PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Clemson Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Mistamassy
01-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Hi folks! I'm new to the board. Actually, I've been reading for a long time and need to start contributing. I'm from MN and have been a Duke fan for 25 years. Today, my fiance drove me to her mothers to "help her move stuff" and we got dropped at the airport as a surprise to come to Cameron on Tuesday!!! GO DUKE!!!!!!!

OldPhiKap
01-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Hi folks! I'm new to the board. Actually, I've been reading for a long time and need to start contributing. I'm from MN and have been a Duke fan for 25 years. Today, my fiance drove me to her mothers to "help her move stuff" and we got dropped at the airport as a surprise to come to Cameron on Tuesday!!! GO DUKE!!!!!!!

Congrats, have a great time and bring us home a victory!

I have not seen Clemson play yet, but glad we have them at home. The renovated Littlejohn is a tough environment.

Bob Green
01-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Welcome to the board! I'm sure you will have a great time inside Cameron cheering the team to victory.

DevilOfATime
01-06-2013, 08:40 PM
My DirecTV guide and DBR said its 7 pm. I am watching the Cryolina VS VA game and Espn has the game at 9 pm on ESPNU on the previews. I am confused now. Is it 7 pm or 9 pm? DirecTV still has the autotuned set to turn the channel to ESPNU at 7 pm on Tuesday night.

mike88
01-06-2013, 08:42 PM
What is the game time Tuesday? DBR says 7 pm but ESPNU has an ad saying 9pm.

Newton_14
01-06-2013, 08:44 PM
My DirecTV guide and DBR said its 7 pm. I am watching the Cryolina VS VA game and Espn has the game at 9 pm on ESPNU. I am confused now. Is it 7 pm or 9 pm?

The Clemson game is at 7pm.

DevilOfATime
01-06-2013, 08:46 PM
The Clemson game is at 7pm.

Thanks that is what I thought. I did not want to miss it.

Newton_14
01-06-2013, 08:47 PM
What is the game time Tuesday? DBR says 7 pm but ESPNU has an ad saying 9pm.

The game is at 7pm. That's what's on the ticket anyway...

sagegrouse
01-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Even ESPN (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/scoreboard?date=20130108&breakdown=top25) says it is 7PM EST.

sagegrouse

DevilOfATime
01-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Someone must be sleeping at the wheel over at ESPN U! They need to get that corrected and quit showing the previews that Duke has the late game and the Pitt and Georgetown game at 7 pm.

superdave
01-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Clemson is 8-5 overall. 0-1 in the conference, losing to FSU.

They are #83 in the KenPommer, #129 in AdjO and #52 in AdjD, so it appears they have a solid defense. They are only giving up 56.2 ppg on 39.6% fg defense. They are +3.54 in the TO margin, and are getting 8.3 steals per game. So it appears they are a team that keeps the pace slow and tries to crank up the defense. This Duke team ought to be able to outscore them considering our offensive abilities. But it will be interesting if Clemson plays physical d similar to what we;ve seen the last few games. I would assume so, not only against our bigs but against our guards as well, pushing our offense a step or two further out.

I think we'll win, but will have to grind out some possessions and stay disciplined in our offense.

COYS
01-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Clemson is 8-5 overall. 0-1 in the conference, losing to FSU.

They are #83 in the KenPommer, #129 in AdjO and #52 in AdjD, so it appears they have a solid defense. They are only giving up 56.2 ppg on 39.6% fg defense. They are +3.54 in the TO margin, and are getting 8.3 steals per game. So it appears they are a team that keeps the pace slow and tries to crank up the defense. This Duke team ought to be able to outscore them considering our offensive abilities. But it will be interesting if Clemson plays physical d similar to what we;ve seen the last few games. I would assume so, not only against our bigs but against our guards as well, pushing our offense a step or two further out.

I think we'll win, but will have to grind out some possessions and stay disciplined in our offense.

I hope that the focus on the offensive end for this game is getting Mason going early. It's hard to call the gritty double double he had against Wake a "bad" game, but that game combined with the Davidson game have definitely been below average performances for Mason this season. I think that both Davidson and Wake determined to to double Mason and play as physically as possible, regardless of foul situation, in the hopes that they could frustrate him. To a certain extent, I think both teams were at least somewhat successful. In both games, Mason missed a few shots you expect him to make. While he gutted it out and still put in a solid performance, I think he's going to have to get used to the idea of being a marked man. I'm hoping Clemson plays him just as tough, but that he's able to make a few adjustments to get back to his NPOY-worthy scoring numbers. It's worth noting that he would've made it to his season scoring average with better foul shooting against Wake, so foul shooting is another thing to keep an eye on.

I think we'd all also like to see Rasheed hit some more shots. He's not letting his shooting slump affect his overall play, but there's when he's driving and finishing and hitting open threes, Duke's offense is (arguably) the best in the land.

