PDA

View Full Version : Radio feed for Wake game in the Atlanta area?

CDu
01-03-2013, 10:01 PM
Hey folks, I will be driving South on I85 to visit family on Saturday. I should be nearing Atlanta by gametime. I was wondering if folks in Atlanta (or perhaps a bit North of Atlanta on the I85 path) know of a radio station (AM/FM - no satellite) I can tune into to catch the game? Any guidance would be much appreciated.

TruBlu
01-04-2013, 07:44 AM
There is no Duke radio affiliate in Georgia, and I doubt that there is a Wake affiliate.

I would suggest that you take a driving "break" at either:

1) Exit 115 - Drop the family off at the Mall of Georgia, and go to the Tilted Kilt across the street for
watching the game on TV.

2) Exit 104 - Drop the family off at Gwinnett Mall, and go across the street to Hooters.

Both facilities mentioned above have excellent "viewing" other than the wide-screen televisions.

Be sure that when you drop the family off, you give them only an expired credit card.

CDu
01-04-2013, 11:14 AM
There is no Duke radio affiliate in Georgia, and I doubt that there is a Wake affiliate.

I would suggest that you take a driving "break" at either:

1) Exit 115 - Drop the family off at the Mall of Georgia, and go to the Tilted Kilt across the street for
watching the game on TV.

2) Exit 104 - Drop the family off at Gwinnett Mall, and go across the street to Hooters.

Both facilities mentioned above have excellent "viewing" other than the wide-screen televisions.

Be sure that when you drop the family off, you give them only an expired credit card.

Thanks for the heads up. I realize that there won't be a Duke (or Wake) feed, but I was hoping that maybe the game would be on a national broadcast. If so, are there any particular stations to look for?

I do appreciate the tips for where to catch the game on TV. Unfortunately, I've got an 11-hour drive and a pet in the car, so I don't think I'll be able to stop to watch the game. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that the game ends up on a national radio feed.

TruBlu
01-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I realize that there won't be a Duke (or Wake) feed, but I was hoping that maybe the game would be on a national broadcast. If so, are there any particular stations to look for?

I do appreciate the tips for where to catch the game on TV. Unfortunately, I've got an 11-hour drive and a pet in the car, so I don't think I'll be able to stop to watch the game. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that the game ends up on a national radio feed.

The two sports stations in Atlanta are 680AM and 790 AM, but again I doubt if they will be carrying anything related to Duke/Wake. You more than likely will be getting a dose of UGA/SEC crap, or baseball hot stove talk. I did a quick check on their website, but could not find what they will be broadcasting Saturday at noon.

Good luck! Maybe someone else can pitch in with more useful info.

sagegrouse
01-04-2013, 12:01 PM
The two sports stations in Atlanta are 680AM and 790 AM, but again I doubt if they will be carrying anything related to Duke/Wake. You more than likely will be getting a dose of UGA/SEC crap, or baseball hot stove talk. I did a quick check on their website, but could not find what they will be broadcasting Saturday at noon.

Well, there is always Sirius XM. -- sage

CDu
01-04-2013, 12:05 PM

Thanks! I do appreciate the input, and I will certainly keep those ideas in mind for future travel. I suspect you're right that I'll be out of luck with the radio. If it were NCAA tourney time, I might have better fortunes, but I don't doubt that January radio will be centered around UGa, Falcons, or Braves talk. Oh well, that's what I get for agreeing to drive on a game day.

I may also try to figure out if I can make it happen via my phone. So I would also take any recommendations for clever ideas for phone listenership in the likely event that the car radio stations don't cut it.

Edouble
01-04-2013, 12:05 PM

I second all of this. Those two stations are probably your only chance, and they are not college basketball friendly.

CDu
01-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Well, there is always Sirius XM. -- sage

Yeah, I don't have Sirius, and I'm not planning to get an account just for this weekend. Was hoping to find a free alternative. I realize that may not be possible, but it was/is worth a shot.

TruBlu
01-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Thanks! I do appreciate the input, and I will certainly keep those ideas in mind for future travel. I suspect you're right that I'll be out of luck with the radio. If it were NCAA tourney time, I might have better fortunes, but I don't doubt that January radio will be centered around UGa, Falcons, or Braves talk. Oh well, that's what I get for agreeing to drive on a game day.

I may also try to figure out if I can make it happen via my phone. So I would also take any recommendations for clever ideas for phone listenership in the likely event that the car radio stations don't cut it.

Not even during ACC/NCAA tourney time. A few years ago, my family attended the ACC tourney in Hotlanta (where we live), which Duke won. We got into the car after the celebration, hoping to tune into some post game coverage on the radio . . . Hot Stove Baseball. Even the Ga Tech affiliate stopped covering the tourney once they were eliminated.

Lid
01-04-2013, 03:40 PM

If your phone is an option, I've had some luck with an iPhone app called TuneIn radio. If I were you, I'd print out a list of Duke Radio Network affiliates and try those on the app. I've usually been able to find one that's carrying Bob Harris.

CDu
01-04-2013, 03:43 PM
If your phone is an option, I've had some luck with an iPhone app called TuneIn radio. If I were you, I'd print out a list of Duke Radio Network affiliates and try those on the app. I've usually been able to find one that's carrying Bob Harris.

Intriguing. I'll take a look. Much appreciated. Maybe there's hope for me yet!

David Bunkley
01-04-2013, 04:20 PM
If you are an insider and you have the app, you can listen to the game on your iPhone or Droid.

hood7
01-04-2013, 05:23 PM
If you are an insider and you have the app, you can listen to the game on your iPhone or Droid.

There's also an iPhone app for WRAL SportsFan 620. I'm not sure if they are doing the Duke-Wake game tomorrow, but it's possible. I haven't tried to listen to an actual game on that app, but I've listened to post-game stuff and it works fine.

-jk
01-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Sometimes stations on Tune-in radio don't blank the feed as they're supposed to. GoDuke has a list of affiliates.

-jk

msdukie
01-04-2013, 08:47 PM
There's also an iPhone app for WRAL SportsFan 620. I'm not sure if they are doing the Duke-Wake game tomorrow, but it's possible. I haven't tried to listen to an actual game on that app, but I've listened to post-game stuff and it works fine.

WRAL's phone apps and streams are blocked during the games and national sports radio is played over them.