PDA

View Full Version : Andre Dawkins

Chris Randolph
01-04-2013, 12:18 PM
This may seem silly but I know many of you are close to the program: Anyone know how Andre is doing? What he is up to? Hope all is well for him and look forward to him being back next season

scottdude8
01-04-2013, 12:38 PM
I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this as well, because I'm personally nervous about his status on the team last year, considering I can't seem to find any playing time for him... I can't see him starting, and he'd at best be the third guy off the bench behind Tyler and Josh, and that's at best. I'm a huge Andre fan, but am concerned his Duke career will end up being a case of missed opportunities. Regardless, though, we owe him big for 2010, which I hope will be his legacy.

gus
01-04-2013, 12:44 PM
... which I hope will be his legacy.

I hope his legacy will be that of a deadly accurate shooter whose timely three pointers helped secure Duke's second back-to-back national championship.

UrinalCake
01-04-2013, 12:45 PM
I hope this doesn't sound overly negative but if he does come back next season I think his role is going to be pretty limited as a spot up shooter for a few minutes per game. This may actually work out to his benefit, as it's what he does best. But he never seemed to be able develop other aspects of his game, and the time off will only make it harder. I hope I'm wrong.

CDu
01-04-2013, 12:48 PM
I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this as well, because I'm personally nervous about his status on the team last year, considering I can't seem to find any playing time for him... I can't see him starting, and he'd at best be the third guy off the bench behind Tyler and Josh, and that's at best. I'm a huge Andre fan, but am concerned his Duke career will end up being a case of missed opportunities. Regardless, though, we owe him big for 2010, which I hope will be his legacy.

This is purely speculative, but I do wonder if Dawkins has played his last game at Duke. It would not shock me at all if he and the team mutually agreed to call this a redshirt year so that Dawkins would be able to complete his senior academic year on scholarship. It would be completely understandable considering what the kid has gone through.

That being said, if he does return, I see little reason to worry that he'd find playing time. I definitely don't think he'd get starter's minutes as I think Sulaimon and Hood will be the starters. But I could see him being the primary backup at both the SG and SF positions (worth maybe 15-20 mpg).

And I wouldn't worry about his legacy. He was a member of an NCAA championship team and two ACC championship teams at Duke. That puts him on a short but illustrious list.

scottdude8
01-04-2013, 12:51 PM
This is purely speculative, but I do wonder if Dawkins has played his last game at Duke. It would not shock me at all if he and the team mutually agreed to call this a redshirt year so that Dawkins would be able to complete his senior academic year on scholarship. It would be completely understandable considering what the kid has gone through.

That being said, if he does return, I see little reason to worry that he'd find playing time. I definitely don't think he'd get starter's minutes as I think Sulaimon and Hood will be the starters. But I could see him being the primary backup at both the SG and SF positions (worth maybe 15-20 mpg).

And I wouldn't worry about his legacy. He was a member of an NCAA championship team and two ACC championship teams at Duke. That puts him on a short but illustrious list.

That's my worry exactly, especially since I disagree slightly with you in regards to PT. I'm personally not sure if he'd deserve playing time over sophomores Alex and Amile, or even a freshman Matt Jones considering how great he's looked in his senior season down in Texas. I'd love to see Andre come back and light it up for one last season, but I'm just not sure I see it.

gumbomoop
01-04-2013, 12:55 PM
I assume Andre will return next season.

Obviously Duke will be loaded at the wings, but Andre is surely a part of that loaded group. Here's a list of the team in 2013-'14, with positions, sort of:

PG: Cook, Thornton
Wings: Sulaimon, Hood, Dawkins, Jones, Ojeleye
Stretch 4s: Parker, Murphy, Jefferson
Bigs: MP3, Hairston

If we assume K will during pre-ACC go with a 9-man rotation [and spot minutes for the other 3 guys], Andre would very likely be among the 4 bench guys to get meaningful minutes pre-ACC.

