PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Non-Duke Player This Season

burnspbesq
12-29-2012, 09:08 PM
I know who mine is: Kevin Pangos. Kid has the whole package, including toughness and leadership ability.

Is it true that we never really looked at him? He would unflippinbelievable in our system.

dukebballcamper90-91
12-29-2012, 09:35 PM
NONE

Chicago 1995
12-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Brandon Paul, who is getting a day in the sun after three years suffering under Bruce Weber.

Other candidates: Rotnei Clarke, Otto Porter, Jeff Withey, Trey Burke, Rodney Williams, Chasson Randle, Kendall Williams. Too many to count really.

But I'm really, really happy for Paul, who had his talent squandered and stifled by Bruce Weber's awful offensive system and increasingly oppressive coaching style, and has come through those three years to be a First Team All American candidate at least after the first two months of the season.

1999ballboy
12-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Michael Snaer, Kenny Kadji, Michael Carter-Williams, Jeff Withey, Doug McDermott, Archie Goodwin, and Ryan Anderson are all guys whose games I enjoy a lot.

throatybeard
12-29-2012, 10:22 PM
Yadier Molina?

subzero02
12-29-2012, 10:28 PM
Larry Drew II...

loran16
12-30-2012, 12:14 AM
Rotnei Clarke. Senior Transfer at Butler running the point and shooting 45%+ from 3, giving them an offense this year to go with the Butler D.

Cameron
12-30-2012, 01:02 AM
Rotnei Clarke is an excellent choice. Kid is the most dangerous shooter in college basketball since J.J. Redick. Although undersized and not super quick, he has unlimited range and an ultra-rapid release. With Clarke on the roster, Butler has a legitimate chance of reaching a third Final Four in four years.

My personal pick: Isaiah Austin. With the ability to cause just as much havoc from beyond the arc as underneath the basket, the Baylor seven-footer is an absolute matchup nightmare. He's a stretch center. If I had to draw a comparison, I'd say he's Tayshaun Prince, only nearly half-a-foot taller. Austin would be unbelievable at Duke. For a kid his size, he just might just be the smoothest player in all of college basketball.

Bob Green
12-30-2012, 07:37 AM
Good question. I'm going to go with Richard Howell who is currently averaging 13.5 points and 9.3 rebounds per game for the Wolfpack. With C.J. Leslie, Lorenzo Brown, Scott Wood and the super talented freshmen T.J. Warren and Rodney Purvis, State has a lot of talent on their roster and are positioned to have a really strong season. However, I believe it is the contributions of Richard Howell that will make the difference in the end. He is their lunch pail player who is willing to accomplish the hard labor in the low post. His ability to defend the basket and rebound will be interesting to follow this season. If he can stay out of foul trouble, once the ACC season starts, State is going to be a tough team to beat.

TruBlu
12-30-2012, 08:24 AM
This is a very easy question. My favorite non-Duke player is any player on any team which is playing against UNC.

OldPhiKap
12-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Adding Kevin Foster to the list. Wow.

Wander
12-30-2012, 08:52 AM
Aaron Craft! But Rotnei Clarke is a good choice too, especially with the bonus he points he gets from beating UNC.

luvdahops
12-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Rotnei Clarke. Senior Transfer at Butler running the point and shooting 45%+ from 3, giving them an offense this year to go with the Butler D.

I am a big fan of Clarke. I also love Roosevelt Jones, who is Butler's glue guy, averaging 8.3ppg, 5.2rpg and 3.3apg while typically drawing the opponent's toughest 1-4 matchup. He was huge against Indiana, with 16, 12 and 7.

arnie
12-30-2012, 09:03 AM
I'm a huge fan of JP Tokoto with his 35% FT and 14.3% 3-point accuracy. Didn't we recruit him?

dukebballcamper90-91
12-30-2012, 09:41 AM
I think we were after JP

diveonthefloor
12-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Laurence Bowers, Mizzou. Unsung. Effort, talent, brains, makes everyone around him better.

cptnflash
12-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Russ Smith from Louisville, better known as Russdiculous. Coolest nickname in sports. And probably a first team All American too!

