PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs Davidson (1-2-13)

Newton_14
01-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Who was the Man Of The Match?

FerryFor50
01-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Ryan Kelly, in my opinion. But Quinn was solid as always.

Newton_14
01-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Ryan Kelly, in my opinion. But Quinn was solid as always.

Agree. Kelly was good from start to finish and held us in it early while breaking it open with key threes. Well done Mr Kelly. Honorable Mention to Quinn Cook.

ArkieDukie
01-02-2013, 09:14 PM
RK saved our bacon on multiple occasions.

mapei
01-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Ryan is the obvious choice - we might not have even stayed in the game without him - but I voted for Tyler. I thought the energy of the game changed when he was in, and I suspect his stats were good, too. RK kept us in it but TT was a key reason why we pulled away. Agree that Quinn was very good again, too.

drcharl
01-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Good sign that we have players who can step up when one or two of our top scorers has a off night.

Saratoga2
01-02-2013, 09:23 PM
I thought Ryan played excellently on both offense and defense and was the difference in the game. I agree that Quinn should also get honorable mention. The more experience this kid gains, the better he gets. He has got to be one of the top 10 point guards in NCAA ball at this point.

drcharl
01-02-2013, 09:24 PM
What an exhibition! - The teams combined for 32 of 35.

Newton_14
01-02-2013, 09:29 PM
I thought Ryan played excellently on both offense and defense and was the difference in the game. I agree that Quinn should also get honorable mention. The more experience this kid gains, the better he gets. He has got to be one of the top 10 point guards in NCAA ball at this point.

Totally agree on both points, and man ain't it nice to have a genuine PG who is one of the best in the country. When the offense bogs down, Quinn can get buckets, which is huge. Superb ball handling, superb quickness, pesky on ball defender, and great passer/distributor. I was very worried after watching his play in CTC and the two exhibitions, but man has he turned it around and developed in a hurry. Very fun to watch.

DukieInBrasil
01-02-2013, 09:36 PM
prob'ly first time i've voted Ryan as MOTM this year. He was the lone stand-out player up until the end of the game when Quinn's stall-ball management was so effective. Ryan had a very nice game.

cptnflash
01-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Ryan Kelly in a landslide. 18 points on 8 official FG attempts, 3 of 4 from the 3-point line, 7 boards, and only one turnover. Plus he had primary defensive responsibilities on De'Mon Brooks, Davidson's best offensive player, and held him to 8 points on 4 of 13 shooting. In fact, I'm not sure Brooks scored other than on putbacks from his 4 offensive rebounds. In the half court, Ryan completely neutralized him. Way to go, R-Kels!

SCMatt33
01-02-2013, 10:06 PM
I gave it to Quinn for the way he beautifully salted away the last 7:30 minutes of that game. From about 7:30 minutes to about :30 (so leaving out the possession where Duke ran the clock out), each team had 10 possessions. Quinn running the stall-fense slowed the game down to a 57 possession per game pace, and Duke scored 15 points to Davidson's 8 in that time. Starting the stall-fense that soon with only a 10 point lead got me a little nervous, but maestro Quinn had Davidson chasing him all over the place and then got whatever he wanted at the end of the possession. I've seen a lot of Duke games like that end up coming down to the final possessions, but Quinn kept that from happening. BTW, before the stall-fense, Duke scored just under a point per possession in this game as opposed to a point and a half per possession in the stall-fense.

sagegrouse
01-02-2013, 10:10 PM
I voted for Ryan because his points were timely. The other candidates were Tyler Thornton and, of course, Quinn Cook. Tyler's two threes were daggers. Quinn, as many have noted, took over the end of the game.

sagegrouse

tbyers11
01-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Hockey style awards tonight because I thought 3 players deserved mention

Third star - Tyler Thornton - He was solid as usual on D. A couple of timely 3s in the second half, 4-4 FTs and a sweet dish to Mason for a key dunk. 10 pts is his 2nd highest total of the year.

Second star- Quinn Cook - GREAT second half. Awesome ball pressure on the PG set the defensive tone innyhe second half. Great work on the floaters and masterful control in the spread delay at the end. Nice to have a PG who can control a game. Almost made him first star for his finish

Third star - Ryan Kelly - Versatile offensive game tonight. Great defense on Brooks and overall. Kept us in the game offensively in the first half. 18 and 7.

PumpkinFunk
01-03-2013, 12:30 AM
3 guys really outshone the rest today - Ryan, Quinn, and Tyler. Ryan was just outstanding on both ends, and although he was frustrating with his overdramaticism, he played great. Quinn and Tyler were also great on both ends of the court and just made some spectacular plays.

Seth also looked quite good after the slow shooting start - I decided to watch him on defense today, and although he gave up a lot of rebounds, he played quite well. We had an amazing game, defensively, and he was a big part of that. It looked a bit like the Steve Nash gameplan (switching to cover him up as much as possible) but he made some plays. And of course, Sheed was as solid as ever, not flashy but with some nice stats.

With that being said: Ryan gets my vote today. He was the best player tonight, hands down.