PDA

View Full Version : Semi Ojeleye

Struggling golfer
12-31-2012, 01:51 AM
Most of you have forgotten more about Duke recruiting then I have knowledge in , so my question is, is Semi Ojeleye a big time recruit? Is he someone who can be a difference maker, a valuable asset or one who will see very few minutes and be mostly an observer next year?

Once again, my knowledge of high school players is limited to what I read. I thought that Alex ,( is that his first name ?), Murphy was going to be a big contributor this year especially since he was red shirted last year and had the opportunity to practice with the team and learn the nuances of Coach K's system. Yet, I seem to be wrong in that he rarely plays much. Is it his defense or is he just not as good as people initially thought?

Thank you.

BD80
12-31-2012, 09:47 AM
Most of you have forgotten more about Duke recruiting then I have knowledge in , so my question is, is Semi Ojeleye a big time recruit? Is he someone who can be a difference maker, a valuable asset or one who will see very few minutes and be mostly an observer next year?

Once again, my knowledge of high school players is limited to what I read. I thought that Alex ,( is that his first name ?), Murphy was going to be a big contributor this year especially since he was red shirted last year and had the opportunity to practice with the team and learn the nuances of Coach K's system. Yet, I seem to be wrong in that he rarely plays much. Is it his defense or is he just not as good as people initially thought?

Thank you.

Struggling Golfer????

Come on Coach Roy, you can do better than that for a moniker!

As for Semi, I understand you don't really follow high school players until you hear Coach K is interested, and Duke's recruitment of Semi was possibly too quick for you to jump in, but he is very athletic but not really playing against top competition. Like Alex, it may take him a while to adjust to the level of talent and size and speed at the top of the DI game. I don't think he will be the outside threat Alex will be, but will be more of the springy, slashing presence that will not need the ball at first. Again, Roy, Semi has already committed, so you may as well just move on to the 2015 Recruiting thread for your intel. I do sincerely wish you the best on the golf course!

TruBlu
12-31-2012, 09:56 AM
Struggling Golfer????

As for Semi, I understand you don't really follow high school players until you hear Coach K is interested, and Duke's recruitment of Semi was possibly too quick for you to jump in, but he is very athletic but not really playing against top competition. Like Alex, it may take him a while to adjust to the level of talent and size and speed at the top of the DI game. I don't think he will be the outside threat Alex will be, but will be more of the springy, slashing presence that will not need the ball at first. Again, Roy, Semi has already committed, so you may as well just move on to the 2015 Recruiting thread for your intel. I do sincerely wish you the best on the golf course!

Could not spork you again so soon BD80, but well played! Just in case Struggling Golfer is not Coach Roy, welcome to the board.

Jderf
12-31-2012, 10:02 AM
Struggling Golfer????

POTY. Couldn't spork you either.

budwom
12-31-2012, 11:48 AM
Struggling Golfer????

A fine post. One quibble: Semi is in fact a very good three point shooter. He can run, defend and rebound. He's extremely strong. His major deficiency at this point is ballhandling.
All in all I think he's significantly underrated, and will be a valuable addition.

TexHawk
12-31-2012, 11:50 AM
Struggling Golfer????

[Full disclosure: I am a Kansas resident and KU fan.]

The bolded above is the key issue with Semi. He does not play in a competitive league. He is very athletic and super smart on the court, but I doubt you see him outside of garbage time in his first year. By the time he's a junior, he should be a quality starter, with all-conference ability.

There has been a kerfluffle or two lately that Semi's coaches have been keeping him in games with big leads so he can pad his stats, and possibly get a look as an McD AA. The "crazy" portion of the KU fanbase think this will bump Connor Frankamp (Wichita native, KU signee) out, as it's hard to see two small-ish town Kansas players making the McD AA team. Personally, I couldn't care less.

As an aside, Semi is a tremendous kid that comes from an amazing family that takes education very seriously. You all are lucky to have him.

timmy c
12-31-2012, 12:27 PM
POTY. Couldn't spork you either.

I agree, very well played!

As an aside, does Post Of The Year nominations run for the calendar year or for the basketball season?

Bob Green
12-31-2012, 12:55 PM
Using the RSCI rankings, Semi Ojeleye is currently ranked #28:

http://www.rscihoops.com/

Looking at past Duke recruits, Jon Scheyer was also ranked #28. Scheyer worked out okay starting as a freshman, being a dynamic sixth man as a sophomore and becoming a national champion as a senior. Of course, there is some sort of rule that says for every force there is an equal and opposite force, which I guess applies when comparing recruit rankings because Taylor King was ranked #27.

OldPhiKap
12-31-2012, 01:09 PM
Using the RSCI rankings, Semi Ojeleye is currently ranked #28:

http://www.rscihoops.com/

Looking at past Duke recruits, Jon Scheyer was also ranked #28. Scheyer worked out okay starting as a freshman, being a dynamic sixth man as a sophomore and becoming a national champion as a senior. Of course, there is some sort of rule that says for every force there is an equal and opposite force, which I guess applies when comparing recruit rankings because Taylor King was ranked #27.

Proving that a strong work ethic (or lack thereof) makes all the difference in the world.

ricks68
01-01-2013, 02:03 PM
[Full disclosure: I am a Kansas resident and KU fan.]

The bolded above is the key issue with Semi. He does not play in a competitive league. He is very athletic and super smart on the court, but I doubt you see him outside of garbage time in his first year. By the time he's a junior, he should be a quality starter, with all-conference ability.

There has been a kerfluffle or two lately that Semi's coaches have been keeping him in games with big leads so he can pad his stats, and possibly get a look as an McD AA. The "crazy" portion of the KU fanbase think this will bump Connor Frankamp (Wichita native, KU signee) out, as it's hard to see two small-ish town Kansas players making the McD AA team. Personally, I couldn't care less.

As an aside, Semi is a tremendous kid that comes from an amazing family that takes education very seriously. You all are lucky to have him.

Nice having some input from those in the know. Thanks.

ricks

OldPhiKap
01-01-2013, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the input, TexHawk, and hope to see you post more often. Always good to hear from knowledgeable fans with different perspectives and rooting interests.

DUKIECB
01-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Does anyone know the correct pronunciation of his name? I just watched the SI player of the week video and his coach was pronouncing his first name "Shemi" with the i being pronounced short. I'm not even going to venture a guess on the last name!

gumbomoop
01-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Does anyone know the correct pronunciation of his name? I just watched the SI player of the week video and his coach was pronouncing his first name "Shemi" with the i being pronounced short. I'm not even going to venture a guess on the last name!

Someone seems to know. From "Welcome to Duke" thread......

I asked a Nigerian friend that very question. I believe it's pronounced O-juh-LAY-yee. Emphasis on 1st & 3rd si-LAH-buhls.

CDu
01-02-2013, 11:01 AM

It would seem like the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th syllables should all make the same sound. I believe that English is the only language in which the same vowel makes different sounds. But, I am less familiar with African names, so I don't know if this construct applies or not.

Bluedog
01-02-2013, 11:10 AM

It would seem like the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th syllables should all make the same sound. I believe that English is the only language in which the same vowel makes different sounds. But, I am less familiar with African names, so I don't know if this construct applies or not.

If you go to the 34 second mark in this clip, this guy pronounces it (to his face and is congratulating him, so I'm sure he asked how to pronounce it ahead of time) as Sheh-mi Oh-jeh-lay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLIX5keVX84

The newsguy at the beginning pronounces it differently every time he says it, though, so who knows, haha. Definitely not an easy one.

Native
01-03-2013, 10:44 AM
Semi was named Sports Illustrated's Player of the Week last week. Get to know Semi here (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/video/highschool/20121227/high-school-player-of-the-week-semi-ojeleye.sportsillustrated/). Seems like an all-around high-character guy - a great fit for Duke.

dcar1985
01-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Semi dropped 56 last night in a game AND sat the entire 4th quarter..sheesh!

I've heard some say that the level of comp he's getting in Ottawa isn't that high, we sure he's even playing against HS kids? That's impressive any way you slice it.

Lord Ash
01-05-2013, 09:31 AM
I don't think his competition is too stiff. Still, he did perform well in AAU and the like.

dukedoc
02-09-2013, 07:57 PM
It may be difficult to extrapolate Semi's prodigious offensive output to the next level, but I'm pretty sure this move would translate well LINK (http://www.hudl.com/team/54891/#highlights/22885840)

OldPhiKap
02-09-2013, 08:02 PM
It may be difficult to extrapolate Semi's prodigious offensive output to the next level, but I'm pretty sure this move would translate well LINK (http://www.hudl.com/team/54891/#highlights/22885840)

Quinn Cook is smiling right now. Nasty.

DukieInKansas
02-09-2013, 09:49 PM
If you go to the 34 second mark in this clip, this guy pronounces it (to his face and is congratulating him, so I'm sure he asked how to pronounce it ahead of time) as Sheh-mi Oh-jeh-lay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLIX5keVX84

The newsguy at the beginning pronounces it differently every time he says it, though, so who knows, haha. Definitely not an easy one.

The man handing him the award is his coach, based on the end of the clip. I would take his pronunciation over Jack Harry's any day.

ricks68
02-09-2013, 10:30 PM
I sure hope he can play defense, because He is remarkable offensively. So smooooooothe. (And I have never before commented on a new player before.) wow!

ricks

dcar1985
02-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Semi has some nice bounce!

http://www.prepforce.com/media/player/play.php?id=3669

SupaDave
02-10-2013, 12:20 PM

That was Gerald like. Oh my...

striker219
02-10-2013, 12:31 PM

Is it considered a recruiting violation that Mason (apparently) let Semi borrow his hover shoes? Interesting, though, how much higher Semi is able to hover while wearing them. Maybe it's because he's lighter.

Yowza!

NSDukeFan
02-10-2013, 01:06 PM
That was Gerald like. Oh my...

If G had been 4 inches taller and had a stronger looking frame. Very much agree with your point...Oh my. Very exciting that this young man will be at Duke. He sounds like another great kid.

Greg_Newton
02-11-2013, 12:41 AM
Yeah, good lord. I know we like to talk about him as potentially our "best leaper since Maggette", but I don't think Maggette could ever do that:

http://i.imgur.com/8r9x4Fz.jpg

timmy c
02-11-2013, 12:53 AM

Difficult angle, but it looks like 6 concrete blocks to me!

juise
02-11-2013, 02:01 AM
Difficult angle, but it looks like 6 concrete blocks to me!

Haven't you heard? Semi's school plays in a league with smaller-than-standard concrete blocks! Try not to get too excited. ;)

Jim3k
02-11-2013, 03:09 AM
Yeah, good lord. I know we like to talk about him as potentially our "best leaper since Maggette", but I don't think Maggette could ever do that:

Whatever do you mean? Maggette has proven flying skills. (http://clippers.topbuzz.com/modules/gallery/corey-maggette/Corey_Maggette_angel_wallpaper) (Wings, even.)

:p

I'd have embedded the pic, but it was too large for DBR.

I looked for the backboard slap he took as a freshman (got a technical) but in limited searching didn't find it.

CPDUKEGUY24
02-11-2013, 08:32 AM
Whatever do you mean? Maggette has proven flying skills. (http://clippers.topbuzz.com/modules/gallery/corey-maggette/Corey_Maggette_angel_wallpaper) (Wings, even.)

:p

I'd have embedded the pic, but it was too large for DBR.

I looked for the backboard slap he took as a freshman (got a technical) but in limited searching didn't find it.

This might be what you're looking for...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLsuG9dCckE

nocilla
02-11-2013, 10:07 AM

Is that Harrison Barnes in the front row behind the ref?

Turtleboy
02-11-2013, 01:21 PM
If G had been 4 inches taller and had a stronger looking frame. FWIW, ESPN lists Gerald at 6'5" and Semi at 6'6".

Kedsy
02-11-2013, 01:30 PM
FWIW, ESPN lists Gerald at 6'5" and Semi at 6'6".

Yeah, but Gerald's official height listed by Duke was 6'4" and Semi's father was quoted recently as saying he's grown to 6'8".

Turtleboy
02-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Yeah, but Gerald's official height listed by Duke was 6'4" and Semi's father was quoted recently as saying he's grown to 6'8".The NBA also lists Gerald at 6'5", and players usually list smaller when measured there.

Kedsy
02-11-2013, 01:56 PM
The NBA also lists Gerald at 6'5", and players usually list smaller when measured there.

GoDuke says 6'4". I'm not sure it matters so much.

MChambers
02-11-2013, 02:25 PM
GoDuke says 6'4". I'm not sure it matters so much.

I'd feel more certain if we had a cinder block comparison.

Turtleboy
02-11-2013, 02:42 PM
GoDuke says 6'4". I'm not sure it matters so much.Like I said, players almost always measure taller in college. I suspect it is because the pros measure barefoot.That's why Hendo's height is interesting.

Now, if Semi really is 6'8" that's what, 5 starter caliber players that height or thereabouts?

Kedsy
02-11-2013, 02:51 PM
Like I said, players almost always measure taller in college. I suspect it is because the pros measure barefoot.That's why Hendo's height is interesting.

Now, if Semi really is 6'8" that's what, 5 starter caliber players that height or thereabouts?

Yes -- Semi, Rodney, Alex, Amile, and Jabari are all around 6'8", plus Josh is 6'7". So much for not having those midrange players. Of course, we'll probably only have one player taller than 6'8" on the roster, but I suppose you can't have everything.

devildeac
02-11-2013, 04:13 PM

It's a darn shame Mason doesn't have anti-gravity shoes that can do that;):rolleyes:.

AtlDuke72
02-11-2013, 05:17 PM
It's a darn shame Mason doesn't have anti-gravity shoes that can do that;):rolleyes:.

Flubber has been rediscovered.

nmduke2001
02-11-2013, 05:25 PM

Unless this was a tournament game, Semi is likely on the visiting team (dark jersey). That makes the crowds reaction so much better.