ChicagoCrazy84
12-30-2012, 11:09 AM
I'm a huge fan of JP Tokoto with his 35% FT and 14.3% 3-point accuracy. Didn't we recruit him?

Ouch...and yes we were after him along with a lot of other teams.

There's a lot of good names out there. I'll give my top 5. Doug McDermott, Kevin Pangos, Mike Muscala, Phil Pressey, and Ben McLemore.

1 24 90
12-30-2012, 12:34 PM
I would like to submit Tyler Haws from BYU. He's back from a 2 year mission and started the year with 6 consecutive 20+ point games and yesterday scored 42 points (an NCAA game high this season) in the rout of Virginia Tech. I actually watched the entire blowout just to see how many points he would get. I enjoy Pangos too but before his explosion Friday night against Baylor, he had been in a slump and seems inconsistent. I'll be interested to see how he does at Oklahoma St. tomorrow.

hurleyfor3
12-30-2012, 12:40 PM
whichever unc player sucks the most

OldPhiKap
12-30-2012, 01:39 PM

Alas, Steve Hale has run out of eligibility.

weezie
12-30-2012, 01:48 PM

This question makes my gut hurt. Just the effort of trying to think about a player on any other team that I might like.
Yet following up on h43's comment, I feel oddly better while pondering which hole player at any given moment is the worst.
It's a cornucopia over there!

OldPhiKap
12-30-2012, 02:05 PM
This question makes my gut hurt. Just the effort of trying to think about a player on any other team that I might like.
Yet following up on h43's comment, I feel oddly better while pondering which hole player at any given moment is the worst.

Just go over to Inside Carolina after a loss or close win, they are helpful in pointing out the suckitude of all concerned.

hurleyfor3
12-30-2012, 02:46 PM

I rooted for unc once, but I didn't in-Hale.

Les Grossman
12-30-2012, 02:57 PM
is Flip Pressey of Mizzou. 19 Assists vs UCLA Friday night.

Les Grossman
12-30-2012, 02:59 PM
is also fun to watch as someone else mentioned above.

JNort
12-31-2012, 04:16 AM
Trey Burke, CJ Leslie, Lorenzo Brown, and Presse (sp?) of Mizzou

cptnflash
01-01-2013, 02:51 AM
I would like to submit Tyler Haws from BYU. He's back from a 2 year mission and started the year with 6 consecutive 20+ point games and yesterday scored 42 points (an NCAA game high this season) in the rout of Virginia Tech. I actually watched the entire blowout just to see how many points he would get. I enjoy Pangos too but before his explosion Friday night against Baylor, he had been in a slump and seems inconsistent. I'll be interested to see how he does at Oklahoma St. tomorrow.

+1 for Tyler Haws. I saw him in person at the Barclays Center earlier this year against Florida State. He is as intense as any player I've ever seen - totally fearless, mentally engaged on every possession, can score from anywhere, and appears to have a little bit of a mean streak. Really fun to watch.

patentgeek
01-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Another vote for Rotnei Clarke of Butler. He gets off his shot as quickly as anyone I can remember. Plus Butler's enjoyable to watch as a team - they invariably hustle, play good D, and rebound fiercely.

Dev11
01-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Russ Smith from Louisville, better known as Russdiculous. Coolest nickname in sports.

I suppose you didn't follow the Heisman watch.

sagegrouse
01-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Another vote for Rotnei Clarke of Butler. He gets off his shot as quickly as anyone I can remember. Plus Butler's enjoyable to watch as a team - they invariably hustle, play good D, and rebound fiercely.

I want to be the first on the Board to give my Spellcheck alternatives for Rotnei Clark:

Rodney
Ronnie
Rote
Romney
Rotten

sagegrouse

UrinalCake
01-02-2013, 10:15 AM
I rooted for unc once, but I didn't in-Hale.

