PDA

View Full Version : Finally! ACC Wins: Clemson 25 LSU 24

Newton_14
12-31-2012, 11:18 PM
Congrats to Klemnop as his team got it done the hard way in beating a stout LSU team. Key play was getting a first down on 4th and 16 on the final drive.

Well done.

Wander
01-01-2013, 09:15 AM
Wow, Clemson's O-line was completely dominated in the parts that I saw, but I guess when your skill players are that much better, you can make up for that. Combined with Georgia Tech's win over USC gives the ACC a respectable bowl season, if FSU also wins.

We should know more about the SEC after today, though it sucks that they play mostly Big 10 and not Big 12 teams.

House G
01-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Congrats to Klemnop as his team got it done the hard way in beating a stout LSU team. Key play was getting a first down on 4th and 16 on the final drive.

Well done.

Am I supposed to get vicarious satisfaction from a Clemson win? I sure as hell don't enjoy Carolina winning at anything. Is it ok to pull for some teams in the ACC but not others? In some sports but not others? I'll concede that it helps the conference.

sagegrouse
01-01-2013, 09:57 AM
Tweren't no fluke. Clemson outgained LSU 445 to 219. What hurt Clemson was a fumble early (first play?) and a quick LSU touchdown.

And yes, we want ACC teams to win bowl games. GT just pummeled USC. Vandy, unhappily, did the same to NC State.

What's up with the PAC 12? Only Arizona State has won: UCLA, Oregon State and the Trojans lost.

sagegrouse

House G
01-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Tweren't no fluke. Clemson outgained LSU 445 to 219. What hurt Clemson was a fumble early (first play?) and a quick LSU touchdown.

And yes, we want ACC teams to win bowl games. GT just pummeled USC. Vandy, unhappily, did the same to NC State.

What's up with the PAC 12? Only Arizona State has won: UCLA, Oregon State and the Trojans lost.

sagegrouse

I guess we just have a difference of opinion. If Carolina were in a bowl game, would you want them to win? If Carolina were playing Kentucky for the NC in basketball, would you want them to win? I would hold my nose and pull against Carolina. I doubt there is a single LSU fan in this country who wants Alabama to beat Notre Dame. I believe conference loyalty should go out the window when it concerns your arch-rival.

Olympic Fan
01-01-2013, 12:22 PM
I guess we just have a difference of opinion. If Carolina were in a bowl game, would you want them to win? If Carolina were playing Kentucky for the NC in basketball, would you want them to win? I would hold my nose and pull against Carolina. I doubt there is a single LSU fan in this country who wants Alabama to beat Notre Dame. I believe conference loyalty should go out the window when it concerns your arch-rival.

In the first place, who the heck is talking about pulling for UNC?

They aren't in a bowl game.

I have no gripe with Clemson or Georgia Tech -- I enjoyed their bowl wins. And when it comes to Duke football, their success helps raise the profile of the league. That helps everybody.

As for UNC, I used to pull for them outside the league because I respected the fact that they did things the right way ... I thought of them as honorable rivals. Of course, that's changed in the last few years with all the revelations of their academic shennanigans and -- worse in my mind -- the extreme efforts their administration has gone to cover up the scandal (how much hush money have they paid the likes of Blake, Davis, Wiley and the ADAM prof to keep their mouths shut?). The Martin report was a joke -- he co0nfessed that he never spoke to one person in the basketball program.

The point is that I will usually pull for an ACC rival outside the league -- exept the cheaters and right now, there isn't a bigger cheat than UNCheat.

But that's not a problem this bowl season -- because of their cheating, they were ineligible for a bowl.

DueBlevil
01-01-2013, 12:47 PM
I don't think anyone can say the ACC was substantially worse that the B1G or PAC-12 in terms of football quality this year, and the top of our league can compete with anyone. If/when we get a fair deal from ESPN in terms of our media contract, this talk of the ACC being the weakest conference on the verge of collapse (at least if you listen to some commentators) will disappear.

Newton_14
01-01-2013, 02:16 PM

The reason I see this is big is due to the ACC needing any big football win we can get. A win over a top tier team in the SEC is huge. Had it been Unc-ch-eat, I would have hoped LSU won by 50.

I generally pull for any ACC team not named UNC in non-conference games. Have no issue at all pulling for Clemson.

DU82
01-01-2013, 02:24 PM
The reason I see this is big is due to the ACC needing any big football win we can get. A win over a top tier team in the SEC is huge. Had it been Unc-ch-eat, I would have hoped LSU won by 50.

I generally pull for any ACC team not named UNC in non-conference games. Have no issue at all pulling for Clemson.

I rooted for the ACC to go 10-1 in the ACC-B1G challenge. (Wasn't sure how to count Maryland.)

I know enough Clemson grads at work to root for them other than when they play us, so it was easy last night. Glad to see them pull that one out. Wish they could have beat USC though at the end of the season.

Bob Green
01-01-2013, 04:18 PM
I watched the entire game and really enjoyed rooting for Clemson to win. Tajh Boyd clearly demonstrated why he deserved the ACC POY Award. He was superb in a bigtime win over an SEC opponent. This was a big win for the conference.

Newton_14
01-01-2013, 06:55 PM
I watched the entire game and really enjoyed rooting for Clemson to win. Tajh Boyd clearly demonstrated why he deserved the ACC POY Award. He was superb in a bigtime win over an SEC opponent. This was a big win for the conference.

He deserves the Iron Man award after last night Bob. Boyd took a beating. He had something close to 30 carries and not by design. That pass on 4th and 16 though, was unbelieveable. When the showed the replay from the overhead camera behind Boyd, you could not even see the Clemson receiver. He was triple covered, and Boyd dropped it in the receivers lap. I have no idea how he did that. Impressive.

Scorp4me
01-01-2013, 09:06 PM
I think conference expansion has made conference loyalty (ironically) more important. Need the ACC to look strong. Clemson won on a last second field goal, but dominated the stats. Duke lost but also had control of the stats and looked good. GTech did great. VTech needed overtime to win, but they played them strong. Only State didn't look great. Now just hope for a FSU win and the bowl season will be pretty good.

Wander
01-01-2013, 09:52 PM
The NIU receivers are being completely owned by the FSU corners. I think they're going to need some big special teams or defensive plays to have a shot here.

ForkFondler
01-01-2013, 10:08 PM
I think conference expansion has made conference loyalty (ironically) more important. Need the ACC to look strong. Clemson won on a last second field goal, but dominated the stats. Duke lost but also had control of the stats and looked good. GTech did great. VTech needed overtime to win, but they played them strong. Only State didn't look great. Now just hope for a FSU win and the bowl season will be pretty good.

I agree, but I think a further sentiment is justified for FSU: They had damn well better win.

-bdbd
01-01-2013, 11:00 PM

sagegrouse

Yes, agree 110% -- it is VERY good for Duke if the ACC has a good bowl showing. VPI, GaTech and Clemson wins over solid "name" schools looks good for conference respectability, finally. But we gotta win the top 2 to expect respect this year. And with FSU dominating NIU, and up 14-3 at half, things are looking good. That is how, hopefully, you earn multiple BCS bids foir next year! Unfortunately FSU is in a "no win" situation -- win and it was "expected," but lose and watch the ACC naysayers come out in droves!! (BTW, though a win would have been much better, Duke's showing probably wasn't harmful to the ACC either.)

Like was said, I was hoping for the ACC to go 10-1 in the Big10-ACC challenge....

:D