PDA

View Full Version : FB: Cincinnati 48, Duke 34 (Belk Bowl) Post-Game Thread

FerryFor50
12-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Story of this game was turnovers, not defense. Huge fumbles inside the 10.

uh_no
12-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Story of this game was turnovers, not defense. Huge fumbles inside the 10.

we can blame the refs all we want....but that was your game....100% more than any bad call.

Newton_14
12-27-2012, 10:19 PM
That's Duke Football. We play well enough to win. Should have won. Did everything right except for the fumbles inside the 5, then the final score makes it appear as though we got blown out. Unreal.

Going in for the winning score with 1:30ish left and find a way to lose by 2 touchdowns. That's hard to do.

Congrats to the coaching staff and team on a good year. You guys are so close. One day those breaks will go your way. Live to fight another day.

FerryFor50
12-27-2012, 10:20 PM
we can blame the refs all we want....but that was your game....100% more than any bad call.

Absolutely. Can't turn it over with the defense Duke has.

FerryFor50
12-27-2012, 10:21 PM
That's Duke Football. We play well enough to win. Should have won. Did everything right except for the fumbles inside the 5, then the final score makes it appear as though we got blown out. Unreal.

Going in for the winning score with 1:30ish left and find a way to lose by 2 touchdowns. That's hard to do.

Congrats to the coaching staff and team on a good year. You guys are so close. One day those breaks will go your way. Live to fight another day.

Hopefully those freshmen use the fumbles as a lesson and grow from it.

summerwind03
12-27-2012, 10:23 PM
Tough loss. My heart aches for the players. But the future is bright for Duke football. I'm proud of them.

uh_no
12-27-2012, 10:25 PM

absolutely

we're going in the right direction. sad to see renfree gone, but we're gonna have a healthy secondary next year, lots and lots coming back....we have a couple good QBs waiting for their shot, they won't be renfree...

but it'll be fun.

on a side note....cinci is losing to UNM in bball....at least that could be some consolation

mike88
12-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Special thanks to all the Duke Seniors - sorry the season ended on a bad note, but you all have done a great deal for the program during your time in Durham

uh_no
12-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Special thanks to all the Duke Seniors - sorry the season ended on a bad note, but you all have done a great deal for the program during your time in Durham

and some of them have an NFL career to look forward to, methinks!

sporthenry
12-27-2012, 10:28 PM

I had to chuckle at this. I guess that is the only bright spot of being a fan of a team that refuses to win, enjoying the different ways that Duke can lose. As a fan of other teams with this remarkable quality, it is nice once the stigma goes away.

Newton_14
12-27-2012, 10:28 PM

Yep. Off season motivation. I felt bad for Snead there. It killed him. Duncan got rocked with an illegal hit so hard to fault him as you could see his body convulse almost. No way you can hold onto the ball when briefly knocked out.

Just so disappointing. Watching the clock close in on one minute, I allowed myself to believe we were going to pull it out. We will never know, but if we don't fumble there, and take the lead with either a TD or FG with under a minute, I feel like that would have sealed it.

I am honestly sick to my stomach. The Seniors deserved better. Then the tipped pass falls right in the guys lap for an easy TD. Sucks.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to say Go To Hell Carolina, you frickin cheaters in both sports.

6th Man
12-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Only duke football can have a win locked up and lose by 14.

dukefriar
12-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Thanks to the team and coaches for a wonderful 2012 season! I was at the Memphis game with my family and loved watching this team become bowl eligible for the first time in years. We can see the growth (and growing pains) and are tasting success! Thanks to Coach Cut, the staff and the players. Keep up the great work - the whole Duke Community is proud of you!

By the way - the Victory Bell resides in Durham!

Next play - who do we open with in August 2013?

Go to Hell Carolina!

weezie
12-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Edit: Oh, and I forgot to say Go To Hell Carolina, you frickin cheaters in both sports.

Hear, hear!

I'm proud of our football Devils. They do it right, no silly sideline antics, no yapping at the camera.
Proud!

A-Tex Devil
12-27-2012, 10:35 PM
What can you do but laugh? That win would have been really, really sweet, but the season Duke had was even more important.

It is *imperative* that this not be 1994 all over again. I think there are building blocks in place (starting with the demeanor of the head guy) to avoid this, but momentum must be maintained.

Time to watch Baylor drop a double nickel on UCLA to begin the Big XII's bowl domination this postseason.