He didn't in-hale or ex-hale.

Wow, no mention of Cody Zeller. Is it because of his association with his brother? Or because he plays for the school that was ranked #1 over us for a few weeks? Any neutral observer would love this guy's game.

rhymeswithdreidel
01-02-2013, 03:09 PM
His teammate Isaiah Canaan gets a lot of attention, but I'd like to vote for Ed Daniel at Murray State.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=thVOLUcevvs#t=00m46s

Mostly because of his hair.

burnspbesq
01-02-2013, 03:34 PM
He didn't in-hale or ex-hale.

Wow, no mention of Cody Zeller. Is it because of his association with his brother? Or because he plays for the school that was ranked #1 over us for a few weeks? Any neutral observer would love this guy's game.

I think the Butler game damaged Zeller in a lot of people's eyes, including mine. He got massacred on the glass, and was considered a big enough defensive liability by his coaches that he wasn't on the floor with the game on the line in OT.

burnspbesq
01-02-2013, 03:37 PM
I was very impressed by Harvard's freshman point guard, Siyani Chambers, in my first look at him against St. Mary's on Monday night. The Crimson gave away a game they should have won, but Chambers went toe-to-toe with Matthew Dellavadova and gave every bit as good as he got. I think Tommy's got a good one.

davekay1971
01-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Richard Howell, Zo Brown, and TJ Warren, all from NC State. Granted I actively cheer for State when they're not playing Duke, so my choice of players naturally come from the Pack.

Howell is a classic blue-collar lunch-pail guy who's gotten better every year and, this season, is extremely consistent and productive...when he avoids foul trouble.

Zo is a very heady player and very good point guard. He's done a great job shifting into the PG role for the good of the team.

Warren looks like a great kid. He can score, contribute, and I don't see him doing a lot of look-at-me garbage. Like his game, love his attitude, and he's going to be a great player for State if he sticks around a couple more years.

slower
01-02-2013, 05:00 PM

Perhaps a hornucopia?

mapei
01-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Otto Porter. He's the most fundamentally sound player in multiple aspects of the game that I've seen in years. He's almost Battier-esque in his ability to do a bit of everything extremely well in a non-flashy way. Great background, too: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/bigeast/2012/12/03/college-basketball-georgetown-hoyas-otto-porter/1728225/

Billy Dat
01-02-2013, 05:20 PM
There's a lot of good names out there.......Ben McLemore.

This kid is ridiculous. He's moving up the NBA Draft charts with alarming speed and he may move to the top of the list before its all said and done...granted, it's been a small sample size. That Ohio State road win launched him.

ChicagoCrazy84
01-02-2013, 06:12 PM
This kid is ridiculous. He's moving up the NBA Draft charts with alarming speed and he may move to the top of the list before its all said and done...granted, it's been a small sample size. That Ohio State road win launched him.

Thank you! He is so ridiculous, I hope he drops to late first round and my Bulls pick him up :) I didn't realize until recently he was in the 2011 class. Was he just redshirted?

TexHawk
01-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Thank you! He is so ridiculous, I hope he drops to late first round and my Bulls pick him up :) I didn't realize until recently he was in the 2011 class. Was he just redshirted?

Ben McLemore was deemed a partial qualifier by the NCAA before the '11-12 season began. (Same thing happened to Jamari Traylor, Jeff Withey's backup this year.) Bill Self was famously quoted saying that he'd be happy with just making the tournament after he heard that news. Both McLemore and Traylor redshirted but were able to practice with the team after 1st semester. If you recall, that KU team lost to Davidson in Kansas City just before Christmas, and a few players gave credit to those two for pushing them in practice on their way to the title game. KU has a very good S&C program, so you have to think that that semester of practice + conditioning really helped him be ready to contribute right away this fall. (For those interested, McLemore also used the time off to commit to school and posted a 3.2ish GPA his first year.)

