PDA

View Full Version : I take offense

ricks68
12-21-2012, 01:55 AM
I'm sorry, but I take offense at Dave Telep saying that Jabari Parker is the missing piece to a Duke championship team. It is my take that he is saying that he does not think our present team is, therefore, not a championship calibre team. In addition, it appears to me that he is not alone in that opinion.:mad:

So, let's see. We trade three outstanding seniors in Seth Curry, Ryan Kelly, and Mason Plumlee for 3 new guys just out of high school. We then add a really good transfer in Hood, and bring back Dawkins.

Now, remember, those 3 newbies have never played college ball, and we still lose our most experienced players---one of which is a serious POY contender. The other two may be our best 3 point shooters. (I know that we have other serious marksmen, but I would pick Seth to take the last shot to win the big game.)

Gee, I remember the 2009-10 team was considered chopped liver, too. I wonder how our present team feels about so many people (including Duke fans) saying that Parker will be the answer.

Why is it that so many people (even on this board) keep putting so much stock in the new, unproven players, at the expense of the great players we already have---especially when the ones we have are so good?

I can understand the excitement, as I was poised at my computer this past afternoon, also. Yes, I was excited. But I was excited in anticipation of being able to watch Parker hopefully develop into a great player at Duke over time--maybe 2 or 3 years. At that point, I could envision enough maturity from him, the players we will still have, and the other new players to bring us a championship. Until then, however, I will support our present championship calibre team without a hint of doubt about their chances to win it all this season.

ricks

-bdbd
12-21-2012, 02:08 AM
Nah. 'wouldn't worry about it.

My interpretation - I could always be wrong - was that he was essentially saying, "this kid could bring a Natty to Duke." He just worded it a little awkwardly. IOW, he was just trying to say how significant an impact Jabari could have here. Take it is a compliment to JP. Nothing like high expectations to live up to, eh Jabari?!!

duke09hms
12-21-2012, 02:15 AM
I'm sorry, but I take offense at Dave Telep saying that Jabari Parker is the missing piece to a Duke championship team. It is my take that he is saying that he does not think our present team is, therefore, not a championship calibre team. In addition, it appears to me that he is not alone in that opinion.:mad:

So, let's see. We trade three outstanding seniors in Seth Curry, Ryan Kelly, and Mason Plumlee for 3 new guys just out of high school. We then add a really good transfer in Hood, and bring back Dawkins.

Now, remember, those 3 newbies have never played college ball, and we still lose our most experienced players---one of which is a serious POY contender. The other two may be our best 3 point shooters. (I know that we have other serious marksmen, but I would pick Seth to take the last shot to win the big game.)

Gee, I remember the 2009-10 team was considered chopped liver, too. I wonder how our present team feels about so many people (including Duke fans) saying that Parker will be the answer.

Why is it that so many people (even on this board) keep putting so much stock in the new, unproven players, at the expense of the great players we already have---especially when the ones we have are so good?

I can understand the excitement, as I was poised at my computer this past afternoon, also. Yes, I was excited. But I was excited in anticipation of being able to watch Parker hopefully develop into a great player at Duke over time--maybe 2 or 3 years. At that point, I could envision enough maturity from him, the players we will still have, and the other new players to bring us a championship. Until then, however, I will support our present championship calibre team without a hint of doubt about their chances to win it all this season.

ricks

Your entire post is misdirected. This year's team is irrelevant to Dave Telep's comment since Jabari would only play next year and could very well be the missing piece to the 2013-2014 team, which is extremely thin in the frontcourt when we lose both Mason and Ryan and only had the unproven Marshall waiting in the wings until Jabari committed today. I think you're being a bit too sensitive. Telep is a balanced writer, and I'm sure he respects this year's team as much as any of us.

striker219
12-21-2012, 02:40 AM
No, this is legitimate. Jabari Parker is the missing piece to a championship team, just like Kyrie Irving was the missing piece to a championship team when he committed in the fall of 2009. So just like that year we'll grin and bear it while we wait for the future. We'll watch a pretty good team this season, and we'll enjoy it, but secretly we're all just waiting for next year. Don't get me wrong, this team is good, what with the experienced seniors and obvious team chemistry, but next year will be amazing. We'll have a superstar recruit joining up with a transfer from a southern school who many say is the best player on the team now, even though he can't play per NCAA transfer rules, and a solid returning cast to surround them.

Yep, next year is going to be sweet.

Greg_Newton
12-21-2012, 03:09 AM
Wasn't he talking about next year's roster?

Seeing as we'll lose three starters, I doubt he's talking about Jabari being the missing piece for our current team.