Starters: Cook, Sulaimon, Hood, Parker, Plumlee.
Solid bench: Thornton, Dawkins, Hairston, and Murphy/Jefferson.
Spot minutes: Murphy/Jefferson, Jones, Ojeleye

IMO, the competition for spots 7-10, i.e., after 6th-man Thornton, will be fierce. So fierce that we might imagine [but perhaps only imagine] K will have an 10-12-man rotation early on. Possibly Dawkins and Cook will share 6th-man-super-sub title as we move into ACC play.

CDu
01-04-2013, 12:56 PM
That's my worry exactly, especially since I disagree slightly with you in regards to PT. I'm personally not sure if he'd deserve playing time over sophomores Alex and Amile, or even a freshman Matt Jones considering how great he's looked in his senior season down in Texas. I'd love to see Andre come back and light it up for one last season, but I'm just not sure I see it.

I think that a fifth-year senior Andre Dawkins would almost certainly play over the three guys you mention. He has three years of experience in the Duke system, and unlike all of those other three, he's shown that he can be a big-time producer against elite opponents. I think you're being guilty of "shiny new toy syndrome" in worrying that Dawkins wouldn't play over those three.

That being said, I doubt that his decision to return or not will be based on how many minutes would be available next year.

slower
01-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Possibly Dawkins and Cook will share 6th-man-super-sub title as we move into ACC play.

Why in the world do you think Quinn would be a 6th man/super sub?

OldPhiKap
01-04-2013, 01:10 PM
I think that a fifth-year senior Andre Dawkins would almost certainly play over the three guys you mention. He has three years of experience in the Duke system, and unlike all of those other three, he's shown that he can be a big-time producer against elite opponents. I think you're being guilty of "shiny new toy syndrome" in worrying that Dawkins wouldn't play over those three.

That being said, I doubt that his decision to return or not will be based on how many minutes would be available next year.

This.

My hope is that Andre finds peace, and whatever decision flows from that is fine. He was, is, and will be part of the family regardless.

gumbomoop
01-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Why in the world do you think Quinn would be a 6th man/super sub?

Why in the world, indeed. I meant to type "Dawkins and Thornton."

My bad. Very bad.

sagegrouse
01-04-2013, 01:15 PM

My reservations about Andre, formidable scorer that he can be, is that, as far as I know, he is not playing basketball. You gotta play to be good. If he goes for a year with no time playing except personal workouts, how is he going to contribute? Now, maybe he has regular games with top players on the Q.T., but I don't see how it happens during basketball season, which is 5-6 months long (this year we are hoping for a six-month season!).

And maybe, once the season is over, he can participate in pickup games with college and pro players at Duke and elsewhere. But that will be the test, won't it?

sagegrouse

Matches
01-04-2013, 01:17 PM

That was my belief as soon as the redshirt was announced. I have been told by someone who ought to know that I'm dead wrong, for whatever that's worth. FWIW I think it would be a nice, elegant way to help him finish up his degree without having basketball in the way of things.

Honestly, if he does return, it's hard for me to imagine him playing a significant role. He's not practicing, he's not with the team - it is REALLY hard to step away from the game for a year and then come back playing at a high level.

CDu
01-04-2013, 01:23 PM
That was my belief as soon as the redshirt was announced. I have been told by someone who ought to know that I'm dead wrong, for whatever that's worth. FWIW I think it would be a nice, elegant way to help him finish up his degree without having basketball in the way of things.

That was my immediate thought as well. That obviously doesn't mean it's the case, of course. But I agree that such a decision would be a very compassionate, respectful way to allow Dawkins to finish school. But whatever he decides should be (and I suspect will be) supported by the team and true fans.

As far as his taking a year off, I don't think it would mean he won't be ready for next year. He's almost certainly playing some basketball and staying in some shape, so it's not like he'd be coming back from sitting on his couch for a year. He'd almost certainly going to be way behind the rest of the team in terms of conditioning, but that's something that a summer of hard work would fix. So I don't think it would take him too long to get back up to speed.

OldPhiKap
01-04-2013, 01:31 PM
We have had players go on Mormon missions for a year, then come back.

We have had players injured for all or most of a year, then come back.