Monmouth77
01-07-2013, 03:14 PM
I hope that the focus on the offensive end for this game is getting Mason going early. It's hard to call the gritty double double he had against Wake a "bad" game, but that game combined with the Davidson game have definitely been below average performances for Mason this season. I think that both Davidson and Wake determined to to double Mason and play as physically as possible, regardless of foul situation, in the hopes that they could frustrate him. To a certain extent, I think both teams were at least somewhat successful. In both games, Mason missed a few shots you expect him to make. While he gutted it out and still put in a solid performance, I think he's going to have to get used to the idea of being a marked man. I'm hoping Clemson plays him just as tough, but that he's able to make a few adjustments to get back to his NPOY-worthy scoring numbers. It's worth noting that he would've made it to his season scoring average with better foul shooting against Wake, so foul shooting is another thing to keep an eye on.

I think we'd all also like to see Rasheed hit some more shots. He's not letting his shooting slump affect his overall play, but there's when he's driving and finishing and hitting open threes, Duke's offense is (arguably) the best in the land.

In terms of responding to physical play, one thing I've observed the past two games is that our guys have left a good handful of easy baskets on the floor by laying shots off the rim that would ordinarily be dunks or made layups. Some of this may be a lack of concentration or post-holiday rust, which would account for Tyler and Rasheed and others who have failed to turn fast breaks into points in one-on-one situations.

But, during both games, it looked to me like some of the shots left short were taken to avoid contact (think of some of Mason's fallaway hooks in the paint, or drives by Rasheed or Seth or Quinn where our guys short armed floaters instead of drawing contact).

Towards the end of the Wake game, I feel we were finishing better through contact or at least getting to the line, but it's something to watch-- along with free throw % which has been sub-optimal.

elvis14
01-07-2013, 03:22 PM
A friend of mine purchased tickets through Iron Dukes to the Clemson game. If I have this right, these are general admission tickets. I'm assuming that means we'll be standing on the bleachers with the Crazies. I'm looking forward to that. How are these tickets handled before the game? Are the students let in and then the rest of us or are we mixed in with the students? I'm trying to figure out what time to arrive for the game to get in line. Anyone know the deal?

Marc81
01-07-2013, 05:07 PM
A friend of mine purchased tickets through Iron Dukes to the Clemson game. If I have this right, these are general admission tickets. I'm assuming that means we'll be standing on the bleachers with the Crazies. I'm looking forward to that. How are these tickets handled before the game? Are the students let in and then the rest of us or are we mixed in with the students? I'm trying to figure out what time to arrive for the game to get in line. Anyone know the deal?

If they say section 17 they should be in the student section. General admission may be the same. My wife and I went to a game in that section a few years ago. The way it worked when we were there is someone told us we had to stand in the last two or so rows. They seemed to save the front for students. I would still get there early so you can sit as close to center court as you can get. I believe when we went they had a line for those seats at the back of Cameron indoor or the opposite side of krzyzewskiville. You are in for a fun time!

cptnflash
01-07-2013, 07:41 PM
On paper, this should be an easy win for us. Pomeroy has us by 19, and I imagine the Vegas line with be a point or two less than that but not much. They are strong inside with Devin Booker and Milton Jennings, who as a 6-9 stretch 4 should be matched up fairly well with Ryan (Jennings has made 43.6% of his 3's so far this year, albeit in a fairly small sample). But Clemson is somewhat weak and definitely inexperienced on the perimeter, where they feature a rotating case of largely interchangeable freshmen and sophomores. They tend to play pressure D and are fairly good at forcing turnovers, but nowhere near the level of VCU and Louisville, both of whom we handled quite well in that regard. Rebounding could be a challenge once again - Clemson is decent but not great overall, but Booker can certainly go get 'em. It will be fun to watch the battle between him and Mason.

Everything points to this being a tough, physical ACC game, in which we will eventually grind out a 15+ point margin. Let's go Duke!

elvis14
01-07-2013, 08:20 PM
If they say section 17 they should be in the student section. General admission may be the same. My wife and I went to a game in that section a few years ago. The way it worked when we were there is someone told us we had to stand in the last two or so rows. They seemed to save the front for students. I would still get there early so you can sit as close to center court as you can get. I believe when we went they had a line for those seats at the back of Cameron indoor or the opposite side of krzyzewskiville. You are in for a fun time!

Thanks for the response. We don't have an issue getting there early but what's "early"? 5pm? Also, what time to they usually open the doors?

Newton_14
01-07-2013, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the response. We don't have an issue getting there early but what's "early"? 5pm? Also, what time to they usually open the doors?

You will have to pick up your tickets at Will Call which opens 1 hour prior to the game. By the time the line for Grad Students and GA seats will be long. You will have to go in behind the grad students. If your ticket is in Section 17 you can expect to be standing near one of the baselines. If your tickets are for Section 19 padded seats you will be on the side with the teams and will sit somewhere between behind the Clemson bench and behind the Duke bench.

elvis14
01-07-2013, 08:48 PM
You will have to pick up your tickets at Will Call which opens 1 hour prior to the game. By the time the line for Grad Students and GA seats will be long. You will have to go in behind the grad students. If your ticket is in Section 17 you can expect to be standing near one of the baselines. If your tickets are for Section 19 padded seats you will be on the side with the teams and will sit somewhere between behind the Clemson bench and behind the Duke bench.