BlueandWhite
12-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Only duke football can have a win locked up and lose by 14.

Yes, tough loss.
I have to throw this in, though -- last time I saw something written about U of Cincy's graduation rate for their scholarship athletes, it was abysmal, something around 20% (or less?) That's pretty unfortunate. Despite this loss, all the seniors (or nearly all) will receive their Duke diplomas, as well as next year's seniors. That's what college sports SHOULD be about. The future is looking up for Duke football, and our players will continue to earn their degrees (the reason why one goes to college), win or lose.
Good night.

Duke1986
12-27-2012, 10:42 PM
What can you do but laugh? That win would have been really, really sweet, but the season Duke had was even more important.

It is *imperative* that this not be 1994 all over again. I think there are building blocks in place (starting with the demeanor of the head guy) to avoid this, but momentum must be maintained.

Time to watch Baylor drop a double nickel on UCLA to begin the Big XII's bowl domination this postseason.

I feel confident in saying that this will not be 1994 all over again. The program is light years ahead of where it was in 1994, both in terms of coaching and in terms of the commitment to the program by the university.

Acymetric
12-27-2012, 10:50 PM

I don't think there's anything that could bring me to laugh right now...I am equal parts proud and hearbroken. Glad we finally made it there, but I've seen that movie too many times. So many games lost because of mistakes. Out-talented doesn't bother me near as much.

That said I really do think we have a bright future ahead of us. Will be interesting to see how QB shakes out next year, and I hope we can come up with some kind of answer on defense.

Most importantly: Thank you to the seniors who got us here, and thank you to past team members who worked hard for 4 (or 5 or 6) years to help bring us to this point. Its a long damn road and we aren't there yet but last time we were in a bowl I was barely 6. Big step. Last time we won a bowl game (1961) I think my dad was probably in his 50s or 60s (ok managed to crack a smile ;))...that's the next step. Lets take some time to appreciate the corner we just turned, keep an eye towards the last few recruits we bring in, enjoy some basketball, and get ready for spring practice!

DueBlevil
12-27-2012, 10:58 PM
This loss was very frustrating, but I think the chances that we get another crack at a win next year are pretty good.

Any thoughts on the future of our defensive coordinator? Hard to ignore the complete inability for the defense to get a stop at the end of any game... our offense seems to come through under pressure but the defense very rarely, if ever, does. I'm not ready to concede that it's purely a player talent-level problem...

Also, a promising thing about this game: Duke looked like it belonged on the same field as a 9-3 Big East co-champion team. They weren't bigger than us, they weren't stronger than us, they weren't faster than us. We made more mistakes, which of course cost us the game, but we looked like we belonged (this has not been true for many years). That, at least, made me happy.

12-27-2012, 10:59 PM
Most importantly: Its a long damn road and we aren't there yet but last time we were in a bowl I was barely 6. Big step. Last time we won a bowl game (1961) I think my dad was probably in his 50s or 60s (ok managed to crack a smile ;))...that's the next step. Lets take some time to appreciate the corner we just turned, keep an eye towards the last few recruits we bring in, enjoy some basketball, and get ready for spring practice!

Exactly. The last time we were in a bowl game, the current Duke freshman class (which I am a member of) wasn't born. It's a huge step forward. It definitely stings to lose a game by your own hand, but we made a huge step forward. I believe in Coach Cut and think we have a bright future. Thanks to the seniors and past classes - this momentum will keep going.

On to basketball!

Mabdul Doobakus
12-27-2012, 11:08 PM
I have no idea how we managed to lose that game. We've done some creative losing over the years, but this one takes the cake. Our best season in years, sure, but you can't be okay with the way this one ended.

I do enjoy DBR's comment that the game was "very tight for about 38.5 minutes before two quick strikes by Cincinnati carried the day." I guess that pretty much lets us know it's time to get back to basketball.

hudlow
12-27-2012, 11:08 PM
If it's any consolation...all those clothes the Cincinnati players got with their Belk charge cards are gonna shrink.

Bluedog
12-27-2012, 11:12 PM
Hey, at least Cincy just lost a heartbreaker in basketball to New Mexico...

