PDA

View Full Version : Going to Canada (passport?)

EarlJam
08-14-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm planning on seeing the O's play Toronto at Skydome the weekend of Sept. 14.

I've never been to Canada.

Do I need a passport? I'm flying from Atlanta to Toronto (I'll be on a plane).

-EarlJam

rthomas
08-14-2007, 03:22 PM
yes, both ways.

TillyGalore
08-14-2007, 03:24 PM

-EarlJam

Please yell out a few cheers from me. Pretty please?!? (big pout on my face)

EarlJam
08-14-2007, 03:24 PM
yes, both ways.

Sh&t!

Thanks.

Mine expired a few years ago. I don't know if I can get a new one in time for the trip. That would be a freakin' shame.

-EarlJam

rthomas
08-14-2007, 03:29 PM
http://gocanada.about.com/od/canadatraveloverview/qt/uscitizenborder.htm

This says:
US Citizens Visiting Canada by Air
Until September 30, 2007, American citizens flying to Canada do not need a passport if they can show the following:

1. Department of State official proof of passport application

AND

2. Government-issued photo identification.

The US government announced June 8, 2007, that it had relaxed earlier stricter requirements due to a backlog of passport applications. Thus, until September 30, 2007, visitors to Canada arriving by air need only present proof of passport application rather than a passport itself. These requirements are less strict than those originally mandated in January 2007 by the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI).

EarlJam
08-14-2007, 03:34 PM
http://gocanada.about.com/od/canadatraveloverview/qt/uscitizenborder.htm

This says:
US Citizens Visiting Canada by Air
Until September 30, 2007, American citizens flying to Canada do not need a passport if they can show the following:

1. Department of State official proof of passport application

AND

2. Government-issued photo identification.

The US government announced June 8, 2007, that it had relaxed earlier stricter requirements due to a backlog of passport applications. Thus, until September 30, 2007, visitors to Canada arriving by air need only present proof of passport application rather than a passport itself. These requirements are less strict than those originally mandated in January 2007 by the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI).

Hot Dayyymn, I can go! RThomas, awesome info. Thanks!

(Had to change "yahoo" to "hot dayyymn." With the search engine, 'Yahoo' just doesn't mean what it used to.

colchar
08-14-2007, 03:48 PM

-EarlJam

If you choose to drive you won't need one to get in to Canada but you would probably need one to go home.

colchar
08-14-2007, 03:50 PM

The Skydome's name was changed to the Rogers Center a while ago because Ted Rogers and Rogers Communication bought the building (along with the team IIRC). But nobody up here calls it anything other than the Skydome or the Dome. I love the fact that you, being in Atlanta, still use the old name too. Rogers must be pissed.

aimo
08-15-2007, 02:37 PM
go to the CN Tower and walk over the glass floor. It overlooks the Skydome, or whatever it's called. I almost peed myself, myself.

colchar
08-15-2007, 03:21 PM
go to the CN Tower and walk over the glass floor. It overlooks the Skydome, or whatever it's called. I almost peed myself, myself.

I'm pertrified of heights and refuse to walk on that. Ever.

EarlJam
08-15-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm pertrified of heights and refuse to walk on that. Ever.

That sounds scary as hell - but I, EarlJam, will do it.

Hey Colchar, where in Canada do you live? Near Toronto? Can you make that game?

Anyone in Canada? I've never met a real Canadian before.

-EarlJam

EarlJam
08-15-2007, 04:49 PM
That's the cheapest airfare I can currently find (Atlanta to Toronto).

$520.00

EarlJam wishes not to pay that amount. Seems a bit steep.

Anyone got any suggestions or inside connections?

-EarlJam

Jim3k
08-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Take your expired passport anyway. 'Expired' does not mean its information is bad. All they can do is yell at you.

You don't have time, but if you do send in your old passport for renewal (now a 6-8 week wait), you can get a letter from the State Department saying you have reapplied for one. But...to get the letter will take about 2 weeks (even if you can get it on-line).

The old one is still good for ID purposes. The only thing out of date would be your picture and the fee. Also you aren't electronically trackable.

EarlJam
08-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Take your expired passport anyway. 'Expired' does not mean its information is bad. All they can do is yell at you.

You don't have time, but if you do send in your old passport for renewal (now a 6-8 week wait), you can get a letter from the State Department saying you have reapplied for one. But...to get the letter will take about 2 weeks (even if you can get it on-line).