I have the tickets in hand and they are for section 17. Will we have to get in line behind the grad students or are you just saying that if we get there at 6:00 we'll be at the back of a long line that will include both Grad Students and those of us with GA (section 17) tickets?

pamtar
01-07-2013, 09:13 PM
I have the tickets in hand and they are for section 17. Will we have to get in line behind the grad students or are you just saying that if we get there at 6:00 we'll be at the back of a long line that will include both Grad Students and those of us with GA (section 17) tickets?

I'll be joining you in Sec 17 tomorrow! Every time I've sat there I've arrived right around game time and usually found a spot near the middle. You just have to find a gap and then politely squeeze your way in there. I think I even asked an usher the first time and he said it was OK. However, I've only ever sat up top for ACC games so it may be a bit more congested tomorrow. Ill save you a spot if you save me a spot;)

Also, for others in the know, I'm bringing a friend who has never been to CIS so he may want to get there early and wait in line for a good seat. If someone in said line was nursing a big gulp cup full of Coca-Cola and maker's mark would that be a problem?

uh_no
01-07-2013, 09:25 PM
I'll be joining you in Sec 17 tomorrow! Every time I've sat there I've arrived right around game time and usually found a spot near the middle. You just have to find a gap and then politely squeeze your way in there. I think I even asked an usher the first time and he said it was OK. However, I've only ever sat up top for ACC games so it may be a bit more congested tomorrow. Ill save you a spot if you save me a spot;)

Also, for others in the know, I'm bringing a friend who has never been to CIS so he may want to get there early and wait in line for a good seat. If someone in said line was nursing a big gulp cup full of Coca-Cola and maker's mark would that be a problem?

for a regular game, yeah....but you might want to be careful as there are probably more families there and the like

lets just say it depends on the ratio of said liquids

elvis14
01-07-2013, 09:37 PM

There's 3 of us, so if you could snake your way to the front and clear about 10 feet of space, I'll be the guy wearing the blue Duke shirt! ;)

pamtar
01-07-2013, 09:37 PM
for a regular game, yeah....but you might want to be careful as there are probably more families there and the like

lets just say it depends on the ratio of said liquids

Thanks. Not planning on getting crazy, just an airplane bottle or two to kill the time. ;)

-jk
01-07-2013, 09:46 PM
...If someone in said line was nursing a big gulp cup full of Coca-Cola and maker's mark would that be a problem?

I think that makes you eligible to join the Iron Dukes.

-jk

pamtar
01-07-2013, 09:52 PM
I think that makes you eligible to join the Iron Dukes.

Hahaha! Ima try to get my dues back then!

There's 3 of us, so if you could snake your way to the front and clear about 10 feet of space, I'll be the guy wearing the blue Duke shirt! ;)

Sounds like a plan! :D

Native
01-07-2013, 11:10 PM

We let in undergraduates an hour and a half before tip-off (5:30), which is a half-hour before general admission doors open an hour before tip (6PM). The first rows in the center are generally reserved for undergraduate students for games like this; this area will most likely be marked off with either blue masking tape or yellow caution tape tomorrow evening. Please do your best to stay behind the tape until game time so that undergraduates can get into the section; if students don't fill the area once the game has started, feel free to squish on down and get as close as you like! Also, I'm sure I don't have to tell you this, but make sure your friend knows to CHEER! The louder, the better.

By the way, come say Hi! I'm the Line Monitor wearing the black Mason Jersey, LM jacket, bright blue Nike basketball shoes and a blue Duke scarf. I may or may not be wearing sunglasses and holding a [large, blind rubber chicken/whiteboard]. Always like talking to fellow DBR members.

With regards to your question, you should be fine. :cool:

Go Duke!

pamtar
01-08-2013, 10:31 AM
We let in undergraduates an hour and a half before tip-off (5:30), which is a half-hour before general admission doors open an hour before tip (6PM). The first rows in the center are generally reserved for undergraduate students for games like this; this area will most likely be marked off with either blue masking tape or yellow caution tape tomorrow evening. Please do your best to stay behind the tape until game time so that undergraduates can get into the section; if students don't fill the area once the game has started, feel free to squish on down and get as close as you like! Also, I'm sure I don't have to tell you this, but make sure your friend knows to CHEER! The louder, the better.

By the way, come say Hi! I'm the Line Monitor wearing the black Mason Jersey, LM jacket, bright blue Nike basketball shoes and a blue Duke scarf. I may or may not be wearing sunglasses and holding a [large, blind rubber chicken/whiteboard]. Always like talking to fellow DBR members.

With regards to your question, you should be fine. :cool:

Go Duke!

Thanks for the info Native! My friend is a NCSU grad but has been begging me to get him into CIS for a while now. I made him promise to actively root for the home team and not just stand there and take up space. If he doesn't, I'm gonna call him out in front of everybody!

We'll probably be there around six so I'll definitely keep a look out for you! Go Duke!

watzone
01-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Tommy previews Duke vs Clemson http://bluedevilnation.net/2013/01/preview-duke-vs-clemson/

The Tigers look more like a lamb to me. They'll try to get physical but I expect Duke will be ready to go and not looking ahead to the high noon showdown with N.C. State.

