PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Plumlee?

gofurman
12-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Anyone know his status? I think he played a minute or two against Cornell but then none vs Elon? Is he for sure to come in in January? Is his issue a broken bone in his foot?

ricks68
12-24-2012, 12:01 AM
Anyone know his status? I think he played a minute or two against Cornell but then none vs Elon? Is he for sure to come in in January? Is his issue a broken bone in his foot?

I wish I knew the answer, but I don't. I just wanted to say that if you hadn't asked this question, I was going to. So? Anyone out there know anything?:confused:

ricks

El_Diablo
12-24-2012, 12:05 AM
Sprained foot. http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/33943/33943/

ricks68
12-24-2012, 12:14 AM
Sprained foot. http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/33943/33943/

I think most of us knew this already, but that appears to me to be just an in initial diagnoses. Since a few days have passed now, it would be nice to know what his status is at this point, and what to expect in the near future regarding this latest injury. Any insider info out there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ricks

Bob Green
12-24-2012, 06:42 AM
Since a few days have passed now, it would be nice to know what his status is at this point, and what to expect in the near future regarding this latest injury.

ricks

During the Elon post game press conference, Coach Krzyzewski indicated Marshall Plumlee would return on December 26. So I fully expect he will be participating in practice preparing to play in the Santa Clara game:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=1157705&db_oem_id=4200

His comments on MP3 start about the 4:15 mark.

oldnavy
12-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Up date for this weekend anyone???

uh_no
12-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Up date for this weekend anyone???

last i read he was expected to play....not sure where i read it though :(

basket1544
12-31-2012, 03:40 PM
Any word as to why he only played 1 minute against Santa Clara? His rebound per minute numbers are phenomenal - so far he has 3 rebounds in 3 minutes!

MChambers
12-31-2012, 03:45 PM
Any word as to why he only played 1 minute against Santa Clara? His rebound per minute numbers are phenomenal - so far he has 3 rebounds in 3 minutes!
Might have had to do with the score. Duke never really put SC away and maybe K didn't want to chance playing a freshman who is just coming back from an injury. Plus, MP2 was having a very good game.

CDu
12-31-2012, 03:47 PM

Because it was a close game and Mason was freaking unbelievable?

And (though I suspect you were posting in jest a bit here) I wouldn't read much into his per-minute rebound numbers. That's a REALLY small sample size. His one rebound against Santa Clara was a case where the ball happened to fall right to him, and the Cornell game was against a really overmatched opponent.

Unless Mason gets in foul trouble or injured, I don't see Marshall seeing very many minutes this year. And even then, I'm not sure he'd see a ton of minutes unless Kelly or Hairston was in foul trouble or injured. Hopefully he proves me wrong (in a good way), but I've seen nothing yet to suggest he's ready to take minutes from either Kelly or Mason.

Indoor66
12-31-2012, 03:48 PM
Might have had to do with the score. Duke never really put SC away and maybe K didn't want to chance playing a freshman who is just coming back from an injury. Plus, MP2 was having a very good game.

I think that is pretty good guessing. Mason was a beast in that game - abusing the SC interior. No way to keep him off the court.

gep
12-31-2012, 03:52 PM
Also, it appears to me that Mason just doesn't get tired going at full speed throughout the game. One point, to me, is that his free throw actually improved as the game went on... making 5(?) in a row... :confused:

appeddie
12-31-2012, 05:11 PM
I would agree that Marshall's minutes, or lack thereof, against Santa Clara were largely dictated by the competetiveness of the game. OTOH, we same him post-game at the WD Inn. He was wearing the protective boot(SOP I assume), but appeared a little down. Perhaps I mistook that as "If you don't mind, I would like to eat my meal with some privacy." In any event, I sure hope he is recovering.

CALVET
12-31-2012, 10:50 PM
Because it was a close game and Mason was freaking unbelievable?

And (though I suspect you were posting in jest a bit here) I wouldn't read much into his per-minute rebound numbers. That's a REALLY small sample size. His one rebound against Santa Clara was a case where the ball happened to fall right to him, and the Cornell game was against a really overmatched opponent.

