PDA

View Full Version : An Open Letter to Duke Football

OldPhiKap
12-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Dear Coach Cutcliffe, staff, and members of the 2012 Duke Football Team:

As a proud alumnus of Duke University, I would like to thank each and every one of you for the efforts you put forth on behalf of our institution this year. We have grown from winless seasons to competitive football in a relatively short time, and the program is clearly on the rise. For some of you, it may be difficult to understand just how mortibund Duke football had been for many years and what an effort it has taken to lift it from the grave. That effort is greatly appreciated.

I would like to especially give thanks to the seniors who helped lead this team, and bought into a new direction at an early stage in Coach Cutcliffe's tenure. Each of you have the talent and abilities to have prospered in other places, with perhaps a more established program. In large part, our future growth is based on your early faith in Duke and in the coaches. We would not be here without you.

I am also grateful for the effort and preparation that went into our bowl appearance, and for the fact that you each represented us so well. Part of sports -- and indeed, part of life -- is recognizing that the most deserving does not always prevail, and that experience often comes from the hardest knocks. But with experience comes stength and character.

Finally, speaking of character, I would like to thank Coach Cut and his staff for what they do for Duke and the character they represent. Loyalty, effort, excellence. If nothing more came out of our program than that, I would be a proud alum. The fact that we have that, and more, is why dozens of non-Duke fans came up to me this morning to tell me how hard they were pulling for you last night. For us last night.

Best of luck to those of you moving on to the next stage in life, and I look forward to seeing many of you back next year.

Go Duke, and go to Hell Carolina!

Sincerely,

OldPhiKap

moonpie23
12-28-2012, 02:10 PM
excellent, AND 1, ditto, yes + and what he said.,......

thanks for summing it up....

Jarhead
12-28-2012, 02:23 PM
I couldn't have said it better. I've had my season tickets for a long time, since the 70s or thereabouts, and I've had thoughts of giving them up. Not a strange thought for people of my years, but now I want to see this team in the new stadium playing toward an undefeated season. GTHCGTH.

dukeofcalabash
12-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Great comments, and yes, I believe that Duke Football is on it's way to glory once again! Improve the recruiting and the fan base and it will be big time football at Duke once again.

Indoor66
12-28-2012, 07:17 PM
I join in this expression of thanks to the team and coaches. They make me proud of their efforts and growth.

burnspbesq
12-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Where do I go to co-sign?

MarkD83
12-28-2012, 09:32 PM
I concur. Thank you for a great season of Duke football.

(Mods, can you keep this at the top of the board for a while.?)

summerwind03
12-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Nice.

chrishoke
12-28-2012, 09:55 PM
l'm happy and proud to echo those sentiments and thanks. You are building something great.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Dear Coach Cutcliffe, staff, and members of the 2012 Duke Football Team:

As a proud alumnus of Duke University, I would like to thank each and every one of you for the efforts you put forth on behalf of our institution this year. We have grown from winless seasons to competitive football in a relatively short time, and the program is clearly on the rise. For some of you, it may be difficult to understand just how mortibund Duke football had been for many years and what an effort it has taken to lift it from the grave. That effort is greatly appreciated.

I would like to especially give thanks to the seniors who helped lead this team, and bought into a new direction at an early stage in Coach Cutcliffe's tenure. Each of you have the talent and abilities to have prospered in other places, with perhaps a more established program. In large part, our future growth is based on your early faith in Duke and in the coaches. We would not be here without you.

I am also grateful for the effort and preparation that went into our bowl appearance, and for the fact that you each represented us so well. Part of sports -- and indeed, part of life -- is recognizing that the most deserving does not always prevail, and that experience often comes from the hardest knocks. But with experience comes stength and character.

Finally, speaking of character, I would like to thank Coach Cut and his staff for what they do for Duke and the character they represent. Loyalty, effort, excellence. If nothing more came out of our program than that, I would be a proud alum. The fact that we have that, and more, is why dozens of non-Duke fans came up to me this morning to tell me how hard they were pulling for you last night. For us last night.