CDu
02-12-2013, 09:14 AM
He reminds me so much of Maggette, both athletically and height/build. Obviously it is hard to tell how well his skills will translate against good competition, but the athleticism and size obviously will.

acewatson
02-12-2013, 09:46 AM
I live in the KC metro area and work with a guy that lives in Ottawa. He keeps me updated on Semi. He should break the scoring record in Kansas within a few games and still has 8 or so to go. He is also close to finishing at the top of his class academically. I am pretty excited for what I believe to be an underrated player. I think he needs to work on his defense.

ChicagoCrazy84
02-12-2013, 01:56 PM
He reminds me so much of Maggette, both athletically and height/build. Obviously it is hard to tell how well his skills will translate against good competition, but the athleticism and size obviously will.

I was telling my Dad the same thing. It's been a while since I've seen a kid with the athleticism and build of Semi come to Duke, it is pretty exciting. I don't really know much about high school basketball in Kansas, but the way he is tearing it up there is impressive.

What do people think? Will he get PT his freshman year?

CDu
02-12-2013, 02:06 PM
I was telling my Dad the same thing. It's been a while since I've seen a kid with the athleticism and build of Semi come to Duke, it is pretty exciting. I don't really know much about high school basketball in Kansas, but the way he is tearing it up there is impressive.

What do people think? Will he get PT his freshman year?

It's hard to say. It's going to be tough for him to find playing time with Parker, Hood, and Sulaimon all in front of him at the 2, 3, and 4 spots - not to mention the possibility that Dawkins could return. If Dawkins doesn't return, then he'd be presumably competing with guys like Jones, Murphy and Jefferson/Hairston for the backup minutes at the 2, 3, and 4 spots (probably more likely the 3 and 4 spots). It's a crowded picture, for sure. But if his skills are advanced enough, it's conceivable he could find some time on the floor.

It's just really hard to say where his skill level is, because apparently the level of competition he's facing is quite bad. So who knows how much game will translate. Hopefully a lot.

MChambers
02-12-2013, 02:46 PM
It's hard to say. It's going to be tough for him to find playing time with Parker, Hood, and Sulaimon all in front of him at the 2, 3, and 4 spots - not to mention the possibility that Dawkins could return. If Dawkins doesn't return, then he'd be presumably competing with guys like Jones, Murphy and Jefferson/Hairston for the backup minutes at the 2, 3, and 4 spots (probably more likely the 3 and 4 spots). It's a crowded picture, for sure. But if his skills are advanced enough, it's conceivable he could find some time on the floor.

It's just really hard to say where his skill level is, because apparently the level of competition he's facing is quite bad. So who knows how much game will translate. Hopefully a lot.

Could he find time at the 5? Imagine a bigger version of Robert Brickey. If he's really 6'8" (and maybe still growing), Duke might be able to play him on the frontline with Hood, Parker, Murphy, Jefferson, etc.

i know, I'm dreaming, but a guy can hope, right?

TexHawk
02-12-2013, 03:00 PM
It does bear mentioning that a CBB power just down the road did not heavily recruit Semi.

I say this respectfully because I love Semi and his prospects. He did show up at a few KU games, but the interest was never high on one side or the other. Now, that could be because (a) Semi had little interest in KU, (b) KU already had Brannen Green (#25 rsci) in the bag, (c) Semi's brother plays at K-State, KU's biggest rival, or (d) Bill Self didn't think he was good.

It is certainly possible that (d) KU made a mistake, and it wouldn't be the first time. Kentucky is running out Willie Cauley-Stein, who may be lottery pick depending on where you look, and he also played high school ball very close to Lawrence.

CDu
02-12-2013, 04:27 PM
It does bear mentioning that a CBB power just down the road did not heavily recruit Semi.

I say this respectfully because I love Semi and his prospects. He did show up at a few KU games, but the interest was never high on one side or the other. Now, that could be because (a) Semi had little interest in KU, (b) KU already had Brannen Green (#25 rsci) in the bag, (c) Semi's brother plays at K-State, KU's biggest rival, or (d) Bill Self didn't think he was good.

It is certainly possible that (d) KU made a mistake, and it wouldn't be the first time. Kentucky is running out Willie Cauley-Stein, who may be lottery pick depending on where you look, and he also played high school ball very close to Lawrence.

That is certainly worth consideration. I'd be inclined to believe (a) and (b) are most likely cases, but (d) could be the case too (whether Self is right or not certainly remains to be seen).

That being said, there are always examples of big-time programs either overlooking or simply not recruiting certain in-state stars. The reasons generally range across the spectrum of the 4 possibilities you mentioned, but I'd gather that most of the time the reasons are (a) and (b). With a sprinkling in of (a_1): coach didn't feel the player was a good fit.

It could also be that, because Ojeleye was a bit of a late-bloomer (he has risen in the ranks substantially over the past year), KU wasn't interested when other teams were getting in good with Ojeleye. And by the time Ojeleye was starting to become a commodity, KU was already on the outside looking in (and thus passed on chasing him).

Still - definitely reason to raise eyebrows.

flyingdutchdevil
02-12-2013, 04:31 PM
That is certainly worth consideration. I'd be inclined to believe (a) and (b) are most likely cases, but (d) could be the case too (whether Self is right or not certainly remains to be seen).

That being said, there are always examples of big-time programs either overlooking or simply not recruiting certain in-state stars. The reasons generally range across the spectrum of the 4 possibilities you mentioned, but I'd gather that most of the time the reasons are (a) and (b). With a sprinkling in of (a_1): coach didn't feel the player was a good fit.

It could also be that, because Ojeleye was a bit of a late-bloomer (he has risen in the ranks substantially over the past year), KU wasn't interested when other teams were getting in good with Ojeleye. And by the time Ojeleye was starting to become a commodity, KU was already on the outside looking in (and thus passed on chasing him).

Still - definitely reason to raise eyebrows.

I agree with (a). Semi is a huge academic (I believe he has the highest GPA in his class and pres of NHS). Duke fits the bill.

Obviously, Coach K is the number 1 reason we get recruits. But I think that our strong academic culture really helps to lure in a few recruits from time to time (Battier, Rasheed, Langdon come to mind)

OldPhiKap
02-12-2013, 04:31 PM

I had a chance to meet and speak with Jim Calhoun right after Duke signed David McClure (a CT resident). I asked Coach Calhoun about it, and he commented that he usually avoided in-state recruits because of the added pressure of playing before your family and friends like that.

Of course, he also said that he was "surprised that Mike" offered him, so maybe a mix of two different factors at play.

TexHawk
02-12-2013, 04:51 PM
T

True, but Kansas is a different, much weaker animal. It is perfectly reasonable for a Chicago kid like Jabari Parker to go to Duke or Anthony Davis to Kentucky. Or for DC kids to go to Duke or UNC over Maryland. There are A LOT of really good players in those places, and several high-major schools close by. Kansas has mostly had to focus recruiting nationally, as there just are not many high-major players in state or in KCMO. Greg Gurley was a KC high school legend, beating up on a bunch of 5-8 preppie white dudes**, but barely got off the bench in the mid 90s at KU.

** Yes, he dunked on me.

The Wichita City League (Antoine Carr, Darnell Valentine, Connor Frankamp, Perry Ellis, Adrian Griffin) is usually ok compared to other similar sized cities, but the KCK area + burbs and western Kansas are just well below average (in all sports, really). When a high-major kid DOES come along, it's just naturally *assumed* that he will go to KU. He will dance with some other folks, like Ellis did with Duke and Memphis, but KU rarely lets the good ones get away. There are others that come on late (or have a growth spurt like Alec Burks) and head to places other than KU because they have built relationships or felt snubbed.

The Semi thing isn't really a big deal locally, other than a raised eyebrow here or there. Like I said on page 1, his family is well known to value a strong education, and it's hard to beat Duke on that.

Philadukie
02-12-2013, 09:09 PM
Could he find time at the 5? Imagine a bigger version of Robert Brickey. If he's really 6'8" (and maybe still growing), Duke might be able to play him on the frontline with Hood, Parker, Murphy, Jefferson, etc.

Y'know, maybe it's not totally crazy. I thought about this myself. The staff obviously recruited him as 3 or 4 year wing, not a big, but could he unexpectedly and pleasantly become one? If he's truly 6'8", as his dad and brother have confirmed, that means he's grown about 2" over the last year or so. Could he still be growing then? You hear about players sometimes having late growth spurts. What if (for the fun of it) he comes in to the program at 6'9"? He's like 235 lbs right? Those are frontcourt numbers. Physically at least, he would be equivalent to many other fives in the country. It's an intriguing thought. Maybe unlikely, but intriguing!

Newton_14
02-12-2013, 09:33 PM

Y'know, maybe it's not totally crazy. I thought about this myself. The staff obviously recruited him as 3 or 4 year wing, not a big, but could he unexpectedly and pleasantly become one? If he's truly 6'8", as his dad and brother have confirmed, that means he's grown about 2" over the last year or so. Could he still be growing then? You hear about players sometimes having late growth spurts. What if (for the fun of it) he comes in to the program at 6'9"? He's like 235 lbs right? Those are frontcourt numbers. Physically at least, he would be equivalent to many other fives in the country. It's an intriguing thought. Maybe unlikely, but intriguing!

I don't see it as a crazy idea either. A long shot? Probably, but he would be the first undersized kid to play in the post for K. In addition to Brickey, there was Tony Lang, John Smith, Lance, Kyle, etc. Although Boozer was more of a true big, he came in at a size not all that different than Semi. Not saying Boozer is a good comparison as he really isn't. Just similar size.

With Semi's size and incredible hops (that photo Greg Newton posted was just sick sick sick. Semi's head was less than a half cinder block from the rim!!) it is possible he could hold his own in there defensively. Semi is one of the more intriguing prospects to come along in quite some time. When he signed, I thought he would be one of the wings that would need a couple of years to develop, especially given his high school competition. That might still be the case, and is maybe likely, but he has risen in the ranks rapidly, and with that body, will certainly be ready physically.

One thing is for sure, with the incredible mix of talent and versatility on next years squad, K is going to be like a kid in a Candy Store next year. You can bet the farm he won't be "using the same dadum practice plans I have used for the past 17 years dadgummit" :) The mad scientist will be at work!

BD80
02-12-2013, 10:48 PM

Anthony Davis was a guard as a freshman in high school; was drafted #1 after one year in college as a 6'10" C/PF.

Cameron
02-12-2013, 11:16 PM

To add to the examples above: Michael Dunleavy arrived at Duke slightly bigger than Justin Bieber -- Mike was a scrawny 6-foot-4 shooting guard when he signed to play for the Blue Devils -- and left a 6-foot-9 forward with one of the most versatile skill sets of any "big man" in the country, garnering the 3rd selection in the 2002 NBA Draft. So, late growth spurts certainly aren't foreign to Duke.

Mike's situation was certainly a peculiar one, however, to be sure. I still think he was bitten by a radioactive spider. Possibly by one that Mike Sr. bought on ebay specifically for that purpose, but that's never been proven.

sagegrouse
02-12-2013, 11:19 PM
To add to the examples above: Michael Dunleavy arrived at Duke slightly bigger than Justin Bieber -- Mike was a scrawny 6-foot-4 shooting guard when he signed to play for the Blue Devils -- and left a 6-foot-9 forward with one of the most versatile skill sets of any "big man" in the country, garnering the 3rd selection in the 2002 NBA Draft. So, late growth spurts certainly aren't foreign to Duke.

Mike's situation was certainly a peculiar one, however, to be sure. I still think he was bitten by a radioactive spider. Possibly by one that Mike Sr. bought on eBay specifically for that purpose, but that's never been proven.

Kenny Smith, TNT announcer and ex-Tar Heel said it best: "Six-nine? How did he get to be 6-9? How did Mike Dunleavy senior have a son that grew to be six-nine? How tall is he? Five-eleven?"

sagegrouse

Cameron
02-12-2013, 11:33 PM
Kenny Smith, TNT announcer and ex-Tar Heel said it best: "Six-nine? How did he get to be 6-9? How did Mike Dunleavy senior have a son that grew to be six-nine? How tall is he? Five-eleven?"

sagegrouse

I actually remember Smith commenting on something similar to that at one time. Kenny Smith is a funny dude. It is amazing, though, how Dunleavy all-of-a-sudden grew five inches after his rookie season. I have often wondered how his career and Duke legacy might have turned out had he not. It's certainly an interesting notion. We might still only have three national titles. You never know.

Kedsy
02-12-2013, 11:52 PM
It is amazing, though, how Dunleavy all-of-a-sudden grew five inches after his rookie season.

While Mike Dunleavy was reportedly 6'4" when K was recruiting him, he was listed as 6'6" by his senior year of high school, and I believe as 6'8" by the time he actually started college. I'm pretty sure he only grew an inch or so during his time at Duke (as opposed to the five inches he grew after sometime in his junior year of high school).

CDu
02-13-2013, 12:00 AM
While Mike Dunleavy was reportedly 6'4" when K was recruiting him, he was listed as 6'6" by his senior year of high school, and I believe as 6'8" by the time he actually started college. I'm pretty sure he only grew an inch or so during his time at Duke (as opposed to the five inches he grew after sometime in his junior year of high school).

I was a student at the time Dunleavy arrived, and I can attest that he did indeed arrive on campus at around 6'7" or 6'8".

Cameron
02-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Facts get in the way of great stories, you know.

:)

My memory has been beaten to a pulp by my vices, I suppose. Thanks for clearing that up re Dunleavy's height. I embellished a bit on purpose, I admit. But, I definitely think he grew at least two full inches from his sophomore to junior years at Duke. Michael was slightly awkward looking in terms of body shape, especially as a junior, and I recall attributing that to his unusual off-season growth. Though I could certainly be misremembering again.

4Gen
02-13-2013, 11:52 AM

I'm a lip reader, and the other players seem to saying, what the bleep

Durham Thunder
02-20-2013, 09:41 PM
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1474626

Here's our guy Semi, making history!

