PDA

View Full Version : "The White Raven"

slower
01-05-2013, 02:45 PM
For those who first heard it today, this is the first reference I can find to Ryan Kelly's nickname, coined by Grantland's Shane Ryan as a reply to Harrison Barnes' "Black Falcon."

http://sethcurrysavesduke.blogspot.com/2011/01/hot-potato-and-passage-of-time.html

OldPhiKap
01-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Let me the first to say that I really hate this as a nickname.

slower
01-05-2013, 02:51 PM

I'm pretty sure it was initially meant as a joke, sort of a sarcastic bookend to "The Black Falcon." Viewed in that context, I think it's exquisite.

arnie
01-05-2013, 02:56 PM
I'm pretty sure it was initially meant as a joke, sort of a sarcastic bookend to "The Black Falcon." Viewed in that context, I think it's exquisite.

Agree - of course Kelly did not name himself as opposed to the great black falcon. Also don't think Kelly will try to profit from the name.

Edouble
01-05-2013, 03:04 PM

Yeah, it's a great nickname.

hurleyfor3
01-05-2013, 03:19 PM
So much for the Raven Paradox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raven_paradox).

slower
01-05-2013, 03:35 PM
BTW, Shane Ryan's pre-Grantland blog is a treasure-trove of Duke columns. He started the column on March 30, 2009, the day that Seth Curry announced his transfer to Duke. It covers the entire 2010 (Championship) and 2011 (Kyrie) seasons. Here's one of my favorites:

http://sethcurrysavesduke.blogspot.com/2010/04/morning-champs.html

Kedsy
01-05-2013, 04:28 PM

Seriously, if Monty Hall had a raven we'd really be in business.

miramar
01-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Yeah, it's a great nickname.

I love the knickname and the flapping wings, but then anything that pokes fun at Barnes is fine with me.

rthomas
01-05-2013, 06:30 PM
From the front page story: Cook says his nickname for Kelly is “baby Dirk.”

I like this much better than a parody of some UNC player.

Baby Dirk.

BD80
01-05-2013, 06:45 PM
From the front page story: Cook says his nickname for Kelly is “baby Dirk.”

Has enunciation ever been so important?

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-05-2013, 06:57 PM
Kelly played at Ravenscroft in high school. That had a lot to do with his nickname.
Love, Ima

basket1544
01-05-2013, 08:12 PM
How about Dirk II or Dirk Jr instead of Baby Dirk? (and yes checking to make sure ipad doesn't change my spelling over and over again)
I don't like the idea of Ryan being called a baby anything.

bird
01-05-2013, 09:11 PM
Ravens are are among the most intelligent of birds, certainly among native North American bird species. Ravens are highly social and, unusual for birds of any species, have demonstrated problem solving skills. They are acrobatic flyers, and one of my more memorable birdwatching experiences is watching Ravens play midair tag with angry Peregrine Falcons in Shenandoah National Park. Ravens are among the larger North American species of birds. Ravens are generalists of the bird world, strong at a wide variety of bird-like skills. They thrive in the winter in difficult climes.

All-in-all, Raven seems like an apt bird match for Ryan.

BD80
01-05-2013, 09:51 PM
Ravens are are among the most intelligent of birds, certainly among native North American bird species. Ravens are highly social and, unusual for birds of any species, have demonstrated problem solving skills. They are acrobatic flyers, and one of my more memorable birdwatching experiences is watching Ravens play midair tag with angry Peregrine Falcons in Shenandoah National Park. Ravens are among the larger North American species of birds. Ravens are generalists of the bird world, strong at a wide variety of bird-like skills. They thrive in the winter in difficult climes.

Are they known for post defense?

Jarhead
01-05-2013, 10:06 PM

What you describe sounds an awful lot the crowds of crows that fly around holding loud conversations with other crows while I am trying to hit a golf ball in any season of the year. They also like to make a racket when they are stalking the falcons and hawks, harassing them as they fly around in graceful circles looking for food such as squirrels and other rodents. Maybe the crows have an alliance with the rodent crowd. Oh, yeah. I forgot. I don't like the white raven moniker for Ryan Kelly.