McLemore famously played on the same AAU team with Brad Beal, and KU was in heavy on both of them very early in high school. Bill Self wanted Beal badly, as he was more polished and ready to contribute right away. McLemore was just thought of as an athlete with a streaky jumpshot. He left St. Louis his senior year and bounced around to a few schools, which ultimately made the NCAA uncomfortable with his transcripts.

The realist in me knows that the you can't guarantee that the season would play out in the same way (or better) with McLemore and Traylor in the lineup, but man... I can't help thinking what that game against Kentucky would have looked like with those guys available. That team basically played 5 guys, and had a walk-on (Connor Teahan) guarding the #2 pick in the draft in crunch time. Ugh... best to not think about it.

Bob Green
01-07-2013, 06:06 AM
Here is a nice article on State's Richard Howell:

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/notebookweeklywatch130106/pick-n-roll

"Just about every area he's gotten better,'' coach Mark Gottfried said last week. "Daily work habits, concentration level, obviously he's rebounding well. He's scoring a little bit more, he's providing a little more leadership for our team. He's just doing a lot more things."

Ryan Kelly receives some nice ink at the bottom of the article.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-08-2013, 11:59 AM
I am suprised no one has given a vote for Joe Harris from UVA. So he has my vote given his performance vs UNC.

chalz
01-08-2013, 04:20 PM
I am suprised no one has given a vote for Joe Harris from UVA. So he has my vote given his performance vs UNC.

Every time I see him play, it strikes me that Joe Harris would have made a fine Blue Devil. Good athlete, strong fundamentals and superior toughness.

noladevil
01-10-2013, 07:50 AM
Awesome defender, tough, scrappy, smart. That's my nominee for the 2013 Greivis Vasquez Award.

Billy Dat
01-10-2013, 10:50 AM
I don't even know this kid Jamaal Franklin of San Diego State but he may be my favorite player for simply trying, let alone completing, the following flush.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-eXPRat1rwNo/UO5ctrYRwbI/AAAAAAAAAok/DkQvZbX7Bi4/w497-h373/jamaal%2Bfranklin%2Bdunk.gif

David
01-10-2013, 11:16 AM
I have had the opportunity to see Ryan Anderson (BC) play in person several times this year. I really like his game. He is putting up impressive numbers (17.1 ppg; 9.7 rbg). He has a nice shooting touch from 10-15 feet out and he is very quick around the rim. In trying to think about a comparable former Duke player, maybe the closest is Roshown McLeod (although Anderson has a better post game). My only quibble is that Anderson needs to take the ball up stronger sometimes when he has a man on him. However, he is only a sophmore and he is bound to get stronger. Given that he is easily BC's best player, he will not lack for touches. It will be interesting to see him match-up against Duke this year.

newclasspack
01-10-2013, 11:48 PM
Jamaal Franklin from SDSU.. How many players in college basketball are averaging a Double double in points (18) and Boards (10) from the 2/3 spot? PLus there was also this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-stx17fY-I

-bdbd
01-11-2013, 07:37 PM
Good CNNSI article on the NPOY race, featuring Zeller, but calling MP2 "the favorite." They highlight five top candidates:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130111/cody-zeller/?sct=hp_t12_a9&eref=sihp

Billy Dat
01-29-2013, 10:38 AM
This is the most relevant thread I could think of for the following.

Ole Miss' Marshall Henderson can't technically be considered a favorite of mine because I only know him by his recent infamy, which centers around the growing consensus that he is the most over-the-top cocky and braggadocious (is that even word?) player in college ball.

His jersey snapping display in the face of the Auburn student section, and their hilarious, impassioned R-rated response, was an instant classic in the animated gif world
http://deadspin.com/5979569/who-is-this-marshall-henderson-guy-your-guide-to-college-basketballs-most-entertaining-gunner

Regardless of how you feel about such preening, I think we can all get on the Henderson bandwagon tonight as Ole Miss, currently ranked, attempt to put another nail in Kentucky's NCAA coffin. Let's go Rebels!

juise
01-29-2013, 03:23 PM

Ole Miss' Marshall Henderson can't technically be considered a favorite of mine because I only know him by his recent infamy, which centers around the growing consensus that he is the most over-the-top cocky and braggadocious (is that even word?) player in college ball.

