PDA

View Full Version : honor in the face of adversity

Channing
01-04-2013, 09:26 AM
I saw this article on Yahoo! and thought it was great.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/lone-florida-player-stays-sing-final-alma-mater-172044134--ncaaf.html

Apparently none of the Florida players wanted to stick around for the school alma matter after they got embarassed by Louisville (something that is apparently done after every game). One player, though, had the courage and pride in his school to stand alone, on the field, and sing the alma matter with the band. Bravo, and, as one of the commenters on the story noted, that is the true meaning of college athletics.

BD80
01-04-2013, 10:09 AM
I saw this article on Yahoo! and thought it was great.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/lone-florida-player-stays-sing-final-alma-mater-172044134--ncaaf.html

Apparently none of the Florida players wanted to stick around for the school alma matter after they got embarassed by Louisville (something that is apparently done after every game). One player, though, had the courage and pride in his school to stand alone, on the field, and sing the alma matter with the band. Bravo, and, as one of the commenters on the story noted, that is the true meaning of college athletics.

He's the one that will be in classes the rest of the semester

wgl1228
01-04-2013, 10:26 AM
This is the true definition of character. This should have been on the front page of the newspaper instead of the bumblings of our idiotic government (all parties included).

Edouble
01-04-2013, 12:16 PM
It says in the article that the team sings the song with the band after victories, so was it really because of the embarrassing loss that they abstained, or just because they don't sing the song after any loss?

While I applaud the young man's character, I don't think we should question the character of every other player on the team if singing the song after a loss isn't what they usually do.

somf4eva
01-04-2013, 12:23 PM
that was my read as well. While the title of the article made it seem like he was the lone player that stayed for the song EVEN THOUGH they lost, the article itself pointed more towards the fact that it is unusual for a player to do this after a loss. Weird wording...

chaosmage
01-04-2013, 12:53 PM
I can speak for the high schools I've taught at. The tradition varies, my previous school, we played after victories and all playoff games, win or lose. Regular season losses we did not. The coach for those 2 years DEMANDED that the band play whenever we didn't have the ball, and took the penalties if the refs gave them.

That being said, although I haven't read the article, any team that has a band that sticks around and plays for them should be d***ed proud to stay and sing with them. Win or lose.

Related story: we had a thanksgiving weekend playoff game at this same school a couple of years ago. I kept the band home to enjoy their vacation, and frankly, I needed the days. The team lost on the last play, by one point. To this day, the players on that team still blame us for not being there. Not that I agree, because if they were as good as they SAID they were, it would have never been that close. But the coach often took penalties for us because the players enjoyed us that much.

Starter
01-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Slightly off-topic, but I work with the girl who took that photo. Small world. And it's amazing the way information is disseminated now. All the photographers that were probably at that game, and a fan ends up landing the money shot.

BigWayne
01-04-2013, 07:14 PM
I can speak for the high schools I've taught at. The tradition varies, my previous school, we played after victories and all playoff games, win or lose. Regular season losses we did not. The coach for those 2 years DEMANDED that the band play whenever we didn't have the ball, and took the penalties if the refs gave them.

That being said, although I haven't read the article, any team that has a band that sticks around and plays for them should be d***ed proud to stay and sing with them. Win or lose.

Related story: we had a thanksgiving weekend playoff game at this same school a couple of years ago. I kept the band home to enjoy their vacation, and frankly, I needed the days. The team lost on the last play, by one point. To this day, the players on that team still blame us for not being there. Not that I agree, because if they were as good as they SAID they were, it would have never been that close. But the coach often took penalties for us because the players enjoyed us that much.

The coach you speak of is a bad sportsman. Obviously, as you mention you would be penalized, there was a rule against it. To blatantly flaunt the rule is sending the wrong message to his players.

chaosmage
01-04-2013, 10:34 PM
The coach you speak of is a bad sportsman. Obviously, as you mention you would be penalized, there was a rule against it. To blatantly flaunt the rule is sending the wrong message to his players.

The rule was only enforced in non-conference play, and only against schools that, well, had more money and influence than we did. And considering both teams often did it, he only asked us to back off if the other band wasn't playing as well. He just wanted it to be equal, and made sure the refs called the game evenly. The only time I've seen him take the penalty without fussing was in the playoffs of the 2011 season. Had he gotten another penalty, he would've been suspended for the next playoff game.

Actually, the coach was one of the best HS football coaches I've seen. Good man too.