Tough game - certainly very entertaining and we had our chances to win. Definitely hard to lose by 14 when driving with the ball at your opponents five yard line with 1:30 to go. Just had a few bad breaks. It's hard to win when you give up 10.4 yards/play and lose the turnover margin by 4, including two fumbles within the 5, yet we almost did just that. Our offense and special teams clearly are quality and can compete at quite a high level, but our defense really limits us. It's almost as if we had to score on every possession - but, in the end, the offense certainly had the chance to win it (or, at least, put us in a good position for the W), and didn't get it done. I feel bad for the seniors, but at least they ended their career with a bowl game and memorable one at that. Crowder and Vernon both end the season with 8 TDs and 1073 yards (looks like Crowder had 1074 yards actually...so close to being identical!).

appeddie
12-27-2012, 11:58 PM
I witnessed this game in person and honestly I still cannot believe the result. I was sitting with my sons, 1:30 or so to play, and I told them that all Duke had to do was run a couple of qb keepers, make Cinn. use their timeouts, and kick the game winning field goal. Am I the only one on this thread that believes the coaches blew this? Jeez.

uh_no
12-28-2012, 12:00 AM
I witnessed this game in person and honestly I still cannot believe the result. I was sitting with my sons, 1:30 or so to play, and I told them that all Duke had to do was run a couple of qb keepers, make Cinn. use their timeouts, and kick the game winning field goal. Am I the only one on this thread that believes the coaches blew this? Jeez.

why? by running the ball with, you know, a running back instead of a QB?

I think the coaches called a pretty good game, actually.

David
12-28-2012, 12:04 AM

The Vegas line closed at Duke +8.5. If you took Duke and the pts, you had to feel pretty good about winning your bet before the fumble. Unbelievable.

appeddie
12-28-2012, 12:06 AM

Overall, I agree the coaches had a good game plan. I was just questioning the last(or next to last, technically) possession.

David
12-28-2012, 12:17 AM

Given that there was still 1:30 on clock and Cincinnati had two timeouts, Duke was playing for 7 (not 3). Hard to argue with that strategy given our Defense.

mgtr
12-28-2012, 12:25 AM
I view this game as Duke behind by a touchdowm, and being unable to score. With minimal time left, we throw up a pass which is intercepted. Cut is unhappy. Spurrier throws hat and headphones on the ground (no that was another game, long ago and far away) Tough loss, but we certainly didn't embarrass ourselves.

sporthenry
12-28-2012, 12:30 AM

It is tough. This certainly isn't the first time Cut's been criticized for some play calling. I didn't necessarily have any problem with running but probably would have kept Renfree under center. But Duke got here in part to the wildcat with Connette and that was just an unlucky break by a freshman.

I like Cut, and he does seem good for this program and for Duke to be in a position to win this game is a testament to his coaching when nobody gave Duke much of a chance. So he does well with that but this also seems to be a recurring theme with his teams in that for as good as they play, they can't get over the hump. UNC was really the first time they did this but it doesn't seem to have caught hold just yet.

FerryFor50
12-28-2012, 01:00 AM
It is tough. This certainly isn't the first time Cut's been criticized for some play calling. I didn't necessarily have any problem with running but probably would have kept Renfree under center. But Duke got here in part to the wildcat with Connette and that was just an unlucky break by a freshman.

I like Cut, and he does seem good for this program and for Duke to be in a position to win this game is a testament to his coaching when nobody gave Duke much of a chance. So he does well with that but this also seems to be a recurring theme with his teams in that for as good as they play, they can't get over the hump. UNC was really the first time they did this but it doesn't seem to have caught hold just yet.

The program has matured. Cut started with a pretty bare cupboard, but has made Duke semi-respectable. I think he'll keep building on it.

throatybeard
12-28-2012, 01:29 AM
The listed attendance was 48,128.

I was there. Even thinking about tickets sold rather than butts in seats, that number seems preposterous.

That said, I was pretty pleased with how we turned out. In the lower bowl, we mostly filled the north and east sides.

Sixthman
12-28-2012, 01:33 AM
Duke's defense was weak, but Cincy was just as weak, but in a different, and ultimately, less damaging manner. The turnovers were killers, and the dropped touchdown pass in the first quarter and the lost field goal at the end of the first half were heart breakers. Still, we only punted once (for 79 yards) in the whole game and dominated the time of possession. There was never any suggestion that they could stop us, only that we could stop ourselves. We did so, and did so painfully. The call that resulted in turning over the ball at midfield on downs really made no sense, and I agree that we mismanaged the play calling that led to the Snead fumble. If we were playing for the touchdown, use the play action and pass it. If we were waiting for the field goal, don't risk the fumble by running up the middle (where they had been fairly tough). Not a very satisfying way to end the season. It's nice to be in the game instead of being run off the field as in our last two bowl games, but in truth, we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

gep
12-28-2012, 02:22 AM

Wasn't this the knock on Coach K at the beginning... can't win the "big" one? Give Coach Cut a bit more time... he'll get there:cool:

Bob Green
12-28-2012, 06:11 AM
Now that it is morning, I can look at the final results from a non-emotional perspective. You cannot fumble twice in the Red Zone and expect to win.