Best of luck to those of you moving on to the next stage in life, and I look forward to seeing many of you back next year.

Go Duke, and go to Hell Carolina!

Sincerely,

OldPhiKap

Well said, OPK! You can add my signature to the bottom of the letter too!
OZZIE4DUKE, and always have been! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifhttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

DukieInKansas
12-29-2012, 12:37 AM
Add my signature to this letter. I joined Iron Dukes for the first time this year because of the football team. I will be making plans to attend a game next season.

PDDuke85
12-29-2012, 08:55 AM
Add my signature to this letter. I joined Iron Dukes for the first time this year because of the football team. I will be making plans to attend a game next season.

Mrs PDDuke85 and I will re-up our season tickets and enjoy our trek from the Charleston, SC area for many seasons to come. Program building with the right man at the helm. I doff my chapeau to the young men who have been instrumental in constructing a truly solid foundation. Go Duke!

jv001
12-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Thanks to the coaching staff and every player on this bowl team. Looking forward to seeing Duke Football getting back to where it belongs.
GoDuke!

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-29-2012, 02:43 PM
FYI Following is a letter just sent out to Iron Dukes from the Seniors on the Football Team.

Dear Iron Dukes member,

As a senior class, we would like to thank you for coming out to cheer us on and show your support of Duke Football at the Belk Bowl! Even though the final score was not in our favor, it was exciting to be a part of a growing tradition of excellence with Duke Football. This was an amazing experience made possible through your support, both at the game and through your involvement with the Iron Dukes. We know you will continue to see improvements with our program - we hope you will continue to be involved with the Iron Dukes.

Again, thank you for your continued support of our team and all Duke student-athletes!

We Are Duke!
Seniors of Duke Football

jv001
12-29-2012, 02:51 PM
FYI Following is a letter just sent out to Iron Dukes from the Seniors on the Football Team.

Dear Iron Dukes member,

As a senior class, we would like to thank you for coming out to cheer us on and show your support of Duke Football at the Belk Bowl! Even though the final score was not in our favor, it was exciting to be a part of a growing tradition of excellence with Duke Football. This was an amazing experience made possible through your support, both at the game and through your involvement with the Iron Dukes. We know you will continue to see improvements with our program - we hope you will continue to be involved with the Iron Dukes.

Again, thank you for your continued support of our team and all Duke student-athletes!

We Are Duke!
Seniors of Duke Football

We may not have had a winning record, but we sure have winners representing Duke University. GoDuke!

CameronBornAndBred
12-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Thanks tons for the post OPK and thanks beyond tons to the team and staff for a wonderful year. I love basketball, but in all honesty Duke Football season is the highlight of my year. It's a series of events that everyone is welcome to and can get into at an affordable cost. What transpired on the field this year was so fun to watch, win or lose. The groundwork has been laid for a solid program that can and will produce solid results. I love being a Duke football fan!

DukeSean
12-29-2012, 11:56 PM
don't think I could've said it better.

I've enjoyed so much about this season, seeing our seniors take us to a land I've never seen as a Duke fan, the development of youngsters, etc etc etc.

Here's to many more football games in December (or January!) ::raises glass::

Son of Jarhead
12-30-2012, 03:07 PM
I couldn't have said it better. I've had my season tickets for a long time, since the 70s or thereabouts, and I've had thoughts of giving them up. Not a strange thought for people of my years, but now I want to see this team in the new stadium playing toward an undefeated season. GTHCGTH.

I've enjoyed sitting next to you for all those years, Pop! No better way to spend most of the Fall Saturdays through out my whole life than cheering on Duke with my Dad. Thanks!!!!

Go Duke!!!! GTHC!

