PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Santa Clara (Dec 29, 2012)

JBDuke
12-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 90-77 win over Santa Clara?

JBDuke
12-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Pretty clearly Seth, IMO. Career high 31 points today, edging Santa Clara's Kevin Foster 31-29.

CLW
12-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Curry with a solid assist from Mason who came on strong in the 2nd particularly at the stripe.

DukeBlueHeart4
12-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Curry with a solid assist from Mason who came on strong in the 2nd particularly at the stripe.

I agree! Seth was impressive but his impressiveness was accentuated by the truly solid play by some other guys (Mason in particular).

Had Marshall made that basket, I just might have had to vote for him. :-) So excited to see the kid get any playing time!

Newton_14
12-29-2012, 02:20 PM
Seth was my MOTM with Mason getting Honorable Mention. Both had monster games, which was critical given Rasheed, Quinn, and Ryan all add subpar games. This was probably Rasheed's worst game of the year. Just could never get it going.

After the rough start, Mason finished 10-15 from the line. Great recovery there.

But Seth was a beast and had all 3 Phases of his game going. 3 Bombs, Mid-Range, and Drives. When he plays like that it is practically impossible to slow him down.

Well done Seth Curry!

dyedwab
12-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Agreed re: Mason's contribution, but Seth took the game over. He made the shots at a time that everyone else was having difficulty - and then it opened up for everyone else.

OldPhiKap
12-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Voted for Seth, but Foster would not have been a bad choice either. Good d on him in the second half, was that mainly Rasheed?

Les Grossman
12-29-2012, 02:25 PM
but I thought Mason also played well, even when no one else was. 22+13+5.

Bob Green
12-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Seth Curry earns my vote. His 13 1st half points were critical as were his 18 second half points. He played a consistent game.

bedeviled
12-29-2012, 02:55 PM
I thought the difference in the game occurred in the frontcourt. However, I voted for Seth due to his offensive variety and ability to find the path of least resistance. Also, it seemed like Foster's fire was equal-opportunity amongst our backcourt.

SupaDave
12-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Mason played the whole game. Hit clutch free throws. Hit BOTH free throws after a flagrant foul. Ran the break. Gave an assist on the break. Provided STRONG leadership. He was the catalyst that helped get Curry open. This was Mason's game hands down in my mind.

Supa "Curry was calm and collected while Ryan was Mr. Everything" Dave

buddy
12-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Can't disagree, but Ryan had a very efffective game, especially on the boards, and leading the break.

DU82
12-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Voted for Seth, but Foster would not have been a bad choice either. Good d on him in the second half, was that mainly Rasheed?

No, Tyler. I almost voted for him as POTM because of how he shut Foster down.

Rasheed looked like a freshman more than any other game so far. Santa Clara played a smart game, and Foster was unbelievable. As was Seth, of course.

Newton_14
12-29-2012, 04:26 PM

Rasheed looked like a freshman more than any other game so far. Santa Clara played a smart game, and Foster was unbelievable. As was Seth, of course.

After Tyler baited Foster into the frustration foul, the SC coach was going nuts in the ref's ear pointing at Tyler and whining about his tactics I suppose.;) I just smiled. It is great fun watching Tyler harass and annoy opposing players.

NovaScotian
12-29-2012, 04:28 PM

Who shut foster down? I'm pretty sure the only thing standing in his way was his foul situation.

I went with mason, because dude played a complete game in every sense, but this should be no slight to Seth who was as smooth and spicy as we've seen him in three years.

DU82
12-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Who shut foster down? I'm pretty sure the only thing standing in his way was his foul situation.

I went with mason, because dude played a complete game in every sense, but this should be no slight to Seth who was as smooth and spicy as we've seen him in three years.

Probably should have said slowed him down instead. But he had a cold stretch in the second half that was directly related to Tyler defending him. His foul situation affected him on D, which is why the first few plays Of the half were directed to Rasheed (who Foster was defending) but not as much on offense.

cptnflash
12-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Is this a trick question?

CDu
12-29-2012, 08:01 PM
Pretty clearly Seth, IMO. Career high 31 points today, edging Santa Clara's Kevin Foster 31-29.

It's a Duke career high for Curry, but not a career high. He scored 30+ points numerous times while at Liberty.

And I don't think it's as clear-cut as you do. I mean, Mason "only" chipped in 22 points, 13 rebounds, and 5 assists...

CDu
12-29-2012, 08:02 PM

Wow. This is fairly inaccurate.

DU82
12-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Wow. This is fairly inaccurate.

Postgame Comments from Coach K: The kid [Kevin] Foster, two seasons ago led the nation in made three pointers and he is their all-time leading scorer. He got really going.Tyler [Thornton] did a good job of holding him down, I think he had 18 in the first half, but when Tyler was on him Tyler did a terrific job on him.
-------------------
As I posted earlier, I probably should have said slowed him down, but I'm not the only one who thought Tyler played good defense on Foster.