Moving forward, the staff has to figure out how to stop giving up the big plays. There were a lot of positives last night including the offensive line, our running and passing game, the play calling, the
defense for huge chunks of the game, the blocked punt for a TD, our kicker and punter....

Big plays and turnovers killed us.

TruBlu
12-28-2012, 06:25 AM

Not sure about running the QB keeper and FG part, but I do question the play-calling on that series, somewhat. It seemed that we were running plays that were designed more to run clock and kick a FG, rather than to score a TD. (Although in all honesty, with our defense having given up so many big plays, I can see the logic.)

My biggest play-calling complaint is that 4th down and short, where we lined up for a quick play, had to call a time-out, then ran one of the dumbest short yardage plays of the year . . . which predictably failed.

Did not sleep very well last night, but probably in a few days (weeks?), I will be able to view this bowl game in the proper light: Going to a bowl game is a big step forward for the program.

Congratulations to the Seniors, who have been so instrumental in the rebirth of Duke football.

moonpie23
12-28-2012, 07:30 AM
rough ending for a game that was within reach.. :( i thought i was prepared for an "L", but i'm a lot more crushed than i thought i would be.

thanks to Coach Cut, all the players staff and fans who've helped bring the football program back......

roywhite
12-28-2012, 08:12 AM
Just a quick look ahead, and prospects seem good for continued improvement in the Duke program. In the three basic areas of the game, we are in good shape in two:

1. Offense -- Renfree and Vernon are major losses, but the young running backs return, the offensive line will have size and experience, and there is a big-time playmaker at receiver in Crowder. Who better to choose and develop the next QB than Coach Cut?

2. Kicking game -- an outstanding young place kicker, and a very good punter. In the return game, Crowder can be a dangerous weapon, though we don't want to see him get injured and lose time for offense.

3. Which brings us to defense --- which simply has to get better and with any luck at all will not battle the injury plague as much as this past season. Simply must come up with better LB play, an even bigger priority IMO than the secondary and DL, whiere improvement is also necessary.

This team had a taste of success; don't see why they can't continue to get better.

Faison1
12-28-2012, 08:14 AM

I'm actually going to blame ESPN for this one. Both times they flashed the graphics on Duke's last Bowl Game victory in 1961(?), Duke fumbled inside the 5 yard line.

I was cursing them for their totally intentional jinx.

nocilla
12-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Not sure about running the QB keeper and FG part, but I do question the play-calling on that series, somewhat. It seemed that we were running plays that were designed more to run clock and kick a FG, rather than to score a TD. (Although in all honesty, with our defense having given up so many big plays, I can see the logic.)

Congratulations to the Seniors, who have been so instrumental in the rebirth of Duke football.

Well they had thrown the ball a play or two earlier to Conner and he went out of bounds stopping the clock. (not faulting Conner, he ran a great route as it was designed.) They were trying to run as much clock as they could and still score a TD. There was still 1:44 on the clock and they could not get another first down. The announcers said that with Cinn's 2 timeouts, even if Duke kicked a field goal there would still be about 1:10 on the clock. They were having success running the ball so I don't question the play calling there. I felt pretty confident that they were going to run it in with Connette. Snead just had a terribly unfortunate fumble. He stopped his momentum trying to make a cut around his blocker and got hit pretty good. He will learn from it. He said himself that the fumble will make him stronger and I believe him. I am excited about next year!

jv001
12-28-2012, 08:28 AM
A division 1 football team that gives up 50ppg the last five games will not win many games. Our defense must get better and that begins with better defensive players. As roywhite said, it begins with linebackers. However we do need a couple of difference makers for the D line. It's been a long time since we've had one of those. Next Play and GoDuke!