Unless Mason gets in foul trouble or injured, I don't see Marshall seeing very many minutes this year. And even then, I'm not sure he'd see a ton of minutes unless Kelly or Hairston was in foul trouble or injured. Hopefully he proves me wrong (in a good way), but I've seen nothing yet to suggest he's ready to take minutes from either Kelly or Mason.

If Marshall doesn't get substantial game experience in league play, the front line for next year is suspect. Jabari will probably start as a small four with good length and leaping but with an inexperienced Marshall, an undersized (albeit strong) nonleaper in Hairston, and another scrappy but underweight four in Jefferson the options down low are not national caliber. Maybe another big appears from the woodwork but Duke will be exploited all season if two 6'8" forwards have to man the paint anywhere near half the game next year.

basket1544
12-31-2012, 11:23 PM
The last minute of the game, Coach K brought in Alex and someone else and took out Mason and Seth. I thought it was interesting that they were up 13 and he didn't put in Marshall for Ryan as well. I agree that the lead will have to be pretty significant or there will be foul trouble before we see MP3 for significant minutes, but I just wondered if I missed a post-game comment on the foot. I certainly don't want to take a minute or a point away from Mason this year, but also don't want him gassed at the end of the year.
Oh and yes, I was jesting about the rebounds per minute. He should definitely keep that up! :D

Kedsy
01-01-2013, 01:26 AM
If Marshall doesn't get substantial game experience in league play, the front line for next year is suspect. Jabari will probably start as a small four with good length and leaping...

Jabari is supposed to be 6'8". You think 6'8" is a small college four? OK, in our 11 games so far, guess how many teams we've played whose primary PF is taller than 6'8? OK, I'll tell you. Two -- Kyle Wiltjer, who stands 6'10" for UK and doesn't play inside, and Santa Clara's PF, who is 6'9". While Jabari's offensive game may be more perimeter-oriented, he's plenty big to defend college PFs.

...but with an inexperienced Marshall, an undersized (albeit strong) nonleaper in Hairston, and another scrappy but underweight four in Jefferson the options down low are not national caliber. Maybe another big appears from the woodwork but Duke will be exploited all season if two 6'8" forwards have to man the paint anywhere near half the game next year.

Why are you so sure that Amile is going to be underweight eleven months from now? You don't think 19 year olds with a year+ of weight training put on any pounds?

Also, who is going to "exploit" us all season? You know how many teams we've faced so far who had a center taller than 6'9 who played more than half the game? Three out of eleven -- Noel for UK is 6'10; Ohio State's backup center is 6'11 and played 27 minutes off the bench, and Santa Clara's 7 footer played 22 minutes. So, if our 7' center had played exactly half the game, our backup center would have given up size against UK and for a few minutes in two other games. Ironically, since Mason had foul trouble against UK, Josh was forced to play 14 minutes in the post and we still won the game (which to me means Josh probably wasn't "exploited").

So perhaps you've overstated your concerns here just a little bit.

I certainly don't want to take a minute or a point away from Mason this year, but also don't want him gassed at the end of the year.

I know 2013 is here now, but is it really already time to talk about how a 22 year old kid is going to be tired out two months after he averaged 33 mpg in the early season instead of 31?

cptnflash
01-01-2013, 01:51 AM
I would really like to see Marshall take some of the minutes that Josh is currently getting. We have played two Plumlees together quite a bit over the past two seasons, and I don't see why we couldn't go with Mason and Marshall together for the 5-8 minutes that Ryan is on the bench each game. Given that Marshall has been great in his very limited minutes thus far, and by all accounts has been great in practice, I have to think that physically he's just not ready yet. Something about his foot still isn't right - that's the only thing that makes any sense.

OldPhiKap
01-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Simply stated, we are doomed unless Marshall plays fifteen minutes a game. I do not know why k keeps our two senior all-ACC candidates on the floor, or why he uses a third year player ahead of him.

It's not like being injured since the preseason has slowed down Marshall's practice or rhythm with his teammates.

Color me "baffled."

