PDA

View Full Version : Duke sells more Bowl tix than any other ACC team

pokeresq
12-29-2012, 07:05 PM
According to this article in the Charlotte Observer, Duke sold more tix through its athletic department than any other ACC school.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/12/28/3750253/observations-belk-bowl.html

I cant confirm that, but our crowd was loud and supportive, even though the last 80 seconds was a kick in the uh guts. Hopefully with a year to plan for extra days after Christmas we can do even better in terms of support next year!

-bdbd
12-29-2012, 07:14 PM
According to this article in the Charlotte Observer, Duke sold more tix through its athletic department than any other ACC school.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/12/28/3750253/observations-belk-bowl.html

I cant confirm that, but our crowd was loud and supportive, even though the last 80 seconds was a kick in the uh guts. Hopefully with a year to plan for extra days after Christmas we can do even better in terms of support next year!

Wow -- something positive about Duke from the Charlotte paper... Now I HAVE seen it all! :p

This is terrific news. It certainly bodes well for future bowl invitations, as we all know invites are more about crowds and ratings than about FB records. Way to go Duke fans!! I was there and, though it wasn't a sell-out, the Stadium clearly held a pro-Duke crowd. Nice to experience that.

Furniture
12-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Doesn't the fact that the game was in Charlotte have something to do with it?

buddy
12-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Doesn't the fact that the game was in Charlotte have something to do with it?

Probably not. Duke is a national (and international) school, most of whose alums (and students) live elsewhere. For most alums (and students) attending the game meant interrupting the Christmas holidays and making a long distance trip. Charlotte is arguably a day's drive from DC, but more so from New York, Chicago, and certainly the West Coast. It does have the advantage of having a major airport. And I think the date was a hindrance (it was for me). I think this is a pretty impressive showing, and should make bowls willing to pick us in the future, assuming the team gets the job done on the field.

nyesq83
12-29-2012, 11:07 PM
I guarantee thay many many more tickets were sold than were used by human beings to enter the stadium.

Newton_14
12-30-2012, 12:10 AM
I guarantee thay many many more tickets were sold than were used by human beings to enter the stadium.

Duke sold roughly 22K tickets and that pretty much aligned with how many butt's in the seats were wearing Duke Blue. The Duke contingent showed strong, the Cincy contingent, not so much, and the stadium is big.

Duke sold double its allotment which is darn strong for a small private school in a bowl game.

hurleyfor3
12-30-2012, 12:20 AM

Although considering how sparsely attended today's Uconn/Udub basketball game was, I'd say there are now more Duke football fans than Uconn basketball fans. Ladies and gentleman, the Kevin Ollie Era!

uh_no
12-30-2012, 01:02 AM
Although considering how sparsely attended today's Uconn/Udub basketball game was, I'd say there are now more Duke football fans than Uconn basketball fans. Ladies and gentleman, the Kevin Ollie Era!

there was also 4-6 inches of snow in CT tonight, making it dangerous to travel