Duke84Blue
12-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Defense is the challenge. The year before Cut took over, we gave up 33.2 points per game and 424 yards per game. Those first two seasons under DC Mike MacIntyre showed drastic improvement (23.4 ppg and 28.3 ppg coupled with 357 ypg and 369 ypg). That improvement did not translate into a whole lot of wins because the offense was still struggling. Then he departed for San Jose State (where he has done an incredible job creating a top 25 team and using that as a step up to Colorado). But, since then, the defensive numbers have regressed to where we are now giving up more points and yards per game than in 2007. Meanwhile, the numbers on the offensive side have just exploded. In 2007, we only scored 17.9 ppg on 271 yards of offense. This past season, we averaged 31.3 points and almost 400 yards of offense! And, that obviously has helped win a handful of games. If we could find a way for our defense to build that same consistent improvement (as our offense has over the last 5 years), that would take the program to where I believe Coach Cut would like to be.

OldPhiKap
12-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Great effort, too many mistakes at critical times.

We need to learn to make winning plays at win time. It's a process.

I am proud of the team and the large Duke contingency at the bowl. Tough loss.

nyesq83
12-28-2012, 10:17 AM
I thought there were some nuances of the game that showed inventive coaching by Cincy, like the 12th man negating the made FG.

In my opinion, and I was at the game, on that drive with 1:30 or so left, Josh Snead was battered and winded, and that contributed to the bad hand-off from Conette.

Most disgusting in my experience was the negativity exhibited by a post-1990 Duke graduate who was obnoxiously denigrating the team while the game was ongoing.

How they could take delight in dumping on what was an extraordinary effort by fine representatives of Duke University is just beyond my understanding.

Completely heartbroken more by their behavior than by anything else. Lack of faith in the team and players was sickening. I had to move away as I inadvertently gut-punched the douche accidentally on purpose.

sagegrouse
12-28-2012, 10:31 AM
Who deserves the emotional roller coaster that is Duke football?

Cincy did not come to play and Duke took early advantage with drives and a blocked punt. When Jela Duncan headed for the end zone to make it 23-3, I was 90+ percent confident of victory. Then he gets knocked unconscious by an illegal helmet hit and fumbles. Yikes! My doubts bubble to the surface.

Ah, but we stop Cincy from scoring near the end of the half and Will Monday kicks it 89 yards (credit for 79) to the one yard line with only a couple of minutes left. Best punt I have ever seen. Then Cincy goes 99 yards in four plays. Duke trails; our 23-3 lead has become a 16-17 deficit.

Less than a minute left and Duke kicks a 53-yard field goal to go back up. Whistles. Flags. "Illegal substitution." Five-yard penalty. Kick over. Miss. Why does an illegal substitution create a dead ball situation? Too many men on the field doesn't. I give Duke a 15 percent chance of winning.

Returning two hours later to watch the second half on DVR delay: Cincy scores on the opening drive -- but only a field goal. After a change of possessions, Cincy scores on a 50-yard run. We are toast, I think. Ah, no. We are Lazarus! We score on two consecutive possessions to take the lead. Cincy scores again, but Ross Martin ties the game on a 52-yard FG.

We stop the Bearcats and drive for the winning score. Clearly, we are going to score. The only question is how much time will remain. I give us a 90 percent chance of winning. Oh no! Fumble at the five. We are going to have to win in OT. Yikes. Another backbreaking long pass! Then an intercepted pass for a TD. (My DVR stopped during the runback.)

Observations:

Long plays given up are a product of having to put so many players in the box on defense: we are outmanned up front. I saw very little double coverage.

We clearly needed to keep a LB to bird dog QB Kay. He had far too many long runs on third down.

Offense looks good. Next year, we will need another quality receiver to keep the defenses honest. Crowder will be double-teamed, just like Conner Vernon was this year. Anthony Boone has looked good on occasions, but I hope one of the other QBs, such as Thomas Sirk, emerges to give us an option. Otherwise, Frank Beamer and his ilk will make sure A. Boone is knocked out for the season, if Duke has only one good QB. Imagine! You can almost kill a player and only get a 15 yard penalty.

Incidental (or not): I have never seen a blocked extra point advanced, and I have been following football since Doak Walker (who?) won the Heisman at SMU.

What is this illegal substition BS?

Silver Lining:

Basketball has a good chance to go undefeated, given that all of Duke's bad luck for the next six months was absorbed by the football guys yesterday.

sagegrouse

sagegrouse
12-28-2012, 10:49 AM
Who deserves the emotional roller coaster that is Duke football?

