PDA

View Full Version : Duke Women vs Monmouth

uh_no
12-30-2012, 03:11 PM
For those not keeping track, the women are up 29-3 at halftime.

wow

burnspbesq
12-30-2012, 03:27 PM
I believe that's an NCAA record for fewest points allowed in a half.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-30-2012, 03:55 PM
For those not keeping track, the women are up 29-3 at halftime.

wow

We obviously slacked off in the second half :rolleyes: The final is 73-32! Congrats ladies!

roywhite
12-30-2012, 04:14 PM
I believe that's an NCAA record for fewest points allowed in a half.

Well, for women's hoops, perhaps.

I seem to remember a Duke men's game from 1979 where a certain close rival of ours trailed 7-0 at halftime, and didn't even hit the rim for the entire first half. :D

Kedsy
12-30-2012, 04:17 PM
Well, for women's hoops, perhaps.

I seem to remember a Duke men's game from 1979 where a certain close rival of ours trailed 7-0 at halftime, and didn't even hit the rim for the entire first half. :D

I can confirm Roy's recollection. But maybe the 3 points from the Duke/Monmouth is a record since the shot clock was instituted?

uh_no
12-30-2012, 04:32 PM
I can confirm Roy's recollection. But maybe the 3 points from the Duke/Monmouth is a record since the shot clock was instituted?

ties the record

FeweSt PoIntS In A hAlF, DIvISIon I teAm
3—Savannah St. vs. Florida St. (54), Nov. 23, 2003 (1st
Half)

interestingly enough, monmouth mem also hold the record for fewest total combined points for both teams for the entire game

also for the record, the 7-0 half is a record for both combined points in a half and points for one team (obviously)

budwom
12-30-2012, 04:45 PM
ties the record

FeweSt PoIntS In A hAlF, DIvISIon I teAm
3—Savannah St. vs. Florida St. (54), Nov. 23, 2003 (1st
Half)

interestingly enough, monmouth mem also hold the record for fewest total combined points for both teams for the entire game

also for the record, the 7-0 half is a record for both combined points in a half and points for one team (obviously)

I shall now use your name against you and declare Uh NO! (to the notion that 7-0 is a record for combined points in a half.)
Some of us old farts vividly recall the 1968(?) ACC semifinal game where Stormin Norman Sloan's ball holding Woofpack trailed Duke 4-2 before tragically prevailing 12-10.

roywhite
12-30-2012, 04:50 PM
I shall now use your name against you and declare Uh NO! (to the notion that 7-0 is a record for combined points in a half.)
Some of us old farts vividly recall the 1968(?) ACC semifinal game where Stormin Norman Sloan's ball holding Woofpack trailed Duke 4-2 before tragically prevailing 12-10.

If I recall, that was the game that Tarheel broadcaster Bill Curry termed "as exciting as artificial insemination".

DU82
12-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Ugly first half. Duke prevented both teams from scoring. We looked pretty bad on offense, but obviously the defense dominated. The Hawks had trouble getting any shot off, and when they did, it wasn't a good one. The second half was much better from a team standpoint, doubling that score would have been 88-58, which would have been about right for these two teams. Monmouth (my nephew's alma mater, BTW, I'll have to get on him later :-) ) was playing without their top player, who was hurt a couple of games ago.

Of the starters, only Tricia Liston had a good game, with 15 points and 9 rebounds. I liked that she passed up a couple of somewhat open threes to drive to the basket. That's going to open up more shots later. She also posted up her much shorter defender at times. We need to take advantage of her size, and good to see the team feed her the ball in that position. (

Haley Peters almost had a "triple double", with 11 points, 10 rebounds and 9 turnovers. She looked out of it in the first half, with way too many mental mistakes. The turnovers weren't the "aggressive" type, either, with a couple of walks in a row along with just losing the ball. I don't know if playing her "home town" team (Monmouth is about ten minutes from Red Bank NJ) bothered her or not.

Elizabeth Williams missed her first eight shots (two resulted in fouls.) But she showed hustle, with at least four saves, beating the Hawk players to the ball either going OOB or loose on the floor. I liked that she didn't play much in the second half, giving her leg a rest (no reason to push it with ACC play starting on Thursday.)

Chelsea also looked a little disjointed. I checked late in the first half and saw that we only had two assists. There was too much one-on-all dribbling/driving from the entire team in the first half. Perhaps it was by design to try and isolate players to prepare for future games, but Chelsea, Alexis and Haley all dribbled into trouble inside too often.

From the bench, it was good to see Richa Jackson playing. She clearly was rusty, but is making progress recovering from her ACL tear from last year. I thought Sierra Moore played well, taking the ball aggressively to the basket, doing better than most of the starters when they did the same.

All in all, a so-so performance. I'd prefer to come out of the Christmas break looking more like UConn than what we did. IF we played the Huskie women today, the final score probably would have been reversed. With Elizabeth still favoring her leg, and Richa coming back from injury (and Amber not playing) I don't see how we match up right now.

uh_no
12-30-2012, 05:22 PM

The NCAA record book begs to differ.

FEWEST POINTS ALLOWED IN A HALF
(Since 1938)
0—Duke (7) vs. North Carolina, Feb. 24, 1979 (first)

FEWEST POINTS, BOTH TEAMS IN A HALF
(Since 1938)
7—Duke (7) vs. North Carolina (0), Feb. 24, 1979 (first)

though the duke media guide confirms that the score of that game was 4-2 at halftime.....idk... shrug...maybe the ncaa doesn't count records against high school teams :)

arnie
12-30-2012, 05:42 PM

though the duke media guide confirms that the score of that game was 4-2 at halftime.....idk... shrug...maybe the ncaa doesn't count records against high school teams :)

The good news -the holes record for futility in a half will never be broken. I've never believed el Deano received proper attention for that masterpiece.

budwom
12-31-2012, 09:08 AM

Well, I guess it's time to splurge on a more accurate record book! It was 20 minutes of "basketball" not easily forgotten.

Lord Ash
12-31-2012, 09:22 AM
Looking at those horrific scores all I can say is "Thank you, Dean Smith!"