Having said all of that, though, Marshall seems like a good kid with lots of energy and vertical size. His role will grow over the years and perhaps even the next three months. Patience, Grasshopper, patience.

dukelifer
01-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Simply stated, we are doomed unless Marshall plays fifteen minutes a game. I do not know why k keeps our two senior all-ACC candidates on the floor, or why he uses a third year player ahead of him.

It's not like being injured since the preseason has slowed down Marshall's practice or rhythm with his teammates.

Color me "baffled."

Having said all of that, though, Marshall seems like a good kid with lots of energy and vertical size. His role will grow over the years and perhaps even the next three months. Patience, Grasshopper, patience.

From the comments on the thread we may be doomed for ever more if Marshall does not play. I think if he never plays- he could become legendary and go down as the best "only if" player in Duke history - a player that could have led Duke to 4 national championships had K not been so short sighted.

CDu
01-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Given that Marshall has been great in his very limited minutes thus far, and by all accounts has been great in practice, I have to think that physically he's just not ready yet. Something about his foot still isn't right - that's the only thing that makes any sense.

Let's not get carried away here. Marshall has played exactly 3 minutes. In that time, he has gotten a fingertip on an off-balance leaner by a small guard, caught an offensive rebound that fell right in his lap, looked awkward in his missed putback attempt, and gotten two other defensive boards against an undersized opponent. That is not exactly what I would call "looking great."

Basically, he's shown energy and not much else (neither good nor bad) in his VERY limited minutes. I know we all want Marshall to become a key player, but let's not allow that desire cloud our view of the actual gameplay.

Jderf
01-01-2013, 11:31 AM
From the comments on the thread we may be doomed for ever more if Marshall does not play. I think if he never plays- he could become legendary and go down as the best "only if" player in Duke history - a player that could have led Duke to 4 national championships had K not been so short sighted.

The worst part of of it all, however, is this: If it all plays out how the above posters suspect and Marshall doesn't get at least 20+ mpg this year, it could cause the entire college basketball world -- analysts, fans, other coaches, even players and recruits themselves -- to start perpetuating misconceptions about Duke and the way our staff utilizes big men. Baseless as it may be, they might start a groundswell of rumor-mongering and falsity that will eventually create a stubborn myth, to the point that people may actually believe that going to Duke can only harm the career of a forward or center. Could you imagine what a pernicious effect such a myth could have on our future recruiting and team development? It shakes me to my bones to even imagine it.

cptnflash
01-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Let's not get carried away here. Marshall has played exactly 3 minutes. In that time, he has gotten a fingertip on an off-balance leaner by a small guard, caught an offensive rebound that fell right in his lap, looked awkward in his missed putback attempt, and gotten two other defensive boards against an undersized opponent. That is not exactly what I would call "looking great."

Basically, he's shown energy and not much else (neither good nor bad) in his VERY limited minutes. I know we all want Marshall to become a key player, but let's not allow that desire cloud our view of the actual gameplay.

I've rewatched the brief segments where he played multiple times without taking my eyes off of him, and I disagree that he hasn't shown much besides energy. On offense, he's shown a willingness and ability to set very tough screens, and on defense, he boxes out better than any of our other guys. Plus he plays mean, much like Tyler. Go back and watch him closely, you'll see what I mean. I'm pretty confident that whenever he's physically ready, those traits will translate into very good performance, not necessarily in terms of scoring himself, but in making our team better.

That being said, obviously he's not going to get many minutes with Ryan and Mason playing so well. As I said previously, I'd just like for him to get some of the minutes Josh is getting today. Coach K himself has said that before Marshall got hurt, he was our first and best player off the bench. I want that guy back!

OldPhiKap
01-01-2013, 12:41 PM
The worst part of of it all, however, is this: If it all plays out how the above posters suspect and Marshall doesn't get at least 20+ mpg this year, it could cause the entire college basketball world -- analysts, fans, other coaches, even players and recruits themselves -- to start perpetuating misconceptions about Duke and the way our staff utilizes big men. Baseless as it may be, they might start a groundswell of rumor-mongering and falsity that will eventually create a stubborn myth, to the point that people may actually believe that going to Duke can only harm the career of a forward or center. Could you imagine what a pernicious effect such a myth could have on our future recruiting and team development? It shakes me to my bones to even imagine it.

