PDA

View Full Version : Gov. Corbett Suing NCAA

Philadukie
01-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Thought many of you would find this interesting.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/01/gov_corbett_may_challenge_ncaa.html

Those of us in PA will obviously be watching this very closely. I'm not a Penn Stater (Duke and UPenn alum), but many of my friends and colleagues are, and I know that they now harbor a deep resentment toward the NCAA. From a political standpoint, Corbett's approval ratings have been down lately, and this will likely help him going into the next election cycle. In any case, would love to hear the thoughts of some of the legal and NCAA experts on here.

sagegrouse
01-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Thought many of you would find this interesting.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/01/gov_corbett_may_challenge_ncaa.html

Those of us in PA will obviously be watching this very closely. I'm not a Penn Stater (Duke and UPenn alum), but many of my friends and colleagues are, and I know that they now harbor a deep resentment toward the NCAA. From a political standpoint, Corbett's approval ratings have been down lately, and this will likely help him going into the next election cycle. In any case, would love to hear the thoughts of some of the legal and NCAA experts on here.

The interesting part is that he filed suit before new Attorney General-elect Kathleen Kane takes office in a couple. Kane criticzed the Corbett Administration's delays in moving against Sandusky.

sagegrouse

moonpie23
01-03-2013, 10:19 PM
the suit makes reference to the UNC scandal.......this might be the straw that breaks this thing wide open.....that, and the new NC governor wants to see something happen with regard to a legislative investigation...

DevilWearsPrada
01-04-2013, 11:41 AM
To quote my Mother, (RIP Mama)..... "That will take a Philadelphia Lawyer to figure that out." I heard Mama say that over 1000 times.

The Wiki definition is:

Philadelphia lawyer

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See also: Philadelphia Lawyer (song)

Philadelphia Lawyer is a term to describe a lawyer who knows the most detailed and minute points of law or is an exceptionally competent lawyer. Its first usage dates back to 1788.[1] Alternatively, "the ultimate in crooked lawyers".[2]
Philadelphia-based Colonial American lawyer Andrew Hamilton, a lawyer best known for his legal victory on behalf of printer and newspaper publisher John Peter Zenger, is believed to have inspired the "Philadelphia lawyer" term. This 1735 decision helped to establish that truth is a defense to an accusation of libel.[3]

[edit] References

1.^ Philadelphia lawyer. Definition at Merriam-Webster
2.^ Ed Cray, "Ethnic and Place Names as Derisive Adjectives," Western Folklore 21 (1962): page 33
3.^ "Philadelphia lawyer". Word for the Wise. Merriam-Webster. 2006-12-21. Retrieved 2008-08-04.