached Duke....

Uh, or something.

Go Duke!

I may be wrong, but I think you got that backwards. Pretty sure Bum Philips said that about Bear Bryant. Great quote in any event.

Sorry guys. Age rules. It was the Baron of Barlow Bend, Ala. -- Frank Howard -- long-time Clemson coach. Although it is just possible that Coach Howard (b. 1909) stole it from someone else, like his buddy Peahead Walker (b. 1899), Coach at Wake and later the Montreal Alouettes.

sagegrouse

nocilla
01-08-2013, 10:05 AM
I never have understood how unc fans think Huck is a "better man" than K. He's a jerk on his pressers and radio show after losses (or whenever questioned) and that whole "aw shucks" act is as fake as they come.

They still believe in the issue with Avery's mom, that K curses to much, and that K weaseled his way out of the Maggette issue. I also hear claims that K is arrogant and self-absorbed because he 'flaunts' his charitable work just to make himself look better. Which is all a bunch of crap, but we probably give Roy a harder rap than he deserves as well. A lot of people that claim one is a 'better man' than the other, have never actually met either one of them. All-in-all, I'm sure they are both decent men.

wilko
01-08-2013, 10:15 AM
When Ol Roy doesn't have the talent he likes it really exposes his coaching abilities quit clearly.
Most would comment on the typo - but I like the malaprop.

Matches
01-08-2013, 10:32 AM
They still believe in the issue with Avery's mom, that K curses to much, and that K weaseled his way out of the Maggette issue. I also hear claims that K is arrogant and self-absorbed because he 'flaunts' his charitable work just to make himself look better. Which is all a bunch of crap, but we probably give Roy a harder rap than he deserves as well. A lot of people that claim one is a 'better man' than the other, have never actually met either one of them. All-in-all, I'm sure they are both decent men.

For whatever it's worth, one of my best friends met and spoke for a good while with Roy at a Make-A-Wish gathering a few years ago. My buddy's a Duke alum and Tar Heel hater, but he came away with nothing but good things to say about Roy. Described him as a class act and a good guy.

IC like most MBs is prone to massive overreaction. This is not a vintage Heels team but they will be fine in a relatively weak ACC. They're just having 2010 flashbacks.

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-08-2013, 11:08 AM

Which guy would you be more comfortable depending on if the two of you were in a fox hole? No question in my mind AT ALL.
Love, Ima

Matches
01-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Which guy would you be more comfortable depending on if the two of you were in a fox hole? No question in my mind AT ALL.
Love, Ima

Tongue-in-cheek, they're both 60+ year old dudes - I think I'd rather have someone a little younger, preferably someone without an artificial hip or a history of fainting... :)

Now if we're talking blackjack, I'll take K every time....

oldnavy
01-08-2013, 03:31 PM
For whatever it's worth, one of my best friends met and spoke for a good while with Roy at a Make-A-Wish gathering a few years ago. My buddy's a Duke alum and Tar Heel hater, but he came away with nothing but good things to say about Roy. Described him as a class act and a good guy.

IC like most MBs is prone to massive overreaction. This is not a vintage Heels team but they will be fine in a relatively weak ACC. They're just having 2010 flashbacks.

I too have spoken with Roy Williams in person. He was nice enough, but is he a good guy? I suspect so, but really hard to say from a casual meeting.

However, he has had years of being in the public eye and I have never heard of him doing anything that would lead me to believe that he was anything other than a decent fellow. Of course he has had his moments which we have well chronicaled on the board, but really most of the stuff was minor and fun to pick on him about. I think his style is a bit "put on". He likes to play up the "mountain man" role at times.

My issues with Roy are primarily that he coaches UNC. That magnifies every minor flaw he has. As far as how good of a coach he is?? I do not think we will ever know. He even admits that he doesn't want to find out by trying to coach inferior talent!

Would I let my kid play for him? Absolutely. Would I rather my son play for K.... HECK YEA!!

OldPhiKap
01-08-2013, 03:47 PM
I too have spoken with Roy Williams in person. He was nice enough, but is he a good guy? I suspect so, but really hard to say from a casual meeting.

However, he has had years of being in the public eye and I have never heard of him doing anything that would lead me to believe that he was anything other than a decent fellow. Of course he has had his moments which we have well chronicaled on the board, but really most of the stuff was minor and fun to pick on him about. I think his style is a bit "put on". He likes to play up the "mountain man" role at times.