Klemnop
01-08-2013, 12:17 PM
Tommy previews Duke vs Clemson http://bluedevilnation.net/2013/01/preview-duke-vs-clemson/

The Tigers look more like a lamb to me. They'll try to get physical but I expect Duke will be ready to go and not looking ahead to the high noon showdown with N.C. State.

I don't expect Clemson can mount much of a challenge. The team is very young, overall, and the experience (as pointed out in the DBR Front Page article) just hasn't lived up to expectations. Still, a few things to watch for:

The best emerging Frosh is Jordan Roper. He may be 5'10" if we're generous but he has great elevation on his jump shot and is Clemson's fastest/quickest player. They are, figuratively, big shoes to fill...but he is drawing comparisons to beloved former G Terrell McIntyre.

KJ McDaniels (So.) is "athletic" - which means if he gets a lane to the rim for either a dunk, put-bak or alley-oop he's going to finish the play in spectacular fashion. He's developing an outside shot to compliment that skill and isn't afraid to try a dribble-drive. He's fearless on the borderline of reckless.

Adonis Filer is the other Frosh of note, also a G/Wing. He's an unusual Clemson recruiting target coming from Chicago (take THAT, Oliver Purnell!) He looks the part, physically, and plays without fear but he's still learning how to translate that lack of fearlessness into smart plays. Ultimately a backcourt of Filer and Roper is going to be really tough for most teams to handle. But probably not tonight.

Otherwise, as everyone knows, Clemson hangs its hat on Defense. Which can be lock-down good against even highly-skilled opposition (see Gonzaga and Arizona). But it can also be exploited by inferior teams (Coastal Carolina, Purdue) - which inconsistency is a by-product of the heavy reliance on Fr. and So.

Clemson's only hope of hanging in the game is to put together their "A" Game on defense and hope to get a miracle night of outside shooting. Against lesser competition the Tigers look to make offense out of transition/early game - but Duke is far too athletic/skilled/well-coached to be exploited that way.

On the plus side, this should be the only calendar date for the Tigers and Devils this year! Which is excellent news if you are a Tiger fan.

Hope everyone is well. I still lurk a good bit. :)

Klem

jv001
01-08-2013, 12:27 PM
I don't expect Clemson can mount much of a challenge. The team is very young, overall, and the experience (as pointed out in the DBR Front Page article) just hasn't lived up to expectations. Still, a few things to watch for:

The best emerging Frosh is Jordan Roper. He may be 5'10" if we're generous but he has great elevation on his jump shot and is Clemson's fastest/quickest player. They are, figuratively, big shoes to fill...but he is drawing comparisons to beloved former G Terrell McIntyre.

KJ McDaniels (So.) is "athletic" - which means if he gets a lane to the rim for either a dunk, put-bak or alley-oop he's going to finish the play in spectacular fashion. He's developing an outside shot to compliment that skill and isn't afraid to try a dribble-drive. He's fearless on the borderline of reckless.

Adonis Filer is the other Frosh of note, also a G/Wing. He's an unusual Clemson recruiting target coming from Chicago (take THAT, Oliver Purnell!) He looks the part, physically, and plays without fear but he's still learning how to translate that lack of fearlessness into smart plays. Ultimately a backcourt of Filer and Roper is going to be really tough for most teams to handle. But probably not tonight.

Otherwise, as everyone knows, Clemson hangs its hat on Defense. Which can be lock-down good against even highly-skilled opposition (see Gonzaga and Arizona). But it can also be exploited by inferior teams (Coastal Carolina, Purdue) - which inconsistency is a by-product of the heavy reliance on Fr. and So.

Clemson's only hope of hanging in the game is to put together their "A" Game on defense and hope to get a miracle night of outside shooting. Against lesser competition the Tigers look to make offense out of transition/early game - but Duke is far too athletic/skilled/well-coached to be exploited that way.

On the plus side, this should be the only calendar date for the Tigers and Devils this year! Which is excellent news if you are a Tiger fan.

Hope everyone is well. I still lurk a good bit. :)

Klem

Good to hear from you Klem. Thanks for the information on your Tigers. One thing you can always count on is the Tigers play hard and tough. I hope both teams come out of this game healthy. God Bless and GoDuke!

roywhite
01-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Good to hear from you Klem. Thanks for the information on your Tigers. One thing you can always count on is the Tigers play hard and tough. I hope both teams come out of this game healthy. God Bless and GoDuke!

Agree...good to hear from Klem.

With the Heels struggling, Klem, I wondered if this might be the year that awful streak in Chapel Hill is broken. Sure enough, the schedule makers again smiled on a vulnerable Heels team; the only UNC/Clemson meeting is in Tiger-Town. Maybe one of these years....:)

superdave
01-08-2013, 01:28 PM
I don't expect Clemson can mount much of a challenge. The team is very young, overall, and the experience (as pointed out in the DBR Front Page article) just hasn't lived up to expectations.

Klem

Klem

How do all these young kids project the next few years? Is this a foundation for a winner going forward with Brownell?

Dave

Indoor66
01-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Agree...good to hear from Klem.

