PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations, Jim Boeheim

Faustus
12-18-2012, 12:11 AM
Welcome to the 900 win hundred club. I remember as a little kid watching this guy with glasses and already thinning hair in the backcourt with Dave Bing lead a Syracuse team which Vic Bubas's Duke team was able to beat on their way to a Final Four. And now decades later, Boeheim brings Syracuse into the ACC, which I gather was not exactly his idea, as early as next season it appears. May you add more wins to your record, Coach... against Carolina.

licc85
12-18-2012, 12:33 AM
Next year, there is a possibility we could arguably have 3 of the best 5 coaches in the profession in the ACC: Coach K, Jim Boeheim, and Rick Pitino . . . throw in Roy, Jamie Dixon, Mike Brey, and Gottfried, and it's tough to argue against the ACC being the premier basketball conference going forward if things stay like this. (Which they won't)

Olympic Fan
12-18-2012, 01:15 AM
Next year, there is a possibility we could arguably have 3 of the best 5 coaches in the profession in the ACC: Coach K, Jim Boeheim, and Rick Pitino . . . throw in Roy, Jamie Dixon, Mike Brey, and Gottfried, and it's tough to argue against the ACC being the premier basketball conference going forward if things stay like this. (Which they won't)

Actually, I think they will stay this way for at least a few years ...

BTW: Give Beoheim props for having the most wins at one school (a record he's held since passing Smith's 879 ... K should blow past Rupp at 876 and Smith later this season. He's curtrently at 863 at Duke).

porkpa
12-19-2012, 05:50 AM
This is probably a ridiculous question, but its possible. I've never been much of a Boeheim fan. I find him to be inflexible and almost totally immune from innovation. He probably schedules more gimme games than any other top level coach. I really don't think that a lot of his players improve much on their natural talent.
True, he is older than Coach K. But all he knows is basketball and mybe a little golf. Like a friend of mine said the other day, if Coach K was so inclined, he could run for president and have a chance. Boeheim has a lifetime job and will likely be Syracuse's coach long into his old age.
Basically he's only one long season behind Krzyzewski in lifetime wins.
I think Boeheim doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Coach K, Bobby Knight and Dean Smith.
I hope it never happens.

bjornolf
12-19-2012, 06:16 AM
I'm not even sure what this means exactly, but John Feinstein was on the radio here in DC yesterday, and he said that someone speaking to him on condition of anonymity once said that if hemorrhoids had a voice, they'd sound just like Jim Boeheim.

bob blue devil
12-19-2012, 06:35 AM
This is probably a ridiculous question, but its possible. I've never been much of a Boeheim fan. I find him to be inflexible and almost totally immune from innovation. He probably schedules more gimme games than any other top level coach. I really don't think that a lot of his players improve much on their natural talent.
True, he is older than Coach K. But all he knows is basketball and mybe a little golf. Like a friend of mine said the other day, if Coach K was so inclined, he could run for president and have a chance. Boeheim has a lifetime job and will likely be Syracuse's coach long into his old age.
Basically he's only one long season behind Krzyzewski in lifetime wins.
I think Boeheim doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Coach K, Bobby Knight and Dean Smith.
I hope it never happens.

agree that this is possible; in fact it's more than possible. whoever coaches longer b/w k and boeheim will likely own the record (the chances that boeheim retires the year after k are slim). i certainly have no idea who that will be, as neither is showing any signs of letting up. i agree that it would be a shame for k not to ultimately hold the honor, as he's clearly the more accomplished coach.

OldPhiKap
12-19-2012, 07:01 AM
Congratulations to Coach B.

roywhite
12-19-2012, 07:21 AM
Lots of respect for what Boeheim has accomplished, and Coach K thinks enough of him to have him as a key assistant on the USA teams over the last several years.

However, it seems reasonable to point out that Boeheim seems ethically challenged sometimes, and reluctant to discipline his players. Most recent is a shoplifting incident involving his star young point guard Michael Carter-Williams. Here is an account from a Syracuse paper:

Poliquin: On the matter of Michael Carter-Williams, well, there is no matter (according to Jim Boeheim) (http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index.ssf/2012/12/poliquin_on_the_matter_of_mich.html)

To set the scene, Michael Carter-Williams, the sophomore wonderboy who leads the nation in assists and is second in steals (a talent that will likely be saluted in foreign buildings throughout the winter), had gone shopping earlier in the week here in our town . . . and a much-discussed "misunderstanding" had resulted.

While nobody in the SU house was eager to identify the "misunderstanding" in the days preceding the affair with Canisius, it seemed to have had something to do with unpurchased merchandise -- a bathrobe and some gloves, reportedly -- that had apparently, hmmm, found its way into Michael’s backpack.