Dukeface88
12-21-2012, 03:12 AM
Your entire post is misdirected. This year's team is irrelevant to Dave Telep's comment since Jabari would only play next year and could very well be the missing piece to the 2013-2014 team, which is extremely thin in the frontcourt when we lose both Mason and Ryan and only had the unproven Marshall waiting in the wings until Jabari committed today. I think you're being a bit too sensitive. Telep is a balanced writer, and I'm sure he respects this year's team as much as any of us.

I agree. In context, I think it's clear Biancardi (not Telep) saying that Parker is the missing piece for next year's team. After Telep talks about how Jabari fits into next year's roster, Biancardi says:

"I think Jabari Parker is the missing piece for Duke to win a national championship. I think they have a roster returning without Parker that could get them to a Final Four, but I think Jabari Parker is the missing piece to winning a national championship for Duke."

Video here (http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/70614/video-jabari-parker-to-duke-analysis)

MChambers
12-21-2012, 07:29 AM
No, this is legitimate. Jabari Parker is the missing piece to a championship team, just like Kyrie Irving was the missing piece to a championship team when he committed in the fall of 2009. So just like that year we'll grin and bear it while we wait for the future. We'll watch a pretty good team this season, and we'll enjoy it, but secretly we're all just waiting for next year. Don't get me wrong, this team is good, what with the experienced seniors and obvious team chemistry, but next year will be amazing. We'll have a superstar recruit joining up with a transfer from a southern school who many say is the best player on the team now, even though he can't play per NCAA transfer rules, and a solid returning cast to surround them.

I'm trying to remember how a pretty good team did in 2009-2010. Oh, wait, I remember. I'll take that this year!

UrinalCake
12-21-2012, 07:38 AM
We'll watch a pretty good team this season, and we'll enjoy it, but secretly we're all just waiting for next year. Don't get me wrong, this team is good, what with the experienced seniors and obvious team chemistry, but next year will be amazing.

This is either poorly veiled sarcasm or you are insane. This year's "pretty good" team is ranked #1, has beaten three top-five teams and three of last year's final four teams. I literally do not think there has ever been a team with a more impressive résumé at this point in the season, ever. We're starting a freshman who has just barely scratched the surface of his potential, a sophomore who is healthy for the first time, and three veteran seniors who have seen it all yet continue to improve. If you're spending this year simply passing the time while you wait for next season, then I just don't know what to say to you.

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-21-2012, 08:28 AM

Say what? Did you forget to include an emoticon or something?

johnb
12-21-2012, 08:53 AM
This is either poorly veiled sarcasm or you are insane. This year's "pretty good" team is ranked #1, has beaten three top-five teams and three of last year's final four teams. I literally do not think there has ever been a team with a more impressive résumé at this point in the season, ever. We're starting a freshman who has just barely scratched the surface of his potential, a sophomore who is healthy for the first time, and three veteran seniors who have seen it all yet continue to improve. If you're spending this year simply passing the time while you wait for next season, then I just don't know what to say to you.

seems veiled enough that people missed it...

well, I do love the team, and maybe you're just saying the team beat 3, top 5 teams before December--which no one has done--but best resume EVER?

miramar
12-21-2012, 09:20 AM
On the one hand, Telep makes his money by being a recruiting guru, so he's not about to say, "Parker has tremendous upside, but let's remember he's only seventeen and he could have some growing pains just like anyone else. I don't want to create Harrison Barnes-like expectations for the kid."

(And speaking of the Black Pigeon, would you rather have a teenager who's visibly nervous when he announces the most important decision of his young life, or a guy whose press conference is little more than a slick product placement?)

On the other hand, while I love this year's team, I'm also looking forward to a starting lineup of Plumlee, Hood, Parker, Sulaimon, and Cook, with Dawkins, Thorton, Hairston, Jefferson, Murphy, Jones, and Oleye on the bench. Come to think of it, with only the seven substitutes Duke would probably make the tournament.

To think that a little over six months ago, the sky was falling because we were losing Dawkins and Gbinije and couldn't land Parker and Muhammad.

Finally, check out the photo on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jabari_Parker

johnb
12-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Jabari's wiki page includes a section on his "early life" (as opposed to what, his old age?), lengthy discussions of each of his high school years, and 216 footnotes.

Fishbowl, anyone?

snowdenscold
12-21-2012, 10:54 AM

I'm trying to remember how a pretty good team did in 2009-2010. Oh, wait, I remember. I'll take that this year!

This is either poorly veiled sarcasm or you are insane.

Say what? Did you forget to include an emoticon or something?

seems veiled enough that people missed it...