The old one is still good for ID purposes. The only thing out of date would be your picture and the fee. Also you aren't electronically trackable.

Thanks Jim3K. Only thing is, I've moved a few times since it expired and I'm not exactly sure I can find it. It takes 2 weeks just to get a letter confirming that I've applied? Geesh.

Would it just be easier to fly into some place near the border and cab it across?

Earl "in a" Jam

Rich
08-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Catch a ride with Michel Fournier! I bet it's better than the glass floor!

EarlJam
08-15-2007, 05:04 PM
Catch a ride with Michel Fournier! I bet it's better than the glass floor!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Canada!

merry
08-15-2007, 05:22 PM
For the benefit of those of you in the south east this week, I am in the Toronto area right now having flown up from RDU yesterday. Last night we sat outside for dinner and appreciated the cool Canadian breezes. Our host & business partner says tonight we may not be able to sit outside since it seems "kind of humid today". Those of us from the Triangle disagree with this characterization - too us it seems like fantastic weather.

EarlJam
08-15-2007, 05:25 PM
For the benefit of those of you in the south east this week, I am in the Toronto area right now having flown up from RDU yesterday. Last night we sat outside for dinner and appreciated the cool Canadian breezes. Our host & business partner says tonight we may not be able to sit outside since it seems "kind of humid today". Those of us from the Triangle disagree with this characterization - too us it seems like fantastic weather.

Merry,

Was it a pain in the arse to get there? I don't mind jumping through all the hoops to get to London or Tokyo or Havana, but Toronto? It's practically in the U.S.

I'm getting a gut feeling that getting there for my trip is going to be a real pain. Sounds like it's worth it though.

kexman
08-15-2007, 09:03 PM
fly to buffalo or detroit and drive across. It will be easier and probably cheaper. Plus you can get wings in Buffalo!

hurleyfor3
08-15-2007, 09:23 PM

$520.00

-EarlJam

Well, I've got more frequent flyer miles than I need, but they're all on United.

mapei
08-15-2007, 09:58 PM
FWIW, I have just noticed that EarlJam has started 9 of the 20 threads on the front page. Hey, you da man, and it's fun to a point. But maybe we could just have an Earljam thread or something instead?

colchar
08-15-2007, 10:14 PM
That sounds scary as hell - but I, EarlJam, will do it.

Hey Colchar, where in Canada do you live? Near Toronto? Can you make that game?

Anyone in Canada? I've never met a real Canadian before.

-EarlJam

Yeah I am near Toronto. I grew up 15 minutes outside the city and my parents still live in the same house. I currently live about an hour away but it would be easy for me to jump on the highway and make my way there.

I'm not sure what my scedule is like that weekend in terms of preparing for classes I have to teach, etc. but let me look into it (I will know for certain around 5 September). Even if I can't make the game, I could most likely make it for a drink or twelve.

colchar
08-15-2007, 10:21 PM

$520.00

-EarlJam

Air Canada can get you here and back (depending on which flights and days you choose) for $501. There have to be cheaper flights out there somewhere. I am sure there are plenty of discount carriers in the US that can get you here for significantly less than that. Heck, for that $500 I can (and have) fly to Britain.

colchar
08-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Thanks Jim3K. Only thing is, I've moved a few times since it expired and I'm not exactly sure I can find it. It takes 2 weeks just to get a letter confirming that I've applied? Geesh.

Would it just be easier to fly into some place near the border and cab it across?

Earl "in a" Jam

Cab it from the US border to Toronto? Yeah right. The flight will cost you less than the cab fare.

colchar
08-15-2007, 10:23 PM

Wish I had known you were in town.

And my roommate and I were remarking earlier today that we have had a mild summer compared to last year.

Where in the Toronto "area" are you exactly?

EarlJam
08-15-2007, 11:32 PM
FWIW, I have just noticed that EarlJam has started 9 of the 20 threads on the front page. Hey, you da man, and it's fun to a point. But maybe we could just have an Earljam thread or something instead?

Holy sh&t. Have I offended? I hope I haven't. Don't mean too. Just addicted. It's kind of a compliment, ya know?

-EarlJam

Lavabe
08-16-2007, 07:08 AM

EarlJam averages roughly 2 new threads per day, but had one day where he came up with 4 or 5. On that day, EarlJam apologized, as he was having difficulty figuring out how to put it into a poll (the three lyric-based threads). He also submitted one that he meant to submit in another. I imagine that activity on the off-topic board will change once basketball season returns.