OldPhiKap
01-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Please, end this moniker now. It is beyond mock-worthy.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-05-2013, 10:34 PM
I tend to agree. It's seems to be much ado over nothing. ;)

Newton_14
01-05-2013, 10:48 PM

I prefer Quinn's Baby Dirk moniker.

Ryan is balling no matter what we call him. That we all can agree on.

Mudge
01-05-2013, 10:48 PM
I like it a lot, with the Ravenscroft HS tie-in, and the overall intelligence/abilities of ravens.

Quoth the (White) Raven, "Nevermore". (Perhaps he speaks of UNC's time on top.)

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-05-2013, 11:17 PM
I like it a lot, with the Ravenscroft HS tie-in, and the overall intelligence/abilities of ravens.

Quoth the (White) Raven, "Nevermore". (Perhaps he speaks of UNC's time on top.)
Ravenscroft is named for Bishop Ravenscroft. If there really must be a nickname, Ryan's role is more like that of a bishop than anything that would relate to a raven.:cool:

SupaDave
01-06-2013, 12:27 AM
You don't pick your nickname - your nickname chooses you...

“Like every other team, we have flaws. We've taken those flaws and said 'Screw you. We're going to win anyways.'” —Ryan Kelly

licc85
01-06-2013, 12:55 AM
Speaking of baby Dirk, how is this guy not on any NBA draft website's radar? What team wouldn't want to take an ultra smart 6-11 guy who can dribble, pass, and drain 3s in the second round? Sure, he's not NBA starter material, but at the very least, he's Steve Novak, right? If anything, I think his game fits the NBA style much better than college. The NBA game is a bit slower, which would help him on the defensive end, and 3 point shooters are highly valued, especially tall guys with high release points on their jump shots. I'd be shocked if Ryan can't make it on to a 12 man roster.

brevity
01-06-2013, 01:51 AM
Speaking of baby Dirk, how is this guy not on any NBA draft website's radar?

He just makes the cut at #60 in the recent update here:
http://nbadraft.net/2013mock_draft

Mr. Irrelevant worked out pretty well for Robert Sacre last year; he's on the Lakers roster. Sure, it's not a real NBA team, but...

mgtr
01-06-2013, 03:23 AM
Ryan is balling no matter what we call him. That we all can agree on.

But, if he is balling, doesn't that make him

Cry Baby Dirk? :D I prefer white raven to that!

A-Tex Devil
01-06-2013, 06:56 AM
Are they known for post defense?

If you've ever been to the tower of London, those Ravens seem to defend their posts rather well. I know I was intimidate.

slower
01-06-2013, 07:29 AM

In response to people mentioning it during yesterday's game, I merely stated that the nickname "The White Raven" was first used two years ago by Grantland's Shane Ryan in his pre-Grantland blog. Shane Ryan appears to be the only person (with the exception of the ESPN guy yesterday) who uses this nickname for Ryan. And, once again, this nickname was created as a humorous/sarcastic reply to Harrison Barnes' egomaniacal self-glossing as "The Black Falcon." In that context, it's hilarious.

I'm neither defending or attacking "The White Raven" as a nickname for Ryan, although it is assuredly better than 99% of the tortured alternatives that DBR posters might attempt. Despite his low-key demeanor, Ryan seems like a pretty cool guy with a dry sense of humor. I'm betting that he thinks it's funny.

BTW, I just checked Shane Ryan's Twitter account, and he is aware that ESPN used the nickname yesterday. He is a happy man. :)

Bob Green
01-06-2013, 07:47 AM

Agreed, this nickname is horrible. I also hate it!

Again, I agree. I fail to understand why he needs a nickname at all and suggest we just refer to him as Ryan Kelly.

tele
01-06-2013, 08:09 AM
A raven is a raptor. So he could play in toronto.l

slower
01-06-2013, 08:10 AM
Agreed, this nickname is horrible. I also hate it!

Again, I agree. I fail to understand why he needs a nickname at all and suggest we just refer to him as Ryan Kelly.