This was intended as irony and may not have come across as such. Kudos to the football team for a successful and entertaining season and bowl game!

sagegrouse

DUKIE V(A)
12-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Offense looks good. Next year, we will need another quality receiver to keep the defenses honest. Crowder will be double-teamed, just like Conner Vernon was this year. Anthony Boone has looked good on occasions, but I hope one of the other QBs, such as Thomas Sirk, emerges to give us an option. Otherwise, Frank Beamer and his ilk will make sure A. Boone is knocked out for the season, if Duke has only one good QB. Imagine! You can almost kill a player and only get a 15 yard penalty.

I thoroughly enjoyed last night's football game albeit a disappointing result. After the game, I went through the roster to see what we have returning -- though I confess to not being a close enough follower of the football team to truely understand what I was looking at. Seems like QB (Boone??) will be critical to our success...Of course losing Vernon will hurt, but we seem to have some talent at the offensive skill positions. Our coaching and kicking game look strong. How does our Offensive Line look for next year? Who are the key returning defensive players? Do we have many good recruits coming in? I realize these are involved questions, but I am excited by what I saw and hoping we can keep it going.

Bob Green
12-28-2012, 03:38 PM
I'll take a crack at answering your questions:

Seems like QB (Boone??) will be critical to our success...

We also have Thomas Sirk who was a true freshman this year and did not play. With Boone, Sirk and Connette on the roster, plus incoming freshman Parker Boehme (who will redshirt), the QB situation looks good for years to come.

Of course losing Vernon will hurt, but we seem to have some talent at the offensive skill positions.

Jamison Crowder led the team in receiving yards this season with 1025. He benefitted from playing alongside Vernon. The key will be someone stepping up into the roles of number two and number three receiver as Vernon and Desmond Scott graduate. Issac Blakeney and David Reeves return at Tight End. We are solid at running back with Duncan, Snead and Thompson returning.

Brandon Connette will play multiple positions. When healthy he is a real playmaker.

Our coaching and kicking game look strong.

We have our man in Cutcliffe so the coaching situation is solid. Ross Martin and Will Monday are extremely talented.

How does our Offensive Line look for next year?

The offensive line will be a strength with four of five starters and all key reserves returning. The OL is an area where the team has greatly improved in recent years.

Who are the key returning defensive players?

Ross Cockrell is the best cornerback in the ACC. The problem is the second corner - who is it going to be? Kelby Brown, who sat out this entire season due to injury, was a very good linebacker before he was hurt. We need him back and healthy. The defensive line players are all returning. We need major improvement on the defense.

Do we have many good recruits coming in?

Who knows? To be honest, football recruiting analysis seems to be a crapshoot to me. There are team rankings available to review at the corporate sites like Scout and Rivals. I'll refrain from offering up any dimestore analysis. The less I say, the less stupid I'll sound.

DUKIE V(A)
12-28-2012, 05:23 PM
I'll take a crack at answering your questions:

We also have Thomas Sirk who was a true freshman this year and did not play. With Boone, Sirk and Connette on the roster, plus incoming freshman Parker Boehme (who will redshirt), the QB situation looks good for years to come.

Jamison Crowder led the team in receiving yards this season with 1025. He benefitted from playing alongside Vernon. The key will be someone stepping up into the roles of number two and number three receiver as Vernon and Desmond Scott graduate. Issac Blakeney and David Reeves return at Tight End. We are solid at running back with Duncan, Snead and Thompson returning.

Brandon Connette will play multiple positions. When healthy he is a real playmaker.

We have our man in Cutcliffe so the coaching situation is solid. Ross Martin and Will Monday are extremely talented.

The offensive line will be a strength with four of five starters and all key reserves returning. The OL is an area where the team has greatly improved in recent years.

Ross Cockrell is the best cornerback in the ACC. The problem is the second corner - who is it going to be? Kelby Brown, who sat out this entire season due to injury, was a very good linebacker before he was hurt. We need him back and healthy. The defensive line players are all returning. We need major improvement on the defense.

Who knows? To be honest, football recruiting analysis seems to be a crapshoot to me. There are team rankings available to review at the corporate sites like Scout and Rivals. I'll refrain from offering up any dimestore analysis. The less I say, the less stupid I'll sound.

Thanks...I did some reading about Sirk last night and I liked what I read. Renfree is a tough act to follow. Excited about the O-Line. Thanks again!