Native
12-30-2012, 08:25 PM
Add me to the signatures! So proud of our team this year. One step at a time. Next on the list is a bowl win and a winning record.

dukie’s_daughter
12-31-2012, 09:49 PM
I agree 100%! Go DUKE! GO DUKE FOOTBALL!

peloton
01-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Thanks OPK for conveying our gratitude to both the football team and entire coaching staff - I don't believe anyone could have said it better. Huge thanks to the seniors for all your dedication, hard work, and the way you've represented Duke University both on and off the field. As a college football but more importantly Duke football fan, I definitely enjoyed the experience of going to the Belk Bowl. This team has laid the foundation for the program's future success and that will be your legacy - you should be very proud of that...we certainly are. Thanks again for the fun season and best of luck in regard to your future endeavors, seniors.

Greg_Newton
01-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Co-sign. I've been too heartbroken to chime in until now, but not in the angry/frustrated way I am after most seasons! Loved watching this team, and really hope we can keep the forward momentum going. Thanks to the seniors for coming here and doing what they set out to do, very exciting times.

nyesq83
01-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Of course, then there are d-bags like this:
http://www.sportsgrid.com/ncaa-football/duke-football-proves-it-shouldnt-even-be-a-thing/

I wish I could accidentally punch him in the gut.

Newton_14
01-01-2013, 07:43 PM
Co-sign. I've been too heartbroken to chime in until now, but not in the angry/frustrated way I am after most seasons! Loved watching this team, and really hope we can keep the forward momentum going. Thanks to the seniors for coming here and doing what they set out to do, very exciting times.

Yeah, me too. Tough loss to swallow. But I co-sign as well. Cut has done a phenomenal job.

Watching the Clemson kids celebrate last night, I allowed myself to imagine Duke winning the Chic-Fila Bowl against a top tier SEC team, somewhere down the road. Baby steps, but you have to dream it to achieve it. One day they will get there.

Dev11
01-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Ditto to all. That final drive against Carolina was one of the most awesome things I've watched as a Duke fan, and I think it represented the total growth of the program. No Roof team was going to lose that fumble late to Bernard and then take the ball back and score emphatically the way Renfree & Co did.

DevilWearsPrada
01-04-2013, 12:29 PM

Ditto to everything you said!!!! Enjoyed the entire trip to Charlotte and the Belk Bowl experience!!!! So Proud of Coach Cut and the Duke Staff, the Football Team, Managers, Cheerleaders, Dance Team, The Duke University Marching Band, The Blue Devil, and all the Great and Dedicated Duke University Football Fans, Alumni, Iron Dukes, and Blue Devil Club members, and Former Duke Football Club members. GO DUKE!!!! WE ARE DUKE!!!! And YES, We have a FOOTBALL TEAM!!!!! ;)

OldPhiKap
01-04-2013, 01:37 PM

Ditto to everything you said!!!! Enjoyed the entire trip to Charlotte and the Belk Bowl experience!!!! So Proud of Coach Cut and the Duke Staff, the Football Team, Managers, Cheerleaders, Dance Team, The Duke University Marching Band, The Blue Devil, and all the Great and Dedicated Duke University Football Fans, Alumni, Iron Dukes, and Blue Devil Club members, and Former Duke Football Club members. GO DUKE!!!! WE ARE DUKE!!!! And YES, We have a FOOTBALL TEAM!!!!! ;)

If you were sitting next to the band, I think you were only a few rows behind me. My son (OPK, Jr.) was the one in the front row, waiving the bright yellow/green "Go Duke" sign that my daughter (Princess OPK) made. I of course was the gruff father with said Jr.

WakeDevil
01-12-2013, 05:06 PM
What is the story behind Blair Holiday not being allowed to return to school? Is there a thread about it?

OZZIE4DUKE
01-12-2013, 11:34 PM
What is the story behind Blair Holiday not being allowed to return to school? Is there a thread about it?

I hadn't heard that. Need more details.

Native
01-13-2013, 10:24 PM

I heard from a professor something along the lines that it's University policy to have students who leave school for medical reasons to miss the following semester for whatever reason. Unfortunately, Blair falls into this camp.