My issues with Roy are primarily that he coaches UNC. That magnifies every minor flaw he has. As far as how good of a coach he is?? I do not think we will ever know. He even admits that he doesn't want to find out by trying to coach inferior talent!

Would I let my kid play for him? Absolutely. Would I rather my son play for K.... HECK YEA!!

I still cannot look at your avatar without thinking of Young Frankenstein. Always makes my day.

Indoor66
01-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Would I let my kid play for him? Absolutely.

Honestly, I never thought you had such a flaw. :p

gus
01-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Honestly, I never thought you had such a flaw. :p

Well, at some point you have to let your kids make their own mistakes, right?

oldnavy
01-09-2013, 07:59 AM
Well, at some point you have to let your kids make their own mistakes, right?

Yep. It is hard to step back, but you have to do it.

There are some lines I would draw, not sure I would support him playing for Bob Huggins..... for example.

moonpie23
01-09-2013, 08:26 AM
do you think anthony davis's dad made a mistake letting him play for CAL?

Des Esseintes
01-09-2013, 08:36 AM
do you think anthony davis's dad made a mistake letting him play for CAL?

That's perhaps looking at it from the wrong end. After all, Davis is a transcendent talent. His addition alone would have seriously boosted the title chances of a number of teams. The freshmen at UK won a title with Calipari, but Davis or MKG could have gone elsewhere to a less skeezy program and swung the balance of power to that team. Just as a for example, take either of those guys from the Kentucky starting lineup and slide him into the KU starting lineup for the final. KU would almost certainly be the better team on paper at that point. And Self is not a walking ethics investigation. There are always choices, even when you want to win and make the Association.

JasonEvans
01-09-2013, 03:58 PM
If you want to see the real IC meltdown, the date to circle on your calendar is Jan 26th. That is the day they play over at NC State.

Tarheel fans are used to Duke being good. A victory over Duke is always a big deal and never easy to achieve. There is tremendous, albeit begrudging, respect for the two programs.

But, NC State -- the bastard stepchild of the Triangle -- well, they are supposed to roll over and die for UNC darn near every time they play. Last year, the Heels went 2-0 vs. NCSU winning the two games by more than 30 combined points. It was the exact same story in 2010-11. In 2009-10, the year the Heels were pretty bad, they still beat State by more than ten points both times they played. The Heels won exactly 5 ACC games that year... two against NC State.

As near as I can tell from my limited use of that google thingy, NC State hasn't won an ACC regular season game against the Heels since February 3, 2007. A span of 11 games. I imagine that if I went back even further I would find similar streaks of futility. I bet State has fewer than 5 wins against UNC over the past decade.

So, if the Heels wander into Raleigh on Saturday the 26th and get beat, it will be a beast of a whole different color to the UNC fans. This would be a loss to a rival that you almost never lose to. I predict carnage over at IC.

-Jason "Miami, FSU, Maryland, and Ga Tech come first for the Heels... will be interesting to see if they can get 3 wins out of that stretch before the Pack game" Evans

FerryFor50
01-09-2013, 04:11 PM
If you want to see the real IC meltdown, the date to circle on your calendar is Jan 26th. That is the day they play over at NC State.

Tarheel fans are used to Duke being good. A victory over Duke is always a big deal and never easy to achieve. There is tremendous, albeit begrudging, respect for the two programs.

But, NC State -- the bastard stepchild of the Triangle -- well, they are supposed to roll over and die for UNC darn near every time they play. Last year, the Heels went 2-0 vs. NCSU winning the two games by more than 30 combined points. It was the exact same story in 2010-11. In 2009-10, the year the Heels were pretty bad, they still beat State by more than ten points both times they played. The Heels won exactly 5 ACC games that year... two against NC State.

As near as I can tell from my limited use of that google thingy, NC State hasn't won an ACC regular season game against the Heels since February 3, 2007. A span of 11 games. I imagine that if I went back even further I would find similar streaks of futility. I bet State has fewer than 5 wins against UNC over the past decade.

So, if the Heels wander into Raleigh on Saturday the 26th and get beat, it will be a beast of a whole different color to the UNC fans. This would be a loss to a rival that you almost never lose to. I predict carnage over at IC.