I took it as fairly obvious sarcasm, but I guess that's just me?

moonpie23
12-21-2012, 11:50 AM
sarcasm is debilitated without voice inflection...oh, and eyeballs...

striker219
12-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Yeah, sorry everyone, I guess the joke couldn't make it through the shielded internet tubes I have connected to my end-of-the-world bunker, even though the kid at best buy said they were the best out there.

I was just commenting on similarities between now and fall 2009 after kyrie made his announcement, since we all know how that season turned out. I'm guessing the joke fell flat because expectations are not exactly at the same place now that they were then.

sagegrouse
12-21-2012, 12:44 PM

ricks

Hey Ricks! Is there any reason why we can't win THIS year and NEXT? Have a great holiday. -- sagegrouse

Bob Green
12-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Ricks68, Thanks for a good post! While I do not fault anyone who is currently GGLC (I'm pretty giggly myself right now), the quote below deserves serious contemplation.

We trade three outstanding seniors in Seth Curry, Ryan Kelly, and Mason Plumlee for 3 new guys just out of high school.

Next season's team has the potential to be special but it will be missing a lot of firepower, experience and leadership with the departure of Mason, Curry and Kelly. Those three players currently account for 47.7 of the 80.4 points we score per game. I desire to see this season's team make a strong run toward the national championship.

I expect there will be a lot of solid discussion in this thread over the last 10 days of 2012. The type of discussion that makes DBR a special place to hangout. It is really one of those point/counterpoint type threads so many thanks for starting it!

Hey Ricks! Is there any reason why we can't win THIS year and NEXT? Have a great holiday. -- sagegrouse

There is no reason we can't win two in a row. :cool:

MChambers
12-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Yeah, sorry everyone, I guess the joke couldn't make it through the shielded internet tubes I have connected to my end-of-the-world bunker, even though the kid at best buy said they were the best out there.

I was just commenting on similarities between now and fall 2009 after kyrie made his announcement, since we all know how that season turned out. I'm guessing the joke fell flat because expectations are not exactly at the same place now that they were then.

ahhhhh.

I think we all can agree that any similarities are great.

gumbomoop
12-21-2012, 01:17 PM

Minimum of 3, with Jones, Okafor, and Pinson coming along soon enough. Surely.

Duke's cool, because hot. And vice-versa.

OldPhiKap
12-21-2012, 02:36 PM
You take offense, I take defense.

You never lose if the other team doesn't score.

Edouble
12-21-2012, 03:10 PM
On the one hand, Telep makes his money by being a recruiting guru, so he's not about to say, "Parker has tremendous upside, but let's remember he's only seventeen and he could have some growing pains just like anyone else. I don't want to create Harrison Barnes-like expectations for the kid."

(And speaking of the Black Pigeon, would you rather have a teenager who's visibly nervous when he announces the most important decision of his young life, or a guy whose press conference is little more than a slick product placement?)

On the other hand, while I love this year's team, I'm also looking forward to a starting lineup of Plumlee, Hood, Parker, Sulaimon, and Cook, with Dawkins, Thorton, Hairston, Jefferson, Murphy, Jones, and Oleye on the bench. Come to think of it, with only the seven substitutes Duke would probably make the tournament.

To think that a little over six months ago, the sky was falling because we were losing Dawkins and Gbinije and couldn't land Parker and Muhammad.

True, however, it was also falling because we had just lost to a #15 seed in the first round. At the time, I certainly did not expect us to look this good at this point in the season. I personally thought that Quinn Cook could be as good as he is playing right now, but I never thought that Sulaimon would be doing what he is doing, and that Mason's stat sheet would be approaching Kermit Washington like numbers.

Honestly, if Parker had not announced for us yesterday, I would still feel really good about next year with Hood and Amile at the forward spots.

I wouldn't put a starting lineup of Amile, Hood, Parker, Sulaimon, and Cook outside the realm of possibility though. I think that those may be the best five players on the team next year. I also wonder how Marshall fits with Hood, Parker, Sulaimon and Cook versus Amile's fit. Not having really seen Marshall play, it is difficult for me to know. I just think Amile is so much more versatile on defense and the other four seem like a squad that could really get up and down the floor. Of course, it somewhat depends on Amile's weight/strength gains and Marshall's progress.

OldPhiKap
12-21-2012, 03:23 PM
If I remember my BluePlanet video correctly, Hood did one of the interviews and referred to Quinn as his best friend. Quinn seemed to agree. Boy, it would be great to have those two on the same page already, because I think Hood is off the chain.