FerryFor50
02-20-2013, 09:47 PM

Best part of that article was this quote:

"We have a solid recruiting class obviously with Jabari and Matt coming in," said Ojeleye. "I'll just try to find my role wherever Coach K thinks that is."

OldPhiKap
02-20-2013, 09:51 PM

Averaging an impressive 40.3 points per contest through 18 games entering the night

"Impressive" ?!? How about "Holy Mother of Naismith!!!!!!!!"

Durham Thunder
02-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Rodney Hood

Jabari Parker

Semi Ojeleye. YES!

Reilly
02-20-2013, 10:17 PM
So Duke will have the all-time leading scorer in Kansas history ... and wasn't DeMarcus the all-time leading scorer in California history?

For what it's worth, JJ Redick (#20) and Grant Hill (#42) are on the all-time Virginia list:

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/pub-vhsl-recordbook-jan132.pdf

OldPhiKap
02-20-2013, 10:20 PM
Rodney Hood

Jabari Parker

Semi Ojeleye. YES!

Damn, tried to give you Sporkz twice in ten minutes.

Rodney Hood is THE Big Thing next year. Phenomenal Frosh add a sick upside.

westwall
02-21-2013, 09:53 AM
Perhaps this is noted elsewhere, but Scout has just revised its rankings for the 2013 class and Semi and Matt Jones now have joined Jabari Parker in the Top 25 with 5 stars. Semi is # 25, Matt is # 24 and Jabari is # 2.

Scout also credits Duke with the # 2 class, after Kentucky.

airowe
02-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Rodney Hood

Jabari Parker

Semi Ojeleye. YES!

Don't forget about Matt Jones.

subzero02
02-21-2013, 10:14 AM
Perhaps this is noted elsewhere, but Scout has just revised its rankings for the 2013 class and Semi and Matt Jones now have joined Jabari Parker in the Top 25 with 5 stars. Semi is # 25, Matt is # 24 and Jabari is # 2.

Scout also credits Duke with the # 2 class, after Kentucky.

Toss in super sophomore Rodney Hood, and we might wind up having the best incoming talent when it is all said and done.

Durham Thunder
02-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Don't forget about Matt Jones.

Matt Jones is sure to be a bull as well- I haven't put him out.

I was just noting particularly, our absolutely stout lineup of slashing small forwards, who are poised to dominate the nation.

Durham Thunder
02-21-2013, 10:28 AM
In 2010, I went to Countdown to Craziness because I knew we were poised to top the nation, and we had this new hotshot named Kyrie playing point. With how our guys now are playing, and how our young bucks are handling themselves on the national stage in high school, I can't WAIT for Craziness in October!

Kedsy
02-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Toss in super sophomore Rodney Hood, and we might wind up having the best incoming talent when it is all said and done.

Nah. We may end up with the most talent overall, but Kentucky is going to have the best incoming talent, and whoever's next will be a distant second.

COYS
02-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Nah. We may end up with the most talent overall, but Kentucky is going to have the best incoming talent, and whoever's next will be a distant second.

Yeah, completely agree. I think people sometimes forget that UK isn't done, yet. If Wiggins lands at UK, they'll also be adding the only incoming frosh who can give Jabari a run for his money as the best incoming player (although by all accounts Jabari is more skilled and ready right now, even Wiggins projects higher with his other-worldly athleticism).

ChicagoCrazy84
02-21-2013, 12:37 PM

If Wiggins commits, I agree with this but right now I think we are closely second. Rodney Hood and Jabari Parker may be two of the most versatile players in the country and you could maybe add Andre Dawkins to the list? Maybe I am biased, but I still think we can rival them :)

Gthoma2a
03-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Semi is now the first Kansas Gatorade POY award winner from Ottawa High School.

Here is a link with video from his final HS game.

"This 6-foot-6, 220 pounder averaged 38 points and 8 rebounds per game in the 2012-2013 season."
Those numbers are amazing.

http://www.kansascw.com/kscw/news/cik-semi-ojeleye-named-gatorade-boys-basketball-player-of-the-year-20130321,0,6361817.story

lotusland
03-21-2013, 07:17 PM
I don't see it as a crazy idea either. A long shot? Probably, but he would be the first undersized kid to play in the post for K. In addition to Brickey, there was Tony Lang, John Smith, Lance, Kyle, etc. Although Boozer was more of a true big, he came in at a size not all that different than Semi. Not saying Boozer is a good comparison as he really isn't. Just similar size.

With Semi's size and incredible hops (that photo Greg Newton posted was just sick sick sick. Semi's head was less than a half cinder block from the rim!!) it is possible he could hold his own in there defensively. Semi is one of the more intriguing prospects to come along in quite some time. When he signed, I thought he would be one of the wings that would need a couple of years to develop, especially given his high school competition. That might still be the case, and is maybe likely, but he has risen in the ranks rapidly, and with that body, will certainly be ready physically.

One thing is for sure, with the incredible mix of talent and versatility on next years squad, K is going to be like a kid in a Candy Store next year. You can bet the farm he won't be "using the same dadum practice plans I have used for the past 17 years dadgummit" :) The mad scientist will be at work!

I still Hope Marshall is ready to give us 25-minutes agame at center next year. If so Hairston gets the other 15. The other way around is probably more likely with Josh playing 25 MPG and the remaining 15 MPG split between MP3 and various wing players. My biggest concern for next year is rebounding. I don't think we will need much scoring ast all from the 5 spot so if MP3 can focus on clearing the boards I think all he needs to do on offense is set good hard screens for the shooters and catch and flush when he's left alone. Unfortunatley Duke's D demands a lot of movement and quick switches. Personally I'd like to see our center primarily just hang out in the lane on D but that's not Duke D and probably is not going to happen. If Semi can get us 8 rebounds a game the job is probably his for the taking.

Lord Ash
03-21-2013, 07:31 PM
Very, very talented group for sure. But while Rodney and Jabari are as talented as anyone, I am not sure I would put Dre in that same category as a Wiggins or a Randle.

BD80
03-21-2013, 07:34 PM
I still Hope Marshall is ready to give us 25-minutes agame at center next year. If so Hairston gets the other 15. The other way around is probably more likely with Josh playing 25 MPG and the remaining 15 MPG split between MP3 and various wing players. My biggest concern for next year is rebounding. I don't think we will need much scoring ast all from the 5 spot so if MP3 can focus on clearing the boards I think all he needs to do on offense is set good hard screens for the shooters and catch and flush when he's left alone. Unfortunatley Duke's D demands a lot of movement and quick switches. Personally I'd like to see our center primarily just hang out in the lane on D but that's not Duke D and probably is not going to happen. If Semi can get us 8 rebounds a game the job is probably his for the taking.

... here we go ....

time to ignore thread

NYBri
03-21-2013, 08:21 PM
Next year is going to be all sorts of fun. The group coming in is going to be unlike any other that K has had over the past couple of decades.

I'm still enthusiastic about this years team, however I am excited about next year as well.

dukelifer
03-21-2013, 09:16 PM
Semi is now the first Kansas Gatorade POY award winner from Ottawa High School.

Here is a link with video from his final HS game.

"This 6-foot-6, 220 pounder averaged 38 points and 8 rebounds per game in the 2012-2013 season."
Those numbers are amazing.

http://www.kansascw.com/kscw/news/cik-semi-ojeleye-named-gatorade-boys-basketball-player-of-the-year-20130321,0,6361817.story

and a 4.0 in the classroom!

mdj
03-21-2013, 09:53 PM

This is such a great picture. If I has to guess the team in white probably lost this contest.

Greg_Newton
03-29-2013, 02:07 AM
Ojeleye dunking on small children for seven and a half minutes: http://www.prepforce.com/video/4049

At what point can he screen/defend/rebound/finish better than Hairston at the 5 next year?

dukeofcalabash
03-29-2013, 03:08 AM
and a 4.0 in the classroom!

And THAT is what college sports should be about! If only every player would give their all in the classroom. Just think how much respect they would be given.

brevity
03-29-2013, 03:32 AM
This is such a great picture. If I has to guess the team in white probably lost this contest.

If it was a staring contest, they would have won.

roywhite
03-29-2013, 08:01 AM
More highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM-HcTeR2yQ

As others have noted, hard to project since Semi racked up his amazing numbers against fairly weak competition. Still, this guy appears to be a terrific athlete and can shoot well with 3-point range, not to mention being very intelligent and coachable. Just to nitpick, but his handle doesn't look great at this point. A very intriguing prospect.

jimrowe0
03-29-2013, 08:14 AM
Semi is going to be a very good player at Duke. His handle could use a little work, but the kid is going to be star.

NashvilleDevil
03-29-2013, 08:17 AM
More highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM-HcTeR2yQ

As others have noted, hard to project since Semi racked up his amazing numbers against fairly weak competition. Still, this guy appears to be a terrific athlete and can shoot well with 3-point range, not to mention being very intelligent and coachable. Just to nitpick, but his handle doesn't look great at this point. A very intriguing prospect.

I didn't really follow HWSNBN when he was tearing it up in Iowa but why was he considered such a great prospect playing in Iowa? I'm sure the level of competition wasn't great in that state.

flyingdutchdevil
03-29-2013, 08:30 AM
I didn't really follow HWSNBN when he was tearing it up in Iowa but why was he considered such a great prospect playing in Iowa? I'm sure the level of competition wasn't great in that state.

If I am not mistaken, it's not the state, but rather the school division. HWSNBN played in the most competitive division with the top players from Iowa. I think Semi is in the 2nd or even 3rd division.

MaxAMillion
03-29-2013, 08:32 AM
And THAT is what college sports should be about! If only every player would give their all in the classroom. Just think how much respect they would be given.

I knew plenty of college students i when I sent to school in the general population that did not give their all. I knew kids who partied and skipped classes regularly. College athletes are just like the rest of the student population. Some are disciplined and dedicated while others look for a good time. I don't think athletes should be looked at any differently.

Ichabod Drain
03-29-2013, 08:48 AM
If I am not mistaken, it's not the state, but rather the school division. HWSNBN played in the most competitive division with the top players from Iowa. I think Semi is in the 2nd or even 3rd division.

Here's some highlights of Semi against AAU competition. He still looks pretty darn good against better competition. I think his handle isn't that bad, i think it just doesn't look that great because he's not silky smooth with the ball or anything. Looking forward to seeing him in a Duke jersey.

http://youtu.be/7K9lqLz8oWs

killerleft
03-29-2013, 10:22 AM
I agree with (a). Semi is a huge academic (I believe he has the highest GPA in his class and pres of NHS). Duke fits the bill.

Obviously, Coach K is the number 1 reason we get recruits. But I think that our strong academic culture really helps to lure in a few recruits from time to time (Battier, Rasheed, Langdon come to mind)

Off-topic but maybe not: I was reminded, a few months ago, of a big plus when it comes to drawing students/recruits. My mother-in-law, who resisted the idea at first, was absolutely floored when my wife and I showed her the Duke campus. If her newly-rebuilt knee hadn't started hurting too much, we might be sitting in a pew at Duke Chapel still:). It didn't hurt when a highly-skilled organ player started showing his/her chops soon after we entered the building.

brevity
03-29-2013, 10:26 AM
It didn't hurt when a highly-skilled organ player started showing his/her chops soon after we entered the building.

Good that you all experienced that in a safe Duke context. Because in most situations that sounds like flashing.

Kedsy
03-29-2013, 10:52 AM
Here's some highlights of Semi against AAU competition. He still looks pretty darn good against better competition. I think his handle isn't that bad, i think it just doesn't look that great because he's not silky smooth with the ball or anything. Looking forward to seeing him in a Duke jersey.

His shooting form is pretty decent, which is not related to the competition. On the other hand, I noticed he shoots layups with his right hand from the left side, which seems a bit awkward and surprising for a top high school player. He's certainly an intriguing long-term prospect. I wonder how much time he'll see as a freshman.

crimsonandblue
03-29-2013, 10:58 AM

Semi played 4A. Due to a big breadth of school sizes in Kansas, there are more divisions than most states have; going all the way up to 6A. So, yes, Semi played in what would be considered a third division, although obviously team quality won't always necessarily be directly proportional to school size.

And as others have noted, these kids play AAU ball regularly, so it's not like Duke won't have been able to see him up against guys of his caliber. Even if he hadn't played AAU ball, coaches know what to look for. Look at Otto Porter at Georgetown. Small school Missouri player. Didn't play much if any AAU ball. Hasn't exactly hurt him from a development standpoint. And schools like Georgetown, Missouri and Kansas offered him.

CDu
03-29-2013, 10:58 AM

I don't know that I'd say much about his ballhandling ability from that video. While it is against AAU competition, (a) we don't know if it is against good AAU competition and (b) it doesn't look like that AAU competition is applying very much defense on his dribble penetration (which sort of brings me back to point a).

Not saying he has bad ballhandling skills. Just saying I don't see anything to suggest he can put the ball on the deck against good defense.

His shooting form is pretty decent, which is not related to the competition. On the other hand, I noticed he shoots layups with his right hand from the left side, which seems a bit awkward and surprising for a top high school player. He's certainly an intriguing long-term prospect. I wonder how much time he'll see as a freshman.

I'd say his shooting form is fine, but I would note that he pretty much shoots a set shot. That is fine whenever he's wide open. But at 6'6" and against major college basketball defenses, I don't know that he'll be able to shoot too many set shots. I don't know what his 3pt jumpshot looks like, but that's something to keep in mind.

What is most certainly not in doubt is that he's very athletic and very strong. He has college basketball strength and athleticism already, so he has that going for him. It's just a question of whether his basketball skills will translate.

