PDA

View Full Version : Nets fire coach; Phil Jackson under heavy consideration

UrinalCake
12-28-2012, 08:20 AM
After a hot start, the Nets have come back down to earth (thanks in large part to injuries) and fired coach Avery Johnson. Rumors surfaced immediately that Phil Jackson would be offered the job, and his agent says he's interested. This would be the least talented team he's ever coached - no Michael, no Kobe. I personally don't see it happening but who knows.

And since people will immediately wonder if John Calipari would be an option, this site says no:

"Sources say the answer to whether the Nets will consider Calipari is an unequivocal no. Moving on ..."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ken-berger/21460091/unrealistic-expectations-from-prokhorov-doomed-avery

Which means it will definitely happen 8-)

lotusland
12-28-2012, 10:40 AM
After a hot start, the Nets have come back down to earth (thanks in large part to injuries) and fired coach Avery Johnson. Rumors surfaced immediately that Phil Jackson would be offered the job, and his agent says he's interested. This would be the least talented team he's ever coached - no Michael, no Kobe. I personally don't see it happening but who knows.

And since people will immediately wonder if John Calipari would be an option, this site says no:

"Sources say the answer to whether the Nets will consider Calipari is an unequivocal no. Moving on ..."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ken-berger/21460091/unrealistic-expectations-from-prokhorov-doomed-avery

Which means it will definitely happen 8-)

I read a Yahoo article speculating that Cal would only consider if given complete control which cannot happen with Billy King in charge.

moonpie23
12-28-2012, 11:21 AM
I read a Yahoo article speculating that Cal would only consider if given complete control which cannot happen with Billy King in charge.

why would Cal even entertain the Nets? the lakers will be calling soon....

Starter
12-28-2012, 11:32 AM

Given King's track record, I'd take my chances with Calipari, even considering his first aborted NBA attempt.

Let's hope someone finds a spot for Calipari in the league soon. Everyone deserves a second chance. (My magnanimity has nothing to do with wanting Karl Towns in Durham.)

UrinalCake
12-28-2012, 03:55 PM
why would Cal even entertain the Nets? the lakers will be calling soon....

Why would Jackson consider the Nets either? Maybe if he thinks he can lure Dwight Howard next summer (remember he'll be a free agent again). Otherwise he'd be better off waiting for a better opportunity; it's almost certain that other openings will come about.

Also, I'm curious about your comment. Do you think D'Antoni is going to be fired? And if so, wouldn't they go after Jackson again?

And since when are there only two or three legitimate NBA coaches available? Where did they all go?

Edouble
12-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Why would Jackson consider the Nets either? Maybe if he thinks he can lure Dwight Howard next summer (remember he'll be a free agent again). Otherwise he'd be better off waiting for a better opportunity; it's almost certain that other openings will come about.

Also, I'm curious about your comment. Do you think D'Antoni is going to be fired? And if so, wouldn't they go after Jackson again?

And since when are there only two or three legitimate NBA coaches available? Where did they all go?

Yeah, if he wanted to coach Howard that badly, I'd think at this point he could call The Lakers and get whatever deal he wants with whatever control level he wants. They've gotta be getting desperate. Especially with The Clippers flourishing.

You've even got Magic saying on Sportscenter that The Clippers are the new Showtime. That's a low blow to the purple and gold.

tommy
12-28-2012, 10:27 PM
The Lakers are not firing D'Antoni. They chose him over Jackson. And the Busses are not the kinds of owners to be paying 3 coaches at the same time -- Mike brown (big), D'Antoni (bigger) and Jackson (ungodly).