With the Heels struggling, Klem, I wondered if this might be the year that awful streak in Chapel Hill is broken. Sure enough, the schedule makers again smiled on a vulnerable Heels team; the only UNC/Clemson meeting is in Tiger-Town. Maybe one of these years....:)

Hey, Klem. glad to see you in the neighborhood. Serious question for you: If they do break the streak this year are you going to go all Ray Stevens on Franklin Street?

1 24 90
01-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Tonight will be the first time this season we get to listen to Len Elmore's excellent commentary. :(

Klemnop
01-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Hey, Klem. glad to see you in the neighborhood. Serious question for you: If they do break the streak this year are you going to go all Ray Stevens on Franklin Street?

As mentioned above the unbalanced schedule frowns on us: no trip for Clemson to Chapel Hill

That said, should the streak ever be broken, yes, I intend to do the deed.

That said, I would have never made the promise if I thought there was even a remote chance that the streak would ever be broken. It won't. This year is a perfect example of Cosmic Karma keeping the Universe in order. When Carolina is down...Clemson does not play them in Chapel Hill. I don't resent this - I respect it as part of The Grand Design.

Indoor66
01-08-2013, 03:43 PM
As mentioned above the unbalanced schedule frowns on us: no trip for Clemson to Chapel Hill

That said, should the streak ever be broken, yes, I intend to do the deed.

That said, I would have never made the promise if I thought there was even a remote chance that the streak would ever be broken. It won't. This year is a perfect example of Cosmic Karma keeping the Universe in order. When Carolina is down...Clemson does not play them in Chapel Hill. I don't resent this - I respect it as part of The Grand Design.

This a travesty visited upon us by the basketball Gods. It has been said, thus it must happen: This Will Not Stand. :cool:

moonpie23
01-08-2013, 04:01 PM
you have to be careful in chapel hill...

let me just say, that, riding down franklin street with your head out the moonroof shouting drunkenly "HOW BOUT DEM HEELS?" (post kansas final 4 game 08) could possibly get you into some trouble with the chapel hill police.....I'm not saying i ever DID that, i'm just saying that sometimes a chapel hill attorney is a good thing to know....

not that i would ever DO such a thing (allegedly)

Klemnop
01-08-2013, 04:41 PM
Klem

How do all these young kids project the next few years? Is this a foundation for a winner going forward with Brownell?

Dave

I'd like to think so. There is certainly a clear demarcation between Purnell's kids and Brownell's kids...and Brownell's kids are only in their first and second years. (Note that there is not a single Junior on the Clemson roster.)

Purnell won with athletes who pressed while also getting lucky on a couple of diamond-in-the-rough recruiting hits (KC Rivers, Trevor Booker, Cliff Hammonds). But at the end of the day (or season, more accurately) that style wasn't conducive to winning tournaments. Even the year that Clemson advanced to the ACC Tourney Finals the team, by Purnell's own admission afterwards, was so worn out that they weren't ready to maintain when the NCAAs started.

Brownell is doing something completely different, recruiting "basketball players" and teaching them the system. More specifically - teaching them how to play half-court defense and run motion offense. In theory these are principles that take some time to root. And the fruits of the lessons may not be picked in just a few months. So I expect that, regardless the talent level of the team, that ultimately Clemson will have sustained success just through having players that are mature in the system.

Clemson deseperately needs to add a skilled big man to the current group to be able to take the next step. There's quality and quantity at the Guard/Wing positions. Enough that a legitimate ACC backcourt is developing. But there's not a post player after Devin Booker leaves anywhere close to being ready.

Unfortunately the talent level is well under ACC standards...and the ACC standard is increasing with hte newest league members, not regressing. At some point Clemson is going to need to start picking up the occasional flesh-and-blood Top 50 caliber player to remain competitive in the league. This is not happening - and if there is one thing that will derail Brownell at Clemson it will be an inability to recruit a big time player or two to be part of the mix. Wether that will be Clemson letting go of Brownell or Brownell moving on to greener pastures, who knows? But I fear that the patience, on one side or another, will wear thin before too long.

Interestingly, Clemson's new AD is Dan Radakovich - who spearheaded the massive upgrades to Hoops facilities at GT. While Littlejohn remains a difficult place for opposing teams to play (when the fans show up and are interested) it is still a 1970's venue with some bad makeup covering its long-standing scars. Still today there is not a dedicated full-court practice facility for basketball (which is a real issue when Littlejohn is in use for some other function as it frequently is during basketball season) there is no showplace to bring recruits and demonstrate Clemson's commitment to being a basketball power. So we'll see how high a priority Radakovich places on upgrades and if that can level theplaying field for Clemson in recruiting. Brownell, or any other coach, is seriously hamstrung by the current situation.

The buzz among people who know is that Clemson, going back through Barnes and Shyatt and Purnell and, now, Brownell has refused to play the AAU game. I'm not informed enough to know what the real impact of that is but I suppose I take some solace that if Clemson isn't having ultimate success it's because they've chosen to do things "the right way". Maybe that's an easy excuse? However it is worth noting that the guy Brownell ultimately hired to replace Ricky Ray (Miss St.) this past summer (after James Johnson re-took the lead job at VaTech) was Steve Smith - who had developed an exceptional reputation in the SouthEast AAU circuits while somehow managing to keep his nose clean at the same time. If Smith is able to help Clemson land an elite prospect or two I have terrific confidence that Brownell can coach them up along with the core of good-but-not-great complementary players currently on-campus to be a team to be reckoned with.