CarmenWallaceWade
03-29-2013, 11:41 AM
Looks like he has Gerald Henderson-like hops. Will be interesting to see how well he defends. Developing that skill is going to be his quickest path to seeing court time, in my opinion.

lotusland
03-29-2013, 12:06 PM

If it didn't know better I'd have sworn that was Full Ojeyleye:D

wk2109
03-29-2013, 12:19 PM
On the other hand, I noticed he shoots layups with his right hand from the left side, which seems a bit awkward and surprising for a top high school player.

I noticed that too. It's kind of like how Austin rarely finished with his left hand.

licc85
03-29-2013, 01:01 PM
Well, I'm sold on this guy. Even if he isn't the same offensive juggernaut in college that he was in HS, dude with a body like that is going to be able to defend, once he learns how. Quick release on that jumper too. Gonna be interesting to see how the minutes get split up amongst our absurd depth on the wings, though I think Semi could fill in at the 4 for stretches without too many issues. Later on in his career, I could totally see him being kind of like a Jeff Green type undersized 4 who can shoot. (I was going to say Lebron, but who am I kidding?)

CDu
03-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Well, I'm sold on this guy. Even if he isn't the same offensive juggernaut in college that he was in HS, dude with a body like that is going to be able to defend, once he learns how. Quick release on that jumper too. Gonna be interesting to see how the minutes get split up amongst our absurd depth on the wings, though I think Semi could fill in at the 4 for stretches without too many issues. Later on in his career, I could totally see him being kind of like a Jeff Green type undersized 4 who can shoot. (I was going to say Lebron, but who am I kidding?)

The biggest hurdle for Ojeleye next year (aside from the possibility that the jump in competition overwhelms him a bit) is that the positions he's most suited to play at the college level (SF and maybe PF) are the positions at which we have tons of depth, talent, and/or experience (Hood, Parker, Jefferson, Murphy, Hairston). It's hard to see him beating out Hood or Parker, and it's hard to see him beating out a sophomore Jefferson off the bench.

Now, maybe Jefferson will end up playing more C than PF (it would be surprising, but I guess it would be possible). If that were the case, then maybe Ojeleye could see more time next year.

Kedsy
03-29-2013, 01:52 PM
Now, maybe Jefferson will end up playing more C than PF (it would be surprising, but I guess it would be possible). If that were the case, then maybe Ojeleye could see more time next year.

Unless Marshall makes quantum improvement over the summer (which is possible), I think Jefferson playing more C than PF is probable. Whether Semi could step in and provide backup minutes at PF would still be up in the air, though. I think this is a question for which prediction is close to impossible. We're going to have to wait and see how things shake out.

Billy Dat
03-29-2013, 01:59 PM
Unless Marshall makes quantum improvement over the summer (which is possible), I think Jefferson playing more C than PF is probable. Whether Semi could step in and provide backup minutes at PF would still be up in the air, though. I think this is a question for which prediction is close to impossible. We're going to have to wait and see how things shake out.

Cook aside, it would kind of be like the 2008-09 later season "Five Forwards" line-up with Scheyer, Singler, Henderson, Thomas and Williams.

Kedsy
03-29-2013, 02:13 PM
Cook aside, it would kind of be like the 2008-09 later season "Five Forwards" line-up with Scheyer, Singler, Henderson, Thomas and Williams.

Yeah, except Sulaimon, Hood, Parker, Jefferson (6'4, 6'8, 6'9, 6'8) would be taller than Scheyer, Henderson, Singler, Thomas (6'5, 6'4, 6'8, 6'8), and probably more athletic and a bit more offensively skilled. And as you point out, most of the time we'd have a PG instead of a fifth wing.

If Ojeleye is really 6'8, like the reports say, he could probably slip right in as a backup PF, assuming he's earned the minutes (which is no lock, given the depth of next season's roster).

Ichabod Drain
03-29-2013, 02:17 PM
If Ojeleye is really 6'8, like the reports say, he could probably slip right in as a backup PF, assuming he's earned the minutes (which is no lock, given the depth of next season's roster).

Somebody get some cinder blocks behind that kid asap!

Listen to Quants
03-29-2013, 06:10 PM
Yeah, except Sulaimon, Hood, Parker, Jefferson (6'4, 6'8, 6'9, 6'8) would be taller than Scheyer, Henderson, Singler, Thomas (6'5, 6'4, 6'8, 6'8), and probably more athletic and a bit more offensively skilled. And as you point out, most of the time we'd have a PG instead of a fifth wing.

Absolutely. I too am hoping he is, or will be, a legitimate 6'8". I'm also hoping Jefferson adds a lot of muscle and is a legitimate 220 lb by next year (with no loss in quickness/mobility/flexibility!). Not sure of the chances of the hopes being realized though. The 4 forwards lineup, with one Cook to stir the pot, would be fun.

Newton_14
03-29-2013, 07:27 PM

Totally agree. W/o much improvement in MP3 over the summer, I think Amile starts at the 5 out of the gate.

roywhite
05-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Semi Ojeleye is Parade's 2012-13 Boys Basketball Player of the Year (http://www.parade.com/15098/brianmclaughlin/semi-ojeleye-is-parades-2012-13-boys-basketball-player-of-the-year/#.UZeKG28hjv8.twitter)

He scores in bunches, breaks state records, wins championships, has signed with a powerhouse program, and even had enough time left to earn the title of valedictorian at his high school. Edging out several other talented and worthy finalists, Semi Ojeleye is the 2012-13 Parade Boys Basketball Player of the Year. In our 57th year of giving the award, he might be the most impressive winner yet.

We could come up with disclaimers here -- he didn't make the McDonald's A-A team; he's only ranked 26th or so by the recruiting gurus, played against lesser competition, etc.

Still, he had a tremendous year, and seems to be an exceptional young man on and off the court.

Congrats, Semi, and can't wait to see you playing for the Blue Devils.

BismarckDuke
05-19-2013, 09:18 AM
Semi Ojeleye is Parade's 2012-13 Boys Basketball Player of the Year (http://www.parade.com/15098/brianmclaughlin/semi-ojeleye-is-parades-2012-13-boys-basketball-player-of-the-year/#.UZeKG28hjv8.twitter)

We could come up with disclaimers here -- he didn't make the McDonald's A-A team; he's only ranked 26th or so by the recruiting gurus, played against lesser competition, etc.

Still, he had a tremendous year, and seems to be an exceptional young man on and off the court.

I'm thinking he is a better version of Josh Harriston. Defense is the big question, can he and does he want to play it. If he isn't the best or good he has to want to work at it to get playing time. I believe he is built for the PF position in college.

roywhite
05-19-2013, 09:46 AM
I'm thinking he is a better version of Josh Harriston. Defense is the big question, can he and does he want to play it. If he isn't the best or good he has to want to work at it to get playing time. I believe he is built for the PF position in college.

You mean Josh Hairston? Don't see the comparison. Semi has been a prolific scorer; he's got good shooting range and is an explosive leaper and finisher near the basket. Josh makes his contributions, but he doesn't have attributes like that.

BD80
05-19-2013, 09:48 AM
You mean Josh Hairston? Don't see the comparison. Semi has been a prolific scorer; he's got good shooting range and is an explosive leaper and finisher near the basket. Josh makes his contributions, but he doesn't have attributes like that.

They do seem to play at different levels. Josh below the rim and Semi above.

subzero02
05-19-2013, 10:15 AM
They do seem to play at different levels. Josh below the rim and Semi above.

From the highlights that I have seen, Semi is definitely in a different league in terms of athleticism

OldPhiKap
05-19-2013, 11:06 AM
From the highlights that I have seen, Semi is definitely in a different league in terms of athleticism

I doubt he has Josh's strength or practice taking charges. We will need Josh inside this year, and I would expect to see him have a bigger role this year.

Is the surgery on the thumb of his shooting hand? I would hope Josh can work on his 15 footers. That would really open up the inside.

But yeah, Semi is an exciting player and I am sure he will be fun to watch develop over his career. Sound like Battier, with better hops but less Chi.

dukelifer
05-19-2013, 01:07 PM

I expect Semi will be an excellent player at Duke. He is physically strong, has explosiveness and a nose to score. There are a lot of outstanding players who did not make the McD AA team. He will likely be one of them.

wilko
05-19-2013, 03:41 PM
I am ever hopeful he has a growth spurt over the summer and comes in around 6'9".

Newton_14
05-19-2013, 08:07 PM
I am ever hopeful he has a growth spurt over the summer and comes in around 6'9".

That would be nice. Given the situation, if Semi can play in the post he will have a great chance to get minutes and help the team. Probably a longshot but given his incredible body it is at least a slim possibility. Can't wait to see him and the other rooks in the Summer League at Central. Always fun watching the guys out there.

WakeDevil
05-19-2013, 08:42 PM
Well, I guess the guy going to Kansas and the other guy going to Duke weren't as good as I thought. That, or the magazine's staff overdosed on pot.

53n206
05-19-2013, 08:48 PM
Not really "slim" is he?

MCFinARL
05-19-2013, 08:57 PM
Well, I guess the guy going to Kansas and the other guy going to Duke weren't as good as I thought. That, or the magazine's staff overdosed on pot.

Well, Parade isn't really a sports publication. I suspect they were heavily influenced by the gaudy stats and the class valedictorian status.

miramar
05-19-2013, 10:16 PM
Shabazz, Austin, Jared Sullivan, Derrick Favors, and Brandon Jennings are the previous five winners and all are/will be in the NBA. Sounds good to me.

Kedsy
05-19-2013, 10:27 PM
Shabazz, Austin, Jared Sullivan, Derrick Favors, and Brandon Jennings are the previous five winners and all are/will be in the NBA. Sounds good to me.

Jared Sullinger?

I agree that's pretty good company. It will be very interesting to see how Semi works out at Duke and how quickly he does it.

subzero02
05-20-2013, 10:21 AM
The recent list of winners makes it seem like Ojeleye doesn't belong amongst them... How great would it be if he proves that he belongs from day one? I realize this is unlikely but with the talent we are bringing in next year, anything we get from Ojeleye in 13-14 is a bonus.

roywhite
05-20-2013, 12:58 PM
The recent list of winners makes it seem like Ojeleye doesn't belong amongst them... How great would it be if he proves that he belongs from day one? I realize this is unlikely but with the talent we are bringing in next year, anything we get from Ojeleye in 13-14 is a bonus.

Well, who knows for sure at this point?

Yes, it's a big adjustment to college ball for even the most talented freshmen. But it seems that Semi is physically powerful, smart, and determined. My guess is that he will be a major contributor this year.

lotusland
05-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Well, who knows for sure at this point?

Yes, it's a big adjustment to college ball for even the most talented freshmen. But it seems that Semi is physically powerful, smart, and determined. My guess is that he will be a major contributor this year.

We're stacked at 3 and 4 next year. Unless he projects as a 5 on next year's roster or works himself ahead of Josh, Alex or Amile at 4 (assuming Parker is the starter) I'd be in favor of a red-shirt year for Semi. Then again, if Black doesn't choose Duke and MP3's health is atill questionable, we may just need some big bodies with fouls to give at the 5-spot next year.

roywhite
05-20-2013, 03:22 PM
We're stacked at 3 and 4 next year. Unless he projects as a 5 on next year's roster or works himself ahead of Josh, Alex or Amile at 4 (assuming Parker is the starter) I'd be in favor of a red-shirt year for Semi. Then again, if Black doesn't choose Duke and MP3's health is atill questionable, we may just need some big bodies with fouls to give at the 5-spot next year.

Again, we don't know for sure at this point, but I'd be surprised to see Semi take a red-shirt year.

1. That's sometimes done for reasons of physical maturity and an adjustment to college life -- we believe Semi is already powerfully built, and is a diligent, talented student; he seems likely to handle the transition to college

2. It can depend on depth at a given position -- yes, there are other options at the 3 and 4 positions, but then look at the 2014 recruiting list. Duke is recruiting Justise Wislow, who is almost the same size as Semi and Kevon Looney, who at 6'8" or 6'9", figures to be more of a PF, though reportedly has some perimeter skills. Would we red-shirt Semi and then have one or two additional competitors his first year?

3. For what it's worth, I don't hear much second-hand information that coaches are seriously considering a red-shirt for Semi. (others may know differently?)

Kedsy
05-20-2013, 04:55 PM
3. For what it's worth, I don't hear much second-hand information that coaches are seriously considering a red-shirt for Semi. (others may know differently?)

Yeah, I don't have any inside info, but I'd be surprised if Semi redshirts.

But just because he'll be available to play doesn't mean he'll see the court much his freshman year. We're unlikely to regularly play more than five perimeter guys, and Semi has Quinn, Tyler, Rasheed, Rodney, and Andre ahead of him (assuming Jabari plays PF).

If he's big enough to play on the interior, it's possible he could see some time there. Less likely if Tarik Black comes to Duke, because then he'd be fighting with Amile, Josh, and Marshall for one rotation spot.

CDu
05-20-2013, 06:15 PM
Yeah, I don't have any inside info, but I'd be surprised if Semi redshirts.

But just because he'll be available to play doesn't mean he'll see the court much his freshman year. We're unlikely to regularly play more than five perimeter guys, and Semi has Quinn, Tyler, Rasheed, Rodney, and Andre ahead of him (assuming Jabari plays PF).

If he's big enough to play on the interior, it's possible he could see some time there. Less likely if Tarik Black comes to Duke, because then he'd be fighting with Amile, Josh, and Marshall for one rotation spot.

With the news that Tarik Black is going to Kansas, I'm just gonna hope that Ojeleye has a growth spurt and comes to Duke at 6'9", 235. Then, he could play C for us next year.

Otherwise, I will will be VERY surprised if he plays significant minutes next year. He just has too many bodies to beat out for time. I suspect that there are going to be 3 (or more) guys for whom folks on this board complain about a lack of minutes.

barely
05-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Excuse me if someone already has made this comparison, but isn't Semi a slightly taller version of Nate? IIRC, Nate won the three point shooting contest at the McDonald's event; Semi is by all reports a very good outside shooter. Nate had and Semi has the physical maturity to play right away. Athletically, Semi seems more advanced that Nate was - some of the video clips show an unreal athlete. As I recall, Nate was set to start as a freshman and had high praise from K until he got injured. I can't remember the nature of the injury, but it was something that bugged him the whole season (maybe longer).