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-28-2012, 07:41 PM
I thought there were some nuances of the game that showed inventive coaching by Cincy, like the 12th man negating the made FG.

In my opinion, and I was at the game, on that drive with 1:30 or so left, Josh Snead was battered and winded, and that contributed to the bad hand-off from Conette.

Most disgusting in my experience was the negativity exhibited by a post-1990 Duke graduate who was obnoxiously denigrating the team while the game was ongoing.

How they could take delight in dumping on what was an extraordinary effort by fine representatives of Duke University is just beyond my understanding.

Completely heartbroken more by their behavior than by anything else. Lack of faith in the team and players was sickening. I had to move away as I inadvertently gut-punched the douche accidentally on purpose.
I was there also. Arrived a day early in order to participate in all the activities leading up to the game. There was a family of Dukies, two generations including a recent graduate, seated in front of us. There was an ongoing stream of criticism based on "what can you expect from a Duke team." Nearby there was a contingent of Carolina fans performing a similarly distracting ritual of ridicule.

The team did have some ups and downs, but they never gave up even in the face of some of the strangest calls I can remember. The defensive stop of Cincy down at the goal line in the fourth quarter was superb. The most disappointed people last night were the players.

I was at the hotel to greet the players and coaches after the game. Almost everyone else there were members of the coaches' families and players' families. Had this been the men's basketball team, the place would have been overflowing with well-wishers.

One special moment occurred as the team came in from their buses. A little boy was waiting with his family.... one of the few not a member of the coaches' or players' families. Conner was in the middle of a large group of players, almost in a closed rank formation heading to the elevators when he passed by. The little boy called out to Conner. Conner stopped, talked briefly and gave his shoes to the little boy and rejoined the rest of the team headed upstairs.

I'm sad this season ended as it did, but I choose to remember the improved regular season record, beating Carolina and Wake, becoming bowl eligible and playing in a bowl game as some of the highlights. In 2008, these accomplishments were dreams that seemed out of reach. This year at the end of December our men's basketball team is undefeated and ranked #1, our women's basketball team is undefeated and ranked #4 and we're talking football and discussing our bowl game.

Zafort
12-28-2012, 08:02 PM
We should look at this game for future reference the way Coach K responded to a coach who raised a toast to forgetting a humbling loss to UVA in 1983. "No! Here's to never forgetting tonight."

sagegrouse
12-29-2012, 08:59 AM
I watched the Russell Athletic Bowl (Citrus Bowl), won by Virginia Tech over Rutgers in OT, 13-10. Stout defense by Virginia Tech and Rutgers, to be sure, but what ineptitude on offense! Both QBs were around 40 percent, missing receiver after receiver. VT had three (3!) yards on the ground. Rutgers' offense produced three points -- the other seven were on a fumble recovery in the end zone.

Both Duke and Cincy would have beaten either team.

sagegrouse

75Crazie
12-29-2012, 11:23 AM
I watched the Russell Athletic Bowl (Citrus Bowl), won by Virginia Tech over Rutgers in OT, 13-10. Stout defense by Virginia Tech and Rutgers, to be sure, but what ineptitude on offense! Both QBs were around 40 percent, missing receiver after receiver. VT had three (3!) yards on the ground. Rutgers' offense produced three points -- the other seven were on a fumble recovery in the end zone.

Both Duke and Cincy would have beaten either team.

sagegrouse
I have a very hard time reconciling the Tech team that demolished us for three quarters with the Tech team I saw last night.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-29-2012, 02:17 PM
The contrast between the quality of play in the bowl game and the play going on when Duke held the ongoing longest loosing streak in Division 1 is a reminder of the great changes which have already taken place. To focus primarily on the events of the final 1:37 minutes or so of the bowl game is a bit like looking through the wrong end of a telescope.

What a ride... and more to come!;)

CameronBornAndBred
12-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Finally waking up after an amazing trip. I loved all of it except for the final outcome. Thanks to all that came and tailgated with us, not just for the bowl game but throughout the year. This has been an amazing season, and I feel there are only better days ahead.
LGD!!!

OldPhiKap
12-29-2012, 05:15 PM
Finally waking up after an amazing trip. I loved all of it except for the final outcome. Thanks to all that came and tailgated with us, not just for the bowl game but throughout the year. This has been an amazing season, and I feel there are only better days ahead.
LGD!!!

Wish I had found y'all before the game!