This is critical. We need to get him in there setting picks, so people can have the RIGHT misconception about Duke.

It's all about branding, people.

CDu
01-01-2013, 12:47 PM
I've rewatched the brief segments where he played multiple times without taking my eyes off of him, and I disagree that he hasn't shown much besides energy. On offense, he's shown a willingness and ability to set very tough screens, and on defense, he boxes out better than any of our other guys. Plus he plays mean, much like Tyler. Go back and watch him closely, you'll see what I mean. I'm pretty confident that whenever he's physically ready, those traits will translate into very good performance, not necessarily in terms of scoring himself, but in making our team better.

I've watched him very closely, and I think you're just projecting what you want to see. Yes, he sets screens. So does Hairston. So do Mason and Kelly. A willingness to set screens is not evidence of "looking great," nor is it a reason he should play over Hairston. And I don't know that you can really say he boxes out better than any of our other guys given such a limited sample. And I'm not even sure what "plays mean" means.

All of the things you've described (at least the ones that are accurate) appear to just be Marshall showing energy. In terms of actual basketball skills, he hasn't yet shown anything either way. And that's what I mean by hasn't shown anything yet. He's energetic and willing. Those are nice traits, but I wouldn't go so far as "looking great." He hasn't shown anything to suggest he should be playing above Hairston.

That being said, obviously he's not going to get many minutes with Ryan and Mason playing so well. As I said previously, I'd just like for him to get some of the minutes Josh is getting today. Coach K himself has said that before Marshall got hurt, he was our first and best player off the bench. I want that guy back!

Coach K also said that Murphy was going to be a starter and key player this year, so I'm not sure how much we should read into Coach K's statements to the media about his players. He is never going to talk down a player to the media, always talking them up. So I don't think we can know if his comments about Marshall are actual evidence of Marshall's level of play or just Coach K talking up his players.

killerleft
01-01-2013, 01:12 PM

I'd like to order a Secret Decoder Pin and MP3 Magnifying Glass!:) I'm expecting Marshall to be a fine player. So far, though, all I can attest to is a freshman with lots of energy and a penchant for physical play. To Marshall Plumlee's good health (clink)!

Edouble
01-01-2013, 01:45 PM
If Marshall doesn't get substantial game experience in league play, the front line for next year is suspect. Jabari will probably start as a small four with good length and leaping but with an inexperienced Marshall, an undersized (albeit strong) nonleaper in Hairston, and another scrappy but underweight four in Jefferson the options down low are not national caliber. Maybe another big appears from the woodwork but Duke will be exploited all season if two 6'8" forwards have to man the paint anywhere near half the game next year.

I don't really care about next year at this point.

I also have to think Marshall is learning quite a bit by playing defense against a probable 1st Team All-American, and possible NPOY winner, in his brother Mason. Does an extra 5-6 minutes of game time this year take us from a Sweet 16 to a Final 4 team in 2014? Impossible to say... but I know the coaching staff is thinking about what banner we could hang this year.

Amile Jefferson has a lot of tools. Describing him as "scrappy", to me, says that he is going to play like someone who is not physically capable at his size and weight to play his position, but will make up for it by playing extra hard. Jefferson is size appropriate to play as a college power forward, and will certainly come in with some extra weight and muscle next season. I am sure that the plan is to bulk Amile up to the correct playing weight by next season. It's not like the guy is gonna leave Duke the same size that he got here. I mean, c'mon, that's what we do. We put weight on guys that need it. Honestly though, I have enjoyed watching Amile play at his current size and don't think that he has gotten pushed around much at all. While he does seem underweight by Duke's listed measurements, he might just be a strong, wiry player.