A lot of posters have done very nice, thorough jobs of analyzying the roster, but I think the great unknown - as it is always with K - is who will establish themselves on defense in practice. If Semi is a high-level defender and he can hold his own on the boards, I think he'll be an important contributor his first year. I agree with the many posters that a roster analysis does not seem to indicate a place for him on the floor, but K will find a place for him if he can play D and rebound. He clearly can score enough to help spread the floor (another requirement in the K system for most players).

I would love to have access to see the battles in practice next year. With the roster that K will have, the players should get better ever practice.

CDu
05-20-2013, 06:39 PM
Excuse me if someone already has made this comparison, but isn't Semi a slightly taller version of Nate? IIRC, Nate won the three point shooting contest at the McDonald's event; Semi is by all reports a very good outside shooter. Nate had and Semi has the physical maturity to play right away. Athletically, Semi seems more advanced that Nate was - some of the video clips show an unreal athlete. As I recall, Nate was set to start as a freshman and had high praise from K until he got injured. I can't remember the nature of the injury, but it was something that bugged him the whole season (maybe longer).

A lot of posters have done very nice, thorough jobs of analyzying the roster, but I think the great unknown - as it is always with K - is who will establish themselves on defense in practice. If Semi is a high-level defender and he can hold his own on the boards, I think he'll be an important contributor his first year. I agree with the many posters that a roster analysis does not seem to indicate a place for him on the floor, but K will find a place for him if he can play D and rebound. He clearly can score enough to help spread the floor (another requirement in the K system for most players).

I would love to have access to see the battles in practice next year. With the roster that K will have, the players should get better ever practice.

While there are some physical similarities between Ojeleye and James, there are some very big differences. James was a higher-rated recruit, and he joined a Duke team that was MUCH less talented. The opportunity was there (if not for the injury) for James. It will not likely be there for Ojeleye.

Coach K doesn't play deep in his rotation, even if he has capable options. He will play his best 7-8 guys as much as possible. It is unlikely that Ojeleye will be among those top 7-8 next year.

mr. synellinden
05-20-2013, 07:59 PM
It is unlikely that Ojeleye will be among those top 7-8 next year.

I'd be in favor of a red-shirt year for Semi.

I don't quite understand these comments. How do we know this? His ranking would suggest he's not a freshman year starter, but maybe he is much better than his ranking suggests. Maybe the recruiting experts are wrong about him. Maybe he's a superstar in waiting.

Want to know where the RSCI rankings had Trey Burke coming out of high school? UNRANKED

Otto Porter? 34

Ben McLemore? 41

Derrick Williams - remember him? 100

Semi is 32. I am predicting he will be as good as or similar to Maggette as a freshman (#16 RSCI by the way). And they certainly have similar athleticism.

CDu
05-20-2013, 08:03 PM
I don't quite understand these comments. How do we know this? His ranking would suggest he's not a freshman year starter, but maybe he is much better than his ranking suggests. Maybe the recruiting experts are wrong about him. Maybe he's a superstar in waiting.

Want to know where the RSCI rankings had Trey Burke coming out of high school? UNRANKED

Otto Porter? 34

Ben McLemore? 41

Semi is 32. I am predicting he will be as good as or similar to Maggette as a freshman (#16 RSCI by the way). And they certainly have similar athleticism.

While rankings aren't perfectly correlated with college success, they are most definitely correlated with freshman year playing time at Duke. With only a few exceptions (necessitated by a complete lack of alternatives), Coach K simply hasn't played freshman players outside of the top-25 in the rankings.

I'm not saying that Ojeleye isn't capable of producing at the college level next year. I'm just saying that, based on Duke's history AND based on our depth at his positions, the odds are very much against Ojeleye contributing on the court next year.

lotusland
05-20-2013, 08:19 PM

My comment about red-shirting had two very important qualifiers: 1. He doesn't surpass Marshall, Amile, Alex or Josh in the rotation and 2. He's not suitable option for minutes at center. If both conditions occur then he's not going to play a lot. Since you don't have to declare a red-shirt year I wouldn't play him during garbage minutes early in the year and if neither injuries nor his performance in practice move him up in the rotation then just let him sit. He may not benefit from a red shirt year but he's not going to benefit from garbage minutes either. If 2014 freshman are ahead of him then he is probably a 3-4 yr guy and the freshmen are likely 1-2 year guys. I just don't see any point in burning a year of eligibilty for a few minutes during garbage time is all I'm saying.

-jk
05-20-2013, 08:20 PM
I disagree on K playing depth. He'll play down the bench until there's too much of a talent gap vs the other guys - though I'll grant that's often a 7-8 man rotation. K does occasionally play 6, and sometimes 9 deep. It's all about the players' abilities and the needs though, and not some iron-clad rule.

-jk

CDu
05-20-2013, 08:26 PM
I disagree on K playing depth. He'll play down the bench until there's too much of a talent gap vs the other guys - though I'll grant that's often a 7-8 man rotation. K does occasionally play 6, and sometimes 9 deep. It's all about the players' abilities and the needs though, and not some iron-clad rule.

-jk

It is true that Coach K plays to the talent gap to some degree. But realistically, it is very rare that the talent gap isn't evident before player #8. We have rarely played 9 deep, and never really that deep in close/big games. Even when we've had the depth to do it, Coach K has trimmed the rotation. In 1997-98, when we had arguably our deepest team ever, Coach K was basically playing 7 guys come ACC tournament time.

subzero02
05-20-2013, 10:14 PM

Otto Porter? 34

Ben McLemore? 41

If he is anywhere near as good as Maggette, we will be in for one heck of a ride this year... I think you are forgetting how athletic and productive Maggette was as a freshman. In his one season playing with one of the greatest teams of all time he averaged 10.6 ppg, 3.6 rpg in only 17.7 minutes per game. Maggette was also garnering serious consideration as a top 10 pick as the ncaa tournament ensued. I believe the chicago tribune indicated that he could go number 1 overall(Brand had other ideas). I really hope you are right about Semi, only time will tell.

Olympic Fan
05-21-2013, 02:14 PM
I think the comparisons between Semi and Maggette are a bit of a stretch.

On the other hand, there is a poster on this thread who tried to compare Semi to Josh Hairston.

Of the two, I think Semi is MUCH closer to Maggette than to Hairston. Physically, the Semi-Maggette connection is very close -- both are strong, quick and explosive leapers (things that Josh, bless his heart, lacks). I do not think from what I've seen that Semi is as polished a player as Maggette was as a freshman.

But Semi is perhaps the most athletic player Duke has had since Maggette (Henderson was as quick and could jump, but had nowhere near the strength; Kyrie was quicker, but not as big, as strong or as good a leaper). I'd be surprised if K doesn't find a use for him -- for instance, on the AAU circuit, he's often guarded post players -- successfully.

You think that might be a skill that would be useful to the 2013-14 Blue Devils?

MCFinARL
05-21-2013, 02:26 PM

On the other hand, there is a poster on this thread who tried to compare Semi to Josh Hairston.

Of the two, I think Semi is MUCH closer to Maggette than to Hairston. Physically, the Semi-Maggette connection is very close -- both are strong, quick and explosive leapers (things that Josh, bless his heart, lacks). I do not think from what I've seen that Semi is as polished a player as Maggette was as a freshman.

But Semi is perhaps the most athletic player Duke has had since Maggette (Henderson was as quick and could jump, but had nowhere near the strength; Kyrie was quicker, but not as big, as strong or as good a leaper). I'd be surprised if K doesn't find a use for him -- for instance, on the AAU circuit, he's often guarded post players -- successfully.

You think that might be a skill that would be useful to the 2013-14 Blue Devils?

It just might be. And he is obviously smart, which may help him pick up the defensive schemes quickly (although, of course, being school smart and being court smart aren't the same thing; Duke has had some school smart players who took a while to figure out how to play defense on the court). On the other hand, it's one thing to guard high school post players and another to guard college post players, who are likely to be older, stronger, and better.

I feel pretty strongly that Semi Ojeleye will be a big contributor to Duke basketball; I'm less sure that it will be next year, but I would be very happy if you are right.

Kedsy
05-21-2013, 02:28 PM
I'd be surprised if K doesn't find a use for him -- for instance, on the AAU circuit, he's often guarded post players -- successfully.

As I and others have said earlier in this thread, if Semi can play in the post it would be his best (some might say his only) path to playing time in 2013-14. If he can be a plus defender in the post, then it would solve the only real "issue" we have next year.

That said, I have my doubts. I know his father reportedly said Semi has grown to 6'8", but last summer Semi measured in at 6'6.5 (in shoes) 217 lbs, with a 6'9.5 wingspan at the 2012 LeBron James Skills Academy. His body seems a bit too well developed for someone who might grow to 6'8 or 6'9 at age 17 or 18. Still, if he somehow shows up 6'9 230, with a 7' wingspan, then I think we'll have a winner.

CDu
05-21-2013, 02:34 PM

To be fair, each Parker, Jefferson, Hairston, and Plumlee almost exclusively guarded post players on the AAU circuit. So I'm not sure that's evidence that Ojeleye would be an improvement over those guys in terms of post defense at the college level.

That being said, if Ojeleye comes to Duke with the size to play C, I think he would be a terrific option there. Any concerns about his offensive skills translating to the college level would be greatly mitigated by playing the 5, because those guys aren't going to be comfortable guarding him away from the basket. If, for example, he comes to Duke at 6'7"-6'8" and 225-230, given his strength and athleticism I'd say he's a more suitable option than Jefferson (due to strength) or Hairston (athleticism) at the 5. And if Plumlee isn't ready to contribute major minutes, he would be an upgrade there too. If he's 6'6" 220 (as he's currently listed), then I'd be VERY skeptical of his suitability at the 5.

CDu
05-21-2013, 02:35 PM
As I and others have said earlier in this thread, if Semi can play in the post it would be his best (some might say his only) path to playing time in 2013-14. If he can be a plus defender in the post, then it would solve the only real "issue" we have next year.

That said, I have my doubts. I know his father reportedly said Semi has grown to 6'8", but last summer Semi measured in at 6'6.5 (in shoes) 217 lbs, with a 6'9.5 wingspan at the 2012 LeBron James Skills Academy. His body seems a bit too well developed for someone who might grow to 6'8 or 6'9 at age 17 or 18. Still, if he somehow shows up 6'9 230, with a 7' wingspan, then I think we'll have a winner.

Arrghh! You beat me to the punch. I pretty much agree with everything you just said.

BD80
05-21-2013, 03:11 PM
As I and others have said earlier in this thread, if Semi can play in the post it would be his best (some might say his only) path to playing time in 2013-14. ...

... last summer Semi measured in at 6'6.5 (in shoes) 217 lbs, with a 6'9.5 wingspan ... if he somehow shows up 6'9 230, with a 7' wingspan, then I think we'll have a winner.

Talk about "coaching up" a player!

We would have found our "big man" AND our new "big man coach!"

OldPhiKap
05-21-2013, 03:24 PM
Competition for playing time in practice should be great next year. Semi will get time if he earns it.

Personally, I cannot wait to see Hood on the floor. I think he is going to be hard to dislodge in the rotation.

subzero02
05-21-2013, 06:36 PM
Competition for playing time in practice should be great next year. Semi will get time if he earns it.

Personally, I cannot wait to see Hood on the floor. I think he is going to be hard to dislodge in the rotation.

The only thing that will dislodge Hood from the rotation is an injury... knock on wood.

Newton_14
05-21-2013, 08:33 PM
I am intriqued with Oly's thoughts, while also cautiously optimistic as Kedsy and CDu. It was a long time ago, but in 96-97, Duke finished tied for 1st in the ACC Regular Season with a starting center named Chris Carrawell. The point is not that Semi and Chris are comparable in size or skill, but rather that Chris was a natural wing forced to play the 5 and it happened to have worked out fairly well, and that was with the 1-4 spots filled with guys not nearly as talented as what Duke will have surrounding the 5 this season.

Like Kedsy said, given the logjam at the wing positions, playing in the post will be Semi's best chance to get PT. At this point, one thing we know for certain is the center spot will be "manned by committee", none of which are similar in size and skillset. If nothing else we will throw a lot of different looks at the opponent from that spot. Will it work well enough to lead to a Final Four/Title? "To be continued...."

jimsumner
05-21-2013, 09:11 PM
I am intriqued with Oly's thoughts, while also cautiously optimistic as Kedsy and CDu. It was a long time ago, but in 96-97, Duke finished tied for 1st in the ACC Regular Season with a starting center named Chris Carrawell. The point is not that Semi and Chris are comparable in size or skill, but rather that Chris was a natural wing forced to play the 5 and it happened to have worked out fairly well, and that was with the 1-4 spots filled with guys not nearly as talented as what Duke will have surrounding the 5 this season.

Like Kedsy said, given the logjam at the wing positions, playing in the post will be Semi's best chance to get PT. At this point, one thing we know for certain is the center spot will be "manned by committee", none of which are similar in size and skillset. If nothing else we will throw a lot of different looks at the opponent from that spot. Will it work well enough to lead to a Final Four/Title? "To be continued...."

Actually, McLeod usually guarded the opposing 5 in 1997 (after Newton imploded), with Carrawell starting at the 4. Ricky Price even started some at the 4!

And please, no Chris Carrawell-shutting-down-Tim-Duncan-nonsense. Duncan scored 26 points that night.

And that under-sized lineup didn't do so well in the post-season. I suspect none of us would be happy next season with a regular-season title, followed by zero wins in the ACCT and one win in the NCAAT.

I prefer 1988 as an example, when Duke started Danny Ferry, Billy King and Robert Brickey in the front court, won the ACCT and advanced to the Final Four. 6-10, 6-6, 6-5.