-Jason "Miami, FSU, Maryland, and Ga Tech come first for the Heels... will be interesting to see if they can get 3 wins out of that stretch before the Pack game" Evans

See, the problem is... NCSU usually *does* roll over and die for UNC, even when they have capable teams. It's only Duke they play hard against. It sucks.

Hope they break that trend this year.

sporthenry
01-09-2013, 04:12 PM

Sadly, Clemson doesn't get to play at the Dean Dome. That would have seen a meltdown of epic proportions.

DukieInKansas
01-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Sadly, Clemson doesn't get to play at the Dean Dome. That would have seen a meltdown of epic proportions.

And an interesting run down Franklin by someone. :D

Duvall
01-09-2013, 05:30 PM

Nah, Clemson's meltdowns in Chapel Hill are usually pretty routine.

OldPhiKap
01-09-2013, 05:36 PM
And an interesting run down Franklin by someone. :D

I thought it also had something to do with the clock tower.

Newton_14
01-09-2013, 10:29 PM

As a local who has lived right here in the middle of this ACC triangle of schools for 46 years, I can tell you this is spot on Jason. They can stomach losses to Duke because they see us as a worthy advesary even though they hate us. They absolutely cannot stomach losing to NC State. It kills them. And for some reason, Roy Williams detests NC State at levels that go far beyond any animosity he may or may not have for Duke. One of his infamous Ol Roy stories last year was I believe the BB Gun story. He was actually at Kansas and this was the 8-20 year under Doherty where the UNC faithful sold most of their tickets to the NC State @UNC game to State fans. The nosedome was full of State Red that night and Ol Roy watched on TV and was livid to see that many State fans in "His House". He would have shot them all with his Daisy BB Gun given the chance...

Should the Heels drop one or God forbid both games to State this year, IC might actually crash and smoke all the servers.. It will be a bad scene..;) I am praying for it to happen!!

BD80
01-10-2013, 07:42 AM
I thought it also had something to do with the clock tower.

In this scenario, "Big Ben" would not be a clock in a tower ...

El_Diablo
01-10-2013, 07:43 AM

13 straight games, actually, according to Barry Jacobs (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=46219).

roywhite
01-10-2013, 07:49 AM
As a local who has lived right here in the middle of this ACC triangle of schools for 46 years, I can tell you this is spot on Jason. They can stomach losses to Duke because they see us as a worthy advesary even though they hate us. They absolutely cannot stomach losing to NC State. It kills them. And for some reason, Roy Williams detests NC State at levels that go far beyond any animosity he may or may not have for Duke. One of his infamous Ol Roy stories last year was I believe the BB Gun story. He was actually at Kansas and this was the 8-20 year under Doherty where the UNC faithful sold most of their tickets to the NC State @UNC game to State fans. The nosedome was full of State Red that night and Ol Roy watched on TV and was livid to see that many State fans in "His House". He would have shot them all with his Daisy BB Gun given the chance...

Should the Heels drop one or God forbid both games to State this year, IC might actually crash and smoke all the servers.. It will be a bad scene..;) I am praying for it to happen!!

Good points. Ole Roy graduated from UNC in 1972 and then went on to coach high school ball before returning to UNC in 1978. I've read accounts that he particularly disliked the NC State fans and attitudes during the David Thompson era, couldn't stand the way they knocked the Heels out of the top perch in the league and in the state for a few years.

cptnflash
01-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Heels down 1 at home to Miami in the second half... could be staring at an 0-2 ACC start with their next game in Tallahassee against the surpringly 2-0 Seminoles.

cptnflash
01-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Miami up 9 with 3 minutes left! Let's go Canes! Don't blow it, guys!

neuro
01-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Heels down 1 at home to Miami in the second half... could be staring at an 0-2 ACC start with their next game in Tallahassee against the surpringly 2-0 Seminoles.

13-3 run. Miami up 9 with 3 to go. Do we need to have another "IC meltdown vigil"?

Des Esseintes
01-10-2013, 08:48 PM
13-3 run. Miami up 9 with 3 to go. Do we need to have another "IC meltdown vigil"?

2013, looking up. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63-fzw52XBk)

Native
01-10-2013, 08:49 PM
The 'Canes finish the job. Miami wins 68-59.