Kedsy
12-21-2012, 04:00 PM
I wouldn't put a starting lineup of Amile, Hood, Parker, Sulaimon, and Cook outside the realm of possibility though. I think that those may be the best five players on the team next year. I also wonder how Marshall fits with Hood, Parker, Sulaimon and Cook versus Amile's fit. Not having really seen Marshall play, it is difficult for me to know. I just think Amile is so much more versatile on defense and the other four seem like a squad that could really get up and down the floor. Of course, it somewhat depends on Amile's weight/strength gains and Marshall's progress.

I think we may see a lineup like that for a few minutes each game, and even (as some have been discussing in another thread) Amile, Jabari, Alex (or possibly Semi), Rodney, and Rasheed. Both of those lineups would have the potential to be somewhat nightmarish for a lot of opponents, at least in spurts.

As far as whether Amile would ever start over Marshall at center, it would depend on (a) how much bulk, weight, and strength Amile can put on between now and then; and (b) their relative defensive prowess. From everything we've heard, Marshall is a very strong defender and rebounder, which combined with his height and weight would suggest he'd be the frontrunner to start.

DukieInBrasil
12-21-2012, 04:07 PM
i take offense to the "antiObama bumper sticker" ad at the top of the DBR site as i opened it. I come here for basketball, not politics. In fact, i get a "suspension" for talking politics. DBR needs to get that political ad off the site.

mkirsh
12-21-2012, 04:08 PM

Other than the fact that both teams are lead by 2 senior bigs (one bearded) and a senior guard (wearing #30), both teams have an extremely talented sophomore guard sitting out his transfer year, both teams have a guard wearing #2 from PG county via Oak Hill who has substantially raised his level of play from the prior season, both teams have 2 Plumlees, both teams have a freshman who came to school a year early, and both teams get to watch UNC free-fall out of the top 25, I fail to see any similarities between this year and 2009-2010. ;)

Granted most of this is quite a stretch, but if you believe in history repeating itself it wouldn't hurt to have Ryan Kelly go out and purchase $90k of terrible jewelry. (too soon?)

OldPhiKap
12-21-2012, 04:31 PM
i take offense to the "antiObama bumper sticker" ad at the top of the DBR site as i opened it. I come here for basketball, not politics. In fact, i get a "suspension" for talking politics. DBR needs to get that political ad off the site.

I think those are generated by third party advertisers, and are based in part on cookies or searches in your computer. I checked a flight to El Paso in case we ended up in a bowl there, and have been getting "Fly Delta to El Paso" ads ever since.

Not sure where the ads for porn and corn liquor come from, though. That's my story, and I'm sticking with it.

El_Diablo
12-21-2012, 06:28 PM
If you took offense, you should probably put it back.

ricks68
12-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Ricks68, Thanks for a good post! While I do not fault anyone who is currently GGLC (I'm pretty giggly myself right now), the quote below deserves serious contemplation.

Next season's team has the potential to be special but it will be missing a lot of firepower, experience and leadership with the departure of Mason, Curry and Kelly. Those three players currently account for 47.7 of the 80.4 points we score per game. I desire to see this season's team make a strong run toward the national championship.

I expect there will be a lot of solid discussion in this thread over the last 10 days of 2012. The type of discussion that makes DBR a special place to hangout. It is really one of those point/counterpoint type threads so many thanks for starting it!

I knew guys like you and Sage would get it. That's the point I was trying to make. Kudos to you guys.:)

ricks

Indoor66
12-21-2012, 08:30 PM
If you took offense, you should probably put it back.

It would be worse if he took defense.

OldPhiKap
12-21-2012, 08:55 PM
i took offense from my neighbor, and his dog got out.

I put defense back up for him, and apologized.

(Apple may have randomly changed a word there, never sure)

devildeac
12-21-2012, 10:55 PM
i took offense from my neighbor, and his dog got out.

I put defense back up for him, and apologized.

(Apple may have randomly changed a word there, never sure)

And never forget that defeat go over defense before detail.

ricks68
12-22-2012, 12:23 AM
And never forget that defeat go over defense before detail.

Oh boy.:rolleyes: How do you keep coming up with these things?

Kinda reminds me of when they asked "The Astronaut" how it must have felt to Nixon to have been defeated. Bill Dana's answer was: "Ooooo, that must be painful!"

ricks

cptnflash
12-22-2012, 09:28 AM

This was beautiful, no emoticons needed. Well done. Best satiric post I've read in a long time!

supbros
12-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Telep's right. I think there's a pretty decent chance that Jabari bridges the gap between a sweet 16 team and a ship team next year.

He's ignoring this year's chances because it's his job to comment on Jabari's commitment. Jabari's commitment has no relation to this year's team. It's rather self-centered to think that he's either discounting this year's team or w/e.