PDA

View Full Version : WBB: An opponent's compliment

Jim3k
12-23-2012, 11:31 PM
After Duke won the Women of Troy Classic (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=323570030) final against SC on Saturday, SC's Alexyz Vaioletama, a sophomore forward, said:

"They come out strong, they end strong. They play from the very first half to the end of the game. We've never really played against a team like that, going 110 percent every 40 minutes."

Pretty decent respect for Coach P's charges. Krzyzewski would be proud.

Oh, and the Devils won both games handily. SC gave our women only a little trouble and they won 75-60.

burnspbesq
12-24-2012, 02:45 AM
I attended both games, and while we won both handily, I saw some things I didn't like.

USC killed us on the glass, and beat us to far too many 50:50 balls.

Both USC and Bakersfield got a lot of open threes from the corners against our 1-2-2 zone, and got them out of a pretty simple set. They were cutting a player to the low block on the weak side and then reversing the ball. The person on the low block would then screen the player on the back row so she couldn't get out to the corner, and if the player on the second row closed out hard on the wing to take away the wing three, the corner three was there.

We didn't get much from our bench.

We're still short-handed. Amber didn't dress for either game, and while Richa dressed, she is clearly still favoring the surgical knee and simply can't go.

Kedsy
12-24-2012, 09:55 AM
We didn't get much from our bench.

We're still short-handed. Amber didn't dress for either game, and while Richa dressed, she is clearly still favoring the surgical knee and simply can't go.

Well, assuming both Amber and Richa will be available at some point this season, that surely addresses the bench equation, doesn't it? Add those two to what we already have and we'd have to be one of the deepest teams in the country, no?