As always the bottom line at Clemson is that football is king. Even today, into real ACC play, the articles and posts on the main message boards are all about football recruiting, end-of-season rankings and projecting where next year's team will be ranked. 1 in 10 mentions is about basketball - an afterthought of an afterthought.

Klem

mattman91
01-08-2013, 06:44 PM
Due to conflicting TV schedules with the lady friend, I will not be able to view the second half of the game tonight on TV so I will be forced to stream it online. Now normally Duke basketball would trump anything else on TV but an exception has to be made tonight because she bought me an Awesome Duke t-shirt and bottle opener. Anyways, I need someone to give me a link to an online stream of the game. I tried ESPN3 but it is blacked out. Help please?

riverside6
01-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Clemson, starters posted for both teams...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=14551

niveklaen
01-08-2013, 06:49 PM
Due to conflicting TV schedules with the lady friend, I will not be able to view the second half of the game tonight on TV so I will be forced to stream it online. Now normally Duke basketball would trump anything else on TV but an exception has to be made tonight because she bought me an Awesome Duke t-shirt and bottle opener. Anyways, I need someone to give me a link to an online stream of the game. I tried ESPN3 but it is blacked out. Help please?

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/sport/basketball.html

mattman91
01-08-2013, 06:51 PM
http://www.thefirstrow.eu/sport/basketball.html

If I weren't already the man, you would be. Thanks ;)

pfrduke
01-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Lots of good looks, just not a lot of drops so far. Let's hope that's all out of the system.

mapei
OK. Not the most auspicious of starts, offensively, by either team . . .

Edouble
Scoring pace so far seems to favor Clemson.

crote
I'm not where I can watch the game right now, but from the looks of the box score that might be good thing. Combined 0-15 shooting from both teams five minutes in. Gross.

Edouble
01-08-2013, 07:14 PM
The ref wants to replay the first five minutes, he knows that score must be wrong.

mapei
01-08-2013, 07:16 PM
Nice tip by Kelly.

Edouble
01-08-2013, 07:20 PM
"My" starting five of Quinn, Sheed, Tyler, Ryan, and Mason go on a nice 8-0 run!

Edouble
01-08-2013, 07:23 PM
...do we really want him taking that 19' baseline shot?

Cameron
01-08-2013, 07:27 PM
...do we really want him taking that 19' baseline shot?

Personally, I have never understood why Josh thinks he's Carmelo Anthony. You don't have an outside game, big fella. But that's ok. You are still an important part of this team.

El_Diablo
01-08-2013, 07:27 PM
Drink every time Elmore says "Good/nice job by [Clemson player] for [mundane thing]." He has done it about ten times already.

mapei
01-08-2013, 07:28 PM
I generally dislike Elmore's chatter, but tonight he's been fine so far.

mapei
01-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Good heavens - is anyone else seeing an Onion-esque bad commercial by PAT BOONE?

Edouble
01-08-2013, 07:30 PM
I can't believe some of the missed shots tonight. Ryan missing a 1' layup (he did get his own rebound and put it in). Seth just now stepping into what I thought was surely a good 17' jumper, only to be way off, clanging on the back rim.

Feels like it should be 26-16, not 16-6...

Edouble
01-08-2013, 07:31 PM
I generally dislike Elmore's chatter, but tonight he's been fine so far.

He's very pro-Mason, at least.

Edouble
01-08-2013, 07:32 PM
We could seriously keep the Tigers in single digits for the half.

mapei
01-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Bad Mason, great Murph.

mapei
01-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Why wasn't that a double dribble by the Clemson guy?

Edouble
01-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Murphy seemed like he wasn't expecting to get the ball just then, like he wasn't sure what to do with it.

mapei
01-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Wish we had subtitles on the Crazies' chants . . .

Edouble
01-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Wish we had subtitles on the Crazies' chants . . .

I heard (as expected) "Trev-or's bet-ter"

mapei
01-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Booker's playing a hell of a game, though.

Ggallagher
01-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Wow, hope there's a chance to see a slo-mo later of Mason coming in to attack the basket with the Clemson player stepping in front of him to take a charge. And then REAL wisely the Clemson player flopped to the floor - getting out of Mason's way.
Wise decision.

mapei
01-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Beauty by Cook!

mapei
01-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Wow. This may be the most inept half of offensive basketball I've ever seen.

subzero02
01-08-2013, 07:45 PM
How does Murphy look, how is his defense?????

Edouble
01-08-2013, 07:46 PM
I think Cook just made the Sportscenter Top 10.

That was sick.

Also: love the english that Quinn puts on his lay-ups.

pfrduke
01-08-2013, 07:46 PM
So, we're playing very good defense, but Clemson's offensive execution is absolutely atrocious. Really bad.

mapei
01-08-2013, 07:47 PM
That one was as pretty as I've seen in ages.

slower
01-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Wow. This may be the most inept half of offensive basketball I've ever seen.

I really have to stop watching the first half of these games. That was the most pathetic thing I've seen in recent memory. On a positive note, it DID make for an extremely fast first half.

Look, I know things will most likely improve in the second half, but I just don't see how we can survive these first-half performances come tournament time. Hopefully, K will fix things by then.

Also, nice to see the "raven" flap by the fans after Kelly baskets.

moonpie23
01-08-2013, 07:50 PM
this game is uggggggggggly.....

mason seems to be missing some "lift" lately.... ??? doesn't seem as confident...i know teams are keying on him, but would love to see him get some efficient scoring...

clemson ALWAYS uglys it up.....

Edouble
01-08-2013, 07:52 PM
How does Murphy look, how is his defense?????

I think he looks good. He got a blocking foul trying to take a charge. On offense took a pass from Seth, and looked shocked that he suddenly had the ball on the baseline. But seriously, other than that he's moving well, doesn't look like he's playing too hard just because he's excited to be in the game.

It seems like it would not be too presumptuous to say at this point that Alex is showing something in practice that the coaches like and is pushing him ahead of Amile in the depth charts.

CLW
Clemson is AWFUL on the offensive end but our 1st half "woes" continue. We just don't look hungry coming out of the gates. Our free throw shooting has been sub-par recently as well. We will in all likelihood win this one but our slow starts are going to come back and BITE us at some point.

Saratoga2
Nothing on offense from Curry and a lot of work but no scoring from Rasheed. At least Alex scored. It looks like Ryan and Quinn are the primary offense tonight.

SCMatt33
01-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Is it just me, or does something not look right with Mason. It feels to me like he is always taking the path of least resistance, like he is sick or hurt. There were two rebound opportunities early, and the loose ball where Clemson broke its 7-8 minute scoreless drought that he seemed to be in very good position to grab the ball, but was just flat on his feet and didn't get there all three times. He would often settle for a passive shot or a pass on several one-one-one post up opportunities, and the few times he did go up, he didn't seem to get as high as he normally does. He had a few defensive plays where I was sure he would at least go up for a block, but stayed on the floor and went straight up to not foul/draw a charge.

It's right after the holiday break, and this wasn't a particularly fast first half, so it's clearly not fatigue (plus Len Elmore is calling the game and hasn't mentioned it, so we know it's not that). Maybe it's just me, but it really seems to me like he is sick or something. He doesn't look like he is in pain, so I don't think its an injury, but he just seems to have no aggression at all and is trying to conserve energy.

6th Man
01-08-2013, 08:01 PM
The ACC might have hit an all time low. There are some awful basketball teams this year. That was one of the worst halves of basketball I have ever seen.

vick
01-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Clemson is AWFUL on the offensive end but our 1st half "woes" continue. We just don't look hungry coming out of the gates. Our free throw shooting has been sub-par recently as well. We will in all likelihood win this one but our slow starts are going to come back and BITE us at some point.

I don't know about "hungry"...only four offensive rebounds given up (on a ton of shots available), and while Clemson's ineptness near the basket made the defense look better than it probably was, it was pretty clearly energetic. Rasheed missed a couple of free throws, a couple of wide open looks from the outside rimmed out. It's definitely a different kind of slow start than ones where the team has been beaten badly on the glass.

Dukeface88
01-08-2013, 08:04 PM
I really have to stop watching the first half of these games. That was the most pathetic thing I've seen in recent memory. On a positive note, it DID make for an extremely fast first half.

Look, I know things will most likely improve in the second half, but I just don't see how we can survive these first-half performances come tournament time.

On the other hand, we're holding the other team to 10 points and are up by 15 at the half. I really don't see us having trouble "surviving" that sort of half. You have to look at the performance on both sides of the ball, and we're dominating Clemson defensively (and on the boards).

I heard (as expected) "Trev-or's bet-ter"

I also heard "Ry-an's winn-ing".

mapei
01-08-2013, 08:04 PM
Man, that was a scary announcement re: Ryan.

FerryFor50
01-08-2013, 08:05 PM
I just heard the announcers say that Kelly is getting his foot looked at. Not good.

Edouble
01-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Kelly is back on the bench in warmups. No update from the announcers.

slower
01-08-2013, 08:10 PM
On the other hand, we're holding the other team to 10 points and are up by 15 at the half. I really don't see us having trouble "surviving" that sort of half.

Really? I think if we played like that against Michigan, they'd run us out of the gym.

NYBri
01-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Foot injuries make me nervous. Kelly is WAY too important to lose for an extended time.

SCMatt33
01-08-2013, 08:13 PM
I know Ryan is the big news right now, but I am almost certain that something is up with Mason. On that exchange just now with the two Clemson steals, Plumlee was one on one at the rim and didn't even attempt to challenge. I don't know what it is, but something is wrong with Mason. This doesn't look like one of those "he isn't into it" kind of things.

Edouble
01-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Announcers just said that Kelly is "not expected to return" for the rest of the game.

chaosmage
01-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Oh boy. Kyrie, Ryan, Marshall, Seth, Ryan again. What the heck is with the feet of our boys?

FerryFor50
01-08-2013, 08:19 PM
What sucks us that Kelly was just starting to fulfill his potential. Ugh.

MCFinARL
01-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Good heavens - is anyone else seeing an Onion-esque bad commercial by PAT BOONE?

Have you not seen this travesty before? Clearly you don't spend your entire life watching ESPNU. Boone is either desperate for cash or himself too senile to recognize he is promoting a borderline scam.

MCFinARL
01-08-2013, 08:22 PM
I know Ryan is the big news right now, but I am almost certain that something is up with Mason. On that exchange just now with the two Clemson steals, Plumlee was one on one at the rim and didn't even attempt to challenge. I don't know what it is, but something is wrong with Mason. This doesn't look like one of those "he isn't into it" kind of things.

Agreed. Mason does not look sharp and it isn't clear why--and it seems like he was on the bench a bit more frequently than usual, at least before Ryan got hurt. I wonder if he has a bit of flu.

Re Ryan, I seem to remember there was some discussion of his having "tweaked" something in practice. Hopefully this is just a mild aggravation of that and a precautionary measure. We will surely need him on Saturday.

mapei
01-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Have you not seen this travesty before? Clearly you don't spend your entire life watching ESPNU. Boone is either desperate for cash or himself too senile to recognize he is promoting a borderline scam.

I have seen it before - just never with an opportunity to share my dismay.

We're out of sync without Kelly. We'll win anyway, but . . .

mapei
01-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Mason hasn't been the same player as he was in 2012.

NYBri
01-08-2013, 08:27 PM

Mason seems okay physically.

mapei
01-08-2013, 08:30 PM
We are really playing poorly right now. I know it's hard to keep your intensity when you're up 15, but I'm really underwhelmed with this second-half performance.

slower
01-08-2013, 08:30 PM
So far, this is a "red flag" game. Especially if Ryan can't go on Saturday, things could get very dicey.

NYBri
01-08-2013, 08:33 PM
K doesn't like this effort.

FerryFor50
01-08-2013, 08:33 PM
So far, this is a "red flag" game. Especially if Ryan can't go on Saturday, things could get very dicey.

I was of the opinion Duke would lose to State on Saturday before Ryan got hurt. Now I think it's a near lock... But that's why they play the games!

Utley
01-08-2013, 08:34 PM
Announcers now saying right leg instead of right foot. Only time will tell but I'm so scarred by the last foot injury I think I'll take the leg.

mapleleafdevil
01-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Wow is it quiet in there.

mkirsh
01-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Really miss Ryan breaking the press - he is usually our inbounder and then runs to the middle to release the pressure.

At least half the board will be happy with more minutes for Jefferson, Marshall, and Murphy if Ryan misses extended time.

chaosmage
01-08-2013, 08:41 PM
That's the second time I've seen something like it. My impression is that if you aren't going for the ball on a fast break, it's intentional. Or is that the pros only?

Thanks for clarifying.

Bomar
01-08-2013, 08:42 PM
How about Quinn Cook in the second half? I have been liking his game!

FerryFor50
01-08-2013, 08:42 PM
That's the second time I've seen something like it. My impression is that if you aren't going for the ball on a fast break, it's intentional. Or is that the pros only?

Thanks for clarifying.

Only on clear paths to the basket or excessive contact, as far as I know.

SCMatt33
01-08-2013, 08:43 PM
Mason seems okay physically.

I'm now pretty sure this is physical. Mentally, he's there. Except for the reverse dunk attempt, he knows what he has and what he doesn't have. He's done a great job using himself as a decoy and getting assists. He's been right there encouraging younger teammates, specifically for Murphy and Jefferson's and-1's. He's also grabbed a lot of rebounds by sacrificing his first shot defense for good rebounding position. The question for me is whether it's an injury or illness. I don't see any sign of injury and am leaning toward illness, but you never know.

NYBri
01-08-2013, 08:44 PM
I'm now pretty sure this is physical. Mentally, he's there. Except for the reverse dunk attempt, he knows what he has and what he doesn't have. He's done a great job using himself as a decoy and getting assists. He's been right there encouraging younger teammates, specifically for Murphy and Jefferson's and-1's. He's also grabbed a lot of rebounds by sacrificing his first shot defense for good rebounding position. The question for me is whether it's an injury or illness. I don't see any sign of injury and am leaning toward illness, but you never know.

Illness, maybe, but physically, he looks fit.

Bluedog
01-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Only on clear paths to the basket or excessive contact, as far as I know.

Clear path (which can be a ticky tack touch foul) is only an NBA rule. In college, it has to be excessive to be considered flagrant.

nyesq83
01-08-2013, 08:45 PM
It's league play, which is always a death struggle when Duke is ranked No.1 AND undefeated.

BTW we are up 23 right now.

NYBri
01-08-2013, 08:46 PM
AND our concern about Ryan and Mason has shadowed a great outing by Quinn.

Bomar
01-08-2013, 08:47 PM
AND our concern about Ryan and Mason has shadowed a great outing by Quinn.

Great outing by Quinn.

MCFinARL
01-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Great outing by Quinn.

Yes, I think the "Quinn Cook a top 10 point guard?" thread will be getting a lot of play tomorrow.