PDA

View Full Version : Congrats on the 100 game non-con home win streak: here are some fun facts!

SCMatt33
12-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Here are some fun facts about Duke’s 100 game non-conference home win streak:

• Duke has beaten 64 different teams from 28 different states plus DC. Even with the streak in its 13th season, Duke added two new states to the list (Delaware and Florida).

• With 64 different teams beaten, that means there are 36 repeat opponents. Can you guess the most common? (answer later on)

• Of course, most elite teams have a non-conference home slate that is generally full of unranked opponents. This is especially true for Duke with Coach K’s penchant for scheduling marquee neutral court games. Duke has, however beaten 8 ranked teams during the streak. We should all be familiar with the highest ranked team to go down during the streak, because it was #4 Ohio State this year.

• Duke has had many blowouts, but 3 teams were able to stay within a single possession of Duke.

• The closest game was last year’s 1-point win to open the season against Belmont. This does come with an asterisks, though, because Belmont never actually had the ball with a chance to tie the game thanks to Andre Dawkins. They made a three at the final buzzer for the final margin.

• Second was Indiana in 2006-07. This came at a time when Duke was recovering from its last loss in an in-season tournament (another streak that deserves praise). Indiana was just finding out about Kelvin Sampson’s phone record and the Crazies all had their flip phones out to remind him (remember when we all had flip phones). This was a slow low-scoring struggle, which was the style of that team, but Indiana missed two chances to tie at the end and Duke held on 54-51.

• The last is simply known to me as “The Jimmy Baron Game.” In 2008-2009, Rhode Island stormed into Cameron and actually led for much of the game. Jimmy Baron simply could not miss in the second half, making his first 7 threes. I was at that game, and there were definitely some inappropriate words that I let fly in frustration. Duke was down by as much as 7 with under 10 to go, 6 with under 4, and down 1 with 19 seconds left before two Kyle Singler foul shots put Duke up one. Instead of a guard, Kyle defended Baron on the final possession and got a fingertip on a baseline jumper. After two more foul shots, Baron missed a heave at the Buzzer (his only miss from 3 for the half).

• The streak began on November 14, 2000. What was going on in the world at that time? Well, you couldn’t turn on a TV without hearing something about hanging chads. The 2000 recount were ongoing and we were still didn’t know who the next president would be more than a week after the election.

• Have you had time to think about the most common opponent? If you went with St. John’s, who started the streak by beating Duke in February 2000, you would be so close. They are second, with 6 defeats. The most common with 7 defeats is Davidson. Princeton, Temple, and UNC Greensboro are all tied for third, with 4 defeats.

• I would put something about how many teams were from certain conferences were beaten, but all that can be said on this topic is that one of Duke non-conference wins in the streak was against Boston College.

• The entire list of games can be found as a Google Doc at this link: Here are some fun facts about Duke’s 100 game non-conference home win streak:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq3IQJiqx9-JdGRReDNIZDZQUHpFQUVQM2d6LUFpVmc

Wander
12-20-2012, 11:06 PM
I can think of two eventual Final Four teams that are included in the streak - the 2004/2005 Michigan State team ("Call her back!"), and the 2006/2007 Georgetown team. So pretty impressive.

magjayran
12-21-2012, 12:41 AM
I can think of two eventual Final Four teams that are included in the streak - the 2004/2005 Michigan State team ("Call her back!"), and the 2006/2007 Georgetown team. So pretty impressive.

I was at that MSU game. What was the story with the whole "Call her back" chant?

Wander
12-21-2012, 10:17 AM
I was at that MSU game. What was the story with the whole "Call her back" chant?

Someone can correct me for the details I'm about to get wrong, but from what I remember, some Duke students somehow found out that one of MSU's star players (Paul Davis?) got dumped by his girlfriend the night before the game via text. When he went to shoot free throws, some kids had signs with her phone number on it, and the crowd started chanting "Call her back." I think he missed both free throws.

mapei
12-21-2012, 11:24 AM

I'm not sure it is nearly so impressive afterward, though. Almost by definition, nonconference home games are against lesser competition. It was different back in the day with home-and-homes versus Michigan, AZ, UCLA, St John's. etc. But the plethora of preseason tourneys and the addition of conference games killed that. What it mostly says now is that we beat the teams we should beat in the place where we especially should beat them. We don't lose those games to inferior opponents when we're at home. That's not insignificant, but it's nowhere near as significant as winning all our home games against the conference (which we've done at least a few times).

tommy
12-21-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm not sure it is nearly so impressive afterward, though. Almost by definition, nonconference home games are against lesser competition. It was different back in the day with home-and-homes versus Michigan, AZ, UCLA, St John's. etc. But the plethora of preseason tourneys and the addition of conference games killed that. What it mostly says now is that we beat the teams we should beat in the place where we especially should beat them. We don't lose those games to inferior opponents when we're at home. That's not insignificant, but it's nowhere near as significant as winning all our home games against the conference (which we've done at least a few times).

True, but the landscape has changed for all teams in the same way. Nobody is playing very many true home/road games against top nonconference teams anymore. Sure there are some (in addition to contrived ones like ACC-Big 10 and other "challenge" games) but not all that many. Games like the Arizona-Florida game last weekend are becoming more rare, and it doesn't help when great series like Indiana-Kentucky get cancelled for what I consider to be dumb reasons.

So my point is that a lot of top teams should have long home nonference streaks, but nobody's approaches Duke's 100 gamer. At least not to my knowledge.

devil84
12-22-2012, 09:07 AM
True, but the landscape has changed for all teams in the same way. Nobody is playing very many true home/road games against top nonconference teams anymore. Sure there are some (in addition to contrived ones like ACC-Big 10 and other "challenge" games) but not all that many. Games like the Arizona-Florida game last weekend are becoming more rare, and it doesn't help when great series like Indiana-Kentucky get cancelled for what I consider to be dumb reasons.

So my point is that a lot of top teams should have long home nonference streaks, but nobody's approaches Duke's 100 gamer. At least not to my knowledge.

I found this in the Ohio State game notes against the UNC-A game:

Longest Active HOME Win Streaks vs. Non-Conference Teams (as of 12/12/12, Stats.Inc)

Duke

Missouri

North Carolina

Connecticut

Syracuse

Ohio State

Oklahoma

Missouri hasn't lost at home since November 14, 2005, vs. Sam Houston State, and has extended their streak to 72. Checking Duke and Missouri's schedules for the last three to four years, they play 8-10 non-conference home games per year, to provide some perspective on the difference between the streaks.

I agree with Tommy. A lot of top teams have long non-conference home streaks, but none approaching Duke's streak.