Due to both low activity on other topics AND due to how long EJ's topics seem to stick (e.g., the JOKES thread, dude jumping into a Saskatchewan wheat field, etc...), we are in a phase in which 9 or so EJ threads are on the first off-topic page. All it takes is a few new posts on some older threads (e.g., reality-show threads, book reviews, kite-flying, travel) and a couple new threads (e.g., movie reviews) to address the issue.

I'm wondering if some sort of folder function exists, as the offtopic board is expanding quickly. The popular "if you were stranded"/soundtrack music list threads recently appeared, but are very similar. Travel threads seem to emerge the same way. Perhaps it's just the nature of the off-topic board. Many topics DO emerge.

I do like the emergence of the "all things related to one topic" type threads, such as the one for cycling. Even if it's bumped to page two, I know it's there, and I know where to post.

Cheers,
Lavabe

TillyGalore
08-16-2007, 09:12 AM

$520.00

-EarlJam

I found the following flights for $393 on Orbitz. The times are not ideal in my book, but this isn't about me.

Leave

Fri, Sep 14

US Airways 2640
operated by MESA DBA AMERICA WEST EXPRESS
US Airways

Depart:
5:30am
Arrive:
6:47am

Atlanta, GA (ATL)
Charlotte, NC (CLT)
1 stop

* Economy
* 1hr 17min
* Canadair 900
* View seats

Change planes. Time between flights: 2hr 43min

US Airways 3468
operated by US AIRWAYS EXPRESS-REPUBLIC AIRLINES
US Airways

Depart:
9:30am
Arrive:
11:26am

Charlotte, NC (CLT)
Toronto, Canada (YYZ)

* Economy
* 1hr 56min
* Embraer 170
* View seats

Total duration: 5hr 56min

Choose this return

Return

Sun, Sep 16

US Airways 1818
US Airways

Depart:
6:30am
Arrive:
8:39am

Toronto, Canada (YYZ)
Charlotte, NC (CLT)
1 stop

* Economy
* 2hr 9min
* Boeing 737
* View seats

Change planes. Time between flights: 3hr 6min

US Airways 1400
US Airways

Depart:
11:45am
Arrive:
1:09pm

Charlotte, NC (CLT)
Atlanta, GA (ATL)

* Economy
* 1hr 24min
* Boeing 737
* View seats

Total duration: 6hr 39min

P.S. After looking at the page I pulled up a little more closely (should have done that before posting the above) I found more reasonable flight times, later in the morning both days.

colchar
08-16-2007, 10:22 AM
FWIW, I have just noticed that EarlJam has started 9 of the 20 threads on the front page.

So? What does it matter?

EarlJam
08-16-2007, 10:52 AM

Now that I think about it, I can't believe you actually conducted a thread count on this. Awesome.

EarlJam
08-16-2007, 10:57 AM
So? What does it matter?

Agreed. I love youz guyz. And while there have been plenty of silly, "fun to a point" posts, I've actually learned a lot here and you all are an incredible resource for information.

Sure, it may be a bit over the top at times, but daymn. Agreed. What does it matter?

-EarlJam

mapei
08-16-2007, 10:37 PM
EarlJam, no oiffense meant on the thread count. Just barroom banter, ya know? A little bit of a poke but far from a big one! I figured you could take it. ;)

EarlJam
08-16-2007, 11:57 PM
EarlJam, no oiffense meant on the thread count. Just barroom banter, ya know? A little bit of a poke but far from a big one! I figured you could take it. ;)

I took it. It was good. Beyond good. Seriously, it's cool. Mapei is on my "Cool Mutha F^ka list."

-EarlJam

mapei
08-17-2007, 10:09 AM
BTW, my misspelling of "oiffense" wasn't intentional, but I think it fits so I'm keeping it.

Indoor66
08-17-2007, 10:12 AM
I took it. It was good. Beyond good. Seriously, it's cool. Mapei is on my "Cool Mutha F^ka list."

-EarlJam

Hey Earl, I enjoy humor, I enjoy sarcasm, I enjoy "cute" but I don't enjoy the dirty language. Please tone it down, just for me. Thanks.

EarlJam
08-17-2007, 10:52 AM
BTW, my misspelling of "oiffense" wasn't intentional, but I think it fits so I'm keeping it.

I noticed that and liked it as well. Pronounced, "Oy Fence?" Dig it.

-Earljam