His jersey snapping display in the face of the Auburn student section, and their hilarious, impassioned R-rated response, was an instant classic in the animated gif world
http://deadspin.com/5979569/who-is-this-marshall-henderson-guy-your-guide-to-college-basketballs-most-entertaining-gunner

Regardless of how you feel about such preening, I think we can all get on the Henderson bandwagon tonight as Ole Miss, currently ranked, attempt to put another nail in Kentucky's NCAA coffin. Let's go Rebels!

This is interesting. His game in these clips reminds me a little of Adam Morrison. He's like A-Mo's evil doppelganger.

jacone21
01-29-2013, 11:17 PM

Billy Dat
02-20-2013, 03:50 PM
The way Victor Oladipo explodes off of two feet reminds me of one of those cheap toy trinkets that combine a spring and a suction cup sheathed in some kind of kiddie character. You push the device onto a flat surface until the spring compresses and the suction cup sticks. When the suction lets loose, the device violently springs straight up in the air and usually surprises the watcher. That's Oladipo. His hops remind me of Gerald. His feel for making big plays in big moments reminds me of Shane. MAN - that dude is good.

TruBlu
02-20-2013, 04:15 PM
The way Victor Oladipo explodes off of two feet reminds me of one of those cheap toy trinkets that combine a spring and a suction cup sheathed in some kind of kiddie character. You push the device onto a flat surface until the spring compresses and the suction cup sticks. When the suction lets loose, the device violently springs straight up in the air and usually surprises the watcher. That's Oladipo. His hops remind me of Gerald. His feel for making big plays in big moments reminds me of Shane. MAN - that dude is good.

So that's his name! In watching Indiana play the first few times, I was curious as to why the announcers were getting a plug in for "Home Depot" every time # 4 for Indiana did something good on the court.

I guess hearing is the third thing to go.

scottdude8
02-20-2013, 04:26 PM
Trey Burke. If Michigan had a big with Mason Plumlee like athleticism it'd be lob city... they're already halfway there with GRIII. Plus his clutch fadeaway jumpers are incredible.

throatybeard
02-20-2013, 09:27 PM

I loved Steve Hale.

(The Carolina SG, not the character on Full House)

My favorite non-Duke-player in college basketball this year is Sonya Curry. #Musberger

noworries
02-20-2013, 09:34 PM

Harris and Oladipo from IU are probably my faves...Oladipo is such an athlete, Harris kinda reminds me of Jimmy from Hoosiers

newclasspack
02-20-2013, 09:41 PM
Marshell Henderson

Cocky white guys >>>>

Basketball needs more of those

Mike Corey
03-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Some of you mentioned Aaron Craft as your favorite non-Duke player. ESPN has published an ar (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9014023/ohio-state-point-guard-aaron-craft-earns-wrath-fans-michigan-espn-magazine)ticle on why so many people have the opposite feeling about the Buckeye PG, and it will sound familiar in many ways. The author's premise: fans don't like him 'cause he looks just like them. The author interviewed a M*chigan fan--Lipnik--to glean a little more of this perspective.

Lipnik, though, is more open about his predilections than most. "I'm thrilled you said that," Lipnik says when asked about the role Craft's skin color plays in his long-brewing animosity. "I didn't want to be the racist guy who calls out the white thing. But that's exactly one of the main reasons I hate him. He's that rural white guy who thinks he's hard-nosed, the my-dad-taught-me-how-to-play-defense, I-can't-score-the-basketball-if-you-paid-me guy. And everyone hates those guys. They're just ... just annoying."