Kedsy
05-21-2013, 09:18 PM
I prefer 1988 as an example, when Duke started Danny Ferry, Billy King and Robert Brickey in the front court, won the ACCT and advanced to the Final Four. 6-10, 6-6, 6-5.

I'm getting old and my memory's not what it used to be, but did Ferry even guard the opposing center that much? My recollection is Brickey usually guarded the 5, backed up by John Smith.

dukelifer
05-21-2013, 09:28 PM
I'm getting old and my memory's not what it used to be, but did Ferry even guard the opposing center that much? My recollection is Brickey usually guarded the 5, backed up by John Smith.

They also had Alaa and Buckley who gave some minutes - but Smith did play down low and was an undersized "center"

jimsumner
05-21-2013, 09:35 PM

Brickey usually jumped center. Of course, so did Gerald Henderson.

Brickey and Ferry both guarded 5s, Ferry more than Brickey. But Brickey was an unltra-quick, 6-5 jumping jack. So, switching from one to another gave Duke something of a change-of-pace.

Hopefully, the kind of effective substitution options Duke will have next season.

Ferry and J.R. Reid had some absolute wars in 1988 and 1989. No quarter asked, none given.

Some more thoughts on the difference between 1997 and 1988. Duke started 1997 with a 4/5 rotation of Newton, McLeod and Domzalski. Should have been enough to keep Carrawell and Price on the wing.

But Domzalski had a bad knee and barely played. Newton played quite well early, then not so well, then really bad. K threw in the towel on Newton, barely playing him down the stretch.

So, weaknesses largely forced K's hand in 1997 and I think he did a pretty good job of working around those weaknesses. But in the regular-season finale at Carolina, Duke was outrebounded 49-18.

No, that's not a typo. Duke was -31 on the boards. It was a team effort. Carrawell had one rebound, McLeod 2.

Duke actually hung tough-the final was 91-85--making 17-of-34 from three-point range.

But you can't count on 17-34. Providence killed Duke 43-24 on the boards in the NCAA second round. Derrick Brown went for 33 and 10, Austin Croshere 21 and 10. Newton didn't get off the bench, ending his career with a DNP-CD.

The 1988 team was a different kettle of fish. Duke returned post starters Ferry and John Smith from the previous season's Sweet Sixteen team. But Brickey was so good in practice, K didn't think he could keep him out of the lineup. But not only did Duke have the 6-8 Smith on the bench, they also had 6-11 sophomore Alaa Abdelnaby. So that team had more options than the 1997 team.

Newton_14
05-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Actually, McLeod usually guarded the opposing 5 in 1997 (after Newton imploded), with Carrawell starting at the 4. Ricky Price even started some at the 4!

And please, no Chris Carrawell-shutting-down-Tim-Duncan-nonsense. Duncan scored 26 points that night.

And that under-sized lineup didn't do so well in the post-season. I suspect none of us would be happy next season with a regular-season title, followed by zero wins in the ACCT and one win in the NCAAT.

Thanks for your thoughts Jim. As usual I did not clearly get my point out. Being aware of the flameout in the 97 tourney's I mentioned the fact that the talent at the 1-4 positions this upcoming season is much better than the talent that surrounded Chris (or Mcleod if you prefer) in 97. I also did not imply/suggest/ or even think that Chris shutdown Duncan. Very aware of that myth.

The main point was that we had success with undersized guys defending in the post. This seasons team will have a chance to be a really good/great team despite the lack of size in the post as well.

Agree that the 88 team is another good example with Brickey and King. (Ferry is likely the biggest "guard" in ACC history) I still think that team was the best defensive team K has ever had even being undersized in the paint. Those guys made life hell for opponents guards/wings.

jimsumner
05-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Thanks for your thoughts Jim. As usual I did not clearly get my point out. Being aware of the flameout in the 97 tourney's I mentioned the fact that the talent at the 1-4 positions this upcoming season is much better than the talent that surrounded Chris (or Mcleod if you prefer) in 97. I also did not imply/suggest/ or even think that Chris shutdown Duncan. Very aware of that myth.

The main point was that we had success with undersized guys defending in the post. This seasons team will have a chance to be a really good/great team despite the lack of size in the post as well.

Agree that the 88 team is another good example with Brickey and King. (Ferry is likely the biggest "guard" in ACC history) I still think that team was the best defensive team K has ever had even being undersized in the paint. Those guys made life hell for opponents guards/wings.

Agree with the comments about the 1988 team defensively. Ferry was joined in the starting lineup by 6-6 Billy King, 6-5 Robert Brickey, 6-5 Kevin Strickland and 6-3 Quin Snyder. Length and athleticism galore on the perimeter.

And the bench included Smith, Abdelnaby, 6-4 Phil Henderson and 6-6 Greg Koubek. Contrary to another myth, K had depth on that team and used it. Nine guys played at least 320 minutes that (35-game) season.

Duke forced 677 turnovers that season, an average of more than 19 per game.

Before Duke became known as the 3-point-program it was known as the shut-down-defense program. Duke's 63-53 win over Mark Macon and top-ranked Temple is one of the great defensive jobs in school history.

Don't get me wrong. I like 3-point sharp-shooters as much as the next guy. But I wouldn't mind going back to the days when opposing teams trembled in their Nikes over the idea of having to run their offense against Duke's defense.

mgtr
05-24-2013, 05:22 PM
I was flipping through my DVR, and stumbled on the Dec 2010 game against K State (well, I just recorded the first half). There were two things of interest: Kyrie Irving was amazing, and K State had a player called Ojeleye. I presume this must be Semi's older brother. Do we have any info on this?

mkline09
05-24-2013, 05:39 PM
I was flipping through my DVR, and stumbled on the Dec 2010 game against K State (well, I just recorded the first half). There were two things of interest: Kyrie Irving was amazing, and K State had a player called Ojeleye. I presume this must be Semi's older brother. Do we have any info on this?

Yes his brother Victor.

dukelifer
05-24-2013, 08:53 PM
Yes his brother Victor.

Seems that Victor was the man in high school as well- scoring over 26 Pts and grabbing 12 boards. The concerning piece is that he averaged about 2 ppg in his career. He is about the same size as Semi.

Olympic Fan
05-25-2013, 10:39 AM
I don't want to take the thread on a tangent -- I'll bring this back on topic, I promise.

But I was intrigued by Jim's comments about the "Chris Carrawell shut down Tim Duncan" myth. He's right -- Duncan did have a big night and McLeod actually guarded him most of the game. But there is also a kernel of truth in the myth. Down the stretch (not sure of the exact time -- something like the final 4-5 minutes), Carrawell DID guard Duncan and DID shut him down.

But it wasn't all Carrawell. Chris once talked about the sequence and he made it clear that what happened was that Duke's TEAM defense prevented Wake from getting Duncan the ball. He was a big part of that, but so were Jeff Capel and Chris Collins on the Wake guards, Tony Rutland and Jerry Braswell. It reminded me of an interview in '91 when Christian Laettner talked about "shutting down" Shaq in Cameron late in that season. Again, he stressed that the key was not him going one-on-one with O'Nieal ... it was the pressurer Hurley, T Hill and G Hill put on the perimeter denying the entry pass.

That brings me back to next year. What so many people on this board don't seem to understand is that even though Duke plays a man-to-man defense, it plays a TEAM defense. Defending the post is not a function of Marshall Plumlee, Amile Jefferson, Josh Hairston or Tarik Black matching up against Shaquille Cleare or Daniel Miller or even Mitch McGary. It's a function of a cohesive five-man defense working together to shut down passing lanes.

Yes, Duke might be vulnerable on the boards -- but check the historical record, some of K's best teams were indifferent rebounding teams.

There have been exceptions -- 2010 was a huge one (Duke was the best offensive rebounding team in the country late). But that year also emphasizes another point -- I've seen posters on the board talk about how Duke's defense work and they make it seem like K plays a rigid system that has to work one way and requires certain physical qualities.

That's the exact opposite of the truth -- even though K always plays man-to-man, he has demonstrated more defensive flexibility than any coach in America. He varies his pickup point, his switching philosophy ... a dozen different things, based on his team's talent and personality. Anybody who could watch Duke in 1988, 1998 and 2010 could NEVER think Duke played the same defense every year. About the one constant is that he puts a high value on pressuring the primary opposing ballhandler.

The idea that this season is going to come down to a succession of 6-9, 260 guys backing Amile or Josh down in the post is absurd. Duke might be hurt at times by talented big men (although how many ACC post players are big weapons?), but there are dozens of variables that are much more important.

My comments about Semi playing the post in AAU and all-star situations was not meant to suggest that he would be our center -- only that he's just one of many options that K can use to fill the post.

Turtleboy
05-25-2013, 11:39 AM
Seems that Victor was the man in high school as well- scoring over 26 Pts and grabbing 12 boards. The concerning piece is that he averaged about 2 ppg in his career. He is about the same size as Semi.Why would that be a concern? Plenty of players are the same size as Semi and don't have good college careers. And plenty of really good college players have brothers who are the same size but are not very good college players. Can you expand on that please?

dukelifer
05-25-2013, 12:34 PM
Why would that be a concern? Plenty of players are the same size as Semi and don't have good college careers. And plenty of really good college players have brothers who are the same size but are not very good college players. Can you expand on that please?

The issue with Semi has been the level of competition. His brother also had big numbers playing at the same high school- yet never got close to those in college. That said- Semi was even a level above his brother. Time will tell. I still expect Semi will be a very good player for Duke in time.

Turtleboy
05-25-2013, 03:58 PM
That said- Semi was even a level above his brother.Or two. Or three. That notwithstanding, it seems odd to be concerned about a player's future performance based on the past performance of his brother, especially when the salient connection seems to be that they played against the same level of competition. For that matter, playing in the same division? (Can't think of the term) several years apart is not necessarily playing at the same level.

turnandburn55
05-25-2013, 04:10 PM
The issue with Semi has been the level of competition. His brother also had big numbers playing at the same high school- yet never got close to those in college. That said- Semi was even a level above his brother. Time will tell. I still expect Semi will be a very good player for Duke in time.

Yes, but this was expected. Victor was a walk-on at KSU, not a recruited player. In fact he had almost no D-I interest in the recruiting cycle, big numbers or not. Semi is a very different story. Nice to hear though, that the older brother became a very well-regarded role player and leader for his team despite not having the gifts of an elite D-I player.

http://cjonline.com/sports/2012-03-01/k-states-ojeleye-finds-fulfillment-walk

dukelifer
05-25-2013, 08:50 PM
Or two. Or three. That notwithstanding, it seems odd to be concerned about a player's future performance based on the past performance of his brother, especially when the salient connection seems to be that they played against the same level of competition. For that matter, playing in the same division? (Can't think of the term) several years apart is not necessarily playing at the same level.

I was more concerned about the level of competition as has been raised before and was using his brother as a barometer of that. I did not realize that his brother was not recruited to K state. I have been very excited that Duke got Semi- but this gave me brief pause. The comments suggest that this is not an issue of concern.

Newton_14
05-25-2013, 09:41 PM
I don't want to take the thread on a tangent -- I'll bring this back on topic, I promise.

But I was intrigued by Jim's comments about the "Chris Carrawell shut down Tim Duncan" myth. He's right -- Duncan did have a big night and McLeod actually guarded him most of the game. But there is also a kernel of truth in the myth. Down the stretch (not sure of the exact time -- something like the final 4-5 minutes), Carrawell DID guard Duncan and DID shut him down.

But it wasn't all Carrawell. Chris once talked about the sequence and he made it clear that what happened was that Duke's TEAM defense prevented Wake from getting Duncan the ball. He was a big part of that, but so were Jeff Capel and Chris Collins on the Wake guards, Tony Rutland and Jerry Braswell. It reminded me of an interview in '91 when Christian Laettner talked about "shutting down" Shaq in Cameron late in that season. Again, he stressed that the key was not him going one-on-one with O'Nieal ... it was the pressurer Hurley, T Hill and G Hill put on the perimeter denying the entry pass.

That brings me back to next year. What so many people on this board don't seem to understand is that even though Duke plays a man-to-man defense, it plays a TEAM defense. Defending the post is not a function of Marshall Plumlee, Amile Jefferson, Josh Hairston or Tarik Black matching up against Shaquille Cleare or Daniel Miller or even Mitch McGary. It's a function of a cohesive five-man defense working together to shut down passing lanes.

Yes, Duke might be vulnerable on the boards -- but check the historical record, some of K's best teams were indifferent rebounding teams.

There have been exceptions -- 2010 was a huge one (Duke was the best offensive rebounding team in the country late). But that year also emphasizes another point -- I've seen posters on the board talk about how Duke's defense work and they make it seem like K plays a rigid system that has to work one way and requires certain physical qualities.

That's the exact opposite of the truth -- even though K always plays man-to-man, he has demonstrated more defensive flexibility than any coach in America. He varies his pickup point, his switching philosophy ... a dozen different things, based on his team's talent and personality. Anybody who could watch Duke in 1988, 1998 and 2010 could NEVER think Duke played the same defense every year. About the one constant is that he puts a high value on pressuring the primary opposing ballhandler.

The idea that this season is going to come down to a succession of 6-9, 260 guys backing Amile or Josh down in the post is absurd. Duke might be hurt at times by talented big men (although how many ACC post players are big weapons?), but there are dozens of variables that are much more important.

My comments about Semi playing the post in AAU and all-star situations was not meant to suggest that he would be our center -- only that he's just one of many options that K can use to fill the post.

Bingo. Great post Oly. The irony in K's man to man (or mandaman as once famous announcer says it) is that it has a lot of zone principles. Oh the horror.;)

BD80
05-27-2013, 10:30 PM
Yes, but this was expected. Victor was a walk-on at KSU, not a recruited player. In fact he had almost no D-I interest in the recruiting cycle, big numbers or not. Semi is a very different story. Nice to hear though, that the older brother became a very well-regarded role player and leader for his team despite not having the gifts of an elite D-I player.

http://cjonline.com/sports/2012-03-01/k-states-ojeleye-finds-fulfillment-walk

Victor was on a different Vector. Roger? Oveur.