CALVET
01-02-2013, 07:49 PM

I'll be sure to check in with you in the future to see if any observations or opinions I might have are acceptable to be submitted at that point.:rolleyes: I mean, Geez, at least Kedsey beat me down with just debate on the merits of my entry. No matter what, it appears that none of the paint players on the floor next year will have substantial experience and if Marshall gets hurt or in foul trouble we will be playing two 6'7'"s (Jabarai is listed at 6'7") and a 6'8".

Kedsy
01-02-2013, 11:49 PM
No matter what, it appears that none of the paint players on the floor next year will have substantial experience and if Marshall gets hurt or in foul trouble we will be playing two 6'7'"s (Jabarai is listed at 6'7") and a 6'8".

Another thing to consider is our SF and SG will be pretty tall/long as well, and if we want to, we'll be able to play 6'4, 6'8, 6'8 at PG, SG, SF -- which means we'll probably be able to make it very difficult to get the ball inside, even if the opposing center has 3 or 4 inches on our backup center. I agree it could get a little dicey if Marshall gets hurt or regularly gets in foul trouble, but in general I think we'll be fine.

Also, while Scout has Jabari listed at 6'7, ESPN, Rivals, and RSCI all have him listed at 6'8. I'll go with the majority, especially since he might grow a bit between now and next November.

cptnflash
01-02-2013, 11:58 PM

+1. Why is anyone concerned about next year when this year's team is ranked #1 in the country, has the front-runner for national POY, and has just completed the most challenging non-conference schedule of any power conference team in the country without a loss?

If you insist on looking to the future, look no further than January 12th. We will be undefeated and facing our most difficult road test of the season at NC State. Winning that game will go a long way to cementing an ACC regular season championship and a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. It's the highest leverage game remaining on our schedule.

CALVET
01-03-2013, 04:54 PM
+1. Why is anyone concerned about next year when this year's team is ranked #1 in the country, has the front-runner for national POY, and has just completed the most challenging non-conference schedule of any power conference team in the country without a loss?

If you insist on looking to the future, look no further than January 12th. We will be undefeated and facing our most difficult road test of the season at NC State. Winning that game will go a long way to cementing an ACC regular season championship and a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. It's the highest leverage game remaining on our schedule.

I concede:)

Acymetric
01-03-2013, 05:56 PM
You know, I never really got this "don't talk about next year" mentality. I have time in my life to talk about things currently happening AND things that will or might happen in the future. In college I would talk about what I was doing next semester, next year, and after college. Nobody ever complained that I wasn't simply enjoying the current semester. Why pretend that next year doesn't exist? Talking about it doesn't take away from what we're doing this year. Are we allowed to talk about the next football season or is that also considered looking into the future which somehow takes away from the current basketball season (which we are obviously all talking about in 90% of the non-recruiting thread conversations on the board)?

ricks68
01-03-2013, 07:56 PM
You know, I never really got this "don't talk about next year" mentality. I have time in my life to talk about things currently happening AND things that will or might happen in the future. In college I would talk about what I was doing next semester, next year, and after college. Nobody ever complained that I wasn't simply enjoying the current semester. Why pretend that next year doesn't exist? Talking about it doesn't take away from what we're doing this year. Are we allowed to talk about the next football season or is that also considered looking into the future which somehow takes away from the current basketball season (which we are obviously all talking about in 90% of the non-recruiting thread conversations on the board)?

It's not the theme of the discussion, I believe, but the constant references to how much better we will be, or how we finally have the missing pieces, or something or other that somehow seems to take away from our present team. If comparisons were left out of it, or the subject was treated totally divorced from members of our present team fitting in differently, etc., etc., I believe that the subject would not take away anything from our present team. As it is, however, that has not been the case. That's only my opinion, of course.

ricks

TruBlu
01-04-2013, 07:33 AM

Go ahead and rub it in that you are young! For us older folks, who don't even buy green bananas for fear that we don't have enough time left for them to ripen, we must concentrate on the present (as much as we can concentrate).

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-04-2013, 08:39 AM

I will take you one step further and say that it's wildly premature to be talking about "cementing an ACC regular season championship" when our team is tied for dead last in the conference. Tied for first of course too, but we are many, many wins away from cementing anything.

Go Duke!