By "those guys," Lipnik doesn't mean every white player. They are not white international guards like Steve Nash, or mean white big men like Christian Laettner, no matter how despised they might be for different reasons. They are not pure scorers like Jimmer Fredette or wings with a sweet stroke like J.J. Redick. He means strictly this guy: the short (by basketball standards), overachieving American white kid who doesn't pass the eye test, struggles to average double figures yet somehow thrives in the college game.

It's a club reserved for the likes of former Dukies such as Bobby Hurley (1989-1993), Steve Wojciechowski (1994-98) and Greg Paulus (2005-09), Purdue's Chris Kramer (2006-10) and Indiana's Dane Fife (1998-2002). Duke, with its rep as a bookish program with pesky tendencies, has more members in the club than anyone else. Craft's least favorite player growing up was none other than Paulus, now a friend and Ohio State video coordinator. "Slapping the floor and the way he carried himself, I didn't like Greg at all," Craft says. But being a Blue Devil is not vital. They just have to be, as Lipnik puts it so aptly, "that guy."

luburch
03-07-2013, 11:20 AM
This may be a cop-out answer but I'm going with the entire Gonzaga team. I love Mark Few and their style of basketball, and I think it's great for their program to have the number one ranking.

1999ballboy
03-07-2013, 12:12 PM
I can't be the only one who's not at all a Russ Smith fan, can I? I'll grant that he's a great athlete and a very good defensive player, but he's probably the most flamboyant actor I've seen in college basketball in a long time. He flails around looking for the whistle every single time a defender goes near him.

Marshall Henderson is a character, but Eric Devendorf will always be the gold standard among cocky white guys to me.

luburch
03-07-2013, 01:02 PM
I can't be the only one who's not at all a Russ Smith fan, can I? I'll grant that he's a great athlete and a very good defensive player, but he's probably the most flamboyant actor I've seen in college basketball in a long time. He flails around looking for the whistle every single time a defender goes near him.

I can't stand Smith, Siva, or the majority of the Louisville team for that matter.

Henderson
03-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Reggie Johnson. Just because he's become so bad, and there's so much of him to love.

InSpades
03-07-2013, 02:04 PM
Some of you mentioned Aaron Craft as your favorite non-Duke player. ESPN has published an ar (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9014023/ohio-state-point-guard-aaron-craft-earns-wrath-fans-michigan-espn-magazine)ticle on why so many people have the opposite feeling about the Buckeye PG, and it will sound familiar in many ways. The author's premise: fans don't like him 'cause he looks just like them. The author interviewed a M*chigan fan--Lipnik--to glean a little more of this perspective.

Just watching the OSU vs. IU game this week made me respect Craft a ton. He's obviously known for his defense but the shots he hit near the end of that game were spectacular. It was crunch time, pressure time and it didn't seem to bother him in the least. Very impressive. That guy can play for my team any day of the week.

Buckeye Devil
03-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Aaron Craft from Ohio State. On top of being a good player, he has a 3.92 GPA in pre-med and was named the top D-1 academic basketball player in the nation. He is also a overall good guy. Plus, my daughter attends the same school district that Aaron attended.

burnspbesq
03-07-2013, 08:33 PM
I'd vote for Kelly Olynyk if he'd get a gol' darn haircut.

weezie
03-07-2013, 10:54 PM
I'm a thinkin' it's time to put this thread to rest. It's now DUKE time, never mind the other players that a person might enjoy watching.

ALL OARS TO THE HELM!!!!!! :cool:

moonpie23
03-07-2013, 11:20 PM
i'm going with larkin.... such a badA**

BigZ
03-08-2013, 12:14 AM
Skylar Diggens!!

Bay Area Duke Fan
03-08-2013, 12:36 AM
Mike Bruesewitz of Wisconsin. A real scrappy player; plays very hard and much better than you'd expect from a guy who is limited athletically. And he has a great head of red hair!

jv001
03-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Skylar Diggens!!

She is definetly my favorite. She can play basketball and has the looks of a model. GoDuke!

timmy c
03-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Skylar Diggens!!

If you're going to drool you should probably get her name right... Diggins