Huh? What? At least its Semi-related.

camion
05-27-2013, 10:58 PM
Victor was on a different Vector. Roger? Oveur.

Huh? What? At least its Semi-related.

Semi is an entirely different kind of player, altogether.

OldPhiKap
05-27-2013, 11:09 PM

Surely, you jest.

BD80
05-28-2013, 10:36 AM

Surely, you jest.

In chorus: "Semi is an entirely different kind of player"

And don't call me Shirley.

If Semi pronounces his name with a "sh" and a long "e," and given he is new to the college game, raw if you will, could we call him ...

Sashimi?

MCFinARL
05-28-2013, 11:04 AM
In chorus: "Semi is an entirely different kind of player"

And don't call me Shirley.

If Semi pronounces his name with a "sh" and a long "e," and given he is new to the college game, raw if you will, could we call him ...

Sashimi?

Or maybe Semi Semi Ko-Ko Bop? (Probably most people on this board too young even to remember hearing this Little Anthony and the Imperials tune on oldies radio, sigh.....)

jimsumner
05-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Or maybe Semi Semi Ko-Ko Bop? (Probably most people on this board too young even to remember hearing this Little Anthony and the Imperials tune on oldies radio, sigh.....)

I think you're going out of your head.

wilko
05-28-2013, 11:48 AM

"Now my old world is gone for dead"...?

Ichabod Drain
05-28-2013, 11:51 AM

If they are too young they probably remember Nelly's Country Grammar... shimmy shimmy cocoa what?

nocilla
05-28-2013, 01:02 PM
If they are too young they probably remember Nelly's Country Grammar... shimmy shimmy cocoa what?

Or Digital Underground's 'Kiss you back', "Shimmy shimmy cocoa pop"

roywhite
05-28-2013, 01:39 PM

Here it is.

Little Anthony and the Imperials from 1959 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGlHOasCgxY)

devildeac
05-28-2013, 01:41 PM

"Now my old world is gone for dead"...?

1. Little Anthony and the Imperials
2. Electric Light Orchestra

Nice connection;).

MCFinARL
05-28-2013, 02:19 PM

Day and night.

MCFinARL
05-28-2013, 02:33 PM

Or Digital Underground's 'Kiss you back', "Shimmy shimmy cocoa pop"

Both good points--I had completely forgotten about the Nelly song and missed the Digital Underground song completely (not a huge surprise for someone old enough to remember Little Anthony, however faintly. ;) )

As long as I'm digging through ancient musical history, I'm guessing "I wish I could Semi like my sister Kate" would be a terrible nickname and not much better as a theme song....

jimrowe0
07-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Well it looks like Semi can jump out of the gym. Here is a look at his standing vertical test from duke blue planet.

This is unbelievable.

http://instagram.com/p/bRXDDfRGUG/#

NSDukeFan
07-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Well it looks like Semi can jump out of the gym. Here is a look at his standing vertical test from duke blue planet.

This is unbelievable.

Looks like he'll be able to make change on the top of the backboard. Wow!
It has been nice the last five years to have a Plumlee who could get up as high as just about any opponent. Good to see the team will have someone like that again the next few years (in addition to Marshall.)

timmy c
07-02-2013, 03:35 PM

This is unbelievable.

That's some serious cinder blockage!

Henderson
07-02-2013, 03:49 PM

Nice. My first thought was, "WHOA!" But then I thought "Pfft. I could do that from any high quality commercially-available trampoline." At least with smaller cinder blocks.

I don't know how far we go this year against teams that can keep pounding it inside to a big guy (hopeful Duke guy... calling MP3), but dang is it gonna be fun to watch. And with solid defense, this could be a really good year.

uh_no
07-02-2013, 03:54 PM

This is unbelievable.

some crazy parallax issues going on there...the angled blue curtain thing screws up the perspective a bit....would love to see the actual number

wilko
07-02-2013, 03:59 PM

Robert Brickey territory..

camion
07-02-2013, 04:02 PM
OMG is generally overused, but OMG!!

roywhite
07-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Robert Brickey territory..

Yeah, I was thinking Corey Maggette.

Can't wait to see Semi in action.

BD80
07-02-2013, 04:43 PM

This is unbelievable.

Big deal, give me a long pole like that and I could knock those sticks around too!

Wait. That's WITHOUT a running start? Never mind.

Got a feeling the FAA is going to get involved at some point. Somebody should tell PJ that this is what getting high is all about!

MChambers
07-02-2013, 04:59 PM
Am trying to stop hyperventilating by reminding myself that actual basketball skills are more important and thinking about watching Olek Czyz play, but it's not working. I am Semi-excited.

jimrowe0
07-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Looking at the picture I would say he is probably 5 inches short of the top of the backboard (13 feet normally regulation). Its pretty hard to tell given the angle of the photo. I have heard reports that he had a 44 inch vertical. Looking at the numbers:

13 ft x 12 in= 156 in - 5 in from top = 151 in

Semi is close to 6'8" in shoes with a 6'9.5" wing span. So I would guess around 8'10"-9' standing with his hands extended.

If so that would be about between 106-108 in.

Given him a standing vertical between 43-45 inches.

CDu
07-02-2013, 06:18 PM

This is unbelievable.

I have trouble believing that is his standing vert. Either way (running or standing), it is quite impressive elevation.

Dr. Rosenrosen
07-03-2013, 01:09 AM
Seems extremely unlikely it was anything close to a 44 inch standing vertical. Max recorded standing vert in NBA combine history is 36 inches...

http://fansided.com/2013/05/17/shane-larkin-records-second-highest-max-vertical-jump-in-nba-combine-history/

Still, however high that leap really is, it looks to be super impressive!

Ichabod Drain
07-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Seems extremely unlikely it was anything close to a 44 inch standing vertical. Max recorded standing vert in NBA combine history is 36 inches...

http://fansided.com/2013/05/17/shane-larkin-records-second-highest-max-vertical-jump-in-nba-combine-history/

I believe it's unlikely he has a 44 inch standing vertical, but Harrison Barnes had a 38" just last year.

http://nbadraft.net/2012-nba-combine-athleticism-results

thenameisbond
07-03-2013, 09:22 AM

I've seen Semi play in person. There's no comparison.
Semi can knock down 3s and is at a completely different level in terms of athleticism to attack the basket.
Josh is strong enough to provide some post defense and rebounding, but he's not much of a scoring threat.

CDu
07-03-2013, 09:44 AM

I think you're misreading that article. Larkin's MAX vert (44") is 1.5" off the highest max vert recorded (by Kenny Gregory). Several players have reached 36" or higher on their no-step vert:
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&source=All&sort=10

Five players have gone 38" or higher, and the highest recorded was 40" by DJ Stephens this year.

Regardless, the point still stands. A 44" no-step vert is almost certainly unfeasible. A 36-38" no-step vert would be among the best ever among college basketball players. Heck, a 44" max vert would be tied for the best ever among college basketball players.

killerleft
07-03-2013, 11:16 AM

Clever of them to cover up the cinder blocks, so I guess we'll just have to see him in person to get the full effect.

timmy c
07-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Clever of them to cover up the cinder blocks, so I guess we'll just have to see him in person to get the full effect.

Without cinder blocks it is impossible to venture any guess as to how high semi can leap. Boy, will the ACC be surprised when Duke puts five position-less 6-8 guys on the floor who can leap out of the gym and shoot the lights out from locker room. ;) Seeing them in person will be required!

Greg_Newton
07-03-2013, 12:36 PM
I'm having trouble coming up with reasons why he can't play some "center" for us this year. He's probably strong enough, and he's apparently not exactly vertically challenged either. Can't wait to see how he stacks up physically in the Pro-Am.

Henderson
07-03-2013, 12:45 PM
I think you're misreading that article. Larkin's MAX vert (44") is 1.5" off the highest max vert recorded (by Kenny Gregory). Several players have reached 36" or higher on their no-step vert:
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&source=All&sort=10

Five players have gone 38" or higher, and the highest recorded was 40" by DJ Stephens this year.

Regardless, the point still stands. A 44" no-step vert is almost certainly unfeasible. A 36-38" no-step vert would be among the best ever among college basketball players. Heck, a 44" max vert would be tied for the best ever among college basketball players.

How about David Thompson? He might have come along before such stats were officially measured, so maybe he was never officially measured for a standing vertical, but it was way up there.

BTW, I like to measure my vertical leap in millimeters so I can hit double digits.

CDu
07-03-2013, 02:22 PM
How about David Thompson? He might have come along before such stats were officially measured, so maybe he was never officially measured for a standing vertical, but it was way up there.

BTW, I like to measure my vertical leap in millimeters so I can hit double digits.

Thompson certainly had an amazing vertical. He certainly came before these measurables were tracked (they apparently didn't start officially measuring these things until within the last 10-15 years).

But given the advancements in nutrition and athletic training over the past 40 years, I'd actually guess that Thompson's vert is, at best, comparable to the highest of flyers of in today's game. I definitely doubt that his standing vert was north of 40".

Sure, we've all heard the anecdote about leaving a dollar on the top of the backboard and making change. But it is a myth: http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/4307/james-white-vs-a-jumping-myth

jimrowe0
07-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Great article, I really enjoyed it. Looking at the picture, he looks to be about 5 or 6 inches short of the top. It appears that maybe that was his max vert and not his standing vert from the picture.

Check out this video for comparison.

http://www.prepforce.com/video/3669/holy-dunk-semi-ojeleye?AVS=7501ed1501bcfa7d939acc49c05cfdbf

CDu
07-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Great article, I really enjoyed it. Looking at the picture, he looks to be about 5 or 6 inches short of the top. It appears that maybe that was his max vert and not his standing vert from the picture.

http://www.prepforce.com/video/3669/holy-dunk-semi-ojeleye?AVS=7501ed1501bcfa7d939acc49c05cfdbf

Both of those statements sound more plausible. Even then, we're talking about an extreme end of the bell curve here. Touching 6 inches below the top of the glass would be reaching 12'6". Assuming a standing reach somewhere in the 8'9"-8'10" range (which is about right for a long-armed guy 6'7") would put that at a 44"-45" vertical. Even that would be among the highest max verts ever measured.

In any case, the moral of the story is the same. It's quite clear that Ojeleye is a phenomenal leaper. Whether it's a 39" max vertical or a 45" max vertical, both are pretty ridiculous.

bedeviled
07-03-2013, 04:37 PM
When speaking of max vertical, Brickey and Maggette got some love, but let's not forget about Miles Plumlee (remarkable) and Carmen Wallace (astounding).

Gerald Henderson = 35" (from Draft Express (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&source=All&sort=12))
Chris Duhon = 35" (from Draft Express (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&source=All&sort=12))
Olek Czyz = 35" (from Draft Express (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&source=All&sort=12))
Mason Plumlee = 36" (from Draft Express (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&source=All&sort=12))
Jay Williams = 36" (from Draft Express (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&source=All&sort=12))
Austin Rivers = 37.5" (from Draft Express (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&source=All&sort=12))
DeMarcus Nelson = 38.5" (from Draft Express (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&source=All&sort=12))
Jay Heaps = 39" (Self-proclaimed, but I did see 38" listed in the LA Times (http://archive.revolutionsoccer.net/search/index.cfm?ac=searchdetail&pid=18108&pcid=115 ))
Cory Maggette = 39" (article says it used pre-draft combine data (http://www.muscleprodigy.com/the-10-most-jacked-nba-basketball-players-arcl-844.html))
Dahntay Jones = 39.5" (from Draft Express (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&source=All&sort=12))
Robert Brickey = 40" (per LA Times (http://articles.latimes.com/1989-04-02/sports/sp-1492_1_duke-bench))
Miles Plumlee = 40.5" (from Draft Express (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&source=All&sort=12))
Carmen Wallace = 48" (per The Chronicle (http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/1996/02/07/wallace-earns-respect-cameron-crazies ))
Elliot Williams = 48” (per The Oregonian’s Oregon Live (http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2010/07/blazers_elliot_williams_tantal.html))

Ricky Price = ??
Grant Hill = ??
Thomas Hill = ??
Phil Henderson = ??
Johnny Dawkins = ??

CDu
07-03-2013, 04:48 PM
When speaking of max vertical, Brickey and Maggette got some love, but let's not forget about Miles Plumlee (remarkable) and Carmen Wallace (astounding).

Gerald Henderson = 35" (from Draft Express (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&source=All&sort=12))
Chris Duhon = 35" (from Draft Express (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&source=All&sort=12))
Olek Czyz = 35" (from Draft Express (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&source=All&sort=12))
Mason Plumlee = 36" (from Draft Express (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&source=All&sort=12))
Jay Williams = 36" (from Draft Express (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&source=All&sort=12))
Austin Rivers = 37.5" (from Draft Express (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&source=All&sort=12))
DeMarcus Nelson = 38.5" (from Draft Express (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&source=All&sort=12))
Jay Heaps = 39" (Self-proclaimed, but I did see 38" listed in the LA Times (http://archive.revolutionsoccer.net/search/index.cfm?ac=searchdetail&pid=18108&pcid=115 ))
Cory Maggette = 39" (article says it used pre-draft combine data (http://www.muscleprodigy.com/the-10-most-jacked-nba-basketball-players-arcl-844.html))
Dahntay Jones = 39.5" (from Draft Express (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&source=All&sort=12))
Robert Brickey = 40" (per LA Times (http://articles.latimes.com/1989-04-02/sports/sp-1492_1_duke-bench))
Miles Plumlee = 40.5" (from Draft Express (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&source=All&sort=12))
Carmen Wallace = 48" (per The Chronicle (http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/1996/02/07/wallace-earns-respect-cameron-crazies ))
Elliot Williams = 48” (per The Oregonian’s Oregon Live (http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2010/07/blazers_elliot_williams_tantal.html))

Ricky Price = ??
Grant Hill = ??
Thomas Hill = ??
Phil Henderson = ??
Johnny Dawkins = ??

Those 48" estimates are almost certainly anecdotal and not accurate.

jimrowe0
07-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Both of those statements sound more plausible. Even then, we're talking about an extreme end of the bell curve here. Touching 6 inches below the top of the glass would be reaching 12'6". Assuming a standing reach somewhere in the 8'9"-8'10" range (which is about right for a long-armed guy 6'7") would put that at a 44"-45" vertical. Even that would be among the highest max verts ever measured.

In any case, the moral of the story is the same. It's quite clear that Ojeleye is a phenomenal leaper. Whether it's a 39" max vertical or a 45" max vertical, both are pretty ridiculous.

If Shane Larkin's max vert was 44 inches, then I can certainly believe that Semi could be at that level.

Henderson
07-03-2013, 08:50 PM

In that video, it looks as though the top of his head extends to the rim. If so, and he's 6'7" in shoes, that would make his vertical leap there 41". (6'7" = 79 inches; rim = 120 inches).

Not a standing leap, but also not necessarily his max either, since he was also doing some other complicated stuff at the same time and not just going for the greatest possible vertical.

I don't think 44" from a standing position, when he's totally focused on just getting up, is out of the question.

BD80
07-08-2013, 11:46 PM

This is unbelievable.

Here's a video of a D1 FB recruit completing a 68" box jump:

http://www.stack.com/2013/06/20/unbelievable-17-year-olds-68-inch-box-jump/

Somehow some clips from my personal workouts got mixed into the video.

phaedrus
07-09-2013, 12:04 AM
Here's a video of a D1 FB recruit completing a 68" box jump:

http://www.stack.com/2013/06/20/unbelievable-17-year-olds-68-inch-box-jump/

Somehow some clips from my personal workouts got mixed into the video.

Since we're posting these things now, I usually post this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVZ3ZcorTF0

DukeFanSince1990
07-25-2013, 04:18 PM
I hope he hits the weight room soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRLkYZLrtPs

flyingdutchdevil
07-25-2013, 04:34 PM

He needs to gain weight big time. He's looking thinner than John Henson after a bout of food poisoning.

killerleft
07-25-2013, 04:35 PM

I just hope he doesn't swing too hard!;) If it wasn't for football, I'd be ready for the season to start today. Who knows how things will shake out, but Coach K should really enjoy fitting all the pieces together this year.

BD80
07-25-2013, 04:59 PM

Ummm. It kind of looks like he's not only been hitting it, it looks like he smuggling some out when he goes! The difference between Semi's arms in the highlight reels and in the interview is impressive! At this rate, by time the season starts, he'll be semi-spectacular.

Henderson
07-25-2013, 04:59 PM
He needs to gain weight big time. He's looking thinner than John Henson after a bout of food poisoning.

Hahaha. Good one.

Wait, you were joking right?

Two words: Gene Banks.

CLW
07-25-2013, 07:58 PM
Semi looked HUGE which I guess could feed further fuel to the fire of him playing the 5 if/when needed.

jipops
07-25-2013, 08:30 PM
Semi looked HUGE which I guess could feed further fuel to the fire of him playing the 5 if/when needed.

I suppose it's possible he could go Chris Carrawell on us in that way, but highly unlikely. I think we'll have atleast 4 other options at center before putting Semi there.

Kedsy
07-25-2013, 10:22 PM
I suppose it's possible he could go Chris Carrawell on us in that way, but highly unlikely. I think we'll have atleast 4 other options at center before putting Semi there.

I think you're probably right, but if Semi proves himself worthy of playing time in 2013-14, the only spot where there's room for him is center (or possibly PF if Jabari plays center). So if the coaching staff needs to think outside the box in order to find playing time for Semi, it's not outrageous to suggest he'll find that time at the 5 spot.

johnb
07-26-2013, 12:57 AM
I think you're probably right, but if Semi proves himself worthy of playing time in 2013-14, the only spot where there's room for him is center (or possibly PF if Jabari plays center). So if the coaching staff needs to think outside the box in order to find playing time for Semi, it's not outrageous to suggest he'll find that time at the 5 spot.

As far as i can see, Marshall is our only 5 next year. If he doesnt start, i assume we'll start 3 forwards, with Amile, Semi, Josh, etc battling it out for spots/time alongside Rodney and Jabari. If most of our guys play to expectation, it won't be Duke worrying about mismatches; it'll be the other team.

CLW
10-25-2013, 04:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viB6rGUhEIM

gwlaw99
10-25-2013, 05:05 PM

Wow!

wilson
10-25-2013, 05:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viB6rGUhEIMhttp://youtu.be/qdFLPn30dvQ

BD80
10-25-2013, 05:44 PM
What a pass! Don't know if I want alley-oop passes attempted from half court in real games though ...

Kedsy
10-25-2013, 05:47 PM
What a pass! Don't know if I want alley-oop passes attempted from half court in real games though ...

It looked like the White team was playing some sort of zone or soft pressure. Throwing over top of the press does seem to make some sense if you have a guy who can get up that high and convert. Clearly nobody else was getting near that ball.

moonpie23
10-25-2013, 06:17 PM
one step

Gthoma2a
10-25-2013, 06:49 PM

I like the new approach to playing offense this year. Just like Jackie Moon drew it up. The "alley-oop".

His up-side is insane. He could be more than Wiggins if he gets confidence that he can do anything in the game. That size/athleticism is beyond rare.

Henderson
10-25-2013, 07:21 PM
one step

Good thing he had room to take that step. Otherwise he'd need stitches in his head, and some poor manager would be climbing a ladder to peel bits of his scalp off the rim.

JNort
10-25-2013, 08:22 PM

Cook completed one last year to Mason from half court last year in a game I believe.

slower
10-25-2013, 08:55 PM
He could be more than Wiggins if he gets confidence that he can do anything in the game.

Seriously, man - check yourself.

Gthoma2a
10-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Seriously, man - check yourself.

I am not sold Wiggins will be more than a Gerald Henderson type player. Gerald is great, but not an NBA all-time great (or a number one pick). The only guy I have seen with Semi's kind of size/athleticism who seems to really want to learn from K, the best teacher in the game, is Lebron. I don't think Semi will be Lebron, but if we are saying the main thing that sells you on Wiggins is his athleticism... he can't shoot and his defense isn't great so what would put him above a superior athlete, Semi, besides hype? Wiggins has had more coaching already. Semi hadn't even been in a real strength and conditioning program and was beyond anyone we had. Then, consider the lack of high level coaching/competition. He will be forged in fire with his time at Duke and by the time he finishes, I am betting he will surprise you.

slower
10-25-2013, 09:15 PM
I am not sold Wiggins will be more than a Gerald Henderson type player. Gerald is great, but not an NBA all-time great (or a number one pick). The only guy I have seen with Semi's kind of size/athleticism who seems to really want to learn from K, the best teacher in the game, is Lebron. I don't think Semi will be Lebron, but if we are saying the main thing that sells you on Wiggins is his athleticism... he can't shoot and his defense isn't great so what would put him above a superior athlete, Semi, besides hype? Wiggins has had more coaching already. Semi hadn't even been in a real strength and conditioning program and was beyond anyone we had. Then, consider the lack of high level coaching/competition. He will be forged in fire with his time at Duke and by the time he finishes, I am betting he will surprise you.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, and I'd be overjoyed if you're correct. I guess it just depends on who you want to believe. I've read (although I don't remember the specific source) that Wiggins can be a lock-down defender when he so chooses. His athleticism is insane.

But I hope you're correct about Semi.

JNort
10-25-2013, 09:20 PM

WHAT? Where did you get this from? His NBADraft.net scouting profile says his strengths are: "Already has NBA range ... Quick trigger, with beautiful shot mechanics" but wait the same report also says "Also has the ability to create separation off the dribble for a pull-up jumper ... Good passing instincts and court vision ... Defensively, he gets a lot of deflections ... Uses length and anticipation to come up with a lot of steals and blocks ...". His weaknesses are only listed as lacks toughness/physicality and he plays to complacent sometimes. I find none of those to be a problem at this part of his career. Its hard to stay complacent when you are that much better than everyone you play against.

Gthoma2a
10-25-2013, 09:28 PM
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, and I'd be overjoyed if you're correct. I guess it just depends on who you want to believe. I've read (although I don't remember the specific source) that Wiggins can be a lock-down defender when he so chooses. His athleticism is insane.

But I hope you're correct about Semi.

Understood and appreciated. I just like the potential of Semi. It is like getting a bigger Magette that will probably stick around and be molded in all that K, and Duke, has to offer. If he isn't a lock-down defender, who fights for boards by the time he leaves, I'd be shocked. He can bang with the bigs with his size/strength. That added with the potential to go through the lane with no fear on offense makes me very excited to have him around (and very optimistic regarding his future prospects).

I'd like to see a dunk contest or an NBA combine type of exhibition between the two just for the hell of it.

Gthoma2a
10-25-2013, 09:37 PM
WHAT? Where did you get this from? His NBADraft.net scouting profile says his strengths are: "Already has NBA range ... Quick trigger, with beautiful shot mechanics" but wait the same report also says "Also has the ability to create separation off the dribble for a pull-up jumper ... Good passing instincts and court vision ... Defensively, he gets a lot of deflections ... Uses length and anticipation to come up with a lot of steals and blocks ...". His weaknesses are only listed as lacks toughness/physicality and he plays to complacent sometimes. I find none of those to be a problem at this part of his career. Its hard to stay complacent when you are that much better than everyone you play against.

Maybe the games I watched were his complacent performances, but the only time I have been overly impressed with him was playing for the World team last year (but in that game, everybody on the world was making the US team look like gazelle's trying to take down lions), but the rest of the time that I have gotten to watch a game with him, he looks like he isn't engaged and his shot wasn't falling.

To summarize my point, he looked like Kobe at the Nike Hoops Summit last year, but after that, he went back to being more normal in the rest of the games I have seen.

DevilFalcon
10-25-2013, 11:32 PM
With Jabari likely gone very early, I anticipate Semi being the gem of this class. He seems to be mature beyond his years in both a mental and physical sense. K will do wonders with this guy.

devildeac
10-25-2013, 11:50 PM
I'm surprised the rim is still attached to the backboard. And that the backboard is still in one piece.

Gthoma2a
10-26-2013, 12:07 AM
With Jabari likely gone very early, I anticipate Semi being the gem of this class. He seems to be mature beyond his years in both a mental and physical sense. K will do wonders with this guy.

The crazy thing is that he will play on the inside because he is a stud, but he really has a good shot for a post player. If he gets his handle under control, he will have some really good versatility (he shot around 38% from 3 and 82% from the free throw line; doesn't blow you away, but it isn't bad).

conmanlhughes
10-26-2013, 08:19 AM

I would just like to point out his athleticism his what he sells. He can make those shots from range, but he isn't always consistent from there. He really is a slasher small forward that can make those shots, but prefers to drive. He sort of reminds me of a Rodney Hood that is a bit more athletic and doesn't quite have the consistency of Rodney from 3 point land. He also needs to improve his strength and conditioning, but that's almost every 1 and done that comes from high school. Don't get me wrong, he will be a beast, but that will be because of his athleticism and upside, and to a much lesser extent, his range.

rthomas
10-26-2013, 10:05 AM
The great thing about that video is Coach K's response: meh. But you have to wonder what he's thinking.

Duvall
10-26-2013, 10:21 AM
The great thing about that video is Coach K's response: meh. But you have to wonder what he's thinking.

"This is why we never play a @$&! zone."

Gthoma2a
10-26-2013, 11:10 AM
I would just like to point out his athleticism his what he sells. He can make those shots from range, but he isn't always consistent from there. He really is a slasher small forward that can make those shots, but prefers to drive. He sort of reminds me of a Rodney Hood that is a bit more athletic and doesn't quite have the consistency of Rodney from 3 point land. He also needs to improve his strength and conditioning, but that's almost every 1 and done that comes from high school. Don't get me wrong, he will be a beast, but that will be because of his athleticism and upside, and to a much lesser extent, his range.

Yep, and I will also point out Semi shot better from 3 throughout his HS career.

Henderson
10-27-2013, 10:57 AM

Whose man was that? Was that Amile defending? I can't tell from the video. K may have been watching and not liking the defense, or he may have just been teaching how (and how not) to push the opposing offense out in the half-court. Someone lost track of Semi in that set, which in m-t-m defense is a no no. Teachable moment. So K blows the whistle to teach.

Kedsy
10-27-2013, 11:06 AM
Whose man was that? Was that Amile defending? I can't tell from the video. K may have been watching and not liking the defense, or he may have just been teaching how (and how not) to push the opposing offense out in the half-court. Someone lost track of Semi in that set, which in m-t-m defense is a no no. Teachable moment. So K blows the whistle to teach.

It sure didn't look like we were playing man-to-man in that video. Some sort of zone or soft press.

mgtr
10-27-2013, 11:10 AM
The recent posts in this thread remind me of a conversation with my wife: She uses personal pronouns almost exclusively, so I rarely know about whom she is talking. Now, some of these recent posts are talking about Semi, and some are talking about Wiggins. I wasn't sure which one was the subject of every post, however. Of course, I didn't go to Duke, so that could be the problem!;)

MCFinARL
10-27-2013, 01:34 PM
The recent posts in this thread remind me of a conversation with my wife: She uses personal pronouns almost exclusively, so I rarely know about whom she is talking. Now, some of these recent posts are talking about Semi, and some are talking about Wiggins. I wasn't sure which one was the subject of every post, however. Of course, I didn't go to Duke, so that could be the problem!;)

Hmmm, maybe, but based on my kids' experience (I didn't go to Duke either), there is nothing in the curriculum that teaches students how to interpret unclear pronoun references--if anyone could teach that skill, though, I would sign up right away! :D