I think that the concerns regarding "being away from the game" are a bit overblown. The kid has played competitive basketball for years, and still has access (I presume) to the coaches and facilities.

Mentally, the benefits of a year away from the game may more than outweigh any rust. Think about when you go on vacation for a week, you hopefully come back to work with a bit less burn-out and a better mental focus. These kids play year round, every year, from the time they are in middle school. Sometimes it helps to hit the pause button and get your world in order.

CDu
01-04-2013, 01:40 PM
We have had players go on Mormon missions for a year, then come back.

We have had players injured for all or most of a year, then come back.

I think that the concerns regarding "being away from the game" are a bit overblown. The kid has played competitive basketball for years, and still has access (I presume) to the coaches and facilities.

Mentally, the benefits of a year away from the game may more than outweigh any rust. Think about when you go on vacation for a week, you hopefully come back to work with a bit less burn-out and a better mental focus. These kids play year round, every year, from the time they are in middle school. Sometimes it helps to hit the pause button and get your world in order.

I wholeheartedly agree with this post.

rsvman
01-04-2013, 01:49 PM
My reservations about Andre, formidable scorer that he can be, is that, as far as I know, he is not playing basketball. You gotta play to be good.
Tell that to Tyler Haws at BYU. Just came back from an LDS mission and is the leading scorer on his team and one of the top two scorers in his conference. He put up 42 points on Virginia Tech last week.

If he goes for a year with no time playing except personal workouts, how is he going to contribute?

See Tyler Haws example, above. Only Tyler missed TWO years rather than one and wasn't even able to work-out.

InSpades
01-04-2013, 02:19 PM
My hope is that Andre finds peace, and whatever decision flows from that is fine. He was, is, and will be part of the family regardless.

Couldn't agree more.

If he comes back I'm sure he knows the deal that nothing is guaranteed. If he's the 6th man, the 10th man or a starter depends on how he can best contribute to the team. Regardless I think he will be a benefit to the team in whatever role he ends up in.

If he moves on to another program I'm sure we all wish him the best of luck. He came to Duke early to fill a need for the team. He had some adverse circumstances and fought through them as well as he could. He's certainly a talented shooter and could definitely help this or any other team he ends up on.

I don't see anything to "worry" about either way.

nocilla
01-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Couldn't agree more.

If he comes back I'm sure he knows the deal that nothing is guaranteed. If he's the 6th man, the 10th man or a starter depends on how he can best contribute to the team. Regardless I think he will be a benefit to the team in whatever role he ends up in.

If he moves on to another program I'm sure we all wish him the best of luck. He came to Duke early to fill a need for the team. He had some adverse circumstances and fought through them as well as he could. He's certainly a talented shooter and could definitely help this or any other team he ends up on.

I don't see anything to "worry" about either way.

Just wanted to point out that if he wanted to move to another program I think he would have moved already. His eligibility will be up after next season so I don't think transferring is even an option. I could be wrong though.

InSpades
01-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Just wanted to point out that if he wanted to move to another program I think he would have moved already. His eligibility will be up after next season so I don't think transferring is even an option. I could be wrong though.

Not sure why you think this... 1st off by staying he gets his Duke degree (I would assume anyway), which will benefit him later in life. If he gets his degree he can go play somewhere else under the same post-grad rule that many other players use to play elsewhere for their fourth year of eligibility after graduating.

Though I'm not sure if he'd even need to use that rule. I'm not sure if this year would count as his "sitting out" since he's technically still on scholarship. Either way, I assume he can go play elsewhere next year if that's his choice.

killerleft
01-04-2013, 03:00 PM
My reservations about Andre, formidable scorer that he can be, is that, as far as I know, he is not playing basketball. You gotta play to be good. If he goes for a year with no time playing except personal workouts, how is he going to contribute? Now, maybe he has regular games with top players on the Q.T., but I don't see how it happens during basketball season, which is 5-6 months long (this year we are hoping for a six-month season!).

