PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Wake Forest (Jan 5, 2013)

JBDuke
01-05-2013, 02:02 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 80-62 win over Wake?

Edouble
01-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Hard to go against The White Raven, but any time Quinn has 14 dimes and 2 TOs, we'll be in the game at the end. If Ryan hadn't fouled out early, I might have given it to him. If Quinn had just hit 3-4 shots, it would have been a no brainer. I went with Quinn, though.

-bdbd
01-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Ryan Kelly is just playing terrific ball these days, on Offense and D. Great all-around game, and consistently strong effort. I have always felt that he plays a very SMART game too - he's maybe the most "aware" kid on the floor, doing all of the little things. With a couple other key players being off the last few games, Kelly is a real steadying performer. Gotta work off those rough edges before we get to NCSU guys....

slower
01-05-2013, 03:05 PM
I have always felt that he plays a very SMART game too - he's maybe the most "aware" kid on the floor, doing all of the little things.

At times, he is - dare I say it? - Scheyeresque.

moonpie23
01-05-2013, 03:44 PM
i gave it to marshall......hopefully it will help him to not play "out of position"......:rolleyes:

ArkieDukie
01-05-2013, 04:49 PM
At times, he is - dare I say it? - Scheyeresque.

I've been saying he's somewhat Battieresque since last season. Another vote for the great Ryan Kelly!

Newton_14
01-05-2013, 08:15 PM
We had 3 solid choices today and I went with Seth. Very smooth 22 points from all types of shots. Ryan was deadly from 3, but only played 18 minutes before fouling out with 7 to go. Quinn was awesome with 14 assists and great defense, but had a bad shooting day. Took good shots, just could not get them to fall.

75Crazie
01-05-2013, 09:03 PM
I really don't know how you can award MOTM to a player who fouls out in 18 minutes of playing time, no matter his offensive brilliance in the short time he was in there. He has got to play smarter than that.

Newton_14
01-05-2013, 10:11 PM
I really don't know how you can award MOTM to a player who fouls out in 18 minutes of playing time, no matter his offensive brilliance in the short time he was in there. He has got to play smarter than that.

Agree. That is why I went with Seth. Same thing with Quinn. Hard to vote for an 0-11 shooting performance. Ryan blew a chance to put up 30+ today. He had that stroke dialed in. Two weird performances mixing greatness in one category with not so greatness in other facets.

ScreechTDX1847
01-05-2013, 10:40 PM
Quinn. Not only did he have 14 assists but he literally singlehandedly caused two turnovers off of inbounds passes from Duke scores. He also sets the emotional tone for this team. There isn't a single good play made where Quinn doesn't run to the player and chest bump, high five, etc, etc. It is a luxury to have your PG reward every player for every good play made on offense and defense.

In a game where we reference and put a lot of import on stats, etc - this is such a big deal that will never show in a player's stat sheet. Can you imagine how hard the team will play for Quinn when he is a upperclassman. So happy to have Quinn.

PumpkinFunk
01-05-2013, 11:45 PM
Quinn. Not only did he have 14 assists but he literally single handed lay caused two turnovers off of inbounds passes from Duke scores. He also sets the emotional tone for this team. There isn't a single good play made where Quinn doesn't run to the player and chest bump, high five, etc, etc. It is a luxury to have your PG reward every player for every good play made on offense and defense.

In a game where we reference and put a lot of import on stats, etc - this is such a big deal that will never show in a player's stat sheet. Can you imagine how hard the team will play for Quinn when he is a upperclassman. So happy to have Quinn.

Quinn didn't make a shot all game. Despite 14 assists, I can't disregard the 0-11 line from him - he had a ton of easy shots that he missed. I went with Seth, because he was just on fire offensively, and he kept up the good work (not great... but improved, for sure) on defense. Ryan was close for me, but the foul trouble mars his otherwise good game. We need him to play good defense without fouling, because he's one of our best defenders.

ScreechTDX1847
01-06-2013, 12:20 AM
Quinn didn't make a shot all game. Despite 14 assists, I can't disregard the 0-11 line from him - he had a ton of easy shots that he missed. I went with Seth, because he was just on fire offensively, and he kept up the good work (not great... but improved, for sure) on defense. Ryan was close for me, but the foul trouble mars his otherwise good game. We need him to play good defense without fouling, because he's one of our best defenders.

He did go 0-11 from the field, but like I said, he did all the things you don't measure with stats. Never let down his defensive intensity also which is easy to do when your shot isn't falling. I feel like Quinn keeps the team going.

There aren't any wrong answers here though. If you can make a good case for a player - then your right.

Bob Green
01-06-2013, 07:59 AM
I was unable to watch the entire game yesterday so I couldn't vote in good conscience until watching the replay on ESPN3 this morning.

Quinn. Not only did he have 14 assists but he literally single handed lay caused two turnovers off of inbounds passes from Duke scores. He also sets the emotional tone for this team.

I voted for Quinn Cook and his 14 assists. The offense is flowing like a fine tuned machine this year with Cook as the engine oil.

We need him to play good defense without fouling, because he's one of our best defenders.

I don't see this. Kelly has great court awareness which leads to him being in the right position to make a play and he deserves props for that, but I believe he is the weakest defender of the starting five.

mapei
01-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Kelly has great court awareness which leads to him being in the right position to make a play and he deserves props for that, but I believe he is the weakest defender of the starting five.

That's the way I see it, too, Bob.