DownEastDevil
12-29-2012, 06:09 PM
The contrast between the quality of play in the bowl game and the play going on when Duke held the ongoing longest loosing streak in Division 1 is a reminder of the great changes which have already taken place. To focus primarily on the events of the final 1:37 minutes or so of the bowl game is a bit like looking through the wrong end of a telescope.

What a ride... and more to come!;)

Totally agree with you. I was very impressed with the game plan and the ease we had at executing it. I really believed we were going to come back and tie that baby until Sean was hit. Any other Duke team would have folded the tent when Cincy went up 27-16. I do believe the defense took a hit when Jordon Byas went out with an injury after putting a hit on that big tight end. Sitting at Wild Wings after the game watching the Cincy fans celebrate sure was tough but it sure made me feel better when one told me it was hard to believe we were a 6-6 team and that was one of the best offenses they played against all year.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Totally agree with you. I was very impressed with the game plan and the ease we had at executing it. I really believed we were going to come back and tie that baby until Sean was hit. Any other Duke team would have folded the tent when Cincy went up 27-16. I do believe the defense took a hit when Jordon Byas went out with an injury after putting a hit on that big tight end. Sitting at Wild Wings after the game watching the Cincy fans celebrate sure was tough but it sure made me feel better when one told me it was hard to believe we were a 6-6 team and that was one of the best offenses they played against all year.
Close your eyes and listen to Coach Cutcliffe's pre game speech in the locker room. That's how winners approach the game. He covered the preparation points in a call and response format that could make you want to get up from your seat and run out there with the team. http://video.theacc.com/2059565720001/Belk-Bowl-Cincinnati-vs-Duke-Football-Highlights-2012/videos/

Does this sound like a team who doesn't know how to win? http://video.theacc.com/2059565720001/Belk-Bowl-Cincinnati-vs-Duke-Football-Highlights-2012/videos/

-bdbd
12-29-2012, 07:07 PM

I was there myself. I had lived in Charlotte 1989-1993 and was really impressed how much it had built up, especially "Uptown." When I lived there Uptown was a barren wasteland, where nobody went on the weekends. Now it is really nice, and has an upscale feel, with many nice restaurants and high-end hotels. (Side note: where were all the Cincy fans staying?? It seemed like the Omni, Hiltons, Hyatts, and Ritz's were about 90% Duke-fan-occupied... Great, entertaining game. With 1:30 left we were generally cellebrating the impending Duke victory and Cincy was busy calling timeouts to preserve a little time for a desperation dash down the field at the end. No complaints about a team that played its heart out - a couple miscues were all that prevented a the first Duke bowl win in over 50 years.

Aside, I will certainly be rooting AGAINST Cincy ever getting into the ACC like they want so badly. The fans, I felt, were boorish. They were taunting Renfree as he had to walk along the wall right in front of him at the game's end (with 30 sec to go). One even tried to wap him on the helmet with one of those inflatable clappers you see at pro BB games. I noticed they did the same to several band members at halftime as they walked by, also loudly booing them. Lots of obscenities too. :(

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Devil in the Blue Dress

What a ride... and more to come!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I told the other fans around us in the Duke section, we'll be back, soon, no doubt. This program is definitely headed in the right direction. Thanks for a great game and a great season guys!

I do hope that we can recruit some depth and size (and speed) on the D-side of the ball soon. The offense seems to be upper-half of the ACC quality, but defense still developing.

Bluedog
12-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Renfree had surgery to repair a torn pec he suffered at the end of the game with what should have been an illegal hit. Recovery time is six months... sucks. Probably won't get much consideration from the NFL now. One minute and a FG away from victory. Wishing Sean the best in the future whether it involves football or not. He certainly was a great player for us and brought Duke football to a level we haven't seen in sometime.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205858000&DB_OEM_ID=4200

uh_no
12-30-2012, 04:22 PM
Renfree had surgery to repair a torn pec he suffered at the end of the game with what should have been an illegal hit. Recovery time is six months... sucks. Probably won't get much consideration from the NFL now. One minute and a FG away from victory. Wishing Sean the best in the future whether it involves football or not. He certainly was a great player for us and brought Duke football to a level we haven't seen in sometime.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205858000&DB_OEM_ID=4200

I'm not sure this is a death knell...he'll probably not get drafted, but no doubt he'll get tryouts once he's healthy in may/june....

i wouldn't be surprised to see him on an NFL roster next fall.