PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Weird play in a Football Game! (Fiesta Bowl)

Newton_14
01-03-2013, 11:01 PM
I have never in all my years seen this one. Oregon scores a touchdown. K-State blocks the extra point, and a K-State player catches it in the air right about the one foot line. He retreats into the endzone and tries to run around the edge. Takes a hit and laterals to a teammate in the endzone who gets tackled on the spot. PLay over right?

Nope! This folks is something called a "One Point Safety". Oregon gets a point, and now K-State has to free kick to Oregon. Who knew???

Edit: I was wrong on one point. Oregon actually kicks off to K-State like after a normal scoring play. So a one point safety does not require the scoring team to receive a free kick. Which makes it even more weird to me.

Bluedog
01-03-2013, 11:04 PM
I have never in all my years seen this one. Oregon scores a touchdown. K-State blocks the extra point, and a K-State player catches it in the air right about the one foot line. He retreats into the endzone and tries to run around the edge. Takes a hit and laterals to a teammate in the endzone who gets tackled on the spot. PLay over right?

Nope! This folks is something called a "One Point Safety". Oregon gets a point, and now K-State has to free kick to Oregon. Who knew???

Yep, very strange. I didn't know that existed. However, K-State didn't have to kick to Oregon after it; Oregon did a normal kickoff to K-State. So, it was basically like Oregon made the PAT - makes sense to me. The thing that doesn't make sense is why the K-State player decided to run backwards into the endzone - I watched it again and the K State player actually caught the ball on the three yard line.

Wander
01-03-2013, 11:06 PM
One of my favorite sports trivia questions is asking how a football team can end up with a final score of 1.

In theory, you can have a crazy situation where there's a 1 point safety in the other direction - Kansas State recovers the extra point, runs 99 yards, fumbles, an Oregon player picks it up, then gets tackled in that end zone. So Oregon gets 6 points and KSU gets 1 on the touchdown. Not surprisingly, this has never happened, but technically possible.

I think 1 point safeties don't exist in the NFL.

Newton_14
01-03-2013, 11:14 PM
On a related note, in our bowl game, the extra point was blocked on the first TD we scored. Martin picked it up behind the line of scrimmage and almost ran it in. They actually called him as in at first then overturned it on the replay. My question is, had Ross got in, would that have been worth 1 point or 2?

loran16
01-03-2013, 11:17 PM
On a related note, in our bowl game, the extra point was blocked on the first TD we scored. Martin picked it up behind the line of scrimmage and almost ran it in. They actually called him as in at first then overturned it on the replay. My question is, had Casey got in, would that have been worth 1 point or 2?

Casey? Anyhow it would've been 2 points had Ross got it in.

Newton_14
01-03-2013, 11:20 PM

Dang, that was quite the snafu on my part. It is late and my brain hurts is the only excuse I can muster. Thanks for the correction.

Duvall
01-03-2013, 11:25 PM

But if there had been a scrum for the blocked kick and a Cincinnati player had knocked the ball back through his own end zone, that would have been a 1 point safety for Duke, yes?

uh_no
01-03-2013, 11:34 PM
But if there had been a scrum for the blocked kick and a Cincinnati player had knocked the ball back through his own end zone, that would have been a 1 point safety for Duke, yes?

it would be a one point safety.

per my understanding, it's just like a normal play, except what would normally be a TD is 2 points, and what would normally be a safety is 1

-bdbd
01-03-2013, 11:39 PM
Dang, that was quite the snafu on my part. It is late and my brain hurts is the only excuse I can muster. Thanks for the correction.

I was there. In fact in the second row right by that goal-line/pylon. The ref on the spot actually paused for 1-2 seconds before finally raising his arms to indicate we'd scored the 2 point conversion. They actually had us ata score of 8 on the scoreboard for a minute or two, until it was over-ruled on the replay. FWIW, I later watched it on TIVO, and the announcers were questioning whether there was anything definitive to see on the replay in order to overturn the call on the field. While he might well have had a knee hit before the ball crossed the plane, it was really impossible to tell for sure from the replay. Not the last time in that game that the refs were extremely hesitant and waffling in making calls that favored Cincy --- the waving-off of the made 52 yard FG at the end of the half also comes to mind too as, on the replay, the ref standing by the holder/kicker shows no indication of any stoppage prior to the snap and kick. Yet the kick was cancelled thanks to Cincy's "unsportsmanlike" (Cut's words a few seconds later to the pre-halftime interviewer) last second substitution of a 12th player just before the ball was hiked. As we all know the re-kick then sailed a foot left.

oldnavy
01-04-2013, 06:07 PM
I was stumped once watching an NFL game. The Jaguars had scored at the end of regulation to go up by one point. Game over right? Nope, they actually have to kick the extra point with no time on the clock. I thought this was a big mistake on the Jags part because I thought that the other team could block the kick and run it back for a 2 point safety like in college. However, I found out that the NFL rules do not allow for a 2 point safeties on a blocked PAT, AND the NFL requires teams to attempt all PAT's (even when time is out) regardless of impact on the game or outcome. Not sure why they make a team kick the PAT with no time on the clock when you have already won the game. Maybe has something to do with point spreads??? Who knows?

Question? If a player is fouled at the end of a NCAA Men's BB game on a scoring play that wins the game does he have to shoot the FT?

Say, MP2 dunks the ball as the buzzer sounds for us to win at UNC-CH by one and is fouled. Does he have to attempt the FT with no time on the clock and us ahead by 1 point???

I wouldn't think so..... anyone know?

Acymetric
01-04-2013, 06:14 PM
I was stumped once watching an NFL game. The Jaguars had scored at the end of regulation to go up by one point. Game over right? Nope, they actually have to kick the extra point with no time on the clock. I thought this was a big mistake on the Jags part because I thought that the other team could block the kick and run it back for a 2 point safety like in college. However, I found out that the NFL rules do not allow for a 2 point safeties on a blocked PAT, AND the NFL requires teams to attempt all PAT's (even when time is out) regardless of impact on the game or outcome. Not sure why they make a team kick the PAT with no time on the clock when you have already won the game. Maybe has something to do with point spreads??? Who knows?

Question? If a player is fouled at the end of a NCAA Men's BB game on a scoring play that wins the game does he have to shoot the FT?

Say, MP2 dunks the ball as the buzzer sounds for us to win at UNC-CH by one and is fouled. Does he have to attempt the FT with no time on the clock and us ahead by 1 point???

That is exactly why they do it from what I understand.

jimsumner
01-04-2013, 11:01 PM

At one time, point differential was part of the NFL's tie-breaking procedures for making the playoffs. Pretty far down the list. I don't think that's still the case but could be mistaken. But I believe that was the rationale behind having to kick the PAT.

uh_no
01-05-2013, 12:55 AM
At one time, point differential was part of the NFL's tie-breaking procedures for making the playoffs. Pretty far down the list. I don't think that's still the case but could be mistaken. But I believe that was the rationale behind having to kick the PAT.

absolutely still is in the form of net points (though it used to be points for followed by points against)

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures