PDA

View Full Version : News & Observer (newsobserver.com) going to subscription model (i.e., not free)

rhymeswithdreidel
12-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Should the DBR reconsider linking to stories at the N&O online? After 15 story (or page?) views a month, folks will be required to purchase a digital subscription. At its least expensive, it will be $5.83 per month ($69.95 per year). For someone who doesn't live in NC any longer, I can't justify this cost. Just hoping that they don't produce more than 15 stories on Duke that I care to read each month; otherwise, I'll be locked out.

Details are here:
http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/12/19/2553045/no-introduces-digital-subscription.html

rhymeswithdreidel
12-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Should've figured, since they share so many stories/resources. Announcement also in today's paper.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/12/19/3734161/observers-new-digital-subscription.html

Bob Green
12-19-2012, 11:45 AM
The Fayetteville Observer has been that way for several years. When you take into account the availability of multiple computers: home, work and weekly trip to public library to feed my addiction to popular fiction novels; 15 articles per month is actually 45, which is more than enough. The bottom line is when I go over my limit I stop reading as I've been denied access to (or been politely asked to leave) far better places than the Fayetteville Observer (and the News & Observer).

hurleyfor3
12-19-2012, 11:53 AM
You can use a different browser (NYT) or Google (WSJ) to suntimes get around this. Neither of these techniques is a secret.

Although if this means it becomes harder to read, say, Caulton Tudor, I'm not sure what the downside is.

moonpie23
12-19-2012, 02:22 PM
in other news, maxell corporation announces price increase on Cassette tapes....

CrazyNotCrazie
12-19-2012, 03:02 PM
For NYT and I believe for WSJ, if you google the title of an article then click on the resulting link, it doesn't count against your total. Not sure if it is worth all the effort, but it can be helpful. Personally, I think this is pointless for the N&O - I highly doubt they will get a critical mass of paid subscribers, and they could end up with a decline in ad revenue from the reduction in casual readers.

TruBlu
12-19-2012, 04:56 PM
in other news, maxell corporation announces price increase on Cassette tapes....

As long as they leave my 8-tracks alone. (And Beta tapes as well)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-19-2012, 05:38 PM
As a Google Chrome user with a local paper that just went paywall (does that really generate revenue?) - all you have to do is use the "incognito" tab or "private browsing" in other apps.

Seems sort of like the lottery - a tax on people who can't figure it out.

Go Duke!

ForkFondler
12-19-2012, 06:14 PM
I have little interest in subscribing to the N&O since I don't read it in a regular basis. But I would subscribe to the Dan Kane network for a more modest fee. Clearly we need some more a la carte options here.

m g
12-19-2012, 07:00 PM
If the N&O paywall is at all like others, it will be easy as anything to get around.