Of course, now that it has hit ESPN, we have no control over where it goes from here. ;)

sagegrouse
01-06-2013, 08:36 AM
A raven is a raptor. So he could play in toronto.l

The raven is a tough customer and frequently duels with hawks, but it isn't a raptor. The raven is the largest songbird (Passerine) and is in the same family (Corvids) as blue jays and crows. Raptors are hawks and owls. Nevertheless, the raven (24" length, 53" wingspread, 2.6 lbs.) is even larger than the commonly seen red-tailed hawk (19", 49", 2.4 lbs.)

sagegrouse
'Boring folks to death on avian matters for decades'

mapei
01-06-2013, 09:21 AM

This: +1

Fish80
01-06-2013, 09:26 AM

I'm confused by the Raven Paradox. Aren't all Raven's black? They actually have a blue tint in the right light, I think it's a touch of Pantone 287.

AtlBluRew
01-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Ryan Kelly has worked hard on developing his game and is having such a great season that I hate the idea that his nickname is in any way meant to mock another player. Ryan's nickname should be entirely about praising Ryan. Harrison Barnes is not worthy of being thought of at the mention of Ryan.

El_Diablo
01-06-2013, 09:48 AM
The nickname has been around for two years now. The Crazies have been using it for over a year (and do the slow wing-flapping motion, "Angels in the Outfield"-style, every time he has a big moment in home games). It is not going anywhere.

budwom
01-06-2013, 09:52 AM
we're major fans of the ravens and crows, and are fortunate enough to have crow/raven expert Bernd Heinrich (Univ. of Vermont professor)
living nearby. His lectures on the intelligence of crows and ravens (including the use of tools) really are fascinating.
If you find corvids interesting, check out Bernd's books.

slower
01-06-2013, 09:53 AM
The nickname has been around for two years now. The Crazies have been using it for over a year (and do the slow wing-flapping motion, "Angels in the Outfield"-style, every time he has a big moment in home games). It is not going anywhere.

Agreed. I mean, it's COLLEGE. Let the kids have fun with it.

BD80
01-06-2013, 10:50 AM
I like it a lot, with the Ravenscroft HS tie-in, ...

Ravenscroft is named for Bishop Ravenscroft. ...

If he had really concentrated, I'll bet the sorting hat would have placed him in Gryffindor, he has the heart of a lion after all ...

Jarhead
01-06-2013, 02:21 PM
How about Rhino as a nick name, but since Ryan and Kelly are both Gaelic names maybe something in Gaelic. Or, how about just plain old Irish, but only if a nick name is really needed. I can't recall any nicknames for Carlos Boozer, or Grant Hill, or Christian Laettner, or Jay Bilas, or Shane Battier, etc., etc.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-06-2013, 02:24 PM
How about Rhino as a nick name, but since Ryan and Kelly are both Gaelic names maybe something in Gaelic. Or, how about just plain old Irish, but only if a nick name is really needed. I can't recall any nicknames for Carlos Boozer, or Grant Hill, or Christian Laettner, or Jay Bilas, or Shane Battier, etc., etc.
Rhino is already in use.... Dick Havens, member of the Cotton Bowl team, is still known by that name.

DukieInKansas
01-06-2013, 08:21 PM
"member of the Cotton Bowl team" makes me smile. Let's go, Duke!

licc85
01-06-2013, 08:36 PM

Oh man, Angels in the Outfield . . what a great movie . . . I was trying so hard to remember where I had seen that before :)

sagegrouse
01-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Rhino is already in use.... Dick Havens, member of the Cotton Bowl team, is still known by that name.

DitDB reintroduced me to "Dick Havens" last year at the tailgate for one of the football games. I remembered him, and the name, Dick Havens, sure rung a bell. But within 10 minutes, I addressed him as "Rhino," -- it just came out, and I hadn't thought of it in, oh, about 50 years. In other words, the name fits.

sage

watzone
01-07-2013, 12:54 PM
More on Ryan Kelly - http://bluedevilnation.net/2013/01/ryan-kelly-is-a-vital-key-to-the-blue-devils-success/ It's good to see Kelly getting his due of late.

Fish80
01-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Even more . . . scroll down a bit.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/notebookweeklywatch130106/pick-n-roll

slower
01-07-2013, 01:50 PM
And even MORE, from the man (Shane Ryan) himself:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/46732/the-hardcourt-shuffle-duke-and-michigan-rise-from-the-pack