And maybe, once the season is over, he can participate in pickup games with college and pro players at Duke and elsewhere. But that will be the test, won't it?

sagegrouse

I have no doubt that Andre can come back after a one-year layoff. He's proved he can play. Knocking a little rust off shouldn't take long at all. Look at all the players who come back from long-term injuries and play well. With the time off, I wouldn't be surprised if Andre felt renewed and showed much improvement. That's been the plan set up for him, hasn't it?

SupaDave
01-04-2013, 03:01 PM
Andre not only sits behind the team at home games but he and Ryan are still best friends. Andre will be fine. Let time do the healing... (not to mention that a year of watching basketball can also improve a player who wasn't paying all that much attention before)

Considering that next year our only other seniors will be Tyler and Josh we will be VERY lucky to have Andre and his experience back.

nocilla
01-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Not sure why you think this... 1st off by staying he gets his Duke degree (I would assume anyway), which will benefit him later in life. If he gets his degree he can go play somewhere else under the same post-grad rule that many other players use to play elsewhere for their fourth year of eligibility after graduating.

Though I'm not sure if he'd even need to use that rule. I'm not sure if this year would count as his "sitting out" since he's technically still on scholarship. Either way, I assume he can go play elsewhere next year if that's his choice.

Forgot about the post-grad rule. However, I still think that if he were going to leave to play elsewhere, he would have done so already. He was going to sit the year out either way, why not get comfortable at your new school and learn their system/schemes?

sagegrouse
01-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Forgot about the post-grad rule. However, I still think that if he were going to leave to play elsewhere, he would have done so already. He was going to sit the year out either way, why not get comfortable at your new school and learn their system/schemes?

How about: D-U-K-E D-E-G-R-E-E?

CDu
01-04-2013, 03:17 PM

I am by no means speculating as to whether or not he WOULD go to another program. But he absolutely COULD. Assuming (a) he graduates and (b) he elects to pursue a master's degree in a program not offered by Duke, he would be eligible to play next year. Many have done this, including: Julius Mays (Wright St [via NCSU] to Kentucky); Justin Knox (Alabama to UNC); Jake O'Brien (Boston to Temple); and Greg Paulus (Duke to Syracuse, changing sports as well).

Edit: whoops. Once again, I'm late to the party, and someone else already responded.

COYS
01-04-2013, 03:26 PM
(not to mention that a year of watching basketball can also improve a player who wasn't paying all that much attention before)

I don't have anything to add to the speculation about whether or not Andre will return and, if he does, what his role will be. However, I think this is an excellent point regarding how he can improve as a player. If Andre lacked anything on the court, it was court awareness. He was caught out of position on defense a lot, stood around too much on offense, and didn't contribute much to rebounding. Watching without having the burden of wondering when/if he will go into the game could prove to be VERY beneficial. For me personally, amateur that I am, I learn quite a bit by watching Duke games and NBA games that I then attempt to apply in pick up games. Though my already meager athleticism continues to wane, I think I've actually improved as a player by improving my basketball IQ. I know my strengths and weaknesses. I know to look for my team and my opponents' strengths and weaknesses and apply a strategy accordingly. I am certainly not particularly good at basketball, but I have definitely improved my understanding of the game by watching. Anyway, I think one can learn a lot by sitting back and being a true student of the game.

This isn't to say that Andre will come back with Battier's basketball mind. However, considering that Andre's biggest weakness as a player seemed to be between the ears, a year of sitting back and watching a lot of basketball without the pressure of actually having to play just might do him wonders.

BD80
01-04-2013, 08:39 PM
... This isn't to say that Andre will come back with Battier's basketball mind. However, considering that Andre's biggest weakness as a player seemed to be between the ears, a year of sitting back and watching a lot of basketball without the pressure of actually having to play just might do him wonders.

Well, since you mentioned Shane: "In Greece he spent a year in silence just to better understand the sound of a whisper."

"And so without further gilding the lily and with no more ado, I give to you, the seeker of serenity, the protector of Italian virginity, the enforcer of our Lord God, the one, the only, Your Daddy, Battier!!!"

lotusland
01-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Ill be pulling for Dre to come back and be a leader as well as making a significant contribution as a 5th year senior