PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke the Sole Remaining Unbeaten Team

burnspbesq
01-05-2013, 10:08 PM
With UConn's loss to Notre Dame earlier today, and losses by Colorado and OK State earlier in the week, Duke becomes the sole undefeated team in women's D1 basketball.

Congrats to the team and staff. Keep up the good work!

matt1
01-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Does anyone know when the last time was that the same school had both the last undefeated team in MBB and in WBB?

Maybe us in 2006?

burnspbesq
01-06-2013, 01:47 PM
It does not appear that the Duke women's unbeaten start will end today.

Halftime score: Duke 55, BC 20.

Wander
01-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Does anyone know when the last time was that the same school had both the last undefeated team in MBB and in WBB?

Maybe us in 2006?

Nah. The undefeated women's season for Duke was 2007, and if I remember correctly technically Duke wasn't the last undefeated team in 2006 anyway (Florida was).

UConn won the championships in both in 2004, but I think the men's team had a handful of early losses.

So... my guess is that we'd be the first if that happens this year, but not sure.

uh_no
01-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Nah. The undefeated women's season for Duke was 2007, and if I remember correctly technically Duke wasn't the last undefeated team in 2006 anyway (Florida was).

UConn won the championships in both in 2004, but I think the men's team had a handful of early losses.

So... my guess is that we'd be the first if that happens this year, but not sure.

yeah, uconn got waxed by GT early that year, who they then beat for the title.

noladevil
01-08-2013, 09:18 PM
I'm curious if anyone out there knows the deepest into a season a school has had both it's men's and women's team unbeaten. I'd have to guess it was UConn teams of the early 2000's or possibly UCLA in the 70's when Ann Meyers was there and the men never lost. I don't have an answer, but have extreme faith in the talent pool of our fan base.

Wander
01-08-2013, 09:48 PM
As of December 21, 2006, Tennessee was undefeated in both. I don't know if that's the answer, but take that as a starting point and see if anyone can find a school that beats it (other than us, of course).

EDIT: Ignore that. January 6th, 2003 for UConn.

CameronBornAndBred
01-09-2013, 03:03 PM
It annoys me to no end that despite their record, the women get no respect. Well, they get SOME respect, they have 2 #1 votes now in each poll...but they also dropped in each poll as ND leapfrogged them substantially. It's all rankings and it's all meaningless, but it is still annoying. Bright side, the women start to face some more serious tests this month that they will be able to prove themselves in. UCONN, Miami and Carolina all loom in the horizon in the next 30 days.

Duvall
01-09-2013, 03:30 PM
It annoys me to no end that despite their record, the women get no respect. Well, they get SOME respect, they have 2 #1 votes now in each poll...but they also dropped in each poll as ND leapfrogged them substantially. It's all rankings and it's all meaningless, but it is still annoying. Bright side, the women start to face some more serious tests this month that they will be able to prove themselves in. UCONN, Miami and Carolina all loom in the horizon in the next 30 days.

Respect is earned - Duke has played a softer schedule to date than Connecticut, Baylor, Stanford and Notre Dame. Which is good, given the team's injuries coming into the season, but it means that Duke will have to win more than those teams in the remainder of the regular season to jump over them going into the tournament.

MCFinARL
01-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Respect is earned - Duke has played a softer schedule to date than Connecticut, Baylor, Stanford and Notre Dame. Which is good, given the team's injuries coming into the season, but it means that Duke will have to win more than those teams in the remainder of the regular season to jump over them going into the tournament.

In particular, if Duke wants to jump over any of those teams before the tournament, it will probably have to win in